• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

The Assassins' Den (guild chat)

I want to try calorie counting again, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make it less.. maddening?

One of my biggest struggles with it is that we often make food at home from scratch. Meal planning is not an option (I have tried suggesting this to Husband, it's just not in his genes). So when it comes time to input my dinner, it turns into "search: Sir Fry; make best guess of the options listed". Also inputting exercises to adjust the recommended caloric intake... I have a hard time believing this is remotely accurate and I don't want to end up starving myself on days with heavy workouts. 

((This based on my experiences with the LiveStrong MyPlate app. I feel like my difficulty is not app-specific (so MyFitnessPal I expect to have the same difficulty with) but I'm open to trying new things))

So... Advice? Suggestions? Anecdotes? Short stories? Etc?

I've tried lots of different calorie counting methods.  I hate them all.  :P  They work while I'm on the wagon, but I always rebel and go back to eating crap.  Also, I hate having that measured of a relationship with my food.  But, that said...

I cook a lot from scratch as well.  In MyFitnessPal you can make meals from scratch and then save them. It takes more time at first, but if you use them again it is there.  Probably more accurate than the random guessing.  Not sure if that's an option in your app, but it helped with the crazy making factor for me.

Hey, Assassins.... this recruit just hit an awesome PR.  20 diamond push-ups.  Go show a little love, ok?

So today, I shocked myself. I did 20 freaking diamond push-up !

I just can't believe it. I'm thankful for this 6 weeks challenge, and all the supports from the community.

You guys really are inspiring and thanks for keeping me reliable !

• Like 1

Hey guys! I hope I'm still allowed here even though for this challenge I'm not an assassin. I keep finding challenges a bit too much pressure with all the rest going on, but I can't be without you guys <3 So I have a battlelog now and it makes me feel like I'm part of the rebellion and then I dare replying on all your threads again!

Much love from me <3 

6e0b13120c255689f7c9942432cda4f24b390009

Ps. Poledancing is awesome. It hurts, though. But secretly that makes it more awesome. :P 

• Like 6

Re: Calorie tracking.

I also find it both effective and annoying. Like annyshay I try to input full recipes of things I make from scratch, so that they'll be there when I make them again. That works really well with snacks I bring to work, lunches I have multiple times through the week, and dinners that I make fairly often. After that I do that thing of finding something *sorta* close in the app database and calling it good. I totally accept that this isn't a 100% accurate tracking method, but it gets me in the ballpark and helps me stay on the straight and narrow.

Of course, I write all this and I fell off the tracking bandwagon two weeks ago. But NEXT challenge I'll be right back at it! ;-)

Hah, the tricky thing here is that we rarely make things the same way twice- we don't follow recipes hardly ever. Aside from days when we make (omg) chicken normandy or something really specific like that, it's usually "pile of whatever veggies we happen to have" and rice, and chicken (various cuts) or bratwurst (from the meat counter, no label to scan). Never the same thing twice :P Unless it's leftovers, but even then, sometimes stuff gets added to it. *sigh* I think guestimation is just going to have to be my friend ;)

Thanks for your input guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with this! We'll see if I can keep it a habit from now until beginning of the next challenge!

Hah, the tricky thing here is that we rarely make things the same way twice- we don't follow recipes hardly ever. Aside from days when we make (omg) chicken normandy or something really specific like that, it's usually "pile of whatever veggies we happen to have" and rice, and chicken (various cuts) or bratwurst (from the meat counter, no label to scan). Never the same thing twice :tongue: Unless it's leftovers, but even then, sometimes stuff gets added to it. *sigh* I think guestimation is just going to have to be my friend ;)

Thanks for your input guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with this! We'll see if I can keep it a habit from now until beginning of the next challenge!

You might check out the Noom Weight Loss Coach.  I've used it as an Android app.  It sorts food into red, yellow and green levels of calorie density, which might make it easier when you're using guesstimation.

• Like 1

You might check out the Noom Weight Loss Coach.  I've used it as an Android app.  It sorts food into red, yellow and green levels of calorie density, which might make it easier when you're using guesstimation.

I'll have to check this out this evening.

In the mean time... What do I do with this? Seriously... We had a little bit of leftover fajita veggies and chicken (mostly chicken) and leftover (homemade) fettucini with yellow squash, bacon, onion, and spices. There wasn't enough of each for a full lunch so I dumped them both on my plate and dug in. How on earth am I going to log this?  :nightmare:

Oy... I just have to keep reminding myself that this will work...somehow. :P

I'll have to check this out this evening.

In the mean time... What do I do with this? Seriously... We had a little bit of leftover fajita veggies and chicken (mostly chicken) and leftover (homemade) fettucini with yellow squash, bacon, onion, and spices. There wasn't enough of each for a full lunch so I dumped them both on my plate and dug in. How on earth am I going to log this?  :nightmare:

Oy... I just have to keep reminding myself that this will work...somehow. :tongue:

This might not be a good way to track but I'll share anyway  :playful: .  I would just log in the estimated amount of chicken and the same for the pasta.  For the veggies, lets say you had a cup of vegetables total.  Rather than logging in each vegetable I would pick one like the pepper and just say I had a cup of that.  At the end of the day I also assume I missed about 100 calories so I try to come in about 100 under my plan.

• Like 3

This might not be a good way to track but I'll share anyway  :playful: .  I would just log in the estimated amount of chicken and the same for the pasta.  For the veggies, lets say you had a cup of vegetables total.  Rather than logging in each vegetable I would pick one like the pepper and just say I had a cup of that.  At the end of the day I also assume I missed about 100 calories so I try to come in about 100 under my plan.

This sounds like probably the least infuriating thing. Particularly because I'm not concerning myself too much with macros or anything like that. 

And behold the ludicrous results of day 1 of trying this out again. I was over until I added 90 minutes of martial arts (because that's the closest thing I could find to specifically capoeira). Jeebus it looks like I starved myself :(

Screenshot_2015-08-31-23-12-11.png

(not pictured: almost 36 oz of coconut water and 14 glasses of water. Good grief!)

I did the calorie counting thing for awhile.  It worked, but yes, it does take a lot of work and can get annoying.  I also went the "giant pile of veggies is easier to track by picking one" route for the most part, and it worked just fine.  It's close enough, and veggies are low in calories anyway, so...*shrug*

If you're still looking for an app to track with, have you tried SparkPeople?  Theirs is pretty good, and it has the option to create food groupings, so if you eat "stir fry" a lot, you can make that a thing and then you can just use that instead of having to enter rice, chicken, sauce, veggies separately every time you have it.  The website that goes along with it has a lot of good info as well, though they're getting a bit too commercialized for my tastes lately (there are some "articles" on there that are sponsored by food manufacturers and are really just advertisements that contain, in my opinion, some questionable advice.  Avoid those, though, and the rest of it is pretty solid, if a bit conventional wisdom).

So, Assassins, who is going to be at Camp at the end of the month???????????????/

To put it another way, WHO AM I GOING TO BE HUGGING AND HANGING OUT WITH???????????????????????????????????????

anigif_enhanced-31818-1438022291-2.gif

• Like 3

This is all really confusing. I'm new here and I'm wondering on how to join the Assassins guild. Any help?

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/58253-challenge-instructions-updated-jan-1-2015/for a good source of information, but in a nutshell:

This 6-week challenge is over today, but when the new challenge forums go up, you'll need to go join up with the Recruits in their forums. Toss up your challenge thread there, and once you've completed that 6WC, then you're free to go to whatever guild you want, including the Assassins! During your first 6WC, an ambassador from the Assassins will come and chat with you to give you encouragement, tips, and answer whatever questions you might have, and you're always welcome in the Assassins Den, too! :)

Does anybody happen to have heard when the new challenge starts? Somehow i have completely missed it.

Admins haven't been following their own posted calendar this year. You're best assuming one week between challenges for "official" start dates. New forums are likely to be up much sooner than that though.

--

• Like 2

So, Assassins, who is going to be at Camp at the end of the month???????????????/

To put it another way, WHO AM I GOING TO BE HUGGING AND HANGING OUT WITH???????????????????????????????????????

anigif_enhanced-31818-1438022291-2.gif

I wish I could...but it's just not in the budget this year (really wish I could catch a MAC flight!)...here's hoping for next year!  Save a hug for me...or do something in effigy...LOL!  

nyankoi110.jpg

• Like 1