DrCalcart wants a new belt...No, not that kind.

Sounds like you had a busy weekend!  That 75 minute yoga sounds amazing.  I used to go to hot yoga a few times a week and I loved it, but it was a little too expensive for me to continue.  Now I'm wondering if I should splurge and go once a week or something.  Also - how did the martial arts class go?

Best of luck going full paleo - sometimes you really do need those honest moments with yourself, even if they're painful to face.  And honestly if you're paying $21 for a burger you should be eating a steak!   ;)

But a crappy steak will be $21 to start, plus side, drink, tax, and tip, and now we're talking $35+!

Martial arts was good. Thanks for asking. I told the Master that I was looking back through the challenge logs and noticed that I got my current belt level a little over two years ago, and he was pretty surprised.

I learned some new fundamentals for my weapon form. I'm learning the two sticks like The Arrow trains with:

arrow_spar.gif

First of all, don't ever do what The Arrow did here. Diggle had a clear shot of his head and back if he just blocked The Arrow's right arm/stick from coming around to his legs.

Also did some kick and strike drills with other people. When I've been gone so long the ol' endurance and balance aren't what they should be for 20 spinning kicks in a row. Dizziness is a real issue :-)

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Diet is really hard. I feel like no matter how far I come the second someone says the word pizza I'm like YOU MEAN A WHOLE ONE FOR ME!?! It's terrible.

I really like how full of hiking your workout plan options are! And all the yoga you're doing is awesome. Those are two of my favourite things.

Diet is really hard. I feel like no matter how far I come the second someone says the word pizza I'm like YOU MEAN A WHOLE ONE FOR ME!?! It's terrible.

I really like how full of hiking your workout plan options are! And all the yoga you're doing is awesome. Those are two of my favourite things.

Yes... pizza is one of my weaknesses. I can do a bunless hamburger (though I won't be happy about it), but a crustless pizza? And nobody can eat just one slice of thin crust. Pizza was why I gave myself a cheat meal this time around, but I think I'm going to try fairly strict paleo for the rest of this 6 week challenge, just to start the keto, before introducing cheat meals.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Week 2: Monday

GOAL 1: Diet

Full paleo day: lunch was the last of my homemade paleo jambalaya, and dinner was a homemade green salad with chicken and homemade dressing.

GOAL 2: Fitness

Hiked... dun dun dun DREADED HILL. 5 miles in about 1h 36m, with a steep hill to climb. This is about average time for me unless I jog any of it. I didn't think my quads would make it after the 4:00 Fitness squats, but no leg issues.

GOAL 3: Active at work

2 Mile walk - check. 4:00 Fitness -- 40/20 pull-ups, 30 squats, 20 lunges, and some core. When I walked out of the building, saw a friend starting a one-mile walk and joined her. Between the walks and the hike I logged about 10 miles yesterday. Not bad for a work day!

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 2: Tuesday

Full paleo day. Lunch was a Mediterranean chicken salad, and dinner was munching on weird cauliflower pancake omelets, failed attempt at making cauliflower tortillas. I came to the same conclusions as the last time I tried making these:

(1)

Notime.jpg

and (2) corn tortillas (the kind that are just corn, water, and lime) are juuust fine.

Sore in the AM. Decided today would be a recovery/cooking day.

2 mile walk at noon and 1 mile at 4:00.

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 2: Wednesday

Uhhh mostly paleo. Lunch was a rice-less small portion entree from Pei Wei + chicken lettuce wraps with no rice sticks. Dinner, was happy hour in between work and attending Shakespeare in the Park -- mini corndogs, osso buco riblets, and wine. That might qualify as paleo enough for me.

Not so much a recovery day as a life day, where you know, I did other things that I enjoy doing that I otherwise couldn't do if I was exercising after work. I saw MacBeth in a small intimate outdoor round theater (seats maybe 60 people). I had never read nor seen the play before, and it was really well done. They loosely set it in post-WWII Scotland. The three sisters were wonderfully eerie, and Lady MacBeth's nighttime terror performance was amazingly well acted!

You know how there's supposedly a curse on the play? None of the players will say the actual title unless they're putting on the performance? They call it The Scottish Play. Well opening night of this show was rained out, with thunder and lightning...in Southern California...in the summer. OOooooo!

Bonus: Watch Doctor Who S3.e2, The Shakespeare Code, for their take on the curse!

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- 40/30 push-ups, 2:00 wall-sit, 20+ lunges, 2:00 plank.

Lag a'mhuilin

Sounds very cool!  I love theater in the round; I just a version of Peter Pan in a 360 theater a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic!

That sounds like a really cool take on MacBeth!! I love when people take stuff and make it their own (if it's executed well at least).

Well executed being the key point....  I performed in a community theater version of Macbeth a couple of years ago and the director was nuts - it was a steampunk/goth/gender-blind/cheap as f**k/hot mess production.   :hopelessness:

Glad you saw a good one, DC, though I'd expect nothing less of a Shakespeare in the Park production!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Week 2: Thursday

Mostly paleo. Lunch – chicken Caesar salad with croutons. Dinner was tacos with homemade shredded chicken that came out sooo good! There are no actual measurements, but I’ll give you the instructions on how to make it:

1. Minimally season (salt, pepper, garlic powder (optional), chili powder (optional)) and roast 2 or 3 chicken breasts at 375F until cooked through (18-20 mins).
  2. Let cool to near room temperature or refrigerate.
  3. Shred by hand (or try other methods and let me know if they work. The blender leaves you with chicken salad sized bits, and that’s too small.)
  4. Add some oil to the bottom of a large pan or wok (Not EVOO – it’s not meant to cook at high temps)
  5. On medium-high heat, sautee the chicken in batches so that it covers the bottom of the pan in 1-ish layer.
  6. Add salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne (go easy, this is the spicy one), and smoked paprika to taste. Go heavy on the smoked paprika.
  7. Keep stirring and tasting to see what else it needs.
  8. You will likely need more smoked paprika and maybe salt. The chicken should be a nice uniformish orange. If the flavor is smokey-sweet enough for you, but the color isn’t there yet, add regular paprika.
  9. Add some dried oregano.
  10. After all the chicken has been seasoned and sautéed, add it all back to the pan on low or now heat and finish with a dash of crushed red peppers, and some cinnamon (the secret ingredient!).
  11. Combine thoroughly and taste.
  12. Does it taste f-amazing? If yes, then stop. If no, add what it needs!
  13. If the meat is for fajitas you’re probably done now. For tacos I add a can of refried beans on low heat and mix thoroughly. This provides the stickiness to keep the meat all together in a tortilla, taco, shell, lettuce wrap, etc.

I also made a batch of 42 or so Moroccan spiced meatballs that I freeze and take to work for breakfast.

Pretty unmotivated today, but I got in a P90X biceps and back workout, the same one I did the day before the challenge. This time, however, I can actually straighten my arms the week after!

2 Mile walk.

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 2: Friday - Sunday

Paleo enough for me: Friday lunch was a balsamic chicken salad from home. Dinner Friday and Sunday was homemade chicken tacos (with corn tortillas). Lunch Saturday was snacking on pieces of chicken. Dinner Saturday was homemade carnitas tacos that my friend made (18 hours sous vide then under the broiler to crispen) and I made guacamole to go with it (Rick Bayless' Simple Guac recipe -- needs more (roasted) garlic and less onion and heat next time.). This was a dry run for a Mexican feast my friend and I are cooking for a party in 2 weeks and it came out great! Sunday lunch was a fat lettuce-wrapped turkey/salami deli sandwich and fruit.

I went out of town (back to the home town of San Diego) this weekend and was a bit worried about getting the fitness and diet stuff in, but the worry was unfounded! Friday evening before I left I attended martial arts training for an hour. Saturday morning, bright and early to beat the sun, I did my favorite 3- mile mountain hike at a pretty brisk pace. At 32 mins up and 23 down, I came to within 5 minutes each of my best times. Saturday afternoon I ended up doing some swimming I hadn't planned on. Got some laps in (that shit is tiring!) and lots of treading water. Sunday morning I did the Yoga with Adriene 45-minute Power Yoga session.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- Led the group in Yoga with Adriene 30 Days of Yoga Day 2 (First 18:30, then wind down to savasana)

All in all a pretty successful week!

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Sounds like an awesome week 2!  And your food for the weekend sounds delicious.  18 hour sous vide??  I can't even imagine how good that was.  So, uh, how does a person get an invite to this Mexican feast??  Cause I will fly to California for that!  ;)

I'm going to have to check out that Yoga with Adriene channel - I'm always looking for new yoga vids!  And it's awesome that you got the folks at work to do some yoga with you!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Week 3: Monday

Uh-oh! Had my first major cheat meal, and it was mighty cheatful. Lunch was fine, but I indulged at dinner: porchetta sandwich, some pizza (they skimped on the toppings and forgot to give me one I paid for, but the crust was amazing!), and as if that wasn't enough, I ended the meal with a single scoop of house-made "chewy chocolate" ice cream from the hipster ice cream place.

Nope. Not today.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- Set a new 2-set push-up record for myself with 50/30. So close to my goal of 90 in two sets. We also did lunges; front, left, and right planks; pistol squats; and some extra core.

The scale was nice to me this morning. I'm down about 6lbs since starting the challenge, but I need to burn some cals today to make up for dinner last night or I'll lose that gain.

Lag a'mhuilin

Hey, congratulations on the weight loss! You have a very solid, achievable challenge here, and I'm sure you'll feel amazing at the end of 6 weeks. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Week 3: Tuesday

Back to paleo. Lunch was a burger bowl and dinner was chicken tacos. (I'm almost out of chicken taco meat!)

Rebel Strength Guide Dumbbell Workout. Really pushed myself. That is a great workout! I think these are better than P90X because they work the whole body.

2 Mile walk.

Lag a'mhuilin

I love the Rebel Strength Guide!  I'm sad they're not distributing it anymore, though I assume it's been worked into the academy?

Sounds like you got right back on track after that cheat meal!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Yeah they worked it into the academy and added even more workouts to it. I've been a click away from joining the academy two or three times now. I'd love to get the workouts, but I think the 6 week challenge format and gamification works better for me than performing random feats (that may not be in my overall plan) for XP.

Week 3: Wednesday

Lunch was grilled sausage, marinated chicken, shrimp, and pineapple, with a side salad, from a South African cuisine place. Their spicy green sauce is the best. Dinner was a balsamic chicken salad.

Today was the first Wednesday so far that I'd been free from recovery or obligation and able to attend the Yoga Challenge class. I weighed myself before and after, and I went from 177 to 174.8. I lost 2.2lbs of sweat! I almost opted for the Yoga for Recovery class instead because the 2:00 wall-sits at 4:00 Fitness blasted my quads, but I tried a few poses at home and was able to support myself just fine, and in hindsight I'm really glad I chose to go.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- Push-ups 45/20, Wall-sit 2:00, Planks 1:00/:30, and some more core.

This morning the scale said 174.4. That marks about 8lbs lost since start of challenge. I'm sure that number will go back up after I hydrate, but two weeks ago the jeans I'm wearing now were tight on me, and now I'm aaaalmost at the next belt hole. There's no turning back this time.

• Like 3

Lag a'mhuilin

8lbs down is phenomenal! Good work. 

I'm also impressed that you managed to find a restaurant where you could figure out a paleo meal. I have so much trouble with that.

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

Maybe it's the city I'm in, but I have no trouble finding places to eat grain-free foods. There are at least 4 places near my work where I can get salads and grilled meats. My favorite burger place near my house will lettuce-wrap any of their burgers and sandwiches, and I can load it up with roasted red peppers, cucumbers, bacon, etc. Mediterranean food places are the easiest -- just have to avoid rice and pita. It helps that salad is legitimately one of my favorite foods (but most places are terrible at making good ones).

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Yeah, even finding a good salad is an achievement in my neck of the woods. I'm sure having those places around helps a lot with eating paleo. 

Week 3: Thursday

Lunch - salmon salad from a new place. Verdict: salmon was good. Dressing was good. Salad was really meh -- mostly white cabbage. Dinner - balsamic chicken salad. The salads I make for myself are always the best salads!

Just after remarking the day before that Wednesday was the first post-workout day of the challenge that I hadn't felt weak, I could feel my quads on the verge of rebellion while I was walking to lunch/going up and down stairs, so I decided to take it easy that evening.

2 Mile walk.

I weighed myself this morning (Friday). I know I shouldn't expect a real linear trend when weighing in so often, but I was curious to see if after a day of hydration the numbers had gone up. Nope! Down a little actually: 174.2. I'm almost to where I was before my last challenge. My weight goal for this challenge is to get out of the 170s all together. I think that's doable.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

I weighed myself this morning (Friday). I know I shouldn't expect a real linear trend when weighing in so often, but I was curious to see if after a day of hydration the numbers had gone up. Nope! Down a little actually: 174.2. I'm almost to where I was before my last challenge. My weight goal for this challenge is to get out of the 170s all together. I think that's doable.

Totally doable!  You're doing fantastic!  

I usually don't have problems finding paleo choices at restaurants, but I'm not *super* strict when I go out to eat, either.  I avoid grains, legumes, etc but go easy on things like cooking oils or hidden sugar.  Finding a salad or meat + veggie works pretty well.  I get to eat some pretty yummy stuff anyway, which makes me feel better about the times I have to settle for a really crap salad.

• Like 1

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Nice job on the weight-loss!! Getting out of the 170's should be easy to do this challenge since we're only halfway through it!

Out of curiosity, what makes your salads so fabulous? Would you mind sharing your secrets? :) I don't eat salads that often because when I make them they're typically boring. Chicken, spinach, and salsa is about as exciting as it gets. lol

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

This is my typical salad (everything fresh, not that bagged stuff). I make this or something like it just about every week.

THE SALAD

1) Romaine lettuce

2) Some other dark leaf like spinach, kale, or chard

Break the leaves apart into manageable bits, rinse and dry (in a salad spinner if you've got it).

3) Cucumbers (I love those small Persian ones, 4 or 5 of them, but otherwise I get one of those long hot house cucumbers)

4) 1 Bell pepper (I prefer green, but to each their own)

5) 1 or 2 stalks of celery

6) broccoli

For 3-6, consistent cut size is the key. Large 1/2-3/4" bits or smaller 1/4" dices. Everything should have the same general size so that it has an equal shot at contributing to the flavor of each bite or few.

7) 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced

8) Fresh basil, chopped fine (optional because expensive, but awesome!)

The above salad is enough for 3-5 full plate's worth and will keep well in a large tupperware-like container for about a week. The first thing to go will be the cucumbers.

9) Tomatoes, I like the small grape ones because they seem to have more flavor than larger store-bought tomatoes. Basically choose tomatoes with actual flavor.

Do not put the tomatoes in the fridge with the rest of the salad! Cold will ruin the flavor. Add your tomatoes just before tossing it with dressing...

THE DRESSING

This is my typical dressing. All the herbs are dry.

1) Olive oil

2) Black Pepper, fresh ground

3) Thyme

4) Basil

5) Oregano

6) Tarragon

7) Garlic powder

8) Balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)

Preparation - a bit unorthodox to mix it all on top of the salad, but it's fast and works for me.

1. Put a serving of salad in a large bowl.
  2. Drizzle olive oil to lightly coat everything and mix.
  3. Add about 10-12 turns of pepper, a light sprinkle of thyme and oregano, a generous sprinkle of basil, tarragon, and garlic powder.
  4. The top of the salad should now be pretty well coated with herbs and spices. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and mix thoroughly.
  5. Finally, add just enough vinegar so that all the veggies get some upon mixing, but it shouldn't saturate the salad. Taste.

After plating (or before tossing) the salad, add fresh grated Parmesan (with a microplane!) or bite-sized chunks of soft fresh mozzarella.

Finally, I've mentioned in my posts that I've been eating "Balsamic Chicken Salad." That's because I had made a batch of slow-cooked balsamic chicken thighs, and they're excellent for cutting up and searing a bit in a wok or pan, letting cool slightly, then tossing into salad. It's even better when the chicken is still a bit warm because it will slightly wilt the dark greens.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Mmmm that salad sounds amazing!  Definitely going to have to steal some of your tips!

Everything should have the same general size so that it has an equal shot at contributing to the flavor of each bite or few.

This is my go-to guide for salads - in fact, I generally do chopped salads, with the lettuce and all veg in little bite size pieces, to maximize scoopage and getting everything into one bite.  I'm not a fan of unwieldy salads where you're basically eating a veggie tray with a fork.  ;)

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger