DrCalcart wants a new belt...No, not that kind.

Week 3: Friday & Saturday

GOAL 1: Diet

Fri Lunch: Chicken, caesar salad, and broccolini

Fri Dinner: Shredded chicken taquitos (the last of the chicken taco meat I made)

Sat Lunch: A glorious hamburger, with bun :( -- honestly hamburgers are my favorite food, and no diet that denies me them will be successful long term.

Sat Dinner: Balsamic chicken salad.

GOAL 2: Fitness

Friday after work I went to martial arts training. We practiced some archery, my current belt's weapon, and some combo kick drills.

Saturday evening I did the Rebel Strength Guide's Dumbbell Division Workout Rank 2B. Managed 15 chin-ups over the course of the workout, which is nearly double what I've managed during my best previous workout this challenge (but still about half my personal best).

GOAL 3: Active at work

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- everyone was too busy for the full workout, but I got them to join me for push-ups. I did one set of 41.

I'm trying to plan workouts and meals this week around the necessity to prep/cook a bunch of stuff for the Mexican fiesta my friend and I are putting on next Saturday. I have to make salsa and cook and shred chicken before Friday and time the buying of avocados juuuust right.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

I get so upset when the avocados at the store are bad! Good luck, avocado seeker. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

LATE BREAKING NEWS

There will be a belt test for my martial art on Friday August 28th.

That means it may actually be possible to achieve my challenge's titular goal. I still don't think I'm quite ready yet, but the price of failure is nothing at all, so why not. I'll have to step up my training for the next two weeks.

• Like 2

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

LATE BREAKING NEWS

There will be a belt test for my martial art on Friday August 28th.

That means it may actually be possible to achieve my challenge's titular goal. I still don't think I'm quite ready yet, but the price of failure is nothing at all, so why not. I'll have to step up my training for the next two weeks.

YES YES YES!  Do it!!  You've got this!

Also, awesome job on those 15 chin-ups - just the thought of chin-ups makes me want to cry, so I'm truly impressed!  And I think your burger justification is just fine; you rarely 'cheat' and knowing your boundaries and what will make or break your diet is important!  Best of luck with the Mexican feast, sounds amazing!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

And I think your burger justification is just fine; you rarely 'cheat' and knowing your boundaries and what will make or break your diet is important!

You say that, but Sunday I repeated that burger for lunch, and for dinner I ate a small pizza! In hindsight, the burger was totally worth it, and I still felt good afterward, the pizza, however... Must...remember...feeling...for...next...time.

Week 3: Sunday

Lunch was a repeat of Saturday's burger. Have I mentioned that it's my favorite food?

Dinner was a small pizza. I did not feel great afterward, not that I felt sick, but like my body was pissed off at the lack of real fuel.

Attended a Yoga for Flexibility class in the morning.

This week: diet reset!

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 4: Monday

Lunch was chicken, caesar salad, and a small pesto pasta salad with kale, broccolini, bell peppers, and heirloom tomatoes -- not paleo, but small portion and by far the best tasting and best for me side among carbulent sides.

Dinner was 80/20 beef burgers (meat only, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, seared in a cast iron on the stove, and finished in the oven) with a side of homemade salad.

Ugh I thought I would be able to squeeze a yoga class in before my haircut appointment, but when I was only a few minutes away from the studio I realized that classes run 75 mins and it started an hour before my appt., so I turned around and went home. Later in the evening I was feeling sufficiently strong and energetic, so I just did a couple sets of pull-ups. I think I managed 7/4.

2 mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- 45/25 push-ups, 1:00 each plank front and both sides, 80/20 squats - 15 or so each side, and 13 double crunches.

This week's fitness is frustrating/overwhelming me: I pretty much missed Monday; Friday I'm heading out of town; Either Wednesday or Thursday evening I will be prepping/cooking a bunch of stuff for the weekend; and that only leaves 2 evenings in which to get some intense workouts in as follows:

Today: The air quality sucks today, or I would go hiking after work. The martial arts Master is out of town, but I could still go and get 2 hours in semi-self-directed. Other option is a workout at home.

Tomorrow:​ Most likely a grocery shopping and cooking day (since my roommate and his friends are likely to commandeer the kitchen on Thursday) which is a shame because the Wed. Yoga Challenge class would be GREAT!

Thursday: â€‹Same options as Tuesday, but the Master will likely be back.

Friday: Maaybe an hour of martial arts before heading out. Depends on how late I want to arrive.

Saturday: (Out of town) hike.

Lag a'mhuilin

Sounds like you have a good plan! What did you end up doing for today's workout?

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

Did you get that ST workout in??  Great job making a plan for the week, but don't beat yourself up too much!  As long as you get right back on track next week, you'll be fine.

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Week 4: Tuesday

Lunch was salad with chicken and gyro

Dinner was a homemade balsamic salad and meatballs

RSG Dumbbell Div Rank 2 C workout. Managed 16 chin-ups this time (6/5/4/1), and the overhead presses are easy now, so time to increase the weight.

2 mile walk.

Today is my cooking day. Tomorrow will be martial arts.

Lag a'mhuilin

Do you have dumbbells at home, or do you use a gym? I've been coveting a set of adjustable dumbells or barbells, but the price makes me balk a little. 

I use the adjustable Bowflex dumbbells, but I definitely don't remember them being that expensive! I have Amazon Prime, and free 2-day shipping on a 100lb order made Prime more than worth it that year!

Week 4: Wednesday

Lunch was the same as Monday. I'm still experimenting with what should or shouldn't be in my new diet. A small bit of pasta salad with so much nutritious goodness in it might be allowed.

Dinner was sampling the salsa I made for the weekend (with corn tortilla chips) and a little bit of chicken while I shredded it (also for the weekend).

Not today. It was a prep/cook day.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- Push-ups 42 (+8 knee)/20, Wall-sit 2:00, Plank 2:00, Flutter kicks (core) 25 (That's kicking twice with each leg to make 1 rep (legs never touch the ground)), double-crunches 18

This morning the scale said 173. New belt hole achieved. This is about where I was 6 months ago, but I'm a bit stronger.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Would you say the dumbbells are worth the price?  Easy to use?

The dumbbells are great, though you wouldn't think so from this assessment:

PROS

• They don't take up nearly as much space as all the individual weights would.

CONS

• It takes more time to switch between weights mid-workout than if you had a set of individual ones.
  • They're wider than individual weights (especially at low weight)
  • You can't use them as push-up bars because they roll (as opposed to hexagonal ones)

The cons don't really interfere with my workouts (though the width makes curls a bit different, but no big deal), and the pro is a huge benefit. I usually just set the weights to 25lbs and move the weights and bases separately to my workout area (5-10 feet from where I store them). They came with a strap that goes around the whole thing, so you can move it all at once, if say you're moving homes. I recommend keeping those straps.

I don't recall paying $300 for them, but I've definitely benefited from the purchase. I figure that I can justify spending hundreds on my health if I can spend hundreds on electronics or entertainment.

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 4: Thursday

Lunch was paleo Asian food

Dinner was a salad.

Attended martial arts. We did some body strikes in preparation for the sparring in our test next week. This is to show us what it feels like to get hit in various places on the body, and is mostly a lot nicer than it sounds, except for one key one that involves kicking your shins against your partner's shins! I have a big old pink welt on my left leg. Fun! I also attempted one of my jumping combo kicks for the test that I was previously only able to do at peak physical fitness. This involves setting up two columnar targets about 4-5 feet apart, and running between them, jump and roundhouse the left one and back side kick the right one with the same foot in mid-air. I was still able to do this!

My test next Friday includes: sparring, 3 jumping combo kicks and one low spin kick, 5 weapons forms and 10 attack/defense combos, and breaking two boards with a kick. The only thing I still need to work on are the 10 attack/defense drills. 

You guys... I think I'm probably ready for this test.

2 Mile walk.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

I also attempted one of my jumping combo kicks for the test that I was previously only able to do at peak physical fitness. This involves setting up two columnar targets about 4-5 feet apart, and running between them, jump and roundhouse the left one and back side kick the right one with the same foot in mid-air. I was still able to do this!

My test next Friday includes: sparring, 3 jumping combo kicks and one low spin kick, 5 weapons forms and 10 attack/defense combos, and breaking two boards with a kick. The only thing I still need to work on are the 10 attack/defense drills. 

You guys... I think I'm probably ready for this test.

That sounds really badass! Good work!

Week 4, Friday - Sunday

I did pretty well, all things considered. Friday lunch I ate some happy hour apps at a nearby place: corn dog bites, osso bucco riblets, and side salad. Dinner was a balsamic salad. Saturday brunch was an omelette and fruit. Lunch was eating veggies while prepping for... Dinner was a homemade Mexican fiesta, with slow-cooked carnitas, shredded chicken, guacamole, salsa, and corn chips & tortillas. I also may have eaten a Mexican chocolate cookie or two. Sunday brunch was a lettuce-wrapped deli sandwich and fruit. Dinner was leftover carnitas.

Saturday morning I did a 3 roundtrip mountain hike. 32mins up and 22 down, which surprisingly is only 1 minute less than the same hike I did earlier in the challenge.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness was just okay. I could only do 30 push-ups (I've been pushing my arms too much). Did 50 squats though, and some core exercises.

My friend gave me a bunch of those spicy chocolate cookies from the fiesta. They are delicious, but alas I need to throw them out or something because I'll just eat them if they're near me.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

I am drooling at the thought of all that yummy mexican food!  Hope you and your friends had an awesome time!  And, uh, would your friend share the recipe for those spicy chocolate cookies?  ...asking for a friend, of course... ;)

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Eh... this week started. Well? Maybe not.

Week 5, Monday

Lunch was chicken, caesar, and kale/pesto/broccolini pasta salad. I guess I've decided to give myself a pass for this? But should I?

Dinner was carnitas tacos.

Left work too late to hike. Didn't feel like martial arting. I'm not doing strength training until after my test. Missed the yoga classes (not entirely accidentally). Yep, that's right, folks. I had a lazy day. I decided to have an extended session of Half-Life 2 instead -- something I haven't done in a long time. Do I regret it? Nah. But based on where the scale is right now I'll be hard-pressed to get under 170 by the end of the challenge. If I can end it at a definitive 10 lbs lost, that would be nice.

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- taking it easy on the arms. 20 push-ups. Squats for 1:30 (50+), 50 flutter kicks (which beats my previous 25), some lunges (at least 20), and 25 double-crunches.

Plan for the week:

Tonight: Martial Arts

Wednesday: Yoga Challenge Class

Thursday: Martial Arts (?)

Friday: Belt Test

Saturday and Sunday: Hike, Yoga, and Strength Training

Lag a'mhuilin

And, uh, would your friend share the recipe for those spicy chocolate cookies?  ...asking for a friend, of course... ;)

Ask, and ye shall receive: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/spicy-mexican-hot-chocolate-cookies.html

Lag a'mhuilin