DrCalcart wants a new belt...No, not that kind.

Thanks!  My stomach friend thanks you too!

Pasta salad doesn't sound paleo, but it also doesn't break your 'no french fries/no buns' goal, so I'm not 100% sure how you're grading yourself right now.  Is it a cheat meal? It sucks to lose a cheat meal on something fairly innocuous, but bending your own rules doesn't help either.  At the end of the day, it's whatever you can live with.  I've been guilty of bending my own rules when I know that the 'cheat' didn't impact my diet quest.

Hope you enjoyed your rest day - now back at it!  That belt won't earn itself!  ;)

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Mostly I'm just waiting for that place to bring back the "seasonal" vegetable sides it used to have -- brussels and cauliflower. They can't come back soon enough. Yeah...so about that no fries goal...

Week 5, Tuesday

GOAL 1: Diet

Nope. Lunch was a chicken shawarma lavosh wrap with side salad. Dinner was a cheat meal from In-N-Out...with fries.

GOAL 2: Fitness

2 Hours of martial arts -- weapons drills, combo kicks. My whole body is sore today.

GOAL 3: Active at work

2 Mile walk.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Mmmm, In-N-Out has some of my favorite french fries ever~~

Good luck on your belt test tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Week 5, Wednesday

Lunch was a green salad with strawberries, blueberries, and chicken. Dinner was carnitas tacos and veggies.

Yoga Challenge class

2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- 30 push-ups, 50 flutter kicks, 50 squats, 25 bicycle crunches.

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

mrMiyagiBelt.jpg

Week 5, Thursday & Friday

Thursday lunch was a staff picnic with bbq sausage, chicken, cantaloupe, and corn bread

Thursday dinner was a green salad with chicken.

Friday lunch was a hamburger and salad.

Friday dinner was a *sigh* hamburger again. Haaaave I mention I love hamburgers?

Thursday was a recovery day before...

Friday was my martial arts belt test. Here's the breakdown:

1. Jumping combo kicks -- better than ever
  2. Weapons forms -- a bit sloppy
  3. Breaking 2 boards with one kick -- I chose kicks to start with that weren't very well suited for my task. Switched to back side kick and broke them first try.
  4. Sparring -- Better than I've ever done. Most fun sparring I'd ever had. Managed to take my opponent down twice, once with a pretty cool move.

I woke up with the worst headache, that persisted until around 2pm. I had a knot in my back that made it hard to breathe fully on the left side, and a terrible case of dry mouth during the test. I really pushed myself, despite all that, and was out of breath quite frequently, but I managed. (Tomorrow I'll go to yoga and totally reset all that.) If I had to guess, I'd say I probably passed the belt test, but I won't know until I go back next week. 

Thursday -- 2 Mile walk. Friday I didn't go to work.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Hey, it sounds like you did great! And you're kicking through boards?? That's so cool!

enthusiastic nerd

You should post a video for us sometime. 

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

Congrats on the test!  I can't wait to hear your results, but it sounds like you did amazing!  Well done with the sparring and the freaking board-breaking!

giphy.gif

How did the rest of your weekend go?

• Like 1

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

How did the rest of your weekend go?

Eh I did okay with the fitness, but not the diet.

Week 5, Saturday & Sunday

Saturday breakfast was chips and homemade salsa. Lunch was a salad with chicken and gyro. Dinner was a green salad with shredded chicken. I wasn't even hungry for dinner, but I ate a giant salad anyway because it was dinner time. FAIL!

Sunday lunch was a hamburger...AGAIN. Sunday dinner was pizza. FAIL!

Diet is going to be my main focus next challenge.

Saturday morning I attended a yoga for flexibility class to reset my aches from the day before, and it worked pretty well. The rest of the day I did a whole lot of nothing except trying to stay cool in the 90 degree heat.

Sunday afternoon I did my first strength training workout in 12 days (as I was trying not to overtax my muscles before the test). The result of this break is that I was able to increase all my weights and/or reps and had a really good workout.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Week 6: Monday & Tuesday

Monday was a wash. I had Korean food with rice and noodles for lunch. Dinner was chicken and chips & salsa -- more of a snack really.

Tuesday lunch was salmon and a salad.

Monday was a rest day. Tuesday I went to the doctor. I've been feeling a tightness/shortness of breath since Friday, but it's worse today. Doctor says it's probably allergies and to rest. So here ends the intense fitness portion of this challenge :(

Monday -- 2 Mile walk. 4:00 Fitness -- Push-ups 36/25, Wall-sit 1:30, Plank 1:30, Flutter kicks (core) 35

For my last week I will attempt to focus on my diet instead of exercise, but I will still participate in the at work stuff if I can.

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

Monday was a rest day. Tuesday I went to the doctor. I've been feeling a tightness/shortness of breath since Friday, but it's worse today. Doctor says it's probably allergies and to rest. So here ends the intense fitness portion of this challenge :(

Aw, sorry to hear that.  But you made some really good progress with your fitness goals this challenge!  Now it's time to focus on cleaning up that diet!  Hopefully the allergies clear up soon and you can go back to kicking butt.

BTW, did you hear whether you passed the belt test?

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Week 6: Wednesday

Lunch was chicken, grapes, and chips and salsa.

Dinner was a green salad with chicken.

I was out sick.

My lung capacity feels normal again, but I think I have a mild fever today. I just need to get through a meeting this afternoon, then I'm going off until Tuesday. I won't know about the belt until I go back to martial arts, but I'm too sick to train at the moment, so it'll be sometime next week maybe. Sorry for the unresolved story arc!

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin

I won't know about the belt until I go back to martial arts, but I'm too sick to train at the moment, so it'll be sometime next week maybe. Sorry for the unresolved story arc!

Bummer! Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Great job on killing your fitness goals this challenge! You've been working really hard and I hope you get that belt!

Next challenge I'll be focusing on cleaning up my diet as well. Grains can be a tough beast to kill!

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Week 6: Wednesday

Lunch was chicken, grapes, and chips and salsa.

Dinner was a green salad with chicken.

I was out sick.

My lung capacity feels normal again, but I think I have a mild fever today. I just need to get through a meeting this afternoon, then I'm going off until Tuesday. I won't know about the belt until I go back to martial arts, but I'm too sick to train at the moment, so it'll be sometime next week maybe. Sorry for the unresolved story arc!

I'll be on the lookout then! I hope you're feeling better after the long weekend.

Week 6 Wrap-Up

After Thursday I pretty much stopped trying. I was also sick, so...yeah that's not an excuse.

I brought workout clothes with me when I went out of town for the holiday weekend. This was all wishful thinking because I was still sick for most of that time and too tired to do anything.

Week 6 was a bust. I was sick the whole week and let my diet relapse. I still consider this challenge a success though because I (probably) accomplished my main goal and managed to shift from not doing much physical activity to doing a lot (for the first 5 weeks).

• Like 2

Lag a'mhuilin

Final Update

This past Friday I went back to martial arts for the first time since my test...

and was handed a new belt!

I'll be joining Future Rangers for the next challenge if you guys are still around. I have a long road ahead to get back into shape.

• Like 3

Lag a'mhuilin

Final Update

This past Friday I went back to martial arts for the first time since my test...

and was handed a new belt!

I'll be joining Future Rangers for the next challenge if you guys are still around. I have a long road ahead to get back into shape.

Hey, great job!!! You sure kept us in suspense long enough. :) 

• Like 1