Pavowski Trains with the Dude

Pavowski

Round Four begins. Mark it, dude. Time for a look in the mirror.

200.gif

Three challenges ago, I was an assassin. I worked on handstands, threw my kettlebells around, and worked on running with moar speed. Gains were made, and Pav saw that it was good, said that it was good, and it was good.

Two challenges ago, I sat out. Life got the better of me. I didn't stop working out but I couldn't bring myself to do another challenge, for reasons even I don't understand. But I itched, and I burned, and not in that bad way that makes you rethink your life choices, but in that good way that makes you rethink your life choices.

Last challenge, I threw in with the scouts. I worked on my barefoot running to improve my form and heal a heel injury. Heel a heal, I know, right? I worked on burpees to build up strength and explosive power. And I tried to set a goal on my writing, but it turns out that my days are quite full enough with full-time dadding and writing about 2,000 words a day on novels and blogs and working out five times a week. It was my first challenge fail, but one that taught me about goal setting.

This challenge, I'm an assassin again, because I just can't get enough of bouncing off the walls and running around wearing black.

And this challenge, there's a theme, because I love movies and I love The Big Lebowski, and why not?

200.gif

So -- Goals!

1: Cartwheelin'.

giphy.gif

I've never been able to do one. I tried once, when I was 13, and I promptly fell right on my head. But since I taught myself to handstand, I figure a cartwheel can't be that much tougher, right? Right. I have no idea how to teach myself to cartwheel, and I'm sure I will only look like a fool learning, but I'm gonna get it. Strict pass/fail on this one, but I have only confidence. +3 dex and +2 wis on the line (but only if I don't fall on my head).

Cartwheels: 

Sorta kinda not actually falling on my head anymore%
Sorta kinda not actually falling on my head anymore%

2: Just Hanging Around.

200.gif

My favorite piece of fitness equipment (and one of my only ones, in fact) is my gymnastic rings. They are challenging and humbling and oh so much fun. But I need to do more work on them. So the goal this time is twofold:

1. Improve my dead-hang pull-ups from 3 to 8. Might be too ambitious; I reserve the right to move the target.
  2. Improve my dips from 10 to 15. Might be too conservative; I reserve the right to move the target.
  3. Just for fun, find some more movements to practice with them. No goal here, just more movement because rings are fun.

+3 Str, +1 dex, +1 sta on the line.

***GOAL EDITED***

Seeing as I'm having such a good time with the reddit bodyweight workout, I'm amending this goal to simply completing that workout 3x weekly for the 6 week period. My particular track on the workout is rings-heavy (pull-ups, dips, bodyweight rows, and some support work) so I'm hitting the same areas and putting in the time with the gear, but my arms are so toasted I think it might be silly to reach for a gain like the one I'd imagined at the same time.

Workouts: 18 / 18 

100%
100%

3: Diet.

200.gif

Yeah, that picture pretty much sums up my diet over the summer, and the Dude's face shows you how I feel about it. I'm a teacher, and being home and off my routine has made it too easy to make bad choices. I've shied away from doing dietary challenges in the past, but I need to face facts and accept that while my fitness has gotten better, my diet is holding me back, especially in terms of my weight-loss goal. Now, I'm not one for tracking my every meal or counting every calorie. But what I can do is give myself some benchmarks to keep it simple. And I'll do it in three rules of 3:

1. 3 prepped-from-home salads for lunch every week.
  2. No more than 3 alcoholic beverages every week.
  3. No more than 3 dessert items every week.

Salads: 17 / 18 

94%
94%

Booze: 19 / 18 

106%
106%

Dessert: 17 / 18 

94%
94%

+3 cha, +2 con because a better diet can only make me into a more cheerful dude, right?

So, that's a fairly ambitious but also totally achievable set of goals for this challenge. All fires under asses are now officially lit. And we know what happens if the Dude comes up short...

200.gif

So, we'll see if I'm still standing at the end of 6 weeks...

200.gif

Week 6 is in the bag, final totals are in!

• Like 3

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Awesome theme, subbing in for support! I can't stop watching that dancing .gif. Seriously. Your goals are super fun, too. I like that your diet goals are going to put you in a more positive dietary direction without trying to completely lock it down. You know I'm here for the booze goal! The Dude abides.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Awesome theme, subbing in for support! I can't stop watching that dancing .gif. Seriously. Your goals are super fun, too. I like that your diet goals are going to put you in a more positive dietary direction without trying to completely lock it down. You know I'm here for the booze goal! The Dude abides.

I have found that if my goals aren't fun, I fizzle out and lose the gumption to keep after them. This is why I've shied away from diet goals in the past, because what's fun about kale and spinach? But hopefully I will be too busy cartwheelin' to get bored with salads. We shall see.

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Holy crap.

Here I was, thinking I was doing pretty well with my bodyweight exercise routine, and then I browse around on here a little bit and see that the Reddit bodyweight routine comes very highly recommended.

So I click.

And I try.

And ouch.

So much ouch. Not the bad ouch, the I dislocated my scapulae and I don't even know what scapulae are ouch. But that good ouch. That I-feel-like-I'm-going-to-collapse-like-a-cabin-made-of-toothpicks-no-wait-I-can-hold-it-five-more-seconds ouch. That I-can't-believe-I-just-made-it-through-that ouch. That won't-be-able-to-raise-my-arms-over-my-head-tomorrow ouch.

In short, that workout gave me one of these:

200.gif

For the longest time, I didn't think it was possible to get a body-blasting workout like that without even touching a weight, but I am wrecked, spent, and exhausted. This is why assassin training is awesome -- I could just about get that workout in at work. And I can't wait to try this workout again on Wednesday.

For the curious, the routine in question is here. And most of the exercises I did were only at level 2. There's a world of pain ahead in the progression of that workout...

200.gif

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Seven hours later, yeah; serious soreness is settling in, and I can just feel that it's gonna burn like a vampire in sunlight tomorrow.

And... I'm supposed to start practicing cartwheels tomorrow too, so that's just going to be a delight with my spaghetti noodle arms.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

On this, the last day of summer before I go back to work as a high school teacher, I took both the sprouts out for a 5k in the double jogger stroller.

Not particularly tied to my challenge, that workout, but god, with that heat, it feels like it should've been. By the end of the run I felt like I'd jumped in the pool with all my clothes on, but without, you know, the benefit of being cooled off or refreshed in any way.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

And then the admins go and post the mini challenges and I'm suddenly feeling like I could squeeze in a few sets of burpees...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Nice where you from? I know here in texas its like the movie pitch black, if you go out during the day you might burn to a crisp lol.

You might have it a little worse than me. I'm in Atlanta. Course, we have that horrific humid heat...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Fun challenge theme! Plus, you're a writer (and hilarious... I may have gone to your site and read your Jurassic World review. XD)

Following along to see how you make the next 6 weeks fun. :D

(and good luck with the cartwheel!)

• Like 1

Assassin

**Challenges**

Current Challenge: Black Daiquiri is Wonder Woman

Battle Log: Black Daiquiri battles the pink robots

Previous: 1514 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 76 | 5 | 4 | 321

Fun challenge theme! Plus, you're a writer (and hilarious... I may have gone to your site and read your Jurassic World review. XD)

Following along to see how you make the next 6 weeks fun. :D

(and good luck with the cartwheel!)

Haha, thanks for checking out my site, I always enjoy giving a new reader a chuckle.

Cartwheels are going to be troublesome. I just don't know where I'm going to practice them without crashing into stuff. Incidentally, practicing cartwheels is a good way to pretend to be drunk when you haven't been drinking. So much stumbling and swearing and falling over.

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

I got 3.5 miles in this morning before the sun was up. Been a while since I've done that, but with school back in session I gotta get those runs when I can.

I could talk about the fact that it was so humid that breathing in felt like trying to inhale cotton candy.

I could talk about the fact that even at 5:30 AM, it was so warm out I was soaked in sweat within the first mile.

But I'll choose instead to go back to that reddit workout, which has my arms so wrecked, it burned to hold them tucked at my side for running. That's both arms, holding nothing, just crooked for balance, and my biceps (mostly) felt the burn of holding them there. That has never happened to me in three years of running: that I've been too wrecked from a workout to hold my arms up.

Good times.

• Like 1

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

I'm jealous of your DOMS. I didn't think I would ever say that.

That is all.

I know, right? Good news is that most of that soreness has faded between the time I got home from work and the time I got home.

Now I'm debating whether tomorrow should be the 3rd time hitting that workout this week or if I will give myself a rest day. But my rings look awfully tempting...

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Hey Pavowski,

Great goals! I had to laugh when I read your bit about cartwheels. I can relate - despite being a reasonably fit, flexible, agile person who used to do stuff like rock climbing, capoeria and what-not, I have always been completely useless when it comes to "basic" things like handstands and cartwheels. 

I just discovered that a new circus school has opened up in my town, and I am soooo excited! Hopefully I too will soon unlock the mysteries of handstands and cartwheels....

Best of luck this challenge!

Sarah

• Like 1

Meerkitten 

Level 2 Assassin 
Current challenge

"In wildness is the preservation of the world. So seek the wolf in thyself" - Metallica, Of Wolf and Man

Hey Pavowski,

Great goals! I had to laugh when I read your bit about cartwheels. I can relate - despite being a reasonably fit, flexible, agile person who used to do stuff like rock climbing, capoeria and what-not, I have always been completely useless when it comes to "basic" things like handstands and cartwheels. 

I just discovered that a new circus school has opened up in my town, and I am soooo excited! Hopefully I too will soon unlock the mysteries of handstands and cartwheels....

Best of luck this challenge!

Sarah

I'd hardly call a handstand basic! And look out for clowns if you go to that circus school. The big squeaky shoes are where they hide the trans-dimensional kidnapping devices.

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

ha ha ha well this slow scout managed to track you down.  Then again you left a big ole sign pointing this way.  I have been so tempted to try a cartwheel I do not how many times as my daughter tries them.  

Been barefoot running much?  It has definitely become part of my weekly running.  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

ha ha ha well this slow scout managed to track you down.  Then again you left a big ole sign pointing this way.  I have been so tempted to try a cartwheel I do not how many times as my daughter tries them.  

Been barefoot running much?  It has definitely become part of my weekly running.  

Definitely! Covered a mile and a half last Saturday unshod. Soon the day will come when I leave for a run and leave the shoes under the stairs.

And truth time; I haven't even had a good stab at a cartwheel yet. I'm using the fact that I can't find a place where I won't injure myself as an excuse, but mostly I think I'm just nervous. Time to nut up...

• Like 2

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Hey, I'm another rings-user and cartwheel-learner here :) Rings are awesome - I've had more strength increases with those than with barbells, I'm sure :o What rings skills are you [going to be] working on? In the workout I saw it mainly had support hold. Dips? Levers? Skin the cat? Row variations? Push-up variations? Iron cross prep? So many possibilities!

And for the cartwheels, one way of learning is just to do non-straight ones to start with, and then gradually straighten them up as you get better and more comfortable with the movement. It's how I learned, and I've only just got them to an acceptable standard, and only on my right-hand side. YouTube has lots of videos explaining how to start out with learning.

Good luck with your challenge - I'll be popping back to see how it's going :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity