• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CrackerWatson

CrackerWatson - The Journey - A career change!

Introduction:  I’m a 36 year old fat bloke, I have always been the bigger chap (apart from primary school when I was 4/5 years old and I was sent to the doctor as they thought I was malnourished…boy did I get them back!), this helped when playing American Football (O & D linesmen, it was a very small team at the time)but not much good for anything else. After I joined my current employer (8 years ago) I became quite sedentary and I ballooned even more. I have over the years started loads of things to change this but I always ended up falling off the wagon (and hasn’t exactly gone as smoothly since I joined here!), each challenge I have learnt a lesson either on activity or about myself or just a mental thing, so each has shown some form of improvement if not in the ones I had planned!

This will be my fith challenge, the second to fourth didn't go so well. following discussions and helping out at a Spartan Race weekend event, i came to the conclusion i was doing the wrong training and this is why i am here!

Main Quest:  To become a healthier fitter individual by improving my diet and fitness. This would be measured in an increase in capability, distances covered on cardio workouts (mixture of rowing, cycling, treadmill (10mins each on a workout)  and cross trainer (30mins session) ) increase in bodyweight exercises achieved and repetitions achieved, using the Crossfit Thames standard sheets to aim for (with intermittent testing) and decrease in body fat and other measured body sizes. 

Quest 1: To work out for a minimum of 30mins 7 days a week working towards Crossfit minimums: each day will consist an element of cardio work and i wil be starting on the Convict Conditioning beginners level. I will also be throwing in kettlebells, and bike work at home.

Measurement: 100% = 42 days

Reward: 100% = +2 STA, +2 STR

Quest 2: Weekend Yoga sessions to improve flexibility on either a Saturday or Sunday (using DDPs YRG dvds)

Measurement: 100% = 6 days

Reward: 100% = 2 Dex 

Quest 3: downloading MyFitnessPal, this initial challenge will be to stay under 2000 cals each day.

Measurement: 100% = 42 days of sticking to 2000

Reward: 100% = 2 Con

Life Quest:  Again I'm not going to follow my life quest at the moment, I think with changes at work and the physical things I want to achieve I am making some big changes as it is without trying to force another, so going to give myself a break on this one! 

Motivation:  I really need to improve my health, my dad has recently been diagnosed with pre-diabetes we have both had High blood pressure in the past and we are too similar to not worry about the same issues affecting the other or our own returning, plus I haven’t really felt that I have achieved much, I really wan to be Spartan ready for next year as after working the Spartan Race last weekend I now have two passes, so im in im on it and i really cannot fail this time!

EYF2aPt.gif

Excited to see your challenge thread! I'm glad to see you gave yourself some room for 100%, because I know the moment I miss perfection I get stuck on it. But I also love how ambitious your goals are too!

EYF2aPt.gif

Excited to see your challenge thread! I'm glad to see you gave yourself some room for 100%, because I know the moment I miss perfection I get stuck on it. But I also love how ambitious your goals are too!

Thanks Jess, I like to aim high, but know that I might trip on the way up...I just need to try and stop tripping MYSELF up! :)

Hey Edinbuddy!

Your goals look solid. Are you going to grade on a scale or is it pass/fail?

Hey Edinbuddyback :)

I measure on a daily basis, so end result is a percentage, although I hate to give myself x.y stats, so inevitably I am either 100% of mark, 50% mark or 0% :)

Your goals are a good combination of different aspects of heath, I always like a bit of yoga in challenges. Good luck :)

Thanks Seb,

I need to make an effort on all fronts, as one of my favourite trainer types says "Its never just one thing" :)

Subbing fellow crew mate, good life quest and goals - feel free to add me on mfp (same user name) for general food diary stalking! 😀

I may just hunt you out on MFP, bit short of contacts on there so all the better for inspiration and you can push me on there too :)

Those are some good looking goals, crewmate. Good luck this challenge!

Thanks Sterre and thanks for checking in! :)

You got this! Wait, so you played (American) Football outside of the US? I didn't know people did that :tongue:

I just learned Edinburgh also has three Baseball teams!!! wish I knew that earlier! Its only in the last couple of seasons my old team has gotten any good...it took a while but they got there! :)

Thanks Jess, I like to aim high, but know that I might trip on the way up...I just need to try and stop tripping MYSELF up! :)

That's why we're here - Tripping is fine, and sometimes we all do it to ourselves. We got your back.

• Like 1

Day 1 summary:

All good!

30mins cross trainer and a convict conditioning bodyweight workout in the evening! (beginners routine)

Food was less than 2000cals (1438) wasn't trying that hard either...but its always easy at the beginning!

• Like 1

I am better when I know I am trying to aim for something, what I need to look at later on is nutritional balance and getting closer to the 2000 with good calories, could easily top up on chocolate, but not sure if that has any benefit over not having the extra cals :)

• Like 1

Day 2 summary:

Again another good day!

30mins on the cross trainer.

less than 2000cals consumed (1949) was a lil bit bad this evening and had a bottle of beer and 3 cookies, I feel less guilty about the beer than I do the 3 cookies :? but had to make a sacrifice to help my GF through some issues so these were consumed to help the chat :) 

Day 2 summary:

Again another good day!

30mins on the cross trainer.

less than 2000cals consumed (1949) was a lil bit bad this evening and had a bottle of beer and 3 cookies, I feel less guilty about the beer than I do the 3 cookies :? but had to make a sacrifice to help my GF through some issues so these were consumed to help the chat :)

Well, it looks like you did well, even with the cookies. Good job!

• Like 1

Food is important in social situations. Good job keeping it to three cookies!

• Like 1

Day 3 Summary:

Sadly failed to get my 30mins today, the time slot I had planned ended up being taken up by travel after getting away late form work...wasn't sure about using the turbo trainer at 10:30 after giving some time for my dinner to settle :?

1304 cals consumed so win.

Day 4 summary:

had a swim today in the work pool, I don't visit that building very often so always grab the chance of using the pool when I get there.

1710 cals so double win!

Missed opportunities (will roll forward to keep count):

1x 30mins training

• Like 2

Good job so far, I understand what you mean about having to cancel scheduled events. Recently, I've swapped to "you have a spare x minutes, do the exercise this second" and it works out better than dreading/having conflicts.

Day 3 Summary:

Sadly failed to get my 30mins today, the time slot I had planned ended up being taken up by travel after getting away late form work...wasn't sure about using the turbo trainer at 10:30 after giving some time for my dinner to settle :?

1304 cals consumed so win.

Day 4 summary:

had a swim today in the work pool, I don't visit that building very often so always grab the chance of using the pool when I get there.

1710 cals so double win!

Missed opportunities (will roll forward to keep count):

1x 30mins training

You should be okay with using a turbo trainer late on as long as you're not absolutely maxing out. 

I love that pool. It's nice having it to myself!