I am Jaex: Avenger

jaex

1358958477-atlanta_city_seal.jpg

Captain Atlanta is back! Now, as a stranger in a strange land, he faces his most perilous threat yet! Old adversaries, the twins Glutton and The Sloth, have teamed up with a new menace, Lone Wolf. Against such overwhelming forces, Captain Atlanta's only chance for survival is to form a team of his own. Will he succeed assembling a heroic force? Can they best this villainous legion? Or will GluttonThe Sloth, and Lone Wolf drive Captain Atlanta to ruin!

******************************************************************************************************************

So after a long absence from the forums I am back. Last y'all heard from me I had passed the Pennsylvania Bar, was enjoying my last Kung Fu classes in Atlanta, was just beginning wedding planning, and was prepping for our move to Philly. Well lots has changed since then! Our wedding planning is much further along and we have been Philly residents for about a month now. So far we're loving the city. Sure it was weird at first walking to do errands and there was some sticker-shock, but we are getting used to that and exploring our new home is exciting! Now that my fiancee and I have finally unpacked and got (almost) all the furniture we need I feel it is time to return to NerdFitness and get another challenge.

Assemble the Avengers
Everyone I know in this city is through my fiancee.  They are all current or former colleagues of her's and all have medical backgrounds. While I'm certainly friendly with all of them, the only time I'll see them is with my fiancee in tow. I need some friends of my own. So, over the course of the next 6 weeks, I need to go out and be social three times. For this challenge I will only count times where:

• I'm hanging out with people living in Philadelphia (I already know people in NYC and other near-ish towns)
  • The people I'm hanging with have a possibility of becoming a regular friend (i.e. a networking lunch with 60 y/o probably won't count)
  • And it is not an event where I'm playing second to my fiancee (I can bring her to events, but I won't count meeting her friends for drinks. The point is to make my own friends)

Honestly I'm going to need y'all's help and suggestions because this task seems fairly daunting. I just don't know how to easily create a social circle without the built-in social network you might find attending school or at a...

Fund the Team
...job. So I'm unemployed. And this is looking like a tough job market to break into. At the moment the best leads I got are for document review positions.  They are unsexy jobs with little in the way of useful job experience of satisfaction, but they do have a paycheck. However everyone understands they are temp jobs and so I can take it until I find a job that I would turn into a career.  Until that time my goal is to check the job websites daily for new postings and make some progress networking. 

Every Superhero Needs His Theme Music

One thing I have always wanted to do was get into orchestral music composition. I have dabbled in it in the past, writing solo pieces and the like, and honestly had some success (almost had a piece published).  However I have never really stuck with it or honed my skills. I have this book of music composition exercises and for this challenge I want to do four composition exercises a week.  Also, since I'm currently at home for some hours a day it is easy to go nuts. This will at least give me something productive to do.

Fight Glutton and The Sloth

Now I know what you're thinking, "isn't this a fitness website? where are his fitness goals."  Well here they are!  I have found that the problem with being home for so many hours a day it is easy to get lazy and even easier to just snack all-day.  Unfortunately I have been taking the easy route and I'm getting that fat back. Time to stop snacking so poorly and get to exercising.  And I have not excuse not to exercise; there is a workout area, small though it may be, just an elevator ride away.  So I need to watch my snacking and exercise five times a week for this challenge.

Also, while not a challenge goal per se, I am going to start looking for Kung Fu classes in the area. I've already reached out to one school but am waiting to hear back.

Should be a fun 6 weeks! Glad to be back.

tl;dr version of the challenge

• be social 3 times this challenge
  • job-hunt everyday
  • do music composition exercises 4 times a week
  • exercise 5 times a week and watch my snacking
  • Like 2

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

You're back =)

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Welcome back!

As far as ways to go out and mingle with the populace is concerned, have you checked out Meetup.com? It may not be quite up your alley, but it would give you a bunch of different ways to get into situations where you could interact with people.

A music nerd, huh? Cool! That's a fantastic thing to be into and I commend you for it. :)

Anyway, welcome back! Starting over again in a new city is a huge opportunity. We'll be glad to help you make the most of it!

• Like 1

Hello!  Your composition goal sounds neat.  I'd like to hear more about what kinds of things you want to write.

I myself am a singer and voice teacher.  I direct a small medieval band of singers and instruments, and I just started working with a violinist to compose/compose through improvisation some music for horror video games as a project.  We've had one session so far.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

I myself am a singer and voice teacher. I direct a small medieval band of singers and instruments, and I just started working with a violinist to compose/compose through improvisation some music for horror video games as a project. We've had one session so far. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, I love medieval music and folk. Mind telling me the name of the band?

@jaex: Boredem eating is hard to stop. I munched a lot, when I stayed home while preparing for my tests. That's why I left the house as much as possible. Learning at the library, ... If you have a laptop you could change locations for the job hunt, too.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

So many replies! I love it!

You're back =)

Yup. I'm back in black.  Or really more a red shirt and brown shorts kind of thing.

Welcome back!

As far as ways to go out and mingle with the populace is concerned, have you checked out Meetup.com? It may not be quite up your alley, but it would give you a bunch of different ways to get into situations where you could interact with people.

A music nerd, huh? Cool! That's a fantastic thing to be into and I commend you for it. :)

Anyway, welcome back! Starting over again in a new city is a huge opportunity. We'll be glad to help you make the most of it!

Meetup is a great way to meet people. You can find groups with people that have similar interests (music might be good to look into )

I have checked out Meetup.  Unfortunately Philly seems less into Meetup as Atlanta was, but there are occasionally things that I might pop-in for.  I think I saw a board game night in the next few weeks that I could be down for.  Need to make sure it isn't too far away.

Hello!  Your composition goal sounds neat.  I'd like to hear more about what kinds of things you want to write.

I myself am a singer and voice teacher.  I direct a small medieval band of singers and instruments, and I just started working with a violinist to compose/compose through improvisation some music for horror video games as a project.  We've had one session so far.  We'll see how it goes.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to join a group up here, but unfortunately my instrument (Euphonium) remains with family back in Atlanta as I did not know if I would have space for it.  Also finding a place to practice in a condo is near-impossible it seems. 

As for stuff I would like to compose - just things for orchestral and wind band instruments at the moment. The book I'm using, Composing Music by William Russo, seems to begin with very basic exercises (write a small, one-voice piece using the following rhythm only and in the key of C). As I haven't composed in a while, starting small like this makes the best sense.

I have always enjoyed medieval music. Do you guys do liturgical or secular music, or a bit of both? Got any serpents?

@jaex: Boredem eating is hard to stop. I munched a lot, when I stayed home while preparing for my tests. That's why I left the house as much as possible. Learning at the library, ... If you have a laptop you could change locations for the job hunt, too.

No laptop for me.  I am hoping just being conscious of my snacking will help. I need to have willpower and discipline.

Welcome back Jaex! Glad to see you're adjusting to Philly. Are you planning to look for a Kung Fu school once things settle down a bit?

I reached out to a Jook Lum place.  I am waiting to reach out to the more expensive Hung Gar school until I have an income.

What is your typical exercise routine?

At the moment - if I wake up earlier enough to dodge the foot-traffic, jogging in VFFs. I like going to our "gym" and using the elliptical while watching TV show (Arrow or Burn Notice) and doing things on the weigh machines. I also enjoy some free-weight stuff and will do that from time to time.

• Like 1

Hi there! I see you are in the RenReb group. :3 I am always a bit awed by people who can compose music. My brain doesn't seem to work that way!

My go-to method of making friends has been, since college, to find a tabletop RPG group. You end up meeting with the same group on a regular basis a few times per month, in situations that allow you to get to know them without it being too awkward. Usually, at least in my experience, you can find at least a few people to extend an invitation to for drinks or seeing a movie or whatever, and you can develop a friendship from there. If you end up in a bad group where you don't like anyone, just bow out politely after a few weeks and try again.

• Like 1

UPDATE 7/28

Got in a workout today even though I was feeling lazy and hungry. The workout today was a warm-up on the elliptical then strength training with a mixture of some body-weight and machine exercises.

Did well controlling myself snacking-wise yesterday and so far today. Night's still young though :-P

Did two music composition exercises today. They were both kind of short. Still had fun with them.

Job hunting was slow the past two days; very few new postings. I'm meeting with a legal temp agency tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

• Like 2

We are a really small band, so telling the name would out myself and I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that on a public forum.  Forgive my shyness! :flustered:

I have always enjoyed medieval music. Do you guys do liturgical or secular music, or a bit of both?

Both!  A lot of the music from this period really blurs the line between the two, and the Church was such an important part of the culture, even the secular songs often reference the sacred as well.  We have done some fully sacred programs, including a Christmas program and a concert all about the Holy Spirit, and also several where we pull from both.

We are 8 at our largest, including singers, a harp, vielle, and the guy who plays just about everything else. :friendly_wink:

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Did two music composition exercises today. They were both kind of short. Still had fun with them.

Out of curiosity, what do these exercises look like? Composition was one of those things I always wanted to try (and did, once, with some success that I could never replicate).

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Out of curiosity, what do these exercises look like? Composition was one of those things I always wanted to try (and did, once, with some success that I could never replicate).

I'm only at the early stages and they are assumingthe reader has no music theory knowledge. So the exercises are simple. For example writing only for solo instrument (no harmonies) write a 8-10 measure melody using only notes in C major and use either of two rhythms: quarter, quarter, half, or quarter, eighth, eighth, quarter, quarter. Make sure to end and begin on middle C. And no moment larger than a fifth

• Like 1

UPDATE 7/30

Did well with exercise, job hunt stuff, and music composing yesterday. However snacking has been poor. And today I've had no motivation. My fiancee has been sick for over a week and the stress of caring for her and wanting her to feel better has drained me. And I do stress eat poorly. Especially so when my fiancee requests a shake from the local ice cream shop (have to go, she hasn't had much of an appetite for anything).

Tomorrow hopefully will be better. She seems to be feeling better so hopefully normalcy will return soon.

• Like 2

Did well controlling myself snacking-wise yesterday and so far today. Night's still young though :-P

Perhaps a no eating after a set time rule is helpfull. Or you could drink more. Sometimes drinking helps against boredem eating for me.

I hope the rest of your week went well, too.

Spoiler

I can see how caring for a sick person would make stress-eating easy. A more holistic approach might benefit you more - eating lots of healthy things to make up for the unhealthy.

I'm working on it.  The other problem is I don't cook when she is sick because half the fun of cooking is watching her enjoy it.  She is getting better though. 

Perhaps a no eating after a set time rule is helpfull. Or you could drink more. Sometimes drinking helps against boredem eating for me.

I hope the rest of your week went well, too.

That no eating after X time rule is pretty good.  I might start following that, maybe by not having any food after 9 unless it is a small handful of almonds or I'm out with friends.  Thanks!

UPDATE 8/1

Hit the gym area and did strength training yesterday and this morning I woke up and went for a nice, short run.  It felt good.  I also did a few hours of music composition exercises the past two days, focusing on chord progressions and I'm making strides in hearing where I want the pieces to go.

So earlier I said that "Philly seems less into Meetup.com" but apparently I am wrong.  When I go to the Meetup.com main page and look at the calendar all I see were events for people older than me, or with different interests, or were far away. There were very few events that interested me and were close.  But then when I started searching Meetup.com I found numerous events in the nearby vicinity. These events weren't made private to group members only, so I'm not sure why they weren't showing on the main page calendar. Anyway I signed up for my first meetup, next Saturday at a bar that has a bunch of 80's and 90's arcade games.  I will dominate Daytona USA.

• Like 1

Anyway I signed up for my first meetup, next Saturday at a bar that has a bunch of 80's and 90's arcade games. I will dominate Daytona USA.

Jay, that sounds intresting. Have a nice time! Hopefully you'll meet some intresting people.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Jay, that sounds intresting. Have a nice time! Hopefully you'll meet some intresting people.

Thanks.  Seem to have a least of dozen people attending so far, so odds are in my favor?

And I just signed up for another get together, a board game night at an art museum.  Should be fun.  

• Like 2

END OF WEEK 1 REVIEW

So far so good.  

Assemble the Avengers

.No social activities this past week other than a dinner with some of my fiancee's co-workers.  However I am scheduled to do two Meetups this week so in just 7 days I'll be 2/3rds the way through my goal!

Fund the Team
Well I have been applying places. Nothing real new happening here sadly but at least I check almost everyday (I didn't check today, I figured I could give myself a rest day and there would be very little new posted on a Sunday) 

I did in fact did four days of music composition exercises.  The focus mostly was on chord progressions which is a lot of fun and something I will continually work on.  Always interesting to balance my desire for unique progressions and something that musically remains within key.

Well I did have a bit of snacking problems earlier this week but I managed to cut that down as the week went on. I also got in five days of exercise with some strength training, elliptical work, and morning runs.  Good variety and feels good to be active.

Alright, week one is in the books.  On to week two!

• Like 3

And I just signed up for another get together, a board game night at an art museum.  Should be fun.  

That sounds fun! :) Hopefully you can forge a few friendly connections that might turn into friendships.

I did in fact did four days of music composition exercises.  The focus mostly was on chord progressions which is a lot of fun and something I will continually work on.  Always interesting to balance my desire for unique progressions and something that musically remains within key.

Well I did have a bit of snacking problems earlier this week but I managed to cut that down as the week went on. I also got in five days of exercise with some strength training, elliptical work, and morning runs.  Good variety and feels good to be active.

Cool, and good for you. :) You seem to be doing quite well so far.

Any chance you'll post the music where we can hear it once it's finished?

• Like 1