I am Jaex: Avenger

jaex

Any chance you'll post the music where we can hear it once it's finished?

x2  I'd love to hear what you are working on.

I would love to figure out how to do this myself.  So if you figure out something, let me know.

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Great Week One! I'm intrigued by your music composition goal. I'm a musician and dabble in arranging and composing. Curious to see what you come up with and will definitely check out the book!

I hope your fiancee is well.

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

UPDATE 8/5

Haven't been on the forums over the past few days.  I have been alternating between being busy keeping my fiancee well (she is now doing much better and back at work) and being in the unemployment doldrums.  On a positive note I did go for morning runs these past two mornings and they are a great way to wake up.  But I need to follow that up with work and not videogames...  I am also very excited to go on my first Meetup tonight, a board game night at an art museum.  Should be fun.  

• Like 2

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

That sounds fun! :) Hopefully you can forge a few friendly connections that might turn into friendships.

Cool, and good for you. :) You seem to be doing quite well so far.

Any chance you'll post the music where we can hear it once it's finished?

Thanks!  At the moment the music exercises are very simplistic.  I'm afraid what I've written for them wouldn't be very interesting.  However, if and when the exercises get more exciting...

I would love to figure out how to do this myself.  So if you figure out something, let me know.

A good place to start (I think) is with music theory or composition exercise books (though obviously those two focus primarily on Western classical music).  The one I'm using is "Composing Music" by William Russo.  I used to have some textbooks on music theory but have lost those somewhere along the line.  Another good thing to do is just play your instrument, without attempting to play a piece you know.  Though analyzing pieces you like can obviously help.

Great Week One! I'm intrigued by your music composition goal. I'm a musician and dabble in arranging and composing. Curious to see what you come up with and will definitely check out the book!

I hope your fiancee is well.

Thanks.  She is doing better and is back to work.  

• Like 2

UPDATE 8/7

This week has gotten better since my last posting (or at least my mental attitude is). I have gotten in 4 things of exercise with 3 morning runs and 1 strength training. I have definitely burned off some of the weight I gained post-move. The meetup was a blast. Lots of neat people and I always enjoy boardgames. As an added bonus, the venue, an art museum, was spectacular.  Definitely will do that again.  I have another meetup with a different group tomorrow at an arcade / bar.  Should be fun.

On completely unrelated note - while I have gotten used to many things about Philly living, I'm still not certain where people buy their beer. I googled it, went to a place suggested by several, and my six-pack was $20.  Granted it was a mix-and-match, but in Georgia that would have been $10-11.  

• Like 1

Jaex, you're back!!!

I'm late to join this challenge, so I'm only greeting you now, but I do it with a big nerd hug!!!

tumblr_lu2bjn1vCT1qhf1uf.gif

Great goals, reaaally varied and exciting :D

Didn't know you composed, that's amazing!

Hope you get to meet again with those peeps from the Boardgame night, and can't wait to hear about the last meetup :)

Stay strong and don't eat like a dickhead!

• Like 1

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

WEEK 2 REVIEW (a little late)

Assemble the Avengers

Well last week I went on two separate, fun meetups.  Meetup number one was board game night at an art museum. It was lots of fun, played some cool new games. I am actually thinking of picking up two of the games we played: Quoridor, where you and an opponent race to get to opposite sides while placing walls down; and Arboretum, a card game akin to rummy with spacial planning).  That was a good group and I definitely see myself meeting them again, which should be easy as they run a game night three times a week or so.  Meetup number two was on Saturday and we met up at a bar that serves craft beer while having a boatload of 80's and 90's arcade games for 25 to 50¢ to play. It was also fun but since people came late and there was a pub crawl in the neighborhood at the same time it was really tough to figure out who was part of the group and who wasn't. Still I had a blast . I would love to hang with these guys again but they seem to only meetup once every month and usually in the suburbs. 

Fund the Team
Last week was shit for this goal. Laziness and discouragement over lack of anything are crap excuses but they are the ones I'll give. I've been doing a bit better this week and have sent out messages to two people I learned were in town and thus have begun the networking phase of the job hunt.

Every Superhero Needs His Theme Music

I did some more composition exercises, though I waited to near the end of the week to do them (see general laziness/discouragement feeling above). Most recent exercises involve making a simple melody in given chord progressions (rules limit rhythm and notes) to creating chord progressions for simple, given melodies. Fun exercises.

Fight Glutton and The Sloth

Despite being a bit down in the dumps last week, I actually was really good about this. I did plenty of exercise and controlled my snacking very well. Only once did I have anything other than Almonds after 9PM and I did not have much in the way of trash food.

• Like 3

Dantilla, on 04 Aug 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

A good place to start (I think) is with music theory or composition exercise books (though obviously those two focus primarily on Western classical music).  The one I'm using is "Composing Music" by William Russo.  I used to have some textbooks on music theory but have lost those somewhere along the line.  Another good thing to do is just play your instrument, without attempting to play a piece you know.  Though analyzing pieces you like can obviously help.

I was actually meaning posting musicky bits so the group can hear, but composition advice is always welcome as well. :peaceful:

I have another session with my violinist today to work on some things we put together on our second session.  I tried to record our second session so that we could write things down after, but apparently my recording device has a button that should never be pressed (by me), and we ended up recording a bunch of tracks of silence. :grey:  I tried to write down what I remembered, and came up with one song through and some snippets of others, and then also in the last two days wrote down some snippets for us to play with today.

I have also learned that I love writing melodic tritones. :positive:

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Keeping up with the training is good. The movement keeps you from allowing yourself to settle down into a funk. It'd be easier/better if you could find a kwoon to get into but in the meantime having something to do stimulates the mind and creates a base discipline that you can use to accomplish the other things you need to get done.

• Like 1

I'm still doing my challenge, just haven't found much time to get on the computer other than to job hunt and play games. Whoopsie!

Assemble the Avengers

I have now completed this goal by attending a recent bar meetup.  It was fun and again I could see myself hanging with these people again. Haven't yet made any lasting friendships, but then again I've only met people once. So I need to get me to another hangout.

Fund the Team
I've recommitted myself to job hunting. I have also reached out to former law school friends in the area (who I just learned were in the area) to meet with them.  That hasn't been scheduled yet but making progress, albeit painfully slow.  I'm meeting a lawyer who is friends of my fiancee tomorrow for dinner and we'll she what they say.

Every Superhero Needs His Theme Music

Honestly I forgot to this last week. Too many things on my mind I guess.  Definitely seeing this goal has made me want to get back to it soon.

Fight Glutton and The Sloth

I've been doing much better about snacking poorly and I've been keeping up working out.

• Like 1