Mini: Scouts Toolbox

awesomesue

I loved the game City of Heroes.

City-of-Heroes-Comes-to-Mac-2.jpg

To build a character you could just go and experiment, be a number cruncher, or read about optimal slotting for your character and recommended power combinations if you do not want to crunch your own numbers but want the perfect build.  I found slotting as recommended boring and not working for how I ran a character and my power combinations.  I had the ultimate defender but it was not spec’d like the wiki’s recommended.  I focused on doing what worked for how I like to run the character.  I ended up being a very sought after toon because I figured out what worked for how I liked to play.  This can be applied to our scouty activities.  We often start by reading and asking questions.  Find how you like to do things and then experiment/try out ideas to find what helps you and makes you happy in how you play.  So during this mini we are doing just that in preparation for the Scouts Plumber Toolbox Race that takes place week 6.

We are all here to help pace Mario the final week of the challenge.  

Week 1:  Pick a workout that can be added to your biking/running/swimming training that will help you pace Mario during week 6.  Cruise around Nerd Fitness and find fun workouts.  Konami code, Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars workouts for example to help build strength.  You could also go for adding some speed work to one of your training sessions such as The  Flash (sprints), fartleks, tempos, and  intervals.  See where you are and work it as part of your challenge to see how you can improve in as little as 6 weeks.  The point is to do it at your level, modify if you need to, and do not sacrifice your current workout but to compliment it and add it bit of fun/variety.

A quick preview of the next weeks include:  Assassins are cool and so are we, Keep your head in the game (Don’t let that boss beat you), Power up (fueling), Crunch time (Short on time workout), and finally reevaluate your week 1 and pace Mario to the finish.

Make sure you share here as you go so we can inspire each other and learn.  So for week 1 what did you try or do you want to try?  Questions on how to do it or modify ask here!  Try something and had fun or surprised yourself let us know.   :)

• Like 5

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I loved that game! So much fun -- then so much sadness when it ended :(

I'm working with the Angry Birds Workout as part of my challenge -- I will see if I can add another set from one of the other workouts to it -- like handstands or something! -- in addition to the swimming

*dances*  I am in a really good mood this afternoon woohoo!

• Like 2

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

While my daughter was working toward the 5k we ran Saturday she fell in love with hill sprints.  I am going to do sprints once a week in a more concentrated fashion.  Speed is not something I am known for in general.  I have found they have been helping my biking too.  So I am doing one sprint session a week on the bike and when running.  In that I think I will take the 60/120 approach for running and biking will be similar 90/120 and then 120/180 approx.  If I am full recovered sooner on the bike then the rest interval may be shortened.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Lord of the Rings workout for me!

• Like 2

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Week 2...

Okay next to Scouts I think Assassins are pretty cool.  Like us they train for efficiency and go for a lot of body weight workouts among other awesome things.  This week for the mini I recommend this http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/24/assassins-creed/.  Read through it and find something you can apply or make your miles of training fun.  Do you clomp around when running?  Make odd noises climbing a hill on your bike?  Splash a bit too much when swimming?  Then you could work on being quieter.  Pretend you are stalking someone or thing while out on a walk, bike, run, or swim.  Keep your mind occupied by analyzing your environment to see how you could use it or how you would like to use (envision yourself doing a parkour move).  The point is to keep the training fun, your mind busy, and as with anyone working on endurance and/or speed you have to learn to no longer see obstacles.  It is your job to see how you can make things work for you.  See someone up ahead and you are nervous/self-conscious about going by them then see if you can dodge their gaze by veering off route (if it is for a safety reason then make sure you are staying safe…been in a few rough spots myself), try quietly gliding by them, or buck up and just imagine yourself bounding of something near them as you jump over them for that bit of confidence boost to not be shy about being out doing cool things.   :) Same can be said when out on your bike or walking.  If you feel confident and adventurous then try a basic parkour move.  There is loads of info on NF about it with some great links.  More than once in the pool I have been that shark chasing that mermaid.  Be the one in your mind out maneuvering/pacing the shark for a bit of mental fun.  I have found that when it comes down to it for this Scout the greatest obstacle can be my own mind.  I think it is time we turn the tide, keep having fun, and look at things in a different way.  We are Scouts so obviously we are up for a good challenge.  Forget obstacles and have some fun while maintaining focus.  

There are many different things you can pull from that article.  I only highlighted a few of them.  Share what you decided to try this week and how it went.

• Like 2

As much as I want to do this, I really need to stick to my taper :(  Maybe I will play catch on the mini after the race :)

Catching up post amazingness is certainly allowed!

So I had a run today and decided to play with stuff from the article.  I hit the woods and had fun.  First I spent a fair amount of time trying to decide at various points if I were to surprise someone in the wood where would I hide.  I also asked why or why not.  At random points I would think if someone jumped in front of me where would I go in relation to a paved path, the river, the thick brush in the area, and what stuff would I have to run through.  Oddly that was very entertaining.  I also realized I was alone in the area and had the rare opportunity that I did not see anyone else off the main path.  That was truly strange.  When I am out off the main paths I do tend to pay attention to my gut feelings for safety and watch the area.  Actively analyzing it was a nice next step.  Finally I made a game to see how quiet I could be.  So the path is narrow and you hit brush.  From runners and off road bikers it is fairly compact earth too.  There are rocks, stumps, dried leave, twigs, and so on all over the path.  It is not a maintained set of paths except by use alone.  Often it becomes overgrown but you can see snapped plants from folks moving through it.  I am not noisy but I can make noise in the area.  My game was to see how many steps I could run without making noise that someone within a 3-5 foot radius of me would hear it as best as I could determine.  Anytime I kicked a rock, hit extra crunchy leaves, snapped a twig, or whatever I would start counting all over again.  Some areas of the path are naturally going to be quieter and others not so much especially as beating through brushy areas.  Made me really observe foot placement in general, watch the path and determine where to step/lines to follow through an area, and keep my steps as light as possible.  I also found myself taking little hops over crunchier looking areas.  It made me keenly aware of rocks and bits you can inadvertently kick and thus making noise.  I do not know why but this quiet game I played was hugely fun.  I am going to do it again.  :)  Oh my max steps with no noise was 150 steps.  

• Like 1

sue, do you practice eating bugs real quietly too? :)  I think the two bugs I ate this year I was totally not quiet!

HA!  No not quiet with the bugs! *cough*hack*mumbles to self... LOL   :disgust:    I had one bounce off my lip yesterday.  Another close call but it cost me being quiet to I had to start the count over since I did a small but fairly audible squeal.   :highly_amused:  

You are out a lot...how can you have only eaten 2?  I do believe they would be considered primal.

HA!  No not quiet with the bugs! *cough*hack*mumbles to self... LOL   :disgust:    I had one bounce off my lip yesterday.  Another close call but it cost me being quiet to I had to start the count over since I did a small but fairly audible squeal.   :highly_amused:  

You are out a lot...how can you have only eaten 2?  I do believe they would be considered primal.

Since I haven't done much biking this year not too many bugs.  I have had 2 more bugs cause issues with my eyes, one I killed as it got on my eye and pieces of it were in the corners of my eye and another one that got under my eyelid when I blinked and was absolutely horrible, would definitely eat more bugs to avoid those ones.

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Since I haven't done much biking this year not too many bugs.  I have had 2 more bugs cause issues with my eyes, one I killed as it got on my eye and pieces of it were in the corners of my eye and another one that got under my eyelid when I blinked and was absolutely horrible, would definitely eat more bugs to avoid those ones.

Serve up a plate to me if it means not getting them in my eye let alone under an eyelid.  Wow and ouch.  Despite my cheapo sunglasses I end up with more dirt in my eyes than bugs.  I eat mine instead.  Occasionally I inhale one which is still more fun than one in the eye.  Oh that made me cringe.

I am going to focus on moving through my workouts quickly - I drag my feet a bit when doing strength workouts. I'm so busy this week, I only have a little time to work out so I need to make the most of it!

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Here we meet again.  Wrapping up week 2 and preparing to attack week 3.  More than once people have commented that sometime during week 3 and into week 4 is when we see people struggling.  Loss of motivation, inspiration, or frustration because things are not going as planned.  Well to that I say NO!  

Keep Your Head in the Game!  Look at week 3 like that boss you have struggled to beat.  I naively ran in thinking I could do it.  I had gotten this far.  Reminds me of that old Leroy Jenkins thing in WoW.  You keep trying and trying and finally you win unlike poor Leroy.  Granted it was so fun to watch.  I remember the first time I faced a dungeon and well it was not pretty.  It took hours and multiple tries and then relief.  Nothing feels better than getting close to beating the boss after repeated tries other than when you finally beat it.

Here are my recommendations for week 3.  

Read one or all of the following articles and share anything you might gleam from them that helps you.

Strength and Honor
Iron and the Soul

Inspiration

Fail More

Need that extra boost of awesome and fun?  Visit another guilds general chat area to ask a question or say hi. Cruise by recruits and read their challenges offering some support (nothing makes you feel more motivated to keep at than helping to motivate/encourage someone else).

Send a PM to someone you think is awesome and ask for an assist if you are struggling and do not want to post it on your or their thread.  We are here for support and motivation.  We are all here working to improve our health, our times, and/or ourselves in some way.

Training for an event but struggling a bit with focus?  Then go to their website and review it to get you excited.  Imagine how good it will feel to succeed in that event.  Picture yourself finishing or winning or whatever your goal is and how amazing it will feel.  

Not training for a specific event, then look at it this way.  You are training for the most epic event, Your Life  Take a moment and visual what it feels like to complete a challenge.  Review an old challenge that may not have gone well and see what you can learn from it.  Revisit one that went brilliantly and relish in that feeling of success.  Imaging completing this one as strongly as possible and how good it will feel to wrap another one whether it goes as planned or you struggled but learned.  Learning is good.

Keep your head up, rely on your friends here, and keep your head in the game.   :)

Week 4 Power Up or How do you fuel?:

How do you fuel for your amazing feats?  Share a recipe you love that will help fuel our bodies to achieve goals (snacks you use for endurance, healthy meal you enjoy or better yet recently discovered).  No recipe? Then find one you would like to try and share it (you do not need to try it first if it is not feasible) even if you do not cook.  It can be as simple as frozen blueberries with a bit of almond milk (see no cooking). Have fun with it. Create a new recipe and give it a great name. Come up with an alternative name that is fun for a recipe you love. We make Yoda Cakes (spinach cakes) and our daughter enjoyed them only because of the name. She knows what they are and will still eat them not because they sound fun. Do you make Pac Man Pellets?  Do you have a secret tonic or elixir of speed, strength, and/or endurance? Post it here!

• Like 1

Wow, perfect timing. If you consider Thursday good timing. hehehe

I'm turning my focus to food as I am on the seriously injured bench, not just the light duty bench I've been on all year.

I'll see what comes up.

Thanks for doing this awesomesue!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

So last Thanksgiving my supportive wife was searching for paleo/primal food ideas and stumbled upon my new favorite dish of all time.  No fancy name, just sweet potato bacon pecan bake.  As the name suggests, it is a sweet potato, bacon and pecan (and use cinnamon and nutmeg to spice) bake.  Dice up the sweet potato and raw bacon into a baking dish (I prefer more bacon so like 1 pound of bacon for 2 large sweet potatoes).  If using less bacon add some olive oil.  Season with cinnamon and nutmeg (when I cook it myself I omit the nutmeg) and stir it up.  Add pecans (the ones we get I crush in half to get the size I like).  Cook on 350 F for about 60-90 minutes.  60 minutes everything will be cooked but a little hard, at around 90 minutes the sweet potatoes get real soft and this is where I prefer mine to be cooked until.

I have made this a few times and it never lasts long so if you are anything like me don't make too large of a batch at once :)

I used this during my last ultra and I thought it might be too sweet and cause stomach issues but it was amazing and worked well.

I know a lot of endurance athletes are using gels or water addictives (such as tailwind) then go on to complain about stomach cramping.  I prefer to keep to whole unprocessed foods for my endurance fueling.  My staples are water, bananas and bacon (hydration, electrolytes with potassium and sodium, and carbs/fat/protein).  For a longer race I start to add in some other foods to add variety but focus first on hydration then electrolytes then macro nutrients.

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I'm going to make a stew Monday, but have yet to know all the ingredients. Pork loin cut up, spinach, green beans, carrots, red potatoes (not too many), kidney beans, shallot, cinnamon, curry, spice?, spice?, and some sort of light sauce. I really like the sesame seed butter, but not sure how long that takes to make before hand. I'm going to crock pot it so it'll give me a chance to fiddle with the flavors as it cooks.

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

That sweet potato recipe sounds amazing and next on my list to try!

Your stew sounds interesting.  I am not much for spinach in stews but I know many love it.  Nutmeg goes well with those items as well as curry.  I am consuming too much homemade curry dishes lately....if there is such a thing to too much.  LOL  Garlic, onion (or shallots....yum!), and a bit to tomato are go to's for flavor as well.  Curious to hear what you tried and how it went!

Holy Moly Batman it is week 5!  I do not know about you but with school starting for my kiddo and pure craziness at work as we prepare to open new labs and classes starting next week I have been really short on time.  Complete change in routine for the week and a few others things thrown in and my workouts went out the window!  Well folks there are no excuses.

The focus of this week is to develop a workout routine when you are short on time.  I have one but it did not work for last week so that tells me I need a second option.  So this week think about and test out a short on time workout.  Maybe come up with two different ones.  In the past I would rely on doing a short run (say .25-0.50 miles) then do a round of the konami code workout and repeat for a full 3 rounds.  Plus a few minutes of walking/warm up.  Do not skimp on the warm up or cool down!  I have also done something similar using an exercise bike when it is stormy out.  Ride a couple minutes and jump off to do some body weight and again repeat.  Based on your preferences the goal is to have a workout routine you like, is quick, and you have tested out to make sure it works for you ahead of time so when crunched on time you have that go to for that great pick me up.

For me I know when I am facing an extra busy day and I know it ahead of time I need to start my day strong.  I need to make sure I get the workout in otherwise I may not do it all.  Like what happened last week.  I kept saying I would do it at lunch or in the evening.  Well I worked through a few lunches and was completely exhausted in the evening.

Share your ideas here to help inspire others.  The only bad workout is the one you do not do for no real reason or you do sloppy and hurt yourself.  I know I am going to work on another option!