No registered users viewing this page.

SinnahSaint

Apprentice Assassin in Training

Epic Life Quest

Owning & Running Our Dream Homestead

2539937014_f55ecebf38.jpg

Farmers Market by NatalieMaynor, on Flickr

This 6-week challenge

• Do my bodyweight training Mondays and Fridays (doing the thing is enough. no need to add yet)
  • Take a lunch to work 4/5 workdays so I'm not eating fries or such for lunch every day
  • Stick with the No-S Diet (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except sometimes on days starting with S)
  • Walk at least 30 minutes daily 

Side Quest

• Meditate at least 5 minutes daily

A friend of mine lost weight with only eating snacks or sweets on the weekend. I guess yours will even be more effectiv. Good choice. During my first challenge when I had the urge to get something sweet I ate fruits or vegetagles instead. Celery for example, which has almost no calories.

Good luck and best wishes with your challenge.

• Like 2

Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.
For completing this mini quest you will receive an additional +1WIS at the end of the 6 weeks.

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?
**Yes my main/life goal is achieveable within 5 years**

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?
**My 4 quests are small steps to the larger goal and are not large enough to have sub-quests.**

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?
**Not sure this one applies for me. My main/life goals are markers, not processes. The smaller quests are proccesses and were adressed in #2**

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?
**My quests are able to be measured in a simple yes/no and I track them with HabitBull on my phone.**

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?
**I'm tracking daily and plan to grade on a % of success. The reward is succeeding.**

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?
**The only quest that would be affected by injury or illness is the bodyweight excercises and depending on the nature of the injury, I may simply alter the routine.(catastrophic injury or illness requires an honnorable discharge from this challange and tackling it later when well)**

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?
**The quests I have set for this challenge are sustainable. The no-s diet allows room for special occasions and I have left one day per week in the taking lunch to work quest in case a co-worker wants to "do lunch".**

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?
**None of my quests conflict and in fact they compliment eachother. Bringing lunch helps No-s, bodyweight warmup covers 2/3 of the walking that day.**

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?
**I do have time for these quests and have in fact made sure that I scheduled the excercises in periods that would otherwise be taken up by scrolling social media out of boredom.**

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?
**These 4 quests build toward my life/main goal.... soo.... yes?**

You're Epic Life Quest looks great and you've got a nice set of challenge goals.

Going by the title I think I know which guild you're planning to join :D I'm guessing you've already explored the dark recesses of the Assassins Guild but just in case, here is a link.

Good luck with the challenge!

• Like 1

Sunday is update day!

Quest 1: success

Quest 2: success

Quest 3: one failure

Quest 4: success

Bonus : 4x

Stumble: The one day I bought lunch instead of bringing it was within parameters, but that same day I found myself snacking.

Learned: High carb lunches like poutine are not conducive to satiation. 

Plan forward: lunches purchased should mirror what I would have brought, namely protein and veg(not fries and gravy)

Because it's the first Sunday of the month, it's also weights and measures day.

(last measure was two weeks ago when I started working out)

Weight: +1lb

Calf: +0.75"

Thigh: -0.5"

Hips: -0.25"

Waist: -0.5"

Upper arm: -0.25"

Lower arm: +0.25"

Neck: -0.5"

• Like 2

I live in the centre of the CBD in our city, so my favourite place to hang out is at the farmer's market.  It's so awesome and honestly if I had a green finger (and not the finger of death) I would totally start a little garden on my teeny tiny balcony. 

• Like 1

It's so awesome and honestly if I had a green finger (and not the finger of death) I would totally start a little garden on my teeny tiny balcony. 

If I had a teeny tiny balcony I would too, but our apartment has no balcony. :( Good news is that the rearranging we're doing this month may mean there's a southern facing window to grow herbs in. 

Sounds like solid quests to me! I haven't heard of that "No S Diet" before, I'll definitely need to look into that.

I saw that you were trying to run your own homestead. I am trying to grow my own produce, as well, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I know it would have been better for me to start at the beginning of the summer, but I missed the mark, and now I can only grow things if they can be grown indoors/late summer/early autumn. I only really have an apartment and typical apartment space to work with. Do you have any suggestions for an aspiring green thumb?

I look forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 1

Do you have any suggestions for an aspiring green thumb?

Yup. Start in the fall. Start researching next year, this year.

Use the winter to figure out what you're going to plant, research their time lines and buy seeds. If you're going to start from seed, depending on your hardiness zone some things need to be started in February or March and you don't want to find that out in April.

If you're 100% indoors, have realistic expectations. Herbs, lettuces, and cherry tomatoes may be the limit and that's okay.

P.S. not trying to run homestead yet. Still getting in physical and financial shape. this is the pregame.

Sunday is update day!

Quest 1: success

Quest 2: success

Quest 3: Abandoned

Quest 4: 1 failure

Bonus : 2x

Stumble: I just felt ridiculously constricted by the No-S diet. I don't have an over eating problem so the systematic moderation was really confining.

Learned: I don't want to have to know what day it is before I decide whether or not to have an apple in the afternoon.

Plan forward: The No-S diet has been completely abandoned and will be redacted from the score calculations. I'm going to eat real food, when I'm hungry, mostly veggies.

I'm really starting to enjoy the modified BBWW now that I'm using a table instead of the couch seat. I now feel confidant enough to try for a second set this upcoming week. 

(Edit: wrote this before actually doing the day's 30 min walk and because I was helping my fiance pack for her trip I forgot so that's one miss)

• Like 1

Mini Quest #3

So your challenge for this week has 3 parts:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)
2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance
3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

For completing this challenge, you will get a stat point as per the quest you have identified (you can choose which attribute this should be) to be allocated at the end of the challenge.

Easy Peasy, done alreasy.... nope, that doesn't quite work.

1. Packing a lunch every morning is hard.

2. Found the 10 meals post and remembered all the other batch cooking stuff I'd read about.

3. As of yesterday I've roasted 3 whole chickens(at the same time saves electric and time), turned their bones into broth for a nutritious base/snack,  boiled a bunch of eggs, and made sure that I had plenty of east to grab plants that didn't require additional prep (sweet peas, cherry tomatoes, mandarin oranges, etc)

Since this fix is about working smarter instead of harder, I'm thinking the point belongs to Wisdom.

• Like 2

Sunday was update day.

Quest 4: 2 failure

Bonus : 1x

Stumble: Wasn't feeling well.

Learned: I could have gone on those walks but I found headaches an easy excuse.

Plan forward: Hold myself to higher standards.

Mini Quest #4

"Well done, you've made it to the end of week 3, so now you get to level up to Level 1 and you get to allocate 10 stat points to your challenge."

Goal Allocation:

Modified BBWW twice a week = STR 2 + DEX 1 + STA 1

Take lunch to work = CON 2

Walk 30 daily = CON 1 + STA 2

Daily Meditation = CHA 1

Mid-Challenge summary:

Modified BBWW twice a week = 100%

Take lunch to work = 100%

Walk 30 daily = 86%

Daily Meditation = 38%

Mid Challenge Allocation

Modified BBWW twice a week(100%) 2 STR + 1 DEX + 1 STA

Take lunch to work(100%) CON 2

Walk 30 daily(86%) CON 0.86 + STA 0.86

Daily Meditation(38%) CHA 0.38

Sunday was update day.

Quest 4: 2 failure
Bonus : 3x

Stumble: It was a busy week and one time I didn't walk home from work, so it was hard to remember I still needed to get that in. The other was just my day off and completely forgeting that I hadn't left the house.

Learned: By the time the weekend came around I was determined to not miss another day and even did laps around the appartment for a half hour when I didn't feel like getting dressed enough to go out.

Plan forward: Keep working at it. There's nothing I really need to do other than get into the habit.

Impressed with the learning and adjustments.  I think you have a great attitude!  Building healthy, useful habits is definitely the key.  LOVE that you did laps around the apartment because I've done that too!  Anything to make movement a part of your day.

Congrats on the Level Up!!  

giphy.gif

• Like 1