River babysteps out of the village

Riverleaf

Tiny steps instead of goals.  Focusing on progress and systems (james clear) instead of goals.  

Quest #1: At least 5 minutes of exercise every day -either exercise bike or walking.

Week 1: 3 days/7

Quest #2: Track food everyday and stay in calories.

Week 1: 7 days/7

Quest #3: Drink 8 cups of water a day.

Week 1: 5 days/7

• Like 3

level 3 Hobbit - Assassin

Alchemist - transforming myself one day at a time.

"Wit beyond measure is mans greatest treasure." - Ravenclaw

Current challenge: River Tackles the Basics

Previous: #1#2

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

Clear and concise for sure.  Any specific body weight exercises you are focused on for the challenge?  When developing a solid exercise habit I used the Konami Code workout from NF.  It was fun, easy to modify, and got the job done for me.  

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I love the bbw workout too.  That also helped improve my strength.  Konami code was a great start.  Doing bbw is when I discovered that I do have triceps and can see them...whoa!  I do plan returning to it and mastering all the levels.  I did switch to dumbbell for some variety right now.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

hi there! I'm here firstly as a fellow academy person, but 2nd, while I was stopping in to introduce myself, I noticed that one of your goals is all about the bodyweight, so let me ALSO give you my assassin's ambassador's spiel!

Assassin's focus on bodyweight exercises, though we do all other kinds too. So, as you progress through this 6 week challenge, we will keep checking in on you to see how you're doing! :) and if you're interested, please do feel free to browse

* The Assassin Guild Info & Announcements

* The Assassins' Den guild chat thread where you will find more cat gifs than you know what to do with, and in particular check out:

* The Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread where you can chat with assassin's and other recruits who are interested in the assassin's guild!

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Yes, that's my only problem is switching it up for interest when my skill level is still so low, Awesomesue.   I just have to do it until I can advance, I guess.

Yes, Karina, I am definitely a wanna be assassian, although at the moment- I'm feeling too old and fat to even dream it.   Sigh.

• Like 2

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

Never too old and never too fat.  I work in anatomy labs and the only folks that can not be assassins or scouts or anything are dead.  I am going to be 47 in a couple months.  I have lost 50 pounds and still have more to loose (another 50) and yet I run, I work on strength, I bike, and I enjoy playing.  I have seen folks on the forums older than me and heavier and yet here we are working on it.

Sticking to something until you advance is definitely challenging I agree.  However nothing beats the sense of satisfaction when you do stick to it and see improvement.  The first time completed a 3 mile run after using C25K I was shocked and then teared up.  I worked on body weight and after time saw freaking triceps.  Me with triceps.  Amazing.  But at first it is hard until you start seeing improvement however you choose to define it.  After that first time you want more and you know you can do it because you have already done it.  

• Like 2

assassins come in all shapes, sizes, and ages! seriously! don't let that stand in your way. and there's something about skulking all assassiny-like that keeps you young and helps keep you fit. :)

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

assassins come in all shapes, sizes, and ages! seriously! don't let that stand in your way. and there's something about skulking all assassiny-like that keeps you young and helps keep you fit. :)

You know in Scouts mini challenge this time one of the weeks is titled Assassins are cool and so are we!.  LOL  Based off an article on NF.  I so need to join you guys for a challenge sometime soon.  

You can do this Riverleaf.  It does not have to be perfect but you can do it.  ;)

• Like 2

Had a little introvert attack today.   Didn't bring a lunch to a lunch date that ended up being a much bigger group than expected.   A few big wigs I had to hob nob with, when I was hoping it would be a nice quiet lunch with a friend.  Ate almonds on the way there, and binged on oreos afterwards.  Now I'm not sure if I should try to get some real food in me so I can actually work out this afternoon or just lay on the couch and breathe. 

• Like 1

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

Had a little introvert attack today.   Didn't bring a lunch to a lunch date that ended up being a much bigger group than expected.   A few big wigs I had to hob nob with, when I was hoping it would be a nice quiet lunch with a friend.  Ate almonds on the way there, and binged on oreos afterwards.  Now I'm not sure if I should try to get some real food in me so I can actually work out this afternoon or just lay on the couch and breathe. 

Best plan is to just shrug it off and just move on to a new day.

And there are at least a couple of assassins (including me) who are over 50, so don't worry that you are too old. 

How are your goals coming?

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You got this, Riverleaf. Each day is a new day. Whatever choice you made today, tomorrow is a chance to start all over again. When that sun rises we start all over again. Have a great day! 

• Like 1

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

"the stars began to burn through the sheets of clouds, and there was a new voice which you slowly recognized as your own"  ~ Mary Oliver

Battle/Flight Log

Weekend was okay.  I tracked what i ate, even though it wasn't good.  I did drink a lot of water.  I didn't exercise. 

I had my annual physical with my doctor and I love her but she was very discouraging.  I've also been reading a book called, Health at Any Size, which talked about the same thing.  Basically if I'm over a certain BMI, then I'm fighting an uphill battle against myself.  My brain will defend my set point and insist that I eat more, not accepting the info that I've eaten enough.  She recommeded eventually, since currently I'm still healthy, that I do drugs or surgery.  I have no interest in either.  I am a little bit Druid that way, vegetarian and anti-medication when I can help it. 

At first I was depressed and aggrevated.   What's the point if my body is just going to fight me the whole way anyway?   But I need to do it.  My daughter is getting older (5 now) and I want to be a good role model for her.  She's already got a sweet tooth and a bit of a high bmi. 

So now I'm angry and determined.   I'm trying to set up some good habits and support.  1, So I tracked and stayed in my calorie range yesterday.  One day down.  Yay.  :)   2, And I joined an online program that focuses on habits and weight loss.  I hate spending the money on it, but it has daily remainders and habit building exercises.   I'm hoping a little more handholding will be good for me.  3, I did however order a new Fitbit since mine has been lost for a while now.  This one is brightly colored so I hope I won't wash it quite so often.  

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

I am the same way as far as med's and all that.  I have used them for a health condition but only when necessary.  We found through food and exercise we are able to control it.  I have been watching how I react to different foods over time and all that so yeah I get what you are saying.  Honestly in my opinion no one diet fits all.  There is always wiggle room and it is a matter of trying different things and then tinkering with them to see what works for you.  That is fantastic that you turned that frustration into determination.  I have found loads of good articles on habits on NF.  For me tracking when it is going to be unpleasant to see has been one of the best things.  Sometimes choices were not as bad as thought and sometimes worse.  It helps me to be more determined to continue to make better choices.  Also my body quickly reminds me especially if I let things go for a couple days.  I begin to have pain and inflammation.  Uh oh time to get back on it.  I am also working to set a good example for my daughter.  She is 10 and well we sometimes say one thing and do another dilemma.  I even talk to her about that so she can hopefully learn as we (my husband and I) struggle.

Okay corny time.....I know our minds are amazing.  So are our bodies.  I have been working to change how I do things and see foods.  I make this green soup concoction which varies each time.  Anyway I know it is pure goodness and somehow I developed this odd habit.  When drinking it I feel like I am washing my body, all my cells, in nothing but good nutrition/things.  That makes me feel even better drinking it and reinforces how great it is for me.

Looks like you have a plan and are attacking it.  Fantastic!

At first I was depressed and aggrevated.  

So now I'm angry and determined. 

As the great sage Johnny Rotten once said, Anger Is An Energy. I'm really impressed by how you've turned that depression and aggravation into ACTION. That's alchemy! You're an alchemist. 

• Like 2

Aaarrrggghhh  |  Level 0  |  Recruit warrior nun

My first challenge

'RUN AT IT SHOUTING!'- The farmer, Withnail and I

2 days in calorie range.  Woot. 

Did 4 yoga poses in NF blog.   Woot.    Forgot how much I love yoga.  Gotta get out the mat again. 

25 minute walk outside in the Georgia heat with my daughter and only 2 mosquito bites!  Woot!

• Like 2

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%

2 days in calorie range.  Woot. 

Did 4 yoga poses in NF blog.   Woot.    Forgot how much I love yoga.  Gotta get out the mat again. 

25 minute walk outside in the Georgia heat with my daughter and only 2 mosquito bites!  Woot!

Nice job on the outdoor walk!  I used to live in Georgia and remember how sticky and steamy August was.  Makes me cranky just thinking about it.

Got to LOVE YOGA!  I need to check out NF Yoga!

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

8/9  15 min exercise bike

Ate a greasy omelet, home fries and biscuit for lunch - should have ordered a la carte.   However, I did only eat half. 

• Like 1

Doodlies

Weight Loss

16.8%
16.8%

To Mordor

0%
0%