curiouswonder challenge 1 - move!

cw1558

Greetings fellow recruits! I'm a 45 year old husband and father of 4 who has spent the last 25 years (unsuccessfully) battling my weight. My job (college professor and department chair) lends itself to a lot of sitting, late nights, and grabbing food on the go. Earlier this summer, I realized that I had gone from being frustrated about my weight to sad and resigned. This terrified me. After knee surgery on June 30 and the 4th of July weekend, I weighed myself on July 5 to find that I weighed more than I ever had. This moved me from sad, resigned, and scared to angry and determined. Since July 5, I have dropped 14 lbs and have made some significant shifts in the way I eat. I'm at a point in my knee rehab where I can begin to bring exercise back into my life, so this challenge is about that. 

Main quest:

Lose 80 lbs by July 1, 2016

Goals for this challenge:

1. Bike 100 miles (5-6 per trip, 3 times a week) by September 6
    A: 100-90 B: 89-80 C: 79-70 D: 69-60 F: is not an option
  2. Walk 25 miles (1-2 per trip 3 times a week) by September 6
    A: 25-23 B: 22-20 C: 19-17 D: 16-14 F: is not an option
  3. Start body weight workouts by Week 3 (depending on knee recovery) and complete 3 per week through September 6 (12 workouts). 
    A: 12-11 B: 10-9 C: 8-7 D: 6-5 F: is not an option

Life quest:

Complete and submit a research article for publication by September 6

Motivations

1. I want to dance with my wife on our 60th anniversary (37 years to go!).
  2. I want to see my grandkids off to college (none of these, yet).
  3. I want to travel the world without worrying if I will fit in the airplane seat or if my seat belt on the bus will latch (both issues I've experienced in travels). 

Game on. 

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Do mention the way you made changes to your diet. For getting healthier the diet has a far greater impact than the excercising. And i see all your goals are set up around excercising.

Your motivations seem solid, just keep an eye on them, remember them when things get hard, i couldn't think of better ones myself!

Good luck, if you want to know anything feel free to ask!

... a little odd in the head ...

Do mention the way you made changes to your diet. 

Didn't think to add that since I'm tracking it in my daily log. Thanks for the reminder. 

Several changes:

• 64 oz of water a day
  • eating window shortened to 9AM - 7PM
  • cut out fast food
  • stay under 1900 cal / day
  • following the Zero Belly Diet - did the 7 day cleanse last week to kick start

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

what do you teach?

it's hard getting back out there after knee surgery (I had a fall in april that resulted in emergency surgery to repair my knee) so I wish ya the best of luck!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

what do you teach?

it's hard getting back out there after knee surgery (I had a fall in april that resulted in emergency surgery to repair my knee) so I wish ya the best of luck!!

I'm the sociology prof on campus, so I teach Intro, Social Problems, and a host of issue courses (Food Security, Inequality, etc.).

Thanks for the encouragement - this is my 3rd surgery on the knee, so I feel like I know what the recovery time should be and don't have a lot of patience with my current pace. My wife keeps reminding me that recovery at 45 is different than at 32. 

aging is wonderful isn't it :/

cee2e2017554de6da437cb4c37dfb65be82a6da7

• Like 2

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Confession: I took my wife and 13 year old son on a whirlwind trip to Chicago to see the Cubs as a part of celebrating his entree to teenhood. I have eaten well today, but did not eat good (for me) things. On the bright side, I did get in two miles of walking. The glass is half full, but I'm stuffed.

Back on the wagon tomorrow.

never two in a row :)

Spoiler

never two in a row :)

Good word.

• Like 1

I heard it from some nerd named Steve

hmmmm... sent by magic.... or fairies.... or small woodland creatures maybe? how does this thing work?

Spoiler

It's true that some things get more difficult as we get older, but you'll be able to gain back a ton of strength by sticking with your plan. It sounds like you are already able to walk. Is biking ok too?

I really think you can do this. Academics are really good at planning things out and will do whatever it takes to get those good grades!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

It's true that some things get more difficult as we get older, but you'll be able to gain back a ton of strength by sticking with your plan. It sounds like you are already able to walk. Is biking ok too?

I really think you can do this. Academics are really good at planning things out and will do whatever it takes to get those good grades!

Biking is a part of the rehab - strength building with little impact. 

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not the most planful academic, but definitely focused on good grades. 

• Like 1

Rough week with travel and weather. 

Walking - hit 5 miles in 3 walks

Biking - didn't get out last week.

BUT

Started this week with a 6 mile ride. Felt great. #backinthesaddle

looks like you had a good start.  Keep going. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks, Blaidd.

And how is it going at the moment? We haven't heard from you in a while.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

And how is it going at the moment? We haven't heard from you in a while.

Thanks for the nudge. Struggling to get in a rhythm, but not giving up. Walked 2 miles yesterday and biked 8 tonight. 

Getting there. 

Thanks for the nudge. Struggling to get in a rhythm, but not giving up. Walked 2 miles yesterday and biked 8 tonight.

Getting there.

Hey, that's great. You'll ease into the whole challenge thing. Just give yourself some time.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Hitting stride after a hit and miss start. 

8/13 - 2 mile walk

8/14 - 8 mile ride

8/15 - 2.5 mile walk

8/16 - 7 mile ride

Hoping to give body weight workouts a shot tomorrow. 

8/17 - 2 mile walk

8/18 - 7.5 mile ride

8/24 - 2 mile walk

8/26 - 2 mile walk

8/28 - 3 mile walk

Body weight workouts are not happening. Still can't squat without pain. Someday. . .

Knee surgery is no joke! It will come. Took me a year after minor knee surgery to get full extension back, and now the other knee is a mess. In the meantime, that bike is your friend. You could also try doing squats in the pool, or holding onto the side and kicking your legs will work similar muscles as squats and be much easier on your joints.

It looks like we have similar amounts of weight to lose, I'm subbing and will be rooting for you!

• Like 1

My first six week challenge!

"I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this." -Paul Simon

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.