• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rathlan

Rathlan's journey to Enlightenment - Part 2 - Preparing for Superhero status

The Story

In Part 1 Rathlan learned a lot about his own motivation, and how too much focus on strength and competition can lead to a lack of focus and attention.  However, through the process, he still grew and learned and is back on track to begin his super-hero training.  After re-evaluating his priorities, he searched for a local group of assassins to join and found a group nearby who practice the art of Calisthenics which was extremely motivating.

While his eventual goal may not be achievable in the next 6 weeks, Rathlan's long term goal would be to become as fluid in movement and able to control his movement in a similar way as the green arrow (below):

p9EpoZcs.jpg rSuRafRs.jpg

The Quests

Strength & Control:
  1. [+3 Dex] Join the local Calisthenics group when possibly (Likely only every 2nd saturday)
  2. [+4 Str] Follow shorter, more varied bodyweight workouts 3-4 times a week 

Speed:

1. [+1 Con, +2 Sta] Run at least once a week

Mind:

1. [+2 Wis] Do my Anchor and Sub-Anchor planning each week to build fulfilment
  2. [+1 Con] Take part in the Warrior Race (August) and take it slowly, no self-pressure

Non-fitness:

1. [+2 Cha] Extend talk from JSinSA in preparation for September's meet-up.
  2. [+1 Wis, +1 Cha] Book meet-up for Meteor in August or September

Thanks, Waldgeist!

The "Anchor planning" is my name for an exercise a cognitive behavioural therapist gave me to do a few years back when I was suffering from loads of anxiety problems.  The concept is that people have certain "anchors" that give them stability in their lives.  I've been struggling to figure out where he got the concept from because I lost some of the info on it.

I was recently searching for the concept my therapist was using and the closest I can find is mentioned by Dianne Gaudet where she talks about people having four Anchors:

• Physical - Health, Leisure, Vocation
  • Emotional - Relationships with Life Partner, Family, Friends
  • Spiritual - Sense of self, purpose, community, and spirituality
  • Intellectual - Knowledge, Environment, Financial

The therapist I was seeing broke them down slightly differently which made more sense to me.  The plan is to rate your level of satisfaction in each of the Anchors and Sub-Anchors each week, to then pick the two that you are lowest satisfied in, and finally you plan to do something to improve them in the coming week.  In my case the actions had to be one action inside my comfort zone and one action out of my comfort zone so that I had a way to slowly create behaviours and experiences that were positive in the areas that I was anxious about.

He basically had me use the exercise of "ranking your anchors" as a tool to help me pick the areas of my life where I could apply the basics of cognitive behavioural therapy practices.  

I suspect I have horribly mangled the explanation and I'd have any therapists out there up in arms, so please don't take this as a perfect explanation.  I also haven't read Dianne Gaudet's books yet (I only found her references to "anchors" this week), so I cannot endorse her ideas either - they just happened to cover the "anchors" that I was looking for.

I hope that makes a bit of sense and if you have any questions I am very happy to explain more about it.  :)

Your first paragraph is pretty much, what I presumed just from reading your quest, while the rest is certainly different, but interesting nonetheless. I take it, that this method worked for you then?

Weekly update #1:

Strength:

• Calisthenics Group - I joined the group for their workout this Saturday, really worked my legs a bunch.
  • Strength - I did 3 calisthenic workouts this week - 2x MadBarz, 1x Calisthenics group workout

Speed:

• Ran just over 8km (5 miles) today in 45 minutes and had fun. :)

Mind:

• Anchors - did the plan today and have my goals set for the week
  • Warrior - only going to do this on the 23rd August, so no progress yet

Non-fitness:

• Talk Prep - planned for this week
  • Meteor Meetup - have joined a group in Pretoria to see what happens there, will start planning a meetup for the Johannesburg group next week.

Other than being quite sore (I suspect I'll feel the run tomorrow), I'm quite enjoying the progress so far. :)

• Like 1

welcome back buddy.  @greater_fishy is also doing a warrior race at the end of the month.  Maybe you two are doing the same race ;)

Meteor is a platform for programming web applications (https://www.meteor.com/) and the local groups are about learning from each other. I am by no means an expert at all. I really enjoy the framework they setup, and I love teaching and learning, which makes it a really fulfilling to join in the meet ups.

Weekly Update #2:

Strength:

• Calisthenics Group - this week was a "running group" week, not a "calisthenic" one
  • Strength - 3x "MadBarz" workouts, today's was quite tough.

Speed:

• Ran 8.49km and 4.33km this week (total of 7.46 miles) - doing more runs seems to end up leaving my calves a lot better as a whole.

Mind:

• Anchors - First week went well, I got to do my anchor work.  Planned for the next week.  I'm quite keen to see if my wife is keen to join in on them too.
  • Warrior - only going to do this on the 23rd August, so no progress until then.

Non-fitness:

• Talk Prep - Started working on my next talk
  • Meteor Meetup - I've begun to arrange a location, and will start working on people for topics once we're done there.

I am keen to do more focussed workouts (upper vs lower) and then one general one.   The decent "full body" workouts take a lot longer than I have to spare and the "short" versions just aren't enough of a workout.

• Like 1

Weekly Update #3:

Strength:

• Calisthenics Group - Group this week was outside (yay, for good weather!) but was lead by some new'ish guys which made it a lot less tough than usual.
  • Strength - 2x "MadBarz" workouts, the Calisthenics workout, and 155 lunges, 58 burpees, and 20 or so pullups.

Speed:

• Only ran 3.6km, but that was after another workout so it was pretty tough.

Mind:

• Anchors - They were ok, but I was extra busy this week which made some of them end up being completed in slightly different forms to what I'd originally planned.
  • Warrior - the race is this weekend!  Looking forward to it. 

Non-fitness:

• Talk Prep - Started working on my next talk
  • Meteor Meetup - Finally coordiated everyone's diaries, so we have a date... next week I'll start on getting talks together.

This week's workouts really irritated me - I'm doing "bodyweight" workouts but I'm constantly waiting for people to stop using the pullup bar, a horizontal bar, or dip bars.  Since my shoulders are not quite coping with dips, I'm keen to try cut them out of my routine, but I'm struggling to find anything on "madbars" that would work nicely.  I'm going to head back to doing freeletics but I will practice my restraint and not rush but rather focus on form and quality.

• Like 1

Dips are for tricep strength building right?  Why not try picking up some free weights (use bricks or something, if you don't have access to actual weights) and trying these exercises for a few weeks and then try the dips again. 

Otherwise looking good :D

Thanks @Blaidd, I was worried the dips were starting to cause injury so I am keen to figure out how to build the supporting muscles/ligaments in the shoulder before I start again. I'm debating seeing a physio/bio-kineticist to help out, I was getting close to seeing one over the pain so I am quite keen to lay off anything that would aggravate it more.

perhaps working with lesser weights (than your own body weight) might help.  Otherwise try Kinesio tape (you know the blue tape you occasionally see on rugby players legs?) to keep muscles in place, before spending the money on physio.  Although i do think Physio is a good idea. 

Saw a Physio today, seems like it's not too bad so far just need to work on the muscles that stabilise the shoulder before I get back to dips.  They put Kinesio tape on my shoulder and I'm going to see them again on Friday for some further treatment and to get some exercises I can start doing to strengthen the muscles. 

Good call on the Kinesio tape Blaidd :)

Sigh - the Physio has left me in pain tonight, they did warn it might be a bit sensitive.  I'm going to skip gym for a day or two, so that it doesn't get aggravated at all... With the warrior race this weekend, I'm quite keen to not have it get worse.

OSwBTusm.jpg

Much better today, I am still going to keep off it for a bit. I have an appointment for Friday where the physio will tape me up for the weekend (and the run). She did say it was caught early enough to not be a problem, and had no worries about be doing the race.