• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

It's not just desk sitting, shoulder mobility is a constant battle for pole dancers. A lot of stretching is required to undo all the strength work.

• Like 1

Wow, so much news! Yay!

I love those barefeet shoes. A climber friend has a pare and they look awesome! I really, really want a pair, but will definitely have to work for it - put it up as goal prize or something!

Is it 10miles or 10km? A bit of a difference there... Good luck!

LOL, saw the arms stretches and your fingers touching at the back... tried it and I can touch too! Heard some "cracking" sounds though...uuh oh :nevreness:  Enjoy all the things you have planned (and those you are going to do, that you have not planned on ;) ).

Its 10 miles, so about 16 kilometers :P don't know what hit me there...

Yay on fingers touching!! That's awesome. Cracking is nothing to worry about, it's just joints not being used that way that often.

Thank you, I'm planning to :D

It's not just desk sitting, shoulder mobility is a constant battle for pole dancers. A lot of stretching is required to undo all the strength work.

ahh that does explain a lot! I used to be able to touch the better arm with interlacing fingers fine and the other side to at least touch finger tips - and now... well you've seen the pics *grumbl* BUT now I'm gonna get flexy again, yessssss

• Like 1

Sooo had a long pole training session - big yay - and tried first attempts on a choreo with just playing around. It's still very clumsy as you can see where I am thinking "okay what now" :P also I was getting tired and all the moves that worked so beautifully before did not anymore, kept slipping, too hmpf

Guess it will take a lot of patience...

Well, decided to put these first attempts here anyway, as I always appreciate all of your vids tremendously that show progress and progress it can only be from here on ;)

As I have no clue yet which moves to include in choreo or not and just tried out, would you mind telling me what you think, which ones are good? Or could be good if executed in better form :P I can practice on that you know :D

Here are two attempts: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pphyKHxjRUdnFWODdVWFZXbmc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pphyKHxjRUWVJVdnV4bDB3MWM

As you can see the timing is often not right yet, was just collecting options here. Once I know what should be in, I can fine tune the timing and then technique and expression... love the song needing no steady rhythm as I am terrible on that when I concentrate on technique, haha, and the emotional parts might make a little expression easier on me, too

Adventures...

• Like 2

Well you got back on track fast! ;). Your mobility pics look gorgeous. I always think I look bendy like that then I see my reflection. It never looks as good as it feels.

10 miles is no joke lady! I got suckered into a 4 miler and that's my limit. Running is not my thing.

Congrats on treating yourself to the shoes! Anything that helps you maintain your fitness is a good investment. And you are worth it!

• Like 2

I think you have a great flow and you really can't tell that you're thinking hard about the next move! You move really gracefully too, I'm very impressed!

I know you haven't sorted out the timing yet, but I think pacing is super important for such a dramatic song. The moves in the videos have pretty much the same pace throughout, maybe you could try to slow some parts down to suuper slow and speed some things up, for example by adding a tad more oomph to your spins. 

This is going to be great! Are you going to perform it at your studio or is it just for fun?

• Like 1

Its 10 miles, so about 16 kilometers :tongue: don't know what hit me there...

Just wondering, because you mentioned 8km, but 10miles, and if you can do 8km easily, then 10km shouldn't be too much extra effort, but 10miles is something else! Hats' off! but I know you can do it! You're halfway there already.

I really can't give any advice on the pole, but I like it!

• Like 1

Ok, wow. I agree with Lightning and Hatter (her varied paces idea sounds wonderful), but...

1) damn lady, you are lovely

2) so strong

3) crazy flexible

4) how is anyone that graceful

Seriously, you look amazing. I am so glad you shared and can't wait to see how excellent you can get the final product!

• Like 2

Well you got back on track fast! ;). Your mobility pics look gorgeous. I always think I look bendy like that then I see my reflection. It never looks as good as it feels.

10 miles is no joke lady! I got suckered into a 4 miler and that's my limit. Running is not my thing.

Congrats on treating yourself to the shoes! Anything that helps you maintain your fitness is a good investment. And you are worth it!

Hahaha, I know that feeling so well, especially on back bends it really feels so much more than it is :D 

I used to be real flexible as a kid, but for some reason could never ever do the splits. Now I have to gain flexibility back through working on it and am super happy about what is returning. And who knows maybe if I keep working on it, I might actually get further than then, wouldn't that be just so cool!

Yeah, I'm beginning to get a little nervous about those 10 miles, well actually very nervous... I can run 8 km without any training fine, if I go real slow, but 16?? Feels very daunting right now. Determined to do it now though and I have a star of a sister in law in South Africa (a different one than the one I got you in touch with, Elize -my hubby has many sisters and they all rock) who is a very experienced runner and she is now drafting a training plan for me. Super appreciative of that :) She's run quite a few marathons like the Two Oceans in SA and also the Comrades in each direction, which is about 90km so utter craziness  -so I feel in the best of hands there ;)

Thank you, I am sooooooooooo excited about those shoes!!!!!!! Can hardly sit still waiting for them to arrive in the mail. Wanted them for a long time already and never permitted myself spending that much money on them without "proper" reason, but yeah I'm worth it!! We're all worth what gives us joy, let's just do it

I think you have a great flow and you really can't tell that you're thinking hard about the next move! You move really gracefully too, I'm very impressed!

I know you haven't sorted out the timing yet, but I think pacing is super important for such a dramatic song. The moves in the videos have pretty much the same pace throughout, maybe you could try to slow some parts down to suuper slow and speed some things up, for example by adding a tad more oomph to your spins. 

This is going to be great! Are you going to perform it at your studio or is it just for fun?

Oh wow, Hatter, you just made my day!! Thanks so much for all the kind words  :redface: I had already regretted putting it out there at all, feeling it's so bad, but now I am glad I did not listen to that voice, yay.

YES, I was wondering how to make the timing more interesting - different pace is totally it, thank you!! Ooooh, will have to see what I can do super slow, that is going to be fun. Yeah about the oooomph on my spins  :nevreness: that is the part I battle most with in every single course I do. Huh, reason to work on it extra determined :)

No way I am performing it anywhere :D When I perform even if it's friends or family I get so nervous no grip aid has any effect anymore, it's ridiculous really.

It's just a fun thing to keep me busy while I am pausing the pole classes to do some hoop instead right now (can't  afford to do both classes on long run so have to alternate)

Thanks so much for all your encouragement, now I am super excited again 

shledonrunhugpenny.gif

Just wondering, because you mentioned 8km, but 10miles, and if you can do 8km easily, then 10km shouldn't be too much extra effort, but 10miles is something else! Hats' off! but I know you can do it! You're halfway there already.

I really can't give any advice on the pole, but I like it!

Hahaha, my inner monkey is laughing it's hat off to me for signing up :D But my sis in SA, the one who runs lots of marathons, asked me a whole lot about my current fitness and running level and is confident I'll be fine. She is whipping up a training plan for me in the next days, which is awesome. So now I do feel better about it and will focus on how I want to feel as I train and as I run the race. Like, how can I get the most joy out of all of this, wheeeee :)

Thank you so much, that helps a lot as is  :love_heart:

Ok, wow. I agree with Lightning and Hatter (her varied paces idea sounds wonderful), but...

1) damn lady, you are lovely

2) so strong

3) crazy flexible

4) how is anyone that graceful

Seriously, you look amazing. I am so glad you shared and can't wait to see how excellent you can get the final product!

oh my thank you so much for all the kind words, now I don't know what to say and will do my very best on oooomphing up my spins

200.gif

• Like 2

Your "accidental sign-up" got me thinking about all the "short" walks we have in and around town. The boys have been asking me about our medals hanging in the passage doorway, so I told them you get them for participating and finishing a race. That is the important part, not winning, but finishing and enjoying yourself while doing it. Then I pointed out their medals for Playball, etc. and they want more!

Anyway, around June, July, and August there are a couple of short walks ranging from 5-10km in and around our town. Some are fund-raising efforts for SPCA, others just for fun, etc. but I would like to start doing them again. I did it with my "adopted" mom here in town - love her to bits, and she is keen to try again next year, even though she'll be in her 60s.

• Like 1

Those walks sound great and if you have a fun partner already, go do eeeeeeeeeeet!!!! Whoohooo

That is the important part, not winning, but finishing and enjoying yourself while doing it. 

THIS

Totally my goal here. And I figured the same goes for training. So now I run and every once in a while I check in with my body "How does this feel?" and if it feels like a good idea I pick up my pace for a little while, enjoying the sensation of legs "flying" and then when my heart needs a breather slow down again. Trying to listen as best I can to what it feels like and how my body enjoys it the most.

I have learnt that when I workout "with" my body instead of "for" my body, I get a lot more out of it immediately, my technique is cleaner and any risk of injury or overdoing things is less. Transferring that to my runs is a whole new experience as the times when I did run regularly is soooooooo long ago and I was way less conscious then.

• Like 3

Will still make a pretty do-over of my goals that have now been shifted around so wildly, so that I might get an actual idea of what all I am trying to do at the moment ;)

Overview so far:

- Focused flexibility done on 5 days out of 7 so far and my fingers are already way closer behind my back, so yayyyyyy (pics will follow)

- pole training done twice this week, both long sessions, second with a friend who reminded me that I take a lot of things for granted already, so that was good perspective. Oooomphing up my spins is harder than I excitedly thought, on the other hand that horrible combi is slowly beginning to get there, yay on that. Also my spins are better than last year, so patience here, patience  :peaceful:

- hoop training done once so far and I managed the new move that I could not do in class, whoohoo

splits under the bar still super hard (and way away from splits but that's okay), something to practice that will get my core strrrrrrrrong  :tiger:

- run training done twice: Tuesday 5 km in 39 minutes (yes I am a slow runner), Friday 5 km in 37 minutes (yay)

Friday felt easier too and I am beginning to get a feel for it. No idea how I will do on a longer stretch, but I will deal with that when I get there.

This week has been beautiful in terms of kids quality time and lazy holiday time. I feel it's time for some adulting again though and motivation is sooo low :tongue: Doing some laundry will be a big feat already today ugh what has become of me :o a holiday lazy monster??

Did not continue much on the Yoga for men challenge by the way, but if I keep my run training, focused flexibility, hoop and pole training up, I figure that is okay. Being consistent on those 4 will be my main goal for the remainder of this challenge.

• Like 2

Will still make a pretty do-over of my goals that have now been shifted around so wildly, so that I might get an actual idea of what all I am trying to do at the moment ;)

Overview so far:

- Focused flexibility done on 5 days out of 7 so far and my fingers are already way closer behind my back, so yayyyyyy (pics will follow)

- pole training done twice this week, both long sessions, second with a friend who reminded me that I take a lot of things for granted already, so that was good perspective. Oooomphing up my spins is harder than I excitedly thought, on the other hand that horrible combi is slowly beginning to get there, yay on that. Also my spins are better than last year, so patience here, patience  :peaceful:

- hoop training done once so far and I managed the new move that I could not do in class, whoohoo

splits under the bar still super hard (and way away from splits but that's okay), something to practice that will get my core strrrrrrrrong  :tiger:

- run training done twice: Tuesday 5 km in 39 minutes (yes I am a slow runner), Friday 5 km in 37 minutes (yay)

Friday felt easier too and I am beginning to get a feel for it. No idea how I will do on a longer stretch, but I will deal with that when I get there.

This week has been beautiful in terms of kids quality time and lazy holiday time. I feel it's time for some adulting again though and motivation is sooo low :tongue: Doing some laundry will be a big feat already today ugh what has become of me :o a holiday lazy monster??

Did not continue much on the Yoga for men challenge by the way, but if I keep my run training, focused flexibility, hoop and pole training up, I figure that is okay. Being consistent on those 4 will be my main goal for the remainder of this challenge.

You are doing amazing again! Yah! for 37min, because when was the last time you ran? And now you are already cutting down on time. Glad you had a beautiful time with the kids, and I am there with you w.r.t. the laundry... struggled through my lot today and I only had 3 bundles! (I wash 3x a week to stay ahead, and don't have so much to fold and pack away!). Otherwise Saturday is just my rest day... I do the basics - food, beds, maybe laundry... rest, read, just relax. Tomorrow I'll jump in again.

• Like 1

You are doing amazing again! Yah! for 37min, because when was the last time you ran? And now you are already cutting down on time. Glad you had a beautiful time with the kids, and I am there with you w.r.t. the laundry... struggled through my lot today and I only had 3 bundles! (I wash 3x a week to stay ahead, and don't have so much to fold and pack away!). Otherwise Saturday is just my rest day... I do the basics - food, beds, maybe laundry... rest, read, just relax. Tomorrow I'll jump in again.

Thank you :) I did run 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months, before than I think it's like 2 years ago?? Not sure, but I was exhausted after 15 min then and red like a tomato. Well to be fair I am always red like a tomato when I run :D

About 8 or 9 years ago I ran regularly for a few months and managed more then 10 km even some times. But that feels ages away, so I am very happy how well this is starting off here.

DID my laundry today AND weeded an infestation of creepers out for nearly 2 hours in the garden, cycled to the shops and tidied up a bit around the house... so now I feel like this :D

200.gif

It's so funny how insurmountable the small things sometimes look and how big and strong we feel after conquering them anyway!

Know now too why it was so tough to get into anything the last few days... shark week has set in. Now that it's here, I know, it'll be easier.

Also went for a half hour roller blading with my daughter and we are both getting a lot more confident now, yay. Now we can practice on breaking stronger, play with turns and slaloms, speed and she loves hopping in between, which I skip (pun not intended but there it is)

Tomorrow won't be a rest day either (have had a quiet week though, so that's alright) as I will uncover our tent and check if it is complete, becauuuuuuuuuuse on Monday I am taking my girl to LEGOLAND for two days!! She is super excited, it's her first trip ever there and we are going to have a ball. Will pitch the tent on the campground there and have two days for exploring it all as you can do it in one day, but then it is rushed and I want her to have fun. We're taking her "parallel sister" along, a good friend of hers who is also half-sister to my girls half-sister therefore the term "parallel sisters". The two of them are such a funny pair: one nearly a head taller than the other even though they are nearly exactly the same age, one blond with blue eyes, the other dark haired with brown eyes and contrary in many character traits too, but then totally alike again. They love each other to bits and then they take a break again and don't see each other for months. At the moment we are in the inseparable phase :) 

Am very glad to have a second girl along as it means fewer rides I have to be along on at the park and more time watching them enjoy and taking pictures instead of being car sick or soaked wet :P

• Like 3

Here is an early week 1 update on my focused flexibility, I am so happily surprised with the progress from just one week:

shoulder mobility right Arm On Top

last Sunday

shoulder mobility right Arm Top week1

today

shoulder mobility left Arm On Top

last Sunday

shoulder mobility left Arm On Top week1 A

today

I really struggle with the twisting of my hand that side, but you can still see the improvement and if I don't twist my hands were quite far apart last week two and now they can touch on that side, whooooooohoooooooo

shoulder mobility left Arm On Top week1

Not sure if my neck mobility improved, but the exercises do me good anyway, so I'll keep them included

neck mobility right

last Sunday

neck mobility right week1

today

This side looks actually better last week  :huh:

neck mobility left

last Sunday

neck mobility left week1

today

• Like 2

Thank you :) I did run 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months, before than I think it's like 2 years ago?? Not sure, but I was exhausted after 15 min then and red like a tomato. Well to be fair I am always red like a tomato when I run :D

About 8 or 9 years ago I ran regularly for a few months and managed more then 10 km even some times. But that feels ages away, so I am very happy how well this is starting off here.

DID my laundry today AND weeded an infestation of creepers out for nearly 2 hours in the garden, cycled to the shops and tidied up a bit around the house... so now I feel like this :D

It's so funny how insurmountable the small things sometimes look and how big and strong we feel after conquering them anyway!

Know now too why it was so tough to get into anything the last few days... shark week has set in. Now that it's here, I know, it'll be easier.

Also went for a half hour roller blading with my daughter and we are both getting a lot more confident now, yay. Now we can practice on breaking stronger, play with turns and slaloms, speed and she loves hopping in between, which I skip (pun not intended but there it is)

Tomorrow won't be a rest day either (have had a quiet week though, so that's alright) as I will uncover our tent and check if it is complete, becauuuuuuuuuuse on Monday I am taking my girl to LEGOLAND for two days!! She is super excited, it's her first trip ever there and we are going to have a ball. Will pitch the tent on the campground there and have two days for exploring it all as you can do it in one day, but then it is rushed and I want her to have fun. We're taking her "parallel sister" along, a good friend of hers who is also half-sister to my girls half-sister therefore the term "parallel sisters". The two of them are such a funny pair: one nearly a head taller than the other even though they are nearly exactly the same age, one blond with blue eyes, the other dark haired with brown eyes and contrary in many character traits too, but then totally alike again. They love each other to bits and then they take a break again and don't see each other for months. At the moment we are in the inseparable phase :)

Am very glad to have a second girl along as it means fewer rides I have to be along on at the park and more time watching them enjoy and taking pictures instead of being car sick or soaked wet :tongue:

You have all the right to feel/shout YES!

Oh Legoland! That is the one overseas trip we are willing to save our holiday points for! The boys would love to go, has seen parts in adverts on YouTube, etc. but alas for us it is A LOT of money and we have to really think hard on it. But it would be so much fun and a totally wicked experience all by itself! LOL, glad the parallel sisters can keep each other entertained on the rides.

In the meantime we'll take the boys for Oldest's birthday to uShaka Wet n Wild in November. Thinking to buy double tickets to watch the dolphin and seal shows, as well as get entrance to the water park side.

• Like 1

Oooh, that is exactly the water slide my boy showed me videos of yesterday and he will be soooooooooo jealous of your boys going there!! That looks like a brilliant holiday goal for you.

I can understand your kids wanting to see the seal and dolphin shows, just personally never go there as I feel the dolphins especially should not be in an aquarium no matter how large, but that is just my personal story and I don't want it to spoil anything for you.

The Legoland trip is just 2 hours drive from us, but even so it is an expensive thing to do and very special for the girls. It's our gift for her first church communion ceremony which was in May and ever since she was super excited waiting for the day to come :) Weather will be good, too, it is going to be fantastic for her. Will share some pics with you and then if you ever come to Germany you can come see us and go there, too ;)

• Like 1

GUYS!!!! 

I just ran my 8 km and guess what my time was: 62 minutes  :triumphant:  :triumphant:  :triumphant:

That is more than 10 minutes faster than what it usually took me (was about 75 min as I remember)

Plus it was beautiful, aaaah early morning sun on forest and fields with dew drops glistening, not a soul about, just me and my running and the sunshine and the trees and fields oh and some birds singing, so there were some souls about  ^_^

Alternated with my pace playfully, found I can keep my steps relatively light for most of the time and when they fell heavier my right knee would complain ever so slightly and remind me to correct it again. Took the first half slow and enjoyed to be able to lengthen my steps for some periods on the way back, go slow to catch my breath enough for breathing through my nose only, pick up pace again,...

It was simply lovely. Could have probably gone for 2 more kilometers. Not 16 in total yet, but 10 would be doable already. And I still have 7 weeks to train. Feeling like I can actually do this, yayyyyyyy 

Had a great stretch afterwards too, bummer that the mini teams are pausing until we managed our dining (and I have nothing to contribute for that yet) as I had great stretch times yesterday and today.

Ah good times :)

Happy Sunday everyone

HappySundayCat.gif

• Like 3

Ooh, finally caught up :) The running is going to be a completely new challenge compared to the artistic strength stuff you've been doing recently, but you'll learn a lot from that! 

I know what you mean about performing in front of people - it's like you feel you need to interact with them somehow rather than just getting on with whatever you're performing... and constantly worrying whether it's boring for them even when they'd surely find it novel and interesting (or at worst, relaxing). Or at least those are the thoughts that are in the back of my mind when performing unless I neutralize them :P It's probably the same reason why people giving speeches tend to speak so fast - for fear of being boring when actually everyone would rather they speak normally.

Keep it up :) It's great to see you doing well and enjoying these sports. Between the pole and hoop you're building up a solid strength foundation. I need to start doing some mobility work... I might try incorporating something like yours into my challenge in September....

• Like 1

GUYS!!!! 

I just ran my 8 km and guess what my time was: 62 minutes  :triumphant:  :triumphant:  :triumphant:

That is more than 10 minutes faster than what it usually took me (was about 75 min as I remember)

Plus it was beautiful, aaaah early morning sun on forest and fields with dew drops glistening, not a soul about, just me and my running and the sunshine and the trees and fields oh and some birds singing, so there were some souls about  ^_^

Alternated with my pace playfully, found I can keep my steps relatively light for most of the time and when they fell heavier my right knee would complain ever so slightly and remind me to correct it again. Took the first half slow and enjoyed to be able to lengthen my steps for some periods on the way back, go slow to catch my breath enough for breathing through my nose only, pick up pace again,...

It was simply lovely. Could have probably gone for 2 more kilometers. Not 16 in total yet, but 10 would be doable already. And I still have 7 weeks to train. Feeling like I can actually do this, yayyyyyyy 

Had a great stretch afterwards too, bummer that the mini teams are pausing until we managed our dining (and I have nothing to contribute for that yet) as I had great stretch times yesterday and today.

Ah good times :)

Happy Sunday everyone

HappySundayCat.gif

It IS a happy Sunday! As Impressed as I am with your pole work, the running is what really makes me say WOW! I have never been able to run. Seems like such a simple thing but I think my body is built for hiking up big hills or carrying heavy things :). I bet you look like a gazelle when you run :)

Sounds like you are have having so much fun with the family time! I took the kiddos to Legoland ( think it was around Chicago?) when they were younger.they absolutely enjoyed it but what I remember most is taking them to an IKEA later that day and I swear they loved that even more! :).

• Like 2