First Challenge For Leli

Leli

Hi!

I'm joining in last minute for the next challenge!  I live in the UK, I'm a physics graduate turned coder and I'm in my 20s.  My favourite geeky things are computers and science.  I also like sewing & cross stitch.  My favourite things on TV are Doctor Who,  Game of Thrones (recent convert) and Agents of Shield.  Since none are airing at the moment, my favourite right now is Humans.

I've been reading the nerd fitness blog since last year and I've finally decided to be less half arsed about getting fitter!  My previous attempts over the last few years have been unsuccessful... mostly because they made me unhappy.  
  • I ate very little, which made me hungry & unhappy.
  • I went to the gym, which made me bored & unhappy. I didn't know what I was doing so I just ran on a treadmill, biked and used the weight machines.
  • I went running, which made me frustrated & unhappy because I didn't feel like I was making any progress.

I am, thankfully, in a better place to try again now.
I was about to join a normal gym again but then I came across a new CrossFit gym opening a short walk away from my house. When I started 3 months ago I told myself I could quit after a month but I had to give it my all for that 1 month.  I went 4x a week and haven't stopped since. I love lifting weights and trying to do handstand walks and pullups.  I love our little community of people who cheer each other on.  I love feeling good about doing exercise.  I'm becoming a CrossFit bore but i kinda love that too :tongue:

Main Goal
I want to lose some body fat and gain some muscle.  I want to look better but I also want to feel strong and proud of what my body can do. Ultimately I want to be able to look in a mirror and think 'Hey, my body is awesome!'

SMART goals
1. Exercise 5 x per week.
A: 28+   B: 20-28  C: Under 20
    I've been hitting this most weeks for the past month or so.  I've been doing 4 days of crossfit a week and I've recently started doing a yoga class on a different day.
I'd like to mix in a bit more exercise at home/on my own because at the moment I feel very reliant on having a coach there to tell me what to do (and for motivation).  I want to be a bit more self sufficient when it comes to getting off my ass and working out!

2. Track my diet and improve it.
A: 38/42 days tracked   B: 35/42 days tracked  C: 30/42 days tracked
    a.  Use MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat.
    b.  Make sure the numbers from the last 2 weeks are better than the numbers from the first 2!  But first I need to work out what those improvements are going to be.

Right now this is a bit fluffy!  I'm going to focus on recording everything for the first 2 weeks.  This usually has a side effect of making me make healthier choices anyway!
I know from recording before that I generally eat too little protein. From looking at my entries last year I was eating around 160g (65g sugar) carbs, 50g fat, 45g protein (around 1200-1300 kcal).

3.  Do 3 pull ups.
A: 3 pull ups from dead hang  B: 3 pull ups with jump/2 pull ups from dead hang   C: 2 pull ups with jump
Right now my best try is 1.5 with a bit of a jump up to the first one.  It's taken a while to get to that point but I try to practice every time I'm at the gym.

Side Quest: Get rid of 50 things (and don't bring in 50 things to replace them)
A: 45+  B:40-45  C: 30-40
My house is becoming an increasingly cluttered mess.  I should be able to find just over 1 thing a day to get rid of.  

Day One!

1) Crossfit. Back squats. Stayed after and did some skipping & handstand practice.  I get a bit scared about tipping over when I'm doing handstands not against a wall.  I swear I was fine when i was 6 years old :P

2) All tracked here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/lynn_elizabeth.

3) Did quite a lot of pullups with a band.  Did an assortment of pullups and chinups jumping up to the bar.  Hmm... maybe more structure would be helpful here!

Side) 0 unless I count the food I ate.  Probably shouldn't!

I haven't tried kipping pull ups but it looks fun!  I tried with knees to chest 

Day 2

1) More crossfit.  Week total 2/5

2) Still tracking.  Week total 2/7

3) Bit of hanging from the bar

Side) +3 - Recycled a load of junk mail,catalogues & boxes. Total 3/50

• Like 1

Day 3

1) 6am crossfit.  Yoga in the afternoon. I'm busy the next couple of days so got an extra 1 in. Week total 4/5

2) Week total 3/7

3) 4 x 10 ring rows, 3 x jump to pull up, 2 x jump to chin up

Side) 0. Total 3/50

Days 4- 6

1) 1 crossfit.

Also about 15 miles of walking but I'm counting that for this challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68686-all-truly-great-thoughts-are-conceived-by-walking-july-26-to-sep-6/.  If I get over 6 miles in a day I might count it as a workout (it's about twice what I do on a normal day).  Week total 5/5

2) I had snacks today and didn't count properly :(.  Went to a market and ate quite a few samples and picked up some lunch from the deli counter. Week total 5/7.

3) Nothing on days 4 & 5.  50 ring rows & 4 jumping pull ups on day 6.

Side) +1 pair of socks. Total 4/50  

Day 7

1) Nothing today. Week total 5/5

2) Tracked again today.  Week total 6/7

3) Nothing today

Side) +3 (clothes/dead room fragrancer). Total 7/50

WEEK 1

1) 5/5 workouts completed

Next week: Do 1 at home workout.

2) 6/7 days food tracked

Next week: Try for 7.  Unhealthy days are OK but I have to log them.  I'm going to bulk cook some lunches and add them to myfitnesspal as meals/recipes so they're easy to add each day. Makes it easier to avoid buying lunch too.

3) 4 days of practicing.  I can do about 1.75 if I jump to the first one, but I don't think I'm reaching full arm extension at the bottom

Next week: Keep going... Work on the bottom bit of the pull up.

Side) 7/50

Next week: Sort out 1 drawer or shelf.

• Like 2

I'm happy for you that you've found the workout that suits you well !

Physics graduate turned coder. That is a very cool combination !

You did daily log, and i'm sure it's a fun journey to see you crush this challenge.

All the best  :encouragement:

[ Rzqnzhf ][ Half-Elves ][ Level - 1 ]

[ STR - 3 ] [ DEX - 1 ] [ STA - 1 ] [ CON - 2 ] [ WIS - 1 ] [ CHA - 0 ]

Setting Up the First Player

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

Oh man another physicist weight lifting Doctor Who/ GoT fan?!?! This brings me great joy.

Awesome job killing week one! 

Definitely don't be afraid to up your calories if you have to.  I can't see your MFP entry because it's private but I'm hoping you're eating more than the 1300 calories you mentioned you had been eating last year (I assume so, since you also said you were tired & hungry all the time which is not a happy sounding nerd). 

Anyway, welcome to the rebellion! :D

Thanks everyone :)

Oh man another physicist weight lifting Doctor Who/ GoT fan?!?! This brings me great joy.

Awesome job killing week one! 

Definitely don't be afraid to up your calories if you have to.  I can't see your MFP entry because it's private but I'm hoping you're eating more than the 1300 calories you mentioned you had been eating last year (I assume so, since you also said you were tired & hungry all the time which is not a happy sounding nerd). 

Anyway, welcome to the rebellion! :D

I've think I've averaged 1300-1400 so slightly higher, but maybe not enough since I'm exercising quite a lot.  I don't really know how much I should eat so I've sort of gone off MyFitnessPal & added a bit. More research needed I think.  I want to lose a little weight, but I don't want to lose those muscles I've been working hard to build up!

Week 2's off to a decent start

Day 8-9

1) 2 crossfits and I walked over 6 miles yesterday so bonus point, woo! Week total 3/5

2) Both tracked. Bought a couple of bags of stir fry veg form the reduced section in the supermarket for 10p each which I've cooked & split into portions for lunch.  Could do with getting some chicken pieces to go with it. Week total 2/7

3) A few practice pullups but not managed to stay after classes or arrive very early so far.  Tomorrow will be my rest/yoga day so I'll try again on Thursday :)

Side) Nowt. Total 7/50

• Like 1

With you being into crossfit and all the walking you're doing I would highly reccommend taking another look at your calorie intake.  You'll build/maintain muscle a lot easier and have a lot more energy for all your activities and will keep losing inches, too.  Have you looked at IIFYM? That's usually a good place to start.

Ugh.. busy busy busy.... Late week 2 summary!

Week 2

1) Workouts: Week total 5/5.  I still haven't done anything at home though, maybe this week.

2) Pull ups: I can get my nose to the bar without jumping... so close!  I'm really hoping I can get that first pull up this week.  I have some blisters on my hands though so I'm taking at least a day off from practicing.

3) Tracking food: 6/7 again.  Had dinner out: chicken breast with grilled peppers, courgette, tomato and goats cheese.  No idea how much of anything but it was really really tasty! :tongue:  This week I'm going to try to eat at least 60g of protein every day.

Side) +14 (tackled some of the garage). Total 21/50.

MFP is so mean :neglected: I've put the IIFYM values into MFP and I'm adjusting what I'm eating gradually towards them :)

Gym is so much more awesome when you actually know what you're doing?  Doesn't look like you're doing too badly.  Keep it up. 

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Rangers' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Week 3

1) Workouts 5/5.  Still nothing except Crossfit and a yoga class. I dunno if i'm the only one who feels too embarrassed to do exercise with their non exercising partner around.  I'm a very self conscious person in general.

2) Food tracking - 5/7.  I feel like I've fallen off the wagon with this.  2 meals out and I've been eating really unhealthy food today and laying around feeling sorry for myself :(  Mostly because I went out last night and drank too many cocktails and i've been feeling slightly nauseous all day. Ugh... I can't be bothered to plan/measure out ingredients for decent meals just feel like giving up. 

3) Pull ups.   I finally did 1 pull up yesterday!  I was very excited at the time but I'm being a grumpy git today...

This week I just want to not give up!

Side) + 2 total 23/50

3) Pull ups.   I finally did 1 pull up yesterday!  I was very excited at the time but I'm being a grumpy git today...

This week I just want to not give up!

Side) + 2 total 23/50

Why didn't I see this earlier, you managed to BEAT PULL UP !!

This is no time to be grumpy, this is Victory !

(unless you're having something which I clearly don't about it, which in that case I'm sorry for that)

Oh boy. How I wish I know how to put Gifs here !

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world"

Aww, thankyou Rzqnzhf and Raxie :) I'm just about hanging on here!

I'm OK, just minor annoyances and not enough chill out time. Work's been stressful and now I'm working extra hours. No time for lunchtime yoga, I barely have time to eat. Sorry to be all moany :(

I've missed crossfit a few times - sometimes I'm stuck there late in the evenings, sometimes I'm just too tired to get up in time for the early class. It should be a short term thing but I'm struggling a bit. My food tracking went down the pan a bit last week but I'm still going with my other challenges so I'm trying to not give myself a hard time about it!

Week 4

1) Workouts 5/5. 3 x Crossfit, an 8 mile walk and 1 session of yoga videos. I tried a couple of yoga with Adriene videos since I've seen a few people who like it on here. I prefer classes but it's nice to be able to practice at home. I'm very new to yoga and I'm sure it'll help to learn some positions so I'm less behind my fellow yoga class go-ers.

2) Food tracking - 4/7. I need to plan some nice healthy meals and go shopping. Its just not happening right now :(

3) Pull ups. Working towards 2 this week. On about 1.5 if I don't jump.

Side) + 4 total 27/50

• Like 1

It's totally cool if something is going astray. That's how we improve. We learn, we adapt, and we adjust accordingly. 1 step back, 2 step forward ! wohoo !

Week 6

1) Workouts 4/5.  3 crossfits & a walk

2) food tracking 6/7

3) Pull ups 2.5 from hanging

Side) +23 Mostly from week 5 but I forgot in my last post! I had a bit of a wardrobe sort.

FINAL UPDATE!

WORKOUTS: 30/30! A+

I'm very proud of myself!  I've had a really busy stressful time recently so I'm really glad I've still managed to do this quest.  Normally my reaction to being stressed and tired would be to give up everything but I didn't, not even when the easy option (lunchtime yoga class in the building I work in) was taken away :)  I feel like it'll be much easier to keep up exercising 5x a week now.

FOOD:  29/42 C

This was the one that suffered the most when life got in the way!  I learnt that tracking isn't something I can keep up with long term, at least not when I'm not taking proper lunches at work.  I used to enter breakfast & lunch at lunchtime and it didn't feel like too much of a chore, but when I'm trying to enter/remember everything in the evening I find it a bit much.  I'll try again sometime.

PULL UPS: A

I didn't quite manage 3 but I'm still giving myself an A for getting 2.5!  It actually feels a bit strange that I couldn't even do 1 6 weeks ago, I remember being stuck going from straight arms to slightly bent and pulling as hard as I could with no result but now it's fine :D

SIDE QUEST:

50 things have left my house!  I probably need to repeat this again, but at least my wardrobe looks better and I have more space to put things in the garage.

• Like 1