awesomesue is on her way to EPIC

awesomesue

I ran and glad I did.  It was a very late lunch but still I was able to take one and get a run in so I will take that as a win.  

Today is more biking fun outside of commuting.  I think a 2-2.5 hour ride is in order and strength work.  This weekend I have a longer run planned and around a 5 hour ride.  Of course there is house work and playing with kiddo (tennis and swimming).

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Did not get in my full ride yesterday.  I was exhausted but I did get 1.5 hours and strength.  Today I knocked out a long run at a very easy pace.  Went onto a trail and explored.  It was tougher than I am used to so it was definitely enjoyable.  :)  Had two more times I almost sat and stared at the tv for no reason.  Once I sat down but realized why I was watching it so I got back up and got to what I wanted to actually do.  Felt good to have that kind of control.  The other time I realized it before sitting and turned around out of the room and went to do what I wanted to do.  As soon as I am done here I am going to sit and read for awhile.  TV is on in our place too often in my opinion.  I always turn it off and usually turn on music when the family vacates the house.

You what I love the most.  When stressed or just agitated they know to turn me around and kick me out to ride a bike or go for a run.  I love that my family knows that about me and appreciates it about me.

Goal 1 5/18 (bike workout)

Goal 2 11/36  (run and strength work)

Goal 3 8/10 (not using the tv to avoid things or veg for no reason when I have things I enjoy more or need to do)

• Like 2

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Despite enjoying excellent food choices yesterday I made a crappy choice.  I mean the kind of stuff I know right out of the gate makes me sick while eating it and then afterwards.  wth?  Anyway woke up still feeling sick from it this morning.  Dang it.  I knew I had a big ride today.  I rode but it was cut short and I felt like crud.  Tired the entire time and my heart rate (not wearing a monitor but I could tell) sat elevated for the first portion of it.  Ended up only riding 45 miles.  Feels weird saying that but I know I can ride loads more.  I yawned the entire time and my gut was still most displeased with me from the previous evenings stupidity.  Throw in stress from work finally taking a toll and yeah it was not pretty.  Next weekend we have a big adventure day weekend with Girl Scouts on Saturday and I need to be smart this week with eating and training.  If I am smart I can still nail the longer ride next Sunday. 

Avoided another tv temptation to being slothy.  It is amazing how much more I get done and how much happier I am with how things are going.  This "fun little goal" has proven to be more than expected.  That is a pleasant surprise.

Goal 1 6/18 (bike workout)

Goal 2 11/36  (run and strength work)

Goal 3 9/11 (not using the tv to avoid things or veg for no reason when I have things I enjoy more or need to do)

Onward to week 3!

ONLY!!!! 45 miles, you are to hard on yourself, I would hate to guess what portion of the western world could ride 45 miles but I would think it would be below 2%.

• Like 1

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.

Thanks!  Well Pelotonia was this weekend and thousands of people covered anywhere from 25 to 180 miles (the longer rides 100+ take place over 2 days).  That link was for our local event.  It happens all over the place.  But still yeah you are right not a huge number of people can do it.  Getting nervous thinking about doing my 100 mile ride.

Made a killer dinner.  It is so relaxing to make a good meal for the family.  Been resting today and playing with kiddo.  She beat me again at chess.  LOL  I went ahead and planned my food to take to work and have it packed and ready to go in the morning.  Might sort out dinner so no thinking necessary tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be strength and a short run of a couple miles or so.

Okay just planned dinner for tonight so I am not stupid.  It is easy, healthy, and definitely comfort food.  I know healthy and comfort food seemed to be polar opposites not too long ago!  I have a feeling I will be drained emotionally when I get home.  A coworker called and is coming in today for a Sue hug.  On her birthday her boyfriend that was talking marriage to her broke up and it was ugly I guess after she got in from going out with her best friends.  In the midst of that one of her best friends then preceded to commit suicide after they all had been out that evening so that was a phone call she received while dealing with her other emotional upheaval.  Not thinking the rest of the day at work will be as productive as I wanted it to be but being there is more important.  wowza...

Trying to brace myself mentally before I see them so I can listen and hug.

• Like 1

Wow! That sounds awful. Make sure you don't take it all on your shoulders. It's easy to take on other peoples stress.

I was able to listen and talk as she needed.  All of it is pretty awful but she will be fine.  The friends passing put this ex-boyfriends behavior into perspective.  

So I was not wanting to cook but as I was doing dishes and getting ready to cook we lost power due to a storm.  It came back on 7 hours later so we ended up with take out.  Not the best choices there.  I did not eat as much but I did have soda and a dessert that I certainly did not need.  Pretty frustrating.  Otherwise it was a good evening.

Counting today:

Goal 1 7/18 (bike workout)

Goal 2 13/36  (run and strength work)

Goal 3 10/12 (not using the tv to avoid things or veg for no reason when I have things I enjoy more or need to do)

Heavy stuff going on - hope you are all doing ok!

• Like 1

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Biking to work is AWESOME.  Made it to work in 18 minutes despite red lights and traffic.  As I was taking my bike into my building I met a 3rd shift cleaning person, Mike, who bikes 26 miles each way.  He has a second bike that allows him to ride in snow which I can not yet.  Wow so cool.  He could do it in less than 20 miles but he likes to stick to nothing but trails to get here and home.  Once this one trail is completed and you will not have to take some scary bad roads in he will be able to shave time and distance.  At the same time he loves riding so much I doubt he will do that very often other than to add variety to his commute.  LOL

Today another strength workout and run planned.  Excited.

The family tried to tempt me into mindless tv viewing.  I would only watch a bit more after I took care of dishes and putting food away and things like that at which point I did watch some more with them.  It even motivated my husband to do a couple necessary things between episodes so he did not mess up what he was working on which another win!  Feeling good with where I am at in the challenge.

Counting today:

Goal 2 15/36  (run and strength work)

Goal 3 11/13 (not using the tv to avoid things or veg for no reason when I have things I enjoy more or need to do)

Okay I am a little behind.  I have avoided the mindless tv viewing 3 more times.  No fails any of those times so I am pleased.  The rest has had a bit of bump.  While riding on Thursday I had a mishap and messed up my ankle.  Nothing broken or sprained.  I even rode to work on Friday but it is bruised and really tender.  It is still sore today but not nearly as bad as it had been.  So no running and I missed 2 rides.  One of the rides was my long ride yesterday.  I know one off week will not throw off the 100 mile ride.  I know this rationally but being how I am I feel like I did.  I had to be on my feet Saturday and by Sunday it was hurting.  I did not ride in today due to running behind this morning.  I may try a small run this evening and if it is all good be back on track for the rides I am doing to help prep for the 100 miles!  I will get this done and I am really looking forward to it.

Goal 2 17/36  (run and strength work)

Goal 3 13/15 (not using the tv to avoid things or veg for no reason when I have things I enjoy more or need to do)

Hey, how have you been? Hope things are going ok!

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

The last few days have been weird!  Ankle is better so that is great.  Work and stress and a massive change in routine have thrown me for a big loop.  Throw in fun with RA and well there you go.  I will spare the details of it all.  Definitely off my game a bit.  Doctor visit planned on Monday.  So goal 1 is definitely still elusive for the end of the challenge since I have missed over a week of riding.  However tomorrow I am back to riding and will keep plugging along.  It may be delayed a couple weeks as I get back to where I was but not stopping.  Kind of blew goal 2 as well.  Hard to be motivated to move with burning pain, stiffness, fatigue, and inflammation but then again that is exactly what I should have been doing.  So back at that today.  Actually as we have worked on restructuring our routine goal 3 has been kept and helped immensely.  Despite it all I may not have been moving but I have not vegged in front of the tv either more than a couple times.   I was able to stay focused on what needed done and used my energy wisely so that is definitely on track and a big win in my book.  Granted I have not tracked how often I was tempted to hide behind the tv and a couple times I did give in but I can honestly say I have not 90% or better of the time.

Not 100% but definitely feeling better today.  Did a body weight workout and it felt good.  Vacation day today and tomorrow have definitely been needed.  With kiddo back in school I will have no issue getting in some bike time.  I am thinking 1-2 hours of fun.  Will be much slower than it had been but it is better than not riding.  Can not wait to be riding to work again.  

For the remainder of the challenge I will aim for:

Goal 1 - 5 additional bike rides of 1-2+ hours or sprints and two long rides so get back on track and resume riding for the bigger goal.  100 miles will happen but not in the next two weeks but possibly in the next 4.  It all depends on inflammation.

Goal 2 - 5 strength work and/or runs

Goal 3 - keep on working on not hiding behind the TV or vegging out for 100% of the time.  

Getting ready to jump on the bike.  Dropped kiddo off for the first day of school, felt all teary eyed walking home, and now ready to tackle a nice ride.  Just what I need. Heading outside so I am able enjoy the weather and quiet paths.  Not used to this on a weekday so I am making the most of it.  If I stay home I am feeling the pull of the tv veg out and that is definitely not what I need right now.  Stiff and sore today with burning muscles but it is not something I have not experienced before and will get past again.  ;)

Oh we tried making deviled eggs but using avacado.  Hubby still added a little mayo but they are soooooooo delicious.  Topped them with a bit to chipotle pepper powder and just wow.

Okay I am off and riding for at least an hour.  :)

Rode for an hour covering about 10-11 miles.  Felt good enough though my bum is not entirely happy.  I may try sprints tomorrow morning on my bike.  I came home and enjoyed a strong mug of hot water and ginger.  Still it was nice to feel the tires on the road and hear the birds.

• Like 2

I love the birds in the morning. I'm headed up to the park in the AM tomorrow (to walk gently and stretch and walk again gently) so I'll get to enjoy them too.

How many miles can you cover before your bum starts complaining?

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

I love the birds in the morning. I'm headed up to the park in the AM tomorrow (to walk gently and stretch and walk again gently) so I'll get to enjoy them too.

How many miles can you cover before your bum starts complaining?

It is more of a function of time than distance.  I have ridden about 50 before aching and a little less than 25 miles.  The more I ride longer the longer it takes for soreness since the posterior adjusts to it I guess.  Can not get fitted for any seat right now but with the husband getting a job that could happen in the future (next year maybe...we have other priorities to tend to).  Hey T I still need to mail the video.  Things have been wonky.  I should have it out the latest Tuesday (my next pay).

Been riding the past couple days and moving is just what I needed to get doing again.  Still not 100% but I am better then I was this weekend and even yesterday so I will take that as a win.  Super busy and stressed at work thus yesterday I ended up pulling off a crunched for time workout.  Wow that topic hit at a good time in the mini.  I did not realized until I got to work what kind of insanity it was going to be.  I know I have the luxury of working in jeans and a tshirt.  So I took just a couple minutes while listening to a link from the current NF post (I know I said I was busy but I can listen while lining up tasks for the day and quickly grinding out administrative stuff).  I knocked out 10 burpees.  Used the stairs for sprinting, quick sets of 10 calf raises, and a few lunges on landings.  Yep felt good.  Not as awesome as a regular workout but I felt good knowing I got something done and I enjoy it.  However by the time I rode home my stomach was quite upset the entire ride.  It is either a bug that is going around or it is from stress.  I walked my bike almost a mile from it feeling really really off thinking I might get sick.  It hurt all night and again this morning and really feels more like a bug.  Too busy to stay home.  Hit the sack around 7:30 in fact.

Avoided tv distraction and feel like that although my stomach was hurting and not feeling well I got stuff that needed done completed because I did not let tv distract me.  Feels really good. 

Great job doing the mini at work. I managed some work last night and again this morning. It was great to finish and start the day helping me.

Work stress really tests us doesn't it? Especially when you work for a company. The idea of not letting anyone else down, not to mention putting your job in jeopardy, makes me worked harder. Trouble is it's not usually working SMART. So the mini this week really helps slow things down in between preforming for a boss.

I might be rambling! I'm gonna eat now. Cheers!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Nailing my remaining workouts so far.  Planning a longer ride today.  I am shooting for about 3 hours or 45-50 miles.  Also the tv thing is going remarkably well.  I feel more organized and relaxed at home and that is truly enjoyable.

This next week I have a doctors visit on Monday and our semester starts at work.  Stress yes but I am working on managing the stress.  I am pretty sure a 100 miles might be out of reach next weekend BUT I decided I can still try for 100 in a 24 hour period.  Basically ride a bunch on Saturday and finish the miles within the 24hr mark on Sunday.  That actually has me excited.  Technically that is my epic but not really how I intended.  Who knows I may get going and do it.  Either way I have an option and I am excited to continue.  I hate getting delayed but I have learned from each time something has happened.

Overall I am feeling okay.  Working on managing what I am able to control with stress, how I handle it, and my health.  Okay off to fold laundry and hop on my bike!   :onthego:

• Like 1

Things have been changing so much.  Work has been insane.  Getting tired of people that lack the drive to take responsibility or work ethic in regards to their jobs.  A couple guys know I will do what is right but found out the hard way my action does not make me a scapegoat for their lack of taking responsibility for their jobs.  At home we have experienced massive changes, all good, and the start of another school year.  Being a parent is hard.  Letting go as our kiddo grows and changes is hard.  Watching kiddo navigate a new school year with more expectations and so on is hard let alone the additional responsibilities at home.  Just lots and lots going on in general.  Monday was doctor fun for me.  Pretty much my lab work was decent.  Yet when I got the voicemail to call about the lab work the next message I had was from a specialist I get to see.  Fun right?  It is all good though.  

Doctor stuff is no sweat, at home we will all find a new balance/routine, and work will slowly settle.  Another good thing as a result of all the stress and upheaval I have a very solid next challenge planned.

This weekend was hot.  Kiddo ended up sick and since we love to share I am sick too.  After this I see a nice warm long nap in our very near future.  The ride did not happen this weekend but it will next.  I am determined and I am looking forward to it.  The tv thing has been amazing.  I think not letting myself get distracted by it has helped me manage all that is going on in general.  I did it as a fun goal and it ended up making a big impact and the only goal I nailed.  Hey hitting one solidly is better than not trying or learning from missed goals.  So I can say I did get schooled a bit with my other goals but I also have a better understanding of what I need to do to be successful and healthy.  In my excitement with some aspects of my longer term goals I am getting ahead of myself at times thinking it would help get me to the biggest goal.  Eventually yes but right now I need to simply focus on the most basic things for a time.  Okay I feel miserable and believe it is time for a nap.

Today the entire family is sick.  Kiddo and I were getting better but now we are starting to get sick again.