Cymeteria : 1st challenge !

Cymeteria

Hello ! 

My name is Marie, I've just turned 30 and I'm french (this is important because my english is far from perfect !). 
I'm a runner (I ran the NY marathon last year), a swimmer and I try very hard to do some yoga everyday (but I'm as stiff as an oak tree so this is challenging). 
I was in very good shape last year, but after running the NY marathon I let myself go for various reasons (new job, new house, new life, too much stress, etc.) and didn't run or swim for 6 months. As a result I gained a lot of weight (~10kg) and can now barely run a 10k. Plus, my favorite clothes don't fit anymore. 
I needed a boost and this challenge is just what I need to give me a head start ! Wish me luck !!

Main quest : 
- Be able to run a marathon by june 2016

- Fit into my pretty clothes again

Goals for this challenge (smart quests)

- exercise at least 5 times per week and be able to run 15k at the end of the challenge 

- do 6 salutations to the sun each morning to start the day

- clean up my diet : STOP eating between meals !!! ( 3 meals + 2 healthy snacks is what I'm aiming for), STOP eating so much cheese (3 times a week is more than enough), eat a real breakfast every day and not just a coffee 

Life quest : 

Write the best essay ever for my phd's registration (due in september)

Motivation

I want to run a marathon on every continent !!! And also learn to love my body as it is and for what it is capable to do. 

Rewards

- being able to run 15k = a new swimsuit and new running pants

- getting under 60kg = 1 afternoon to the spa and an haircut

- being able to run 20k = new running shoes 

- getting to 55kg = I replace every piece of clothing that don't fit and attempt to have the perfect capsule wardrobe

Good luck everyone ! 

Bonne chance Marie! (I learned French in high school and remember a teeny tiny bit.)

I am in awe of anyone who has ever completed a marathon :)

Merci beaucoup ! :D And good luck to you too ! I'm very excited to start the challenge today !!

Finishing a marathon was one of the best experience in my life and I really want to do it again !

I am in awe of anyone who has ever completed a marathon :)

Same here.

@Cymteria if you can do it once, you can definitely do it again. I live in Brooklyn, so if you do the NYC Marathon again I'll personally come cheer you on (sign and everything).  :victorious: Good luck on the challenge!

• Like 1

cepopaladin

LVL 1 | STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 0

Battle Log: cepopaladin's journey to badassery

Challenge: cepopaladin heeds the call of badassery progress

Main Quest: Vanquish GMB Elements: Week: 4 Day: 2

71.5%
71.5%

Side Quest: Defeat a 10k Run + Intervals: 2 / 12 sessions

16.2%
16.2%

Side Quest: Defeat a Single Pull-Up: Assisted (w/ chair)

25%
25%

if you can do it once, you can definitely do it again. I live in Brooklyn, so if you do the NYC Marathon again I'll personally come cheer you on (sign and everything).  :victorious: Good luck on the challenge!

Thank you !!! I loved Brooklyn when I was there !! And I definitively plan to run the NY marathon again in a few years ! (I want to run one in Europe and one in Asia first !)

• Like 1

Daily report : Day 1

I did pretty well today ! I did my 6 salutations to the sun and easily ran 6.5k this morning before going to buy groceries with my trusted bike, so I think I exercised okay. 
The problem came with my 3rd smart quest (cleaning up my diet), especially the "no eating between meals" thing. I didn't think I did it that much but now that I'm more conscious of what I eat, I realized that every time I'm in the kitchen for a reason or another, I pop something into my mouth. It can be some olive, a cherry, some nuts, a piece of cheese or raw greens like a radish. And I caught myself doing this 5 times in only one day. This has to stop but it's not going to be an easy task. 

I also took a photo in front of the mirror and weighed myself (it had been a while) to have a concrete number and not an approximative idea. 

64,5Kg. This is at least 8kg I need to shed (or turn back into muscles). We'll see how it goes in 6 weeks. 

Daily report  : Day 2

Good news ! I was less tempted with cheese today ! It may be because it was a busy day at work, but still !
I forgot to do my salutations to the sun this morning before going to swim (1,5k in 45mn, not bad !) so I did them when I got home in the evening but it felt weird.

I set up an app to track my calories intake on my phone and keep a food journal. According to this I did well today, so let's hope I manage to keep eating like this on the long run.  

• Like 1

64,5Kg. This is at least 8kg I need to shed (or turn back into muscles). We'll see how it goes in 6 weeks.

May I ask how tall you are? As long as you only snack on vegetables, I wouldn't worry too much. I tracked my calory intake with MFP and realised it was much worse, when I ate two servings of dinner, because I got hungry between meals. But that could be my preferrence. Some meal plans tell you to eat five small meals. Others want you to eat two big ones. In the end we have to find something that works for us.

Getting aware of what you eat ca nbe hard. But it's the first step to making mindfull changes. Good luck with your journey. I weighed 68 kg and tried to get back to 58. I'm only 156 cm/5'1, that's why I don't want to weigh more again. At least not until I buil some muscle. Like you already mentioned. I hope you have a good challenge. We'll watch your step.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

May I ask how tall you are? As long as you only snack on vegetables, I wouldn't worry too much. I tracked my calory intake with MFP and realised it was much worse, when I ate two servings of dinner, because I got hungry between meals. But that could be my preferrence. Some meal plans tell you to eat five small meals. Others want you to eat two big ones. In the end we have to find something that works for us.

I'm 162 cm, so I'm not really overweight so to speak, but I was 82 at my heaviest and I don't want to gain all that weight back. My body-fat percentage is 31.5% and this also something that I want to work on. I'd like to pass under the 30% to begin with. I can't just stop the snacks because like you I tend to bgo for seconds if I don't have something at 11am and 3pm. So, I'm trying to find healthy snacks ideas to keep me full. Luckily I work in a library, we have tons of cooking books !

Daily report : Day 3

exercise : running (6k), biking (50mn), yoga (6 salutations to the sun). I'm good on that front !

cheese : 0 (it has been 3 days !!)
eating between meals : 1 healthy snack (carrots, humus, cornbread) 

The app I set up is very useful to track what I eat. I know now that I eat too much glucides and lipides and not enough proteins ! I'm going to work on that !! (not easy to keep up on  the proteins front as I'm a vegetarian. Maybe protein shakes ?)

Daily reports : Days 4, 5 and 6 ! (I was busy and didn't take the time to log in)

These three days were a success for all, but one thing. 

I exercised thursday (swimming 1,5k) and saturday (running 5k) and rested on friday, took an healthy breakfast every day except yesterday where I had an healthy delicious brunch and did my daily salutations to the sun religiously. So, where did you fail ? Well. The cheese thing. My roomate cooked yesterday and there was cheese in it and I hadn't in me to tell her that I was already past my quota. It's not the end of the world but this challenge makes me really aware of my addiction and over consumption of this food.

I also decided to set up a reward for when I get under 60kg : an afternoon to the spa and an haircut ! :)
If I do well, it's going to be for november or december. Go me !

Daily reports : Day 7 and Day 8

sport : I run 5k yesterday and 7,5k today ! It was an horrible run. Mainly because it was so hot outside and I don't do well with heat. But I did it anyway, so I'm proud of myself

salutations to the sun : done ! The stretching is doing worlds of good ! I don't know why I stopped doing it !

clean up the diet : I'm still good on this front ! I'm not dieting but I'm definitively more aware of what I eat and when I eat it. My fitness app helps me keeping tracks of all the calories I ingest and as I'm keeping up with the running, swimming and cycling I didn't exceed the amount of calories recommended per day even once. 

It has already been one week !! Wow ! I'm gonna weight myself tomorrow to keep track. 

I don't know if I'm going to be able to do daily reports for the 5 remaining weeks, but I'll try  !

Weekly reports : Week 2 ! 

I won't even pretend to have tied to do a daily report. I'm way too lazy about that sort of things I guess. 

Anyway ! I did well this week too. I even ran a 10k today !! Yay !! It had been a while ! I still want to be able to run 15k by the end of the challenge though ! Exercising, doing some yoga and not eating between meals are easy enough but I'm still struggling with the "eat less cheese" thing. I have the habit to put some in everything I eat and I have to remind myself constantly that yes, I'm way past my "cheese allowance". This may seem ridiculous but I think it's telling a lot about my diet and how difficult it's for me to change it. 

I'm still eating less than 2000 calories a day despite that though. 

I'm not really losing weight (300g since the start of the challenge) but I try to not let that bother me too much. I eat well (better than before anyway) and I exercise plenty (6 times a week + biking to and from work everyday). I must be turning my fat into muscle. I took a picture of myself at the start of the challenge and I plan to take another next week and one more at the end to see if I can see changes. 

Even if not, at least I'm not gaining weight and that's a start considering I had been doing that consistently for 6 months. 

I hope you're all doing great too ! Keep strong !

Sounds like you are doing well :D

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Weekly Report : Week 3

This was a bit of a cheat week. I was so tired at the beginning of the week that I didn't exercise for 2 days. This would not have been so bad if I hadn't been away for a 3 days week-end without any means to really exercise or even do some proper yoga. Well, I could have if I had the proper motivation, but I didn't. :/ I also ate out a lot and this is never a good thing. 

I did run 3 times and I walked a lot so I didn't do too bad I think but this was def not my best week so far. I am a little afraid to take a "mid-challenge" picture now but I will do it tomorrow morning anyway. I can't let a bad week sap all my motivation !! 

I will definitively be doing more this week !! 

The middle of the challenge seems to be hard for a lot of people. It's only important to get back on track afterwards and not give up.

I hope your fourth week went fine. You seemed to be really motivated ;)

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!