Mando Baxter, putting extra Nerd into Nerd Fitness!

Mando Baxter

Hi, I'm Joe.  I can't wait to have goals!

Goal #1

Eat fewer carbs.  This will be tricky since I don't have a quantitative handle on the amount of carbs I eat now (yes, I know, I should track them...consider it done), but in general I want to cut it down since my triglycerides are through the roof and I'm told they are driven by carbs.

Goal #2

Run three times a week.  I normally get out for two 5Ks, so this will involve more road work, most likely over the weekend.

Goal #3

Lift weights twice a week.  By lift weights I mean visit the gym at work and hit the strength machines as much as possible in my lunch hour, or if I'm home, lift free weights and do core strength exercises, especially for the lower back, which tends to give me serious trouble if I ignore it.

Wow, I feel like I accomplished something already!

• Like 3

Mando Baxter, Level 6 Ranger!

12 : 3 : 4 : 5 : Current Challenge

I second the steak recommendation! Steak and eggs for brekkie, steak sandwich for lunch, and steak and veggies for dinner. ^_^

woman%2Beating%2Blarge%2Bsteak.jpg

STEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Good thing there weren't homemade spaghetti noodles involved.  That's when the Italian Grandmas would start appearing in your dreams yelling "Mangia, Mangia!"

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

So far so good.  I managed to get through five days with few carbs.  I surprised myself, going so far as to order Chinese without the rice.  Did the same with Japanese tonight.  I got teriyaki chicken with vegetables on the side.  It included cooked cabbage squares that were remarkably similar to pasta.  I'm considering a cabbage-and-tomatoes dish, or maybe with just olive oil and garlic...

Plan for this weekend is to hit the grocery store, buy a ton of veggies n' meat (ham?), chop it all up, and freeze it in portions to go into morning egg scrambles.  I have about 5 minutes to prepare and eat breakfast most mornings, so a little prep will keep me honest.

Also planning to get in a third run of the week tomorrow at some point, which will mean I met my challenge for the week.  Woohoo!

tumblr_ms9r00PI6t1r8j2zyo4_250.gif

• Like 3

Hey how'd the second week go?

You might notice that someone has added a tag to your post.  This is not to box you into a corner but rather because your goals or lifestyle have links to the guild you've been tagged and we'd like to bring you to the attention of one of their guild ambassadors. These ambassadors will be able to offer you advice, encouragement and support on your goals.  You don't even have to wait around for them to come introduce themselves to you, you are more than welcome to pop into the Scouts' board and introduce yourself to the guildies there. I am also around to answer any questions that you might have so do not hesitate to PM me.

Good Luck with your challenge

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks for the encouragement!  It's been a good go so far, 2.5 weeks into this.  I've only had carbs for breakfast one day, when the fridge reserves ran low and I had no choice but to go to a small bowl of bran cereal.  But I ordinarily would have burned through two loaves of bread by now and lord knows how many pancakes and waffles (eating what the kids don't eat -- ugh).  But with the help of my loving wife I'm eating more sensibly.  I'm going to make an appointment to get my cholesterol retested.  SuzyQLou is helping me track my dinner carb intake but I haven't been tracking numbers for other meals (though have been avoiding carbs).  So that's something to improve on, at least until I get a handle on what the numbers really are.

Weightlifting is going fine, though SuzyQLou has been stealing my weights for her own challenges.  :)  We may need to invest in more gear.

Running is going super well.  I've met my goal of 3 5K runs/week so far.  Last weekend was the 5K with Suzy and it went great.  I don't normally run for speed, but as it turns out my speed is up (5K in 26:40 this last time out) and I feel great throughout, enough to make me want to push myself into more of a challenge.  I may go for more distance on my weekend run.  There's a nice 10K route nearby that I hit last year - maybe it's time to revisit it.

Thanks for the scouts tag.  I'll check it out!

• Like 1

Went 10K today for the first time in a year and it felt very good.  The wind was there but the legs were tired, especially since I was trying to stay in second gear through the second half.  Keeping this up over the next few weekends should build my stamina for even longer distances.  Also spent the day digging two stumps out of the yard, so it was a good workout day for sure.

• Like 1

I don't know if it helps my nerd cred any, but I designed and 3-D printed my own NINE-sided die.  Check it out here!

http://www.shapeways.com/product/98LSA4254/nine-sided-die-d9?optionId=37730813

(Note however that I haven't played an RPG in a very, very long time.  I just like polyhedrons and 3-D modeling.)

-MB

• Like 1

Dig_Dug_1.png

Fantastic run, and I'm diggin' all your digging!

You're challenge is looking good!  Nice and nerdy, too.  I keep waiting for someone else to understand your crazy name.  It could happen, you know.  There might be someone else out there who is chuckling right now.  Hmmmm.  Mando Baxter.  Ha ha ha ha ha!

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

So far so good on the challenge, though I have to say that I've been feeling hungry lately laying off the carbs, especially at work where I can't just EAT MOAR, OMNOMNOM like I can at home.  This is taking planning and time, which is tricky.

I lost a couple pounds since I started, but nothing drastic.  Losing weight isn't one of my goals but it would be good for me to lose a few, if you strictly believe in BMI, which I really don't.  I'm building muscle working out, so maybe that offsets the weight loss somewhat.  I'm about to go out for my 3rd run of the week, a longer one.

Speaking of running, I have to hit up the scouts for ideas on how to carry water when running.  I tried holding onto a 20 oz bottle last week and it was terrible.  A CamelBak seems like overkill; I'm not trying to cross the Sahara here.  Water belts look dorky, but might be the most practical solution.  Plus, this is Nerd Fitness, so no one is going to judge my dorkiness, right?

Going to try this recipe today for a low carb, gluten-free salad.  Yum!

AdNua7k.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Joe, Emerald Dragonfly sent me your way and I hear you about the water. Personally, it all depends on temp/humidity, distance, effort, etc. I've been drinking ~3 liters a day and don't feel I need water on shorter runs, but on longer, unsupported runs, I'll wear my smaller Camelback. I prefer to keep my hands empty and the pack fits really well, which is key. The bottles with the handstraps are nice because you don't have to grip it 100% to keep it with you. I've used the smaller bottle belts, but feel that I like having more fluids available so I don't have to ration. Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Like 1

Follow me on Strava or Garmin Connect

"My doctor told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already."
--Milton Berle

Thanks for the water tips, folks.  Gunslinger_25, I think I'll go with a Camelbak despite my initial misgivings.  I really don't like holding on to stuff when I run either.  I'll look for a model that's small and easy to clean.

The running is going well.  I only missed one so far, this past Saturday, since I was knocked out due to a cold.  I did run with the cold Thursday but decided not to when it moved into my chest.  (Feeling much better now.)

Workouts:  Missed my second workout last week due to the cold, otherwise, going strong.

Carbs:  Going to definitely quantify this week.  My standard breakfast has 32g, 24g of which is due to the glass of milk.  I really don't want to stop drinking milk just because of carbs because I need the calcium, especially as a runner.  Yeah, I could take calcium supplements but who wants another pill?  Lunches will be more work, but my dear SuzyQLou helps me quantify our dinners.  :)

Most importantly, I just scheduled my annual physical.  Of course, it's a month from now so I'll have to keep things going until then, not that I foresee a problem.  Can't wait to see what my cholesterol is these days.

Have a good week, all!

-MB

• Like 1

Hey Mando, well done so far! It will be really interesting to see where your cholesterol is at.

If you're looking to cut the carbs without cutting the dairy and calcium, you could try real fermented dairy-- the fermentation process eats a lot of the carbs. Mineral water can help too, if it's one of the ones with enough mineral content to matter. I drink a lot of Gerolsteiner and Pellegrino. Both have enough calcium and magnesium to add up if they're a regular drink.

• Like 1

My first six week challenge!

"I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this." -Paul Simon

"There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen

Find me on Instagram, where I mostly post photos of outdoor adventures, baking projects, and books.

Finally, some hard numbers for my carb intake!  When in doubt, quantify.

Monday: 138g

Tuesday: 136g

Wednesday: 163g

Thursday (so far):  68g

Today's run was slower than usual.  The cold or allergies or whatever are lingering.  The 90 degree humidity may also be a factor.

• Like 1

Yep, it's good to count!  At least while you're getting a handle on things.  And it was a crazy swamp out there for running.  But you made it!

9066672287_b16e16fc88_b.jpg

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger