Uncaging the shieldmaiden: Eowyn rides to battle

Eowyn14

Good evening fellow recruits,

A little about me:  49 yo F, 5'6" (167cm), 156 pounds (71kg), attorney, mother of a teenager, owned by two cats and a very confused dog.  I joined the Rebellion a couple weeks ago to jumpstart my weight loss and fitness efforts.  My main goals over the next few months are to lose 10 (ok, 11) pounds before my birthday (December) and to try to PR at a half-marathon on October 31

My quests toward these goals, over the next 6 weeks, are:

1.  Track my eating and drinking (all beverages, caloric and not, alcoholic and not) daily.  

I have the MyFitnessPal app on my phone.  I will use MFP to track.  I note that I do far better with my eating when I'm tracking; when I don't track is when I get sloppy with my eating.

A = track every day (42 days)

B = track at least 32 days

C = track at least 21 days

D = track at least 11 days

F = track <11 days

2.  Run four times a week, with one run being hill work or speedwork and one run being my long run.

A = 24 total runs, including 6 hill/speedwork and 6 long run

B = at least 18 total runs; at least 5 hill/speedwork and at least 5 long run

C = at least 12 total runs; at least 3 hill/speedwork and at least 3 long run

D = at least 6 total runs; at least 2 hill/speedwork and at least 2 long run

F = <6 total runs OR <2 hill/speedwork OR <2 long run

3.  Get into a strength training schedule on my non-running days.  

My quest is to strength train three times weekly.  I am starting with the Beginner Bodyweight workout.  After three weeks, I will re-evaluate to see whether it is time to move up to a more challenging strength workout.

A = 18 strength training workouts

B = at least 14 

C = at least 9

D = at least 5

F = <5

My life quest for these six weeks is to engage in a morning meditation daily.  

A = every day (42 days)

B = at least 32 days

C = at least 21 days

D = at least 11 days

F = <11 days

Motivation:  I feel better physically and emotionally when I work out regularly and don't overeat.  My moods are better when I run regularly.  My joints feel better when I strength train regularly.  I want to be strong and healthy as I turn 50 and beyond.

• Like 4

Level 1, Scout

My Challenge Thread.  I'm Chronologically Blessed!

Anything unattempted remains impossible.

First miniquest:

Here are some questions to put your goals to the test:

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  Weight:  yes, and yes.  PR'ing:  A bit of a stretch, but I need that challenge.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?  My 3 quests all build toward my main quest.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?  Weight: yes.  PR'ing:  Again, a bit of a stretch, but not out of the realm of possibility.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?  Yes.  MFP for weight and tracking food; my workout calendar for runs and strength training, and local running club website for my time in my goal half mara.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?  I already set ABDCF grades for each goal.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?  Illness/injury shouldn't affect my tracking quest and shouldn't have too much overall effect on my weight goal, unless we are talking something severe enough to put me in the hospital!  If an injury or illness derails my running, I will re-evaluate what I can do to stay fit if the injury/illness is fairly minor.  If an injury makes a particular strength exercise not doable, I'll modify or substitute.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?  As it happens, one of my weekend long runs will take place during an out of town weekend trip.  I will either do the run before leaving, or set aside time and space to make the run happen.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?  The only conflict is that I will need to make sure that I am eating enough to fuel my running, especially as my runs get longer.  However, during this 6 week challenge my long runs won't get terribly long.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?  Yes.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?  Multiple habits, with my life quest (morning meditation) as well as my weight and running quests.

Level 1, Scout

Nice SMART goals. Meditation is one of my goals, too. It is something that, done consistently, makes a huge difference in my quality of life. I'll be following along here to read about your progress.

If you're interested in joining an accountabilibuddy group, several of us wise ones have a group called Chronologically Blessed in the Pub. We like to encourage each other and share advice about how we overcome age-related training challenges. Feel free to come check us out.

• Like 1

Level 4 Slayer

STR 9 | DEX 7 | STA 6 | CON 9 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Battle log

Mantra for 2015: I am here

"Riskless is hardly worth your effort." Seth Godin

Nice goals!

How are you planning to do your meditation? An app, mindfulness, journalling or something else?

Level 1 Grey Elf Adventurer    STR 1|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4.5|CHA 2.5

Current Challenge    Previous Challenges one

Eating 2 meals a day

67%
67%

walking 10,000 steps a day

45%
45%

working out daily

14%
14%

to do ticks

50%
50%

Nice goals!

How are you planning to do your meditation? An app, mindfulness, journalling or something else?

I'm using a podcast actually, "Morning Prayer from The Episcopal Church in Garrett County" (I'm Episcopalian).  I've subscribed to that podcast for awhile but had fallen off the wagon in terms of listening to it.

• Like 1

Level 1, Scout

Week 1 report:

Quest 1, tracking:  7/7 although sometimes I didn't want to track everything  :nevreness: (but I did)

Quest 2, running:  4/4.  Long run 1/1.  Speedwork 1/1.

Quest 3, strength training:  3/3.

Life quest, morning meditation:  7/7.

Extra credit campus tour miniquest, week 1:  Done.

Level 1, Scout

Just found your challenge.  Fantastic challenge and you are just killing it!  Definitely stop by the Scouts Tavern and introduce yourself.  Hope your week 2 has been just as great.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Looks like a fantastic week 1!  How's your week 2 going? 

So far so good.  I do need to log the wine I drank during the GOP debate last night  :nevreness: but my week has been going well.  3 runs and 1 strength session thus far (strength on deck for later today), 5 morning meditations done, tracking all days except for logging that wine and this morning's breakfast - off to do just that now!

• Like 1

Level 1, Scout

So far so good.  I do need to log the wine I drank during the GOP debate last night  :nevreness: but my week has been going well.  3 runs and 1 strength session thus far (strength on deck for later today), 5 morning meditations done, tracking all days except for logging that wine and this morning's breakfast - off to do just that now!

Yeah there were a few people stumbling into my office with hangovers because of that one...  ;)  Have a great weekend!

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

Week 2 report:

Quest 1, tracking:  7/7 although sometimes I didn't want to track everything   :nevreness: (but I did)  (14/14 challenge to date)

Quest 2, running:  4/4.  Long run 1/1.  Speedwork 1/1.  (8/8 total runs, 2/2 long run, 2/2 speedwork challenge to date)

Quest 3, strength training:  3/3.  (6/6 challenge to date)

Life quest, morning meditation:  7/7  (14/14 challenge to date)

Extra credit campus tour miniquest, week 2:  Done.

• Like 1

Level 1, Scout

Week 3 miniquest:

1. Pinpoint the quest in your journey that is giving you the most uphill (or one that you're struggling to achieve)

My motivation to work out is starting to flag, especially for strength workouts.

2. Search through NF (forums or articles) to find one that is able to offer some assistance

Alba gu bràth!

3. Apply it to your challenge (no collecting underpants here).

On my next strength training day, I'll allow myself to whine a little... but only after I dress out and am in my workout space.  If I'm still feeling unmotivated, I'll give myself permission to do just one round... and maybe just a little more after I finish that round...

• Like 2

Level 1, Scout

*sigh* Last week was not a good week.  I came down  with some sinusy crud, then adding insult to injury I tweaked a muscle in my upper back.  So workouts didn't happen as planned.  I still tracked food and stayed on track with morning meditations.  Sooo....

Week 3 report:

Quest 1:  Tracking:  7/7 (21/21 total)

Quest 2:  Running:  1/4 (9/12 total)

Quest 3:  Strength training:  0/3 (6/9 total)

Life quest:  7/7 (21/21 total)

Oh well, back in the saddle.  Did strength training yesterday.

• Like 2

Level 1, Scout

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well!  Being good to your body (and your back!) is important.  Great job staying on track with your food intake and meditations!! It's so easy to let everything fall apart when one thing does.  Best of luck with week 4, glad to see you're sticking with it!

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12