• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manarelle

Manarelle aims higher

The last mini-challenge really made me step up my game. I've historically been really bad at determining when "ow" means "you can do it, push!" and when it means "stop now or real damage will happen," and as a result, have been very conservative in my gains. But something about seeing numbers on a spreadsheet lure my team toward victory flipped that switch over the last challenge, and I found I really could do more than I thought I could (despite terrific DOMS the next few days). 

I've been at the bodyweight workout for eight months now, and while on a day-to-day basis, it doesn't feel like I"m accomplishing much, it does apparently add up. Today (July 25), I met up with my family for my mother's birthday party, and (through a series of events) ended up doing squats while holding my little sister (135 lbs). They were maybe not the deepest squats ever, but I was still rather impressed at myself. So apparently, progress is happening. 

72620612712700490_ki1jolv0_c.jpg?w=490&h

Unfortunately, school, gardening, and work are conspiring to take up as much of my time as possible, to the point where the garden is getting somewhat weedy. Rather than letting my workouts suffer, I am going to try changing them up, and breaking the bodyweight workout into two days. I'm going to try to follow this routine for the next six weeks:

Day 1: arms/core

Day 2: legs/core

Day 3: HIIT or dance

Day 4: arms/core

Day 5: legs/core

(2 days of rest/gardening)

I was able to get the arms/core workout done last night with a full warmup and cooldown in 20 minutes, and I'm going to try to get the legs done similarly tonight. I recognize that the cardio/dance will take longer, but one night a week is doable. And hopefully the next class, which starts in 4 weeks, will be less chaotic. 

In other news, I am super excited because I finally got handstand gloves to help with my somewhat inflexible wrists! Even after doing stretches and GtGs every hour at work for six weeks, it's still a little painful to put all my weight on them for wall planks. So the handstand practice and progress continues through this challenge as well!

TL;DR: I don't want to lose my workouts to a (hopefully temporarily) busy schedule, so I'm breaking them down, adding cardio, and going for 5 days a week. Handstand practice continues, with outside assistance.

Goal 1: Hit 5 days of workout every week, not including garden.

Score: A - 6 weeks. B - 5 weeks, C - 4 weeks. D - 3 weeks. Fail - less than 3 weeks.

Reward: under consideration

Goal 2: Two-minute wall plank

Score: A - 2 minutes. B - 1  to 2 minutes. C - less than 1 minute.

Reward: being able to do it!

Considering I currently do a 40-second floor plank, the wall plank is a super ambitious goal, but I'm aiming for it, nonetheless. I suspect I am capable of more than I think!

quote2-300x300.jpg

yay for new challenge! I'd also like to know more about gardening. I have a touch it one time a year and forget it attitude towards gardening, which is why I only have poorly planted overgrown beds of perennials and no food.

• Like 1

If you're not sure of what to do, or don't like to spend time weeding, I strongly suggest getting already-established plants from somewhere reliable (check for local co-ops, or Home Depot), and then put straw down around them to keep weeds and bugs down. Tomatoes are good, hardy, set-and-forget starter plants, as are squashes or gourds. Peas and potatoes are good set-and-forget plants, and are pretty easy to start from seed. Feel free to pm me questions- I've had decent success with gardens, and am very lazy about weeding. :)

First week: got all 5 days in! Made some changes to each day's routine, because I'm not smart and didn't think about working the same muscles twice in a row, but I did it!

The plank is.... in progress. This is my third challenge with trying to work my wrists stronger, and they're just resisting it as much as they can. :(

• Like 1

Second week: 

This was not the best of weeks, as it was finals for my online grad classes. I did get two days of gardening and three days of working out in, but homework and finals definitely are the number one priority. Regardless, I feel like I'm still making progress, and that's what matters!

tumblr_inline_mzxir4Rmas1s4v4p9.jpg

Third week:

I only made 4 days this week, as I spent a great deal of time catching up on neglected gardening tasks. 

I made 1 minute! This is a new milestone for me, and I did it without any wrist pain, so hopefully the tides are turning! Take that, mixed metaphors!

• Like 1

This year is somewhat of a hodge-podge, as I was given a bunch of seeds that I wasn't expecting, and ended up planting them instead of what I planned. I have the usual staples: pepper, tomato, corn, carrots, lettuce, herbs, potatoes, peas, and beans. Fruits for me (I'm not big on veggies): blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, and grapes. And then the "might as well try it!" patch: pumpkins, eggplant, turnips, parsnips, brussels sprouts, okra, radishes, and broccoli. 

Some things did well, some things.... not so well. I lost all my cucumbers and honeydew twice to the mosaic virus, which is now going after the cantaloupe. The broccoli looks nice, but some sections burst into flower before others were fully developed, so we couldn't eat them. The potatoes got eaten to nothing, but are trying to come back, and my poor raspberries got root rot and need to come out altogether. :( Next year will be much better planned, and have fewer things, but more of them. The garden is definitely my calm/meditation while working place. 

How is your doing?

Fourth week:

Done, plus gardening. 

I don't think I'm going to make this one, but I did figure out why not. Every time I up the weights I use on my arms, my time on the planks goes down (I know, I know, I'm not fast). So I'm not making the 2-minute goal, but I'm ok with that because I know I'm still progressing. My wrists don't hurt and overall the planks are stronger. They just don't last longer. 

Yes and no. This week has been very tiring, so I did the cardio a second time instead of legs one day. Five days - yes. Follow the schedule - not quite.Still, I say made it.

This is on hold, see above post about week 4. 

Still going strongly into week 6 (already?!).

Week 6! I'm not going to lie, this was not a good week. I made two workouts, but then health issues hit and I couldn't finish strong. I was able to make a 45-second wall plank, without pain in my wrists, so that is still (slowly) improving, and will probably feature in the next challenge (and the next, and the next....). 

While I did like the shorter workouts, I don't think I can commit to doing five days a week with evening classes starting back up. This challenge did give me the opportunity to try new moves in both arms and legs though, so I'll be modifying the BBWW for future workouts. Cheers!