Birding/Birdwatching

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you call it birding or birdwatching?

• birding
    • birdwatching
    • both
    • neither
    • who cares?

When I spend time outside, I enjoy birding/birdwatching. I like to see how many species I can identify and keep a life list. Plus, IMHO, birds are simply amazing! Does anyone else participate in this avian pastime?

Let's help each other learn the names of species, techniques for attracting birds to our yards, and learning great places to go to see new birds!

Juvenile Cooper's Hawk

DSCN2852_zpsecti5yfe.jpg

• Like 1

I used to do it a lot when I lived in Florida! There were always lots of egrets and herons and ducks by my parents' house, along with smaller things that enjoyed eating the lizards and snakes that showed up in the yard. We had to scare a blue heron off our lawn once so that my dad could mow it. And at my university there was actually a population of sandhill cranes! They're a protected species so you're not allowed to touch them or "bother" them, but I would follow them around. I accidentally got in between a chick and its parent and I thought I was going to die.  Cooper's hawks would hang out by a building at my campus that was, coincidentally, called Cooper Hall.

Now that I live in NYC I don't do it as much because I don't really know the birds as well and a lot of the smaller ones look the same to me. But I do like keeping a lookout for my little sparrow buddies and the ocassional falcon or hawk.

• Like 1

芸術ã¯çˆ†ç™ºã !

Goals:

Actually stick to this whole foods diet

Drop ~5% body fat before surgery

How fun. I don't keep an official list, but when I go outside, I love to just watch and listen for birds as I go along. I am getting better at identifying them.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I used to do it a lot when I lived in Florida! There were always lots of egrets and herons and ducks by my parents' house, along with smaller things that enjoyed eating the lizards and snakes that showed up in the yard. We had to scare a blue heron off our lawn once so that my dad could mow it. And at my university there was actually a population of sandhill cranes! They're a protected species so you're not allowed to touch them or "bother" them, but I would follow them around. I accidentally got in between a chick and its parent and I thought I was going to die.  Cooper's hawks would hang out by a building at my campus that was, coincidentally, called Cooper Hall.

Now that I live in NYC I don't do it as much because I don't really know the birds as well and a lot of the smaller ones look the same to me. But I do like keeping a lookout for my little sparrow buddies and the ocassional falcon or hawk.

I wouldn't have wanted to get stuck between a chick an adult crane either. Glad you're ok! We have a population that winters here in AZ as well, but I haven't been to see them yet. 

Apprently the sandhill cranes in Florida don't care, because the parent didn't even look at me funny. I was very glad, because they're almost as tall as I am.

I found some of the pics I took the first time I found the cranes too!

QAYzoo8.jpg

1Ri4dv1.jpg

fV5tp8R.jpg

芸術ã¯çˆ†ç™ºã !

Goals:

Actually stick to this whole foods diet

Drop ~5% body fat before surgery