• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

idealistinfire

Idealistinfire Begins Again

Backstory: I started with NF over 3 years ago, got really fit then lost it all, being nearly back to where I started way back then.  I had terrible burnout, started recovery and had a relapse recently.  Been fighting some nasty depression/stress/etc; listened to some internal voices that have been telling me it's not worth starting again because I'll just backslide. - again. BUT, I saw the challenge start date and thought to myself "you are always happier working on a good, athletic challenge.  So what if you backslide again - won't that happier time be worth it anyway?". And so, here I am, beginning again.  I've reset some of my stats to reflect my current status - at least I didn't lose knowledge and gained experience, so that's something, right?

This assassin in training wants to be a dancer, and wants to try out non-professional pole dancing first because it's fun, hard work and so entertaining to see people's reaction when I tell them I've taken a pole dancing class.  But I need the following before I can take the classes again:

1) Upper body strength - pole dancers are crazy strong, so at a minimum, I need to complete 5 pull-ups before I can take the class.

How? Monday through Saturday, complete my range-of-motion exercises for my shoulder, 3x/wee complete lower body strength exercises until tired.

+5 STR

2) Stamina - I need the stamina to get through an hour-long class

How? Move for an hour every day.  This can include above exercises, walking, cleaning, biking, etc...

+5 CON

3) Confidence - newbie pole dancers need to have confidence while trying new things. 

How? Complete one NF Academy quest daily, or work on a multi-day quest.  3x per week, I may sub working on resume or 30-60-90 personal growth plan instead.

+5 CHA

• Like 4

I am so glad you jumped back in! Your challenge looks lovely. My respawns are better each time because I learn new things that do and don't work. So, revel in your wisdom and courage!

• Like 1

Completed my first workout in, gawd, 6 months? A year? I don't even remember. Workout looked like this:

Warm up routine on NF.A

Round 1: 10 wall pushups, 15 squats, 10 inverted rows (5lbs), 20 lunges, 15sec plank

Round 2: 2 wall pushups, 15 squats, 10 inverted rows (5lbs), 8 lunges, 15sec plank

Round 3: n/a

Stacie's Cool down routine on NF.A

Overall - it felt damn good to be pushing myself again. I did not do the 3rd round due to shoulder giving the "this will be terrible if you keep going" signals and my knee getting too shaky to complete moves safely. Disappointing, but it is the first workout in a long time, so I guess perfection is too much to ask for. Feeling good, which is refreshing. 

Given the status of my shoulder, I am counting this workout as shoulder exercises for the day.

The workout was also a quest, so yay!

• Like 2

Backstory: I started with NF over 3 years ago, got really fit then lost it all, being nearly back to where I started way back then.  I had terrible burnout, started recovery and had a relapse recently.  Been fighting some nasty depression/stress/etc; listened to some internal voices that have been telling me it's not worth starting again because I'll just backslide. - again. BUT, I saw the challenge start date and thought to myself "you are always happier working on a good, athletic challenge.  So what if you backslide again - won't that happier time be worth it anyway?". And so, here I am, beginning again.  I've reset some of my stats to reflect my current status - at least I didn't lose knowledge and gained experience, so that's something, right?

YESS, so worth it!!! Great attitude :)

This assassin in training wants to be a dancer, and wants to try out non-professional pole dancing first because it's fun, hard work and so entertaining to see people's reaction when I tell them I've taken a pole dancing class. 

YAYYY, do it!!!

But I need the following before I can take the classes again:

1) Upper body strength - pole dancers are crazy strong, so at a minimum, I need to complete 5 pull-ups before I can take the class.

That's a MYTH!! When I started two years ago I had no strength whatsoever, I gained it by learning.

Now I have gained a lot thanks to pole dance training, but can still do only 1 pull up and that not from a dead hang either. Although I should probably test that again as our mini challenge last turn got me to a PR of 6 chin ups, woot woot

Do train strength and of course it will help you, but there is no need to wait taking the classes :) It's like saying you will only take ballet classes once you can do a full pirouette ;)

• Like 2

Finished off yesterday with a 3+ mile walk at a local park - totally wore out my trusty sidekick, Bree-the-Dog, and between the workout and walk, left me very sore through the buttocks and knees. Thought my shoulders were totally fine until I did my range of motion exercises - turns out they are tired, but in a good way. So yay :)

Today my schedule threw me off, but I did the range of motion exercises, and walked 30+ minutes, and added 5-10 minutes of pacing to get some extra movement in. One of the quests is to complete the BBW routine for 2 weeks, so I'm counting that as progress, but only because I was able to check off 5+ quests yesterday.

Also tried a new video game, Witcher 3, to help build confidence. Way back when and long story short, a counselor recommended I play new video games to help me overcome perfectionist tendencies and boost confidence. Haven't listened much - too embarrassed. I haven't played any of the modern games besides Legos, so getting use to the character's movements is a challenge in and of itself. Still, I have almost a week of fiddling til my guy gets home from his gaming convention, so I don't have to worry about his "helpful" comments while I'm learning. Bonus side effect - I was definitely headed towards crabby land and the gaming was helpful in stopping the circular thinking, so double yay!

• Like 3

Good job on all the workouts and the gaming :). Also, 5+ quests in one day, that sounds like a lot.

I agree that even if you don't need that much strength for your pole-dancing class, it can't hurt to become stronger. I've never tried it myself, but I can imagine that it's easier if your arms are strong ;).

Keep going :).

Awesome stuff! It's been really amazing watching you grow from your burnout.  I started following your during one of your burnout recovery challenges and you getting here and not giving up is INSPIRING.  Your happiness attitude towards working out and shutting down the brain demons is really a great way to look at things as well.

• Like 4

Aw, thanks Raxie :D it's always good to be reminded of progress made, and you've definitely helped me get back on track :)

and thanks Waanie! 5 quests would be a lot, but a couple could be doubled up (ie, complete recruit workout and complete a workout at home both said you could count the one activity twice)

As for today's progress - so much DOMS!!! I only made it through the warm up, one circuit and the cool down before my muscles where all "nope". Must needs drink more water and get better sleep! It was 90 degrees inside my house when I got back from work, so I'm going to see what quests can be done elsewhere. More updates to come - thanks for the encouragement! 

• Like 3

Hi Idealistinfire!

Best of luck with your goals this challenge!

I too was fit and strong not so long ago, but a sprained ankle, old shoulder injury and relapse of my anxiety disorder put paid to that!

I am hoping to start circus school this challenge, but not sure if my shoulder/ankle are up to it, so I will go softly....

Pilates has really helped me to rehabilitate my shoulder and ankle, so hopefully I won't re-injure anything!

Hope all goes well with your pole-dancing prep!

Cheers,

Sarah

• Like 1

Those shoulder injuries really do a number, don't they?

Challenge update, week 1,Thursday :

Did not get my movement in,, which is sad since I did a workout. Only hit about 45 minutes.

Did complete my range of motion exercises

Did complete a quest - took three tries, but got my 30 second plank in :) considering my shoulder issue, this make me doubly happy.

Edited by idealistinfire
  • Like 2

Week 1, Friday update

+ hour of activity, check!

+ shoulder mobility exercises, check!

+Rest day for workouts (hip joints still slightly sore!)

+quest completed - 2 minutes of meditation

I foresee yet more stress since I was informed my landlord wants to put the house on the market in 1-2 weeks. It's kind of okay since we want to move anyway, but we have been looking for a few months and nothing is affordable. So meditation practice seemed like the way to go :D I'm looking forward to my workout tomorrow since I can certainly use it'd stress-relieving qualities!

• Like 1

Saturday, week 1

+ I hour of activity - check! Mostly walking at the park and around my house

+ confidence builder activity - dyed my hair red-brown! Been wanting to do this for a long, long time but was too afraid it would turn out badly. Happily, it did not, even though I missed a section or two.

+ 1/3 of BW Brigade workout - I am glad I got this done because given the circumstances, I normally would have skipped it all together. So I am celebrating having done part of it rather than none St all.

• Like 1

Maybe a little late, but I totally agreewith Raxie! You have grown so much over the past year, you're a big source for inspiration :). Your progress also gives me hope that one day I can get rid of burn-out symptoms ;).

Your goals seem to go well this week :). Hopefully you'll find a house soon!

• Like 1

Today was total rest day, so what did I do? I walked my trusty sidekick at the park, picked out a new veggie (Swiss chard) at the farmers market, ate roasted red pepper "nachos", cleaned a bit, and made a homemade quiche with the Swiss chard, local cheese and some chicken meatball pieces, which was shared with mom. We then went back to the dog park with her totally adorable puppy. And just when my depression was starting to kick in, I turned a quick pedicure to help with cracking helps into a full home-spa evening during which I watched some of the NF interviews on the NF.A resource page to help pass time (I like how baths feel, but I get sooo boorrreed). I even drank iced herbal tea instead of blueberry beer since I had already had a milkshake, and the tea was perfect for the evening :DIt's one of the first, true rest days I've had in a long while where I didn't self-sabotage at the end of the day once the depression started creeping in. It helps me realize how much progress I've made this month, let alone the last year or so. So yeah, I'd say there is hope for burnout symptoms going away 100% eventually :)

Now I'm just waiting for my toe nails to dry - did you know a pedicure is good for flexibility work? I got a little less tight trying to get my feet back into shape. Maybe i'll make that into a new routine :tongue:

I've spent some time reviewing my progress this week and the last month, and I just need to add - it's been a crazy amount of work staying positive as much as I have been. I told a friend that I am exhausted fighting the demons in my head each night, and she was all "what demons? You seem fine to me". Which I guess is progress too. I believe I must be redeveloping my "Aw, fuck it" superpower, which helps me do healthy things when I really don't want to. For whatever reason, when I'm really crabby/depressed/etc, sometimes running "f-it, you'll be crabby/exhausted either way so go be healthy" through my head is sometimes just strong enough motivation to get me moving. Weird, but whatever works, right?

• Like 4

Week 2, Monday

+ workout completed!!! Did all three circuits of BW, Level 1B, although there were definite modifications (pushups became wall pushups, and only half the BW lunges due to wonk hip joint). I also, finally, printed out the tracking spreadsheets, cool down pages a s wrote up warm up routine and stuck them all on the wall where I can easily reference. This should save me about 10 minutes each workout, so yay!

+ Shoulder mobility exercises - supplemented my workout, and did some at-home massaging to try to get the knots out. They're pretty painful, but working out seemed to help a little.

+spent most of the day pitter-patter cleaning my house and playing Frisbee with my dog, so really only sat for a few hours total today. My house is clean and I'm pleasantly tired, so yay!

Overall, a good day and ended better since my guy got home from his gaming convention in IN.  Also saw another job to apply to which would give me both a better challenge and better pay in the area I'm looking into, which is encouraging too. Now all I need are some housing prospects, and life would be grand :P

• Like 3

Yay! I'm so glad things are looking up for you :).

How do you remove knots from muscles? I have some moderate success with rolling on a tennis ball, but a few hours later my knots seem to have returned ;).

Oh, well, the knots always return. But it's nice to always get some relief from them. I use the circular hand motion, with varying success.

Week 2, Tuesday

- not enough activity... like, maybe 20 minutes. How am I so still all day? ugh.

+ shoulder mobility completed. May have been 10pm, but still completed. Tendons are sore and tired from yesterday's workout. But worried about tomorrow's workout

+ 1-2 hour's work on resume/cover letter work. Will submit the ap tomorrow when I have a scanner

- missed my veggies for the day, will need to restart that quest.

Today was rough due to crappy sleep (up every hour or so, woke tired, sore and cold. Boo) and emails from work that just make my blood boil. I cannot wait til I have new work; this current one brings the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" fully to life. Happy note, I have a 4-5 day "weekend" starting either Thursday or Friday, and anniversary weekend is coming up. Happiness indeed.

• Like 3

Wednesday

- did not do my workout - my shoulder tendons hurt so oddly, I didn't want to risk it

+ mobility exercises completed. Those hurt too, but in a good way

+ hour of movement completed; took going to the dog park before work, but it still helped :)

+ restarted veggie quest

Trying to decide if I should reschedule my workout for tomorrow or skip it altogether and restart Friday. My guy suggested doing lower body and harder mobility exercises, assuming my shoulders can handle it. Seems like a decent idea

• Like 2