Polaris, Book 2: Water

Polaris

Since during the last challenge I was channeling earthbender stubbornness and determination, I think this one calls for waterbending adaptability. Water is the element of change, and dog knows I need to make some changes before uni starts again.

Goal #1: Light as Vapor

I've managed to get from 67kg to 61.8kg in three months, but I still need to lose a few more so I can bulk a bit without going over the limit of my TKD weight class. The goal is to get to 59.0 kg. It should be doable, but I've been stuck at my current weight for over a week now, so I need to figure out how to get it moving again.

Goal #2: Hard as Ice

Aka, Conquer the Damn Bench Press. That lift has been such an issue for me, and on top of that, I pulled my pectoral and serratus anterior benching a couple of weeks ago, so last time I was at the gym, I had to use <10kg baby dumbbells. I'm planning to restart with the bar and work my way up to 3x5x25kg, which I know is not a huge increment but I just want to see some progress, even a little.

Goal #3: Still Waters

I'm a bad sleeper. I had unexplainable insomnia that lasted for months and still rears its ugly head occasionally. I'm also such a nightowl I can't fall asleep if I try it before midnight, and/or I can't stay asleep. And sometimes I just stay up playing games/writing/drawing/doing nothing productive on the internet. But all that needs to stop because I cannot function without adequate amount of sleep anymore (I could when I was younger, guess I've officially grown old...). So I aim to get at least 7.5 hours of sleep every night, which should also time my sleep cycles so that I'd wake up a bit less groggy.

Life Goal #4: Save the Fish, Keep the Ocean Clean

The ocean, in this case, being my room and the rest of the apartment. It's honestly such a mess I couldn't even have my friends over. Some of it is because of my lack of energy/time/executive dysfunction, and partially because I'm just not good at keeping my sh*t organized. (One of the reasons I suspect I have ADHD, actually.) So during this challenge, I will 1) clean my room (and the rest of my mess around the apartment) 2) keep it tidy enough that I could have friends over after a quick 5-minute cleanup.

I have a feeling that last one is gonna kill me way before any of the actual goals :D

• Like 1

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

I really like your challenge theme, I personally have a tendency to go a little overboard with my theme-but that is how I stay into it. I look forward to watching your progress!

• Like 1

Challenges:

R: Winter is Here

20|19|18|17|16|15|14|13|R|12|11|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” -John Galt

brutalbears, thank you. I saw people with neat, themed threads last challenge and wanted to do that too. And the elements give me themes for the next two challenges too. (No idea what I'll do with air, though... maybe dabble into druid territory?)

Update: This morning I suddenly weighed 60.6kg. I have no idea how that sudden drop happened, or why my weight was stuck before. But it happens like this every time; the number on the scale hovers around the same few hundred grams until one day - BAM, a kilo is gone! Where'd it go?! The same place where the gnomes hide my ponytail holders and left socks?

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

Fuu, I forgot to thank you guys for the encouragement. But anyway, thanks :D I laugh at that Sokka gif every time.

Week 1 update

#1: Nothing's happening. I got below 61kg once, and now I've been stuck above it. I'm getting so angry and frustrated, and my old eating disorder gets more fuel every day my weight isn't going down. I'm so fed up with cutting by now, I wanna get to my goal weight so I can eat at maintenance for a while. This is screwing with my head, I had a binge (again!) on Friday night. Note to self: until at weight goal, have zero snackables at home. I had pizza yesterday for a cheat meal in hopes of shaking up my metabolism, if it isn't helping, I'll probably do a carb refeed. I'm considering shady supplements at this point, I'm that desperate.

3906202c0e8e9d8d64af7c8bf007d012.jpg

#2: Last log shows 2x5x20kg and 1x5x22.5kg. I may have been able to push it a bit more, but I don't wanna overdo it this time, especially since my serratus anterior still becomes a bit sore. I've noticed I have this problem that I settle myself into the correct form before the lift, but as soon as I lift the bar off the hinges, I kind of forget the rest of my body. I need Adderal to work on my focus. But! Even though OHP isn't officially part of my challenge goals, I did 3x3x the 20kg bar last time! Which I'm celebrating because a few weeks ago, I couldn't even lift the bar.

#3: I slept at least 7.5 hours every day except the one day I had a hairdresser appointment before work. I kept waking up hourly throughout the early morning, I often do that when I'm subconsciously worried I won't wake up when I'm supposed to. (In the theme of my challenge, change, I got a long mohawk/deathhawk. Which, I now realize, is pretty much Sokka's hairstyle. Water tribe :victorious: ) Let's see if I manage as well this week when I have earlier shifts.

Life: I didn't manage as much cleaning on the weekend as I was hoping for, but I did some decluttering and now I can see some floorspace again :D And I joined the adulting/cleaning PVP, which should give me proper kick in the butt to continue the process, since I'll be accountable to other people.

I've been told by people wiser than me that I should take measurements more often, so from now on, I'll try to do that weekly on Sunday morning.

Measurements 02/08/2015

Height: 164 cm

Weight: 61.6 kg | (insert a lot of cursing)

Chest: 94 cm     | +-0

Waist: 72.5 cm   | -0.5 (really?)

Hips: 98 cm       | -2

Bicep: 27 cm     | +-0

Thigh: 58 cm     | +-0

I know it's not linear, but usually my weight loss goes along 1-2 weeks stalling -> 1-1.5kg drop. This time, though, I've been stuck at 61.x for at least two weeks, probably closer to three. And I can't understand why, because I've been tracking 90% of days, and the numbers combined with the weight un-loss just isn't adding up. (So much for simple CICO.) I'll take any advice, tips and tricks, because I'm getting so frustrated my old frenemy ED is whispering to me stuff like "Hey, what if you puked up half your meals, just in case?" I'm not following his advice, instead I beat him with a stick  :boxing:  but I'd like for him to shut up and go back to his cage.

I'll go run some hill sprints, HIIT should give a kick to the metabolism.

I caved and bought green tea capsules in hopes of getting some fat melting. I know supplements are not magic, but my diet and exercise are on point, so I don't know what else to do. And green tea seems like one of the most scientifically proven fat burners that also has few bad side effects. I took the first one today afternoon after a small snack and went to take a nap (that stretched to two hours because I'm the worst at waking up), and my stomach was sore and making noise even when I woke up o_O It wasn't too painful, but a little alarming, and I hope it goes away once my body gets used to the capsules. Because I do not wanna go to work feeling like that.

The appointment for the tattoo that I promised myself as a reward for the last challenge is tomorrow.  :nevreness: I'm a little scared, but mostly excited. Mostly.

I know it's not linear, but usually my weight loss goes along 1-2 weeks stalling -> 1-1.5kg drop. This time, though, I've been stuck at 61.x for at least two weeks, probably closer to three. And I can't understand why, because I've been tracking 90% of days, and the numbers combined with the weight un-loss just isn't adding up. (So much for simple CICO.) I'll take any advice, tips and tricks, because I'm getting so frustrated my old frenemy ED is whispering to me stuff like "Hey, what if you puked up half your meals, just in case?" I'm not following his advice, instead I beat him with a stick :boxing: but I'd like for him to shut up and go back to his cage.

I'll go run some hill sprints, HIIT should give a kick to the metabolism.

I would have a month of no losses then 2kg in a few days. Keep calm, weight loss is coming.

Do you eat more on the 10% of days you don't log?

My weight is up 2.2kg in less than a week. It will come off just as quickly. Sadly, that's the joy of being a woman!

Also, it's almost impossible to accurately gauge calories out other than by tracking calories in as accurately as possible and weight lost. Even fitness monitors aren't perfect.

I would have a month of no losses then 2kg in a few days. Keep calm, weight loss is coming.

Do you eat more on the 10% of days you don't log?

My weight is up 2.2kg in less than a week. It will come off just as quickly. Sadly, that's the joy of being a woman!

Also, it's almost impossible to accurately gauge calories out other than by tracking calories in as accurately as possible and weight lost. Even fitness monitors aren't perfect.

I hope you're right. I just wish it happened sooner rather than later, because I'm fed up with dieting, and my lifts are suffering because of the constant deficit. I bought a PWO today to help with that, because I'm always so tired at the gym, especially after work.

It's not even 10% of days really. I eat more on some of those days because they're cheat meal days, but I doubt I'm going over maintenance. I go over maintenance... maybe once in two or three weeks. Like, all in all, I'm clearly on a deficit when you take the weekly average.

I got my tattoo! It's awesome, and didn't hurt more than when a dentist is scraping tartar with that horrible machine. Actually, it was more bearable because it wasn't happening inside my mouth.

tumblr_nsoapefmMZ1s8kfmko1_540.jpg

I wanted to write about today's workout and my bench press progress but I just can't. I'm a horrible person. I fail so much, constantly, with people, I don't know what's wrong with me. I try to be good, I try to be a better person than I was the day before and I just... I can't. It makes me think all the bad things that happen to me happen because it's what I deserve.

Week 3 update:

#1: The scale showed 60.6 kg this morning, and I'm just praying please please please let it keep going down. I've started taking green tea capsules and did my first calorie-heavy day of calorie/carb cycling on Friday. I have no scientific evidence whether they had an effect or not, but I'm going to keep doing them. I'm eager to reach my target weight, but I'm also scared of starting to eat maintenance when I get there, because there's so much conflicting information, and I'm terrified of putting the fat back on. Speaking of fat, I bought nigh-booty shorts one day in order to tell my ED "screw you, I'm hawt".

#2: 3x5x22.5kg last workout, halfway there! I'm starting to get the hang of how bench press is supposed to be done as a full-body lift because I found this really ridiculous trick: I need to tense my glutes to engage my lower body. It's a good thing no-one can read my mind when I'm benching, because I'm now reminding myself "keep your butt tight".

#3: Not so good. I had earlier shifts this week, so I either didn't fall asleep in time, underestimated how long it takes to do all pre-sleep stuff, or napped during the day and then couldn't sleep at night. I'm just plain not a morning person, a schedule that forces me to go to sleep before midnight just doesn't work for me.

Other observations:

That pre-workout, wow. I've never taken a PWO besides a caffeine tablet and some chocolate, and on Friday I took Star Nutrition's Intensity, one scoop pre-workout and half a scoop during. Notably, by 'taking' I mean, I ate it with a spoon and then frantically gulped water because that stuff is sour. It's easier (and more fun) than mixing it with water like you're supposed to. Anyway, at first I didn't notice a difference to my usual caffeine boost, but towards the end of my workout I realized how energetic I still was. Like the heavy lifts hadn't tired me out at all. And I still had some energy left after I was finished, so I found an empty tatami and practiced my newest TKD form and some side kicks. Still wasn't tired when I got home, and it was so weird because I'm used to being tired all the time, every day, regardless of what I do. But the most amazing thing was the focus it gave me. Like, I could concentrate on what I was doing, my mind didn't wander all over the place and get me distracted... It was so wonderful that I wanted to cry because I've never felt like that. Is that how people with a normal brain get to feel all the time? I have got to talk my psychiatrist into letting me try some ADHD medication because now that I know I could be so focused, I want that back.

Speaking of the gym, had my first ever harassment at the gym on Friday.  :mad-new: Not the sexual kind, thank dog, because there would've been corpses. But there was this middle-aged dude who saw fit to ask whether it's safe to work out with a fresh tattoo (I had it wrapped up), like, wtf, how the fuck was that any of his business? He also tried to mansplain some other stuff to me, but I had earbuds on and saw easier to pretend I didn't hear him. Exactly the kind of dude that wouldn't have dreamed of saying any of that stuff to another man, but I'm a woman so of course I must not know what I'm doing, right? Fucking idiot. I miss my uni gym and the civilized representatives of the male gender there, only a week left and I can return there.

And speaking of tattoos, the ink bleeds during the first few days. Like, a lot. I kind of freaked out after I took the saran wrap off on the first morning, I was not prepared at all for how much the ink could spread.

Measurements 09/08/2015

Weight: 60.6 kg | -1.0 (woohoo, weight, keep going!)

Chest: 94 cm     | +-0

Waist: 72 cm   | -0.5

Hips: 98 cm       | +-0

Bicep: 27 cm     | +-0

Thigh: 57.5 cm     | -0.5

So yeah. I don't know where I have gotten smaller, but it must have happened somewhere, right?

Hi! Thought i'd drop by. 

Reading through it all, couple of thoughts; 

- green tea capsules... placebo effect is still an effect? ;) 

- love the tattoo!!

- as long as you try to be a better person than the day before, i'm sure you're making progress even if you can't see it right now, it's babysteps with things like that. Let's believe we can do it. You did send that email the other day!!

- that PWO sounds lovely, but scary?

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

- green tea capsules... placebo effect is still an effect? ;)

Yeah, I don't care if it's placebo or not as long as there's an effect :D Especially since at this point I'd be ready to do weird witch rituals naked under moonlight if it helped my get to my goal already.

- that PWO sounds lovely, but scary?

I know right? I don't even know if it's normal or not because I have nothing to compare to, but it doesn't even contain anything unusual as far as PWOs go. I wish I could start a study where I'd give that PWO to people with ADHD and people with normal brains and see if there's a difference between their experiences. (Note: I don't have an official diagnosis yet because my shrink didn't really believe me the last time, but next time I see her, I'm gonna slam a bunch of symptom lists in front of her with everything I experience underlined.)

- love the tattoo!!

Thank you, I love it too :peaceful:

Week 3 update (for real this time. I started panicking and then realized I'd skipped number 2 entirely.)

#1: This morning I weighed 60.2 kg. Insert a very hesitant 'yay', because that's the only time this week I've gotten below 60.6. But I've been taking green tea capsules and staying around 1000-1200 calories for the past few days, so maybe that's helped. I have now roughly divided my week to this kind of very low cal days, normal deficit days and one refeed day, because it seems like my metabolism responds better to the variance. I looked at my food logs and progress though and I gotta say, something shifty is going on there. I need to call uni healthcare and demand they retake the blood tests for hypothyroidism, because I have so many strange symptoms that it would explain. (Difficulty losing weight, constant lethargy and weariness, concentration issues... which I'm blaming on either hypothyroidism or ADHD.) Anyhow, my body dysmorphia has improved; I can now look at myself in the mirror and note that yep, I have definitely slimmed down. I mean, I'm still not satisfied with the way I look because I'm a perfectionist, but I'd be confident to strut my stuff in a bikini on the beach... if we actually got a couple of warm days here.

#2: 3x6x22.5 kg bench last workout, after the disastrous first workout of the week where I decided to up the weight to 25 for my second set. Managed three reps, couldn't get the bar back up, cue the ten dudes around me asking if I need help. *facepalm* Thank dog for safety bars. I'm a little worried if I'll reach my goal in time, but it's still possible. I remember to recruit my whole body for the lift almost every rep now, though, so that's progress.

#3: I... can't even remember? Like honestly I have no recollection of how I slept this week. I think it wasn't enough, but I can't be sure. I need to start writing this down.

Life Goal: I kicked ass this weekend and filled all my weekly PVP slots by decluttering this mess. I still have stuff scattered across the floor, but I'll finish up tomorrow and then I can vacuum. I discovered I have a lot of space left in my wardrobe closet once I folded everything neatly, organized different clothes to their own piles and took out everything that needs to be tossed/donated/sold. I have a ridiculous amount of shoes, though. Like, half of my remaining floor clutter is shoes. And I don't even have that many shoes I use, I need to sell or otherwise get rid off about half of them. I wish I had a fitness bracelet, because I'm curious of how many calories I burned cleaning up that mess.

No measurements this week because they're practically identical to last week's numbers. I do think my butt has become flatter, but I'm told my glutes should grow pretty well and rectify that once I can go off this cut. Curiously, my hip measurement hasn't got any smaller, but there is a bone (the big thigh bone?) right where I'm measuring, so I can't see how that could get a lot smaller. I have naturally wide hips, like, even if I were just a skeleton. I think I would have the highly coveted thigh gap if I lost enough weight. (Which, btw, is entirely dependent on bone structure. It's only achievable if you have wide enough hips.)

Good job on the adulting!

Really good the body dysmorphia is improving. Maybe you're lethargic because you're constantly low in calories? After a certain point it just becomes impossibly hard to lose weight, and it sounds like you're at a pretty low body fat %? 

Good job on the adulting!

Really good the body dysmorphia is improving. Maybe you're lethargic because you're constantly low in calories? After a certain point it just becomes impossibly hard to lose weight, and it sounds like you're at a pretty low body fat %? 

Nah, I've been lethargic and low on energy ever since I can remember, regardless of diet, exercise, sleep, vitamin supplements or anything. Doctors used to blame it on depression, but after I got it under control, my energy level still didn't improve. They took blood tests over a year ago and I was told everything's fine, but I don't believe it.

My BF% is not that low, it's only around 25%. (My weight tracking app says I'm at 27%, but it only knows my height and weight, and by visual comparison I'd say 25% is closer to the truth.)

Oh my dog, I weighed 59.9 kg this morning!!! I can't remember the last time my weight started with a five... early high school, almost ten years ago, maybe? I still don't know what made it start dropping again, but I don't care, I'm so ecstatic about this.

80QhlBqHx1DMs.gif

I can't see where I've lost the seven kilos from, though. I mean, I can tell I've slimmed down a bit, but I imagine a seven-kilo-difference would be more drastic. I'm still not thin, I wouldn't even describe myself as lean (someone else might), and my friends keep assuring me I didn't look fat when I weighed 67 so... I don't know. Maybe I just can't see it.

Only 900 grams to go, and then I can eat ALL THE THINGS. Or at least, find my maintenance and then start my first bulk evah.

I am afraid, or rather, nervous because me and my ED have such issues with the number on the scale going up, and I doubt they'll magically vanish even when it's supposed to happen. But I'm also super excited because I can finally build some muscle and become and look stronger. I know I'm approaching a wall in all my big lifts, I can't progress much further because my current muscle mass just can't handle it. And because I will get to eat so much more. Protein pancakes! Carrot bread! The possibilities are endless! *insert a Homer Simpson drool*

I was 59.5kg on Wednesday. So close. Now I'm scared that the very likely consumption of pancakes tomorrow will ruin my progress.

Hi!

Um. I will have to look up what ED is because the first thing that came to mind is something I guarantee is not an issue you can have.

Oh! Eating Disorder?

Enjoy the pancakes and tell us about it! I totally believe a day off does not kill you or destroy your progress.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I was under the impression that ED is a fairly common abbreviation for eating disorder. I have no idea what was the thing that came to your mind - the only other thing I could think of was the ED robot from Robocop. Which I would much rather have, though. And now I'm laughing because I'm imagining an ED robot staring at the scale beside me all worried :D

I'm afraid the pancakes may have f'd up something, because I weighed about 2 kilos more this morning, even though I ate at my normal deficit yesterday. It makes no sense because it's not like I ate 7000 calories over maintenance on Saturday. I don't understand and I'm freaking out. I was already planning to reach my goal by the end of this week so I could start pre-bulk maintenance.

Week 4 update

#1: I weighed 59.5 at minimum and 61.something max, so??? Hopefully this is just some freaky water retention thing and I'll get back below 60 soon, and to 59.0 by Sunday.

#2: Last log shows 3x7x22.5 and 1x8x20. I'm a bit skeptical of getting to 3x5x25 in two weeks, but I'll try. It's crazy how big a jump the 2.5kg difference is.

#3: I slept over 7.5 hours every night except one, and I did notice the difference. I felt like crap the next morning when I had slept only a little over 5 hours. I need to control myself and not dick around the internet/Photoshop/Word all night when uni starts, because I cannot go to classes feeling like that.

Life goal: At least here I've made great progress. I went through all the stuff covering my floor, threw away the trash, re-organized the closet, and bought boxes that fit under the bed so I have more storage space. I still need to fill the boxes though. And I made a headboard for my bed, which looks a lot fancier than it actually is. Now I just need to declutter and organize my desk and shelves and I'm all done. The biggest challenge is to keep the room this clean, because I have the worst habit of dropping everything wherever instead of putting it where it's actually supposed to go.

Measurements 23/8/2015:

Weight: 59.5-61.5 ???

Chest: 94 cm    | -

Waist: 71.5 cm  | -0.5

Hips: 97.5 cm    | -0.5

Bicep: 27 cm     | -

Thigh: 57.5 cm  | -

Must be a nice feeling to have gotten so much stuff done :) 

Can I recommend the Happy Scale app for you? It gives you a rolling average weight, so you don't have to freak out quite as much about the number on the scale. I'm sure the 2kg extra had nothing to do with pancakes but were simply another one of those flukes of nature. 

I think it's really excellent you're planning on bulking despite struggling with your ED.

Unfortunately Happy Scale is only available for Apple devices, but I found a 'Droid app that seems pretty similar. I think I'll try migrating to that one, I'm using another tracker right now but it's a bit unclear. And to be completely honest, I only log on days when I weigh less than before - it pains me so much to see that line go up. Which logging every day and seeing the average trend might actually alleviate, so I need to kick myself into doing that.

This morning's magic number was 60.8. Still waaaay higher than it should be, but at least it's moving back down. Hopefully I'll get back to my pre-pancake-fest <60 weight soon, because I'm told any water retention/glycogen stuff should settle down in 3-4 days.

The odd thing was, the skin on my face had a massive breakout on Monday morning. It hasn't been that bad in a while, I had to wear foundation to work because I couldn't bear to show up with all those red acne spots. Then this morning, it was at least 50% better. All this seems like something I ate really f'd up with my body... maybe it was all the sugar? Also, note to self: You still can't handle rye bread. Don't eat it. Really. You'll still suffer over two days later.