SpiralGalaxy's Firefly Challenge

OK! Progress on recent challenges has been excellent, time to build on what's gone before.

200.gif

1) Eat more veggies

200.gif

Remember how much Kaylee valued (for orgasmic levels of "valued") fresh food? I don't live on a spaceship (yet), so I can have all the fresh stuff I want. I need to get more veggies in my lunches and dinners. Goal: everyday have a meal with some solid vegetables in it. I'm doing great on fruit for breakfast, now I need to step up on the other meals. A = 6/week; B = 5/week; C = 4/week; D = 3/week.

Sta + 1; Wis + 1

Bonus challenge! Get to a local Farmer's market and explore their offerings. Cha +1

Extra bonus! Make a big veggie-ful meal on weekends to have as leftovers for lunch or dinners. Con +1

2) Exercise changes

The Firefly crew can kick ass equally on ship or planetside. I haven't been getting outdoors enough, and I haven't been getting enough cardio. So! Two-parter:

a: At work: do a round of this exercise series each day. I found this during the last mini-challenge, and it's perfect for what I want. Potential pitfall--in a few weeks I'll be starting a lab test, and I'm not sure what my cubicle time will look like. But every day that it's possible, I want to do these.

200.gif

b:  At home: each day that it's possible, get out for a walk, minimum 15 minutes. We've got some lovely walking paths near our house, and I want to explore more. I didn't manage it today because it was raining, but I was ready to do it! (I went downstairs and did a sledgehammer routine instead.)

200.gif

To be graded on a 90/80/70% scale.

Str +2, Dex +2

Bonus: Start jogging! After doing some walking, start upping the difficulty with some interval jogging: 1 min walk/1 min run, that sort of thing. I have disliked running before, so it will be interesting to try it again. +1 Sta.

3) Meditation

200.gif

Book derives a lot of strength and character from his time in prayer. For me that's mindfulness meditation. Goal: *every day* do at least 5 min of meditation. Do 30 min when that's practical. A = 6/week, B = 5/week, etc. I'm adding on a goal to write down three things I'm grateful for every day. I need to get my head in a more positive mindset, and I know that can be a big help.

Wis +1, Cha +1

Bonus challenge! Experiment with candle meditation. Wis +1

4) Maintenance

200.gif

Kaylee has to keep the engines in good shape under non-ideal circumstances and within considerable budget constraints. I need to maintain the habits from other challenges that have paid off. I realized that last challenge I dropped some habits because they weren't "part of the challenge." So here's where I change that. This is a long list, but it's already stuff I know how to do.

-Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

-Go to bed no later than 10pm

-Do not purchase alcohol to drink at home

-Take all vitamins

-Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

-Floss

-Track calories with MyFitnessPal

-Smoothies for breakfast

A = no more than 10 lapses/week; B = 15 lapses; C = 20 lapses, etc.

Con +2, Wis +1

• Like 3

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Making an easy-to-reference checklist for myself:

Challenge goals:

[ ] One meal with solid vegetables

[ ] A 15 min walk at home

[ ] Cubicle exercise routine

[ ] Meditation

[ ] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[ ] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[ ] Go to bed no later than 10pm

[ ] Do not purchase alcohol to drink at home

[ ] Take all vitamins

[ ] Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

[ ] Floss

[ ] Track calories with MyFitnessPal

[ ] Smoothies for breakfast

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Get to a local Farmer's market and explore their offerings.

[ ] Make a big veggie-ful meal on weekends to have as leftovers for lunch or dinners.

[ ] Try interval jogging

[ ] Try candle meditation

• Like 1

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Also: edited the top post to include a decent selection of Firefly gifs, as is only right and proper.

200.gif

• Like 2

In for firefly! So good to see you again! And I love the gifs you chose. I may have to steal your veggie goal for next time, I have real problems with that, but the pizza I'm eating for lunch has spinach on it, so it's a vegetable right? (Ignore the cheese in the crust, yummmm)

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

I'm planning on making a yummy pasta casserole that includes spinach this weekend (great for freezing) so Yes, that totally counts! ;-)

Week 1, Day 1:

Challenge goals:

[x] One meal with solid vegetables

[~] A 15 min walk at home [was raining so did sledgehammer routine instead]

[x] Cubicle exercise routine [Day 4 Darebee]

[x] Meditation [30 min]

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work.

[x] Go to bed no later than 10pm

[x] Do not purchase alcohol to drink at home

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

[x] Floss

[x] Track calories with MyFitnessPal

[x] Smoothies for breakfast

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Make a big veggie-ful meal on weekends to have as leftovers for lunch or dinners.

[ ] Try interval jogging

Since the celery in my tuna salad sandwich doesn't count as a solid vegetable meal, I added a full-blown salad to my chicken and couscous dinner. Picked up a tub of salad mix, red lettuce & baby spinach, on the way home and used that as a base. I'm also using it for lunch today. Still went over on calories, thanks to some remaining wine from the weekend, but generally speaking totally nailed it today.

Cal: 1831

Fat: 53g

Protein: 62g

Sugar: 66g

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 2

Challenge goals:

[x] A 15 min walk at home

[x] Cubicle exercise routine (Darebee #5)

[x] Meditation

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work.

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Another good day! It's nice to see how things can work when everything goes right. Took the dog for a 20 minute walk early in the morning (about 5:15--still very dark here) and decided that next time I'd need a headlamp (which luckily I already have). Lunch was half a tuna sandwich and a nice big salad, then I made chicken orzo soup for dinner (see the Galley crew thread), and also froze two servings for later. I got back to working on tricep dips at work. And tracking my calories helped me know when I'd hit my limit, so I remembered not to have a snack before bed.

Cal: 1378

Fat: 69g

Protein: 61g

Sugar: 42g

• Like 1

OK, yesterday was my "night off" (I get one night a week while my husband takes the kids so I can get some writing done). I totally forgot about my vegetable challenge when ordering at a restaurant, and I also stayed up later than usual to finish submitting a book review. I brought an apple to have with my lunch at work, but that does not count as a "vegetable." So that's two errors for the week so far. On the other hand, the headlamp worked great for 5am walking, and taking the dog with me keeps me motivated so far. Looking good there!

Challenge goals:

[ ] One meal with solid vegetables

[x] Cubicle exercise routine

[x] Meditation

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work.

[ ] Go to bed no later than 10pm

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 4

Another good day! I added some sautéed lemon & garlic green beans as a side dish with hot dogs last night--a much better option than the frozen corn I'd been planning on originally. I'm still enjoying the morning walks and meditation. My husband is sick, so we'll see if I get sick as well--however with getting back to taking all my vitamins, I'm hoping that my immune system can fight it off.

I'm also going to add another part to my meditation goal (edited above), which is writing down three things I'm grateful for every day. I need to get my head in a more positive place, and I know that can help. It will show up on the daily checklist tomorrow.

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work.

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 1, Day 5

Three errors yesterday (five for the week so far)--forgot to floss in the morning, bought some wine for the weekend, and forgot about some of my vitamins at work. Whoops! But thanks to this checklist, I remembered to go to bed on time and to have a simple lunch from my work cafeteria--sandwich and salad. The gratitude writing worked well. We'll see how this plan survives its first weekend! 

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[ ] Take all vitamins

[ ] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 6

Things change a lot on the weekend, and I made allowances for that. However, I didn't drop some things that I usually do. So: made a big rice & veggie salad to have for lunches this week, as well as a great Chinese chicken salad (see Galley team thread) for dinner. Bought another bottle of wine (6 errors for the week) but made sure to jot down some gratitude in my journal. Snacked even less than I do at work, and spent a lot of time outdoors (with the mosquito bites to prove it). All good. 

Challenge goals:

[~] A 15 min walk at home

[~] Cubicle exercise routine

[~] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[~] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[~] Take all vitamins

[~] Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[x] Make a big veggie-ful meal on weekends to have as leftovers for lunch or dinners.

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 1, Day 7. 

Really happy how this is going so far! Finishing up the week with only 6 "errors" out of 10 "allowable." Thinking of making my "A" goal less than 8 errors/wk average. No new recipe today; made my husband's favorite steak fajitas for dinner and my make-ahead meal for the week is a pasta casserole with spinach that's in the over as I type. Spent a good chunk of today outside with the kids exploring a nearby state park with nature trails and a playground. Feeling very good about everything and this challenge right now! 

Challenge goals:

[~] Cubicle exercise routine

[~] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[~] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[~] Take all vitamins

[~] Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[x] Make a big veggie-ful meal on weekends to have as leftovers for lunch or dinners.

[ ] Try interval jogging

• Like 1

Way to go! I love how you do daily updates, something I really need to work on. You had a great first week. I'm going to have to check out that chinese chicken salad, I'm meal planning for the week right now, and I need inspiration. Off to the galley thread!

giphy.gif

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Thanks! Things have been going almost ideally for this first part--the real challenge will be to see how things hold up in August when my husband starts really traveling again. 

Week 2, Day 1

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation (5 min at work)

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 2, Day 2

Yeep! Three errors today. When I woke up at 5am there was a thunderstorm outside--a good excuse for skipping my walk, but I should have gotten up to do other exercise instead of falling back asleep. Breakfast was quite short and I ended up supplementing with chips from the snack machines. And then when I had time in the evening, I was thinking about other things and forgot about gratitude writing.

But! I did 10 min of meditation at the beginning of my work day, when I went out to eat I had roasted Brussels sprouts with pecans and balsamic vinegar (pretty good!) and I just managed to get to bed on time. So not a complete loss by a long shot.

Challenge goals:

[ ] A 15 min walk at home

[x] Meditation

[ ] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Bring lunch to work.

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 2, Day 3

I felt like I deserved a medal for getting out of bed and going for a walk yesterday--I was feeling on-the-edge-of-sick all day and just really wanted to go back to bed. But I made it! I also tried a 10 minute candle meditation for the first time, and I really liked it. I wanted to keep going after the 10 min were up. I did a lot of stretching in my cubicle to help out the Med Bay team for the mini-challenge, but at the end of the day I was Done. I got some wine on the way home and ordered pizza. Still, not a bad day--it could have gone a lot worse. 1 more error for the week, that's 4 so far.

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

[x] Try candle meditation

Saw this and thought of you! http://www.buzzfeed.com/andyneuenschwander/22-reasons-were-still-not-over-firefly-being-canceled#.ijWKxq6WX1

Way to get out of bed in the morning, sometimes that takes all the energy I have for the day, and then you met a bonus quest, way to go!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Week 2, Days 4 - 7

Ugh, OMG, that did not go well at all. Basically, everyone was sick except me, and I was pretty obviously fighting off whatever they had. Yay for fighting it off, but boo for feeling so lousy and unfocused and overwhelmed that I let most of my challenge goals drop. Let's see, I started with 4 errors? No meditation, no gratitude writing, that's at least 4 more errors. One late night, 3 bottles of wine. One missed set of vitamins. One missed flossing. Didn't manage any calorie tracking, skipped one smoothie breakfast. So that's 19 errors for the week. Over two weeks, I'm averaging 12.5 errors per week, which is a B. This actually isn't as bad as it could be! I'm planning on starting the new week fresh and keeping up with things.

Good things about the weekend: taking the kids to the county fair and exploring there--very fun! Also made a big batch of hummus for lunches for the week, and some new veggie-ful dinners for both the challenge and as part of the Galley team.

Challenge goals:

[x x x x] One meal with solid vegetables

[x x ~ ~ ] A 15 min walk at home

[x ~ ~ ~] Cubicle exercise routine

[ ] Meditation

[ ] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x ~ ~ ~] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[x x x] Go to bed no later than 10pm

[~ ~ ~  ] Take all vitamins

[x ~ ~ ~] Bring healthy snacks to work, no vending machines

[x x x] Floss

[ ] Track calories with MyFitnessPal

[x x x] Smoothies for breakfast

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 3, Day 1

OK, back on track with a good day! Didn't get enough sleep thanks to a wiggly toddler, but still got through the day just fine. Had some of the chicken orzo soup reheated for dinner, and it was even better than when it was fresh. I almost succumbed to a temptation for chips in the afternoon, but luckily the vending machine was out of what I wanted, so I stuck with my approved snacks instead. Whew!

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 2

Another good day! I'm kicking myself for forgetting the gratitude writing, since I did write in my journal. But I nailed everything else, and that's only 1 error in 2 days. Took a nice 30 min walk with the dog in the evening and realized that the local high school has a full athletic field that lots of people use in the evening. Reheated some pasta with spinach for dinner, and continuing to enjoy home-made hummus-and-veggie wraps for lunch. Doing well so far!

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[ ] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging

Week 3, Day 3

A good day yesterday. Got up and went for a walk in the morning, mixing it with four jogging segments to complete another bonus goal! That went better than I thought it would and my dog had no problem with it, so I think I'll try it again the next time I go out. When I got back I did a candle meditation again, which I continue to enjoy. Other than that, right on track. A couple slip-ups, forgetting one kind of vitamin and hitting the vending machine for chips in the afternoon. 3 errors for the week so far. Doing good!

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[ ] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

Bonus Quests:

[x] Try interval jogging

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 4

Another good day. Going out for pizza for lunch was offset by skipping most of dinner--I tried an Eggroll in a Bowl and it really didn't appeal to me. But afterwards we walked the kids up to our town center for a mini-concert and had a great time chasing them around and listening to the music. It was a beautiful evening to get outside and everyone had fun. Two slip ups for breakfast and lunch, for a total of 5 for the week. One thing I'm concerned about it some increasing pain in my right shoulder--I need to make a doctor's appointment soon for a checkup anyway, and that's motivating me to move it up the schedule.

I'm on my own with the kids this weekend, so I may not be posting much until Monday.

Challenge goals:

[x] Meditation

[x] Gratitude writing

Maintenance goals:

[ ] Bring lunch to work. If not, stick with simple sandwiches and salads from the cafeteria

[x] Take all vitamins

[x] Floss

[ ] Smoothies for breakfast

Bonus Quests:

[ ] Try interval jogging