[Linsanity] Time to Refocus!

Linsanity

Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've been around, but now I'm back and am ready to focus on my fitness and diet goals! I've discovered over the past few months that when I don't set clear fitness goals for myself or have people hold me accountable for them, I slip up a lot! The past few months have had a lot of ups and downs consequently. I've learned my lesson though and now plan to get involved in the coming NF challenges so I can make the changes I want to happen a reality!

MAIN QUEST:

Lose 35 lb of fat and get strong

GOALS FOR THIS CHALLENGE:

1. So Long Sugar!

I eat sweets way more often than I should and need to cut down if I want to lose weight. Diet is the key to weightloss afterall!This challenge I will permit myself to have a maximum of three sweet/dessert items over the course of the challenge. So max of one every two weeks. I'm aiming to eat paleo for the rest of my meals, but if I eat pizza or other non-paleo things occasionally, it's no big deal.  :friendly_wink: I plan to get more strict with my diet in future challenges.

2. Drop Down and Give ya 20!

20 consecutive pushups this challenge. Since last summer I've steadily worked my way up from none to 12-15ish pushups now. I think 5-8 more is reasonable for a 6 week period. My minimum passing score for this challenge will be 18. I plan to do strength training workouts 3 days a week to help me meet this goal.

3. Run Forest Run!

I'm been out of running for a month due to injury, but am back to normal now. I'm pretty out of shape, but would like to get back to running a full 5K by the end of this challenge. I recently started running outside and have decided that I really enjoy it, so I'd like to do that when the weather is nice. My aim is to run twice a week - one time outside and one time on the indoor track. I'm choosing to run inside as well because the track is flat and I can more accurately measure my distance and time. [The outdoor trek is a combo of uphill and downhill]. I'm not setting a time goal on this, but am aiming for completion.

Side Quest: Stay motivated!

To do so I plan to post on at least 3 other person's boards once a week and find some motivational fitness quotes and stories to inspire me.

STARTING MEASUREMENTS:

Waist: 34.5"

Chest: 39"

Hip: 40.5"

Butt: 42"

Thigh: 24"

Calf: 16"

Biscep: 12.75"

Weight: 180 lbs

Good luck ya'll!! :victorious:

• Like 2

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Your goals look great. My first challenge focused on getting back to running (after being lazy for a long time...not injured)... You will be back to running a 5k before you know it!

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Great goals!  I tend to get slain by the sugar dragon as well, so I can sympathize.  And I really love your challenge to interact more on the boards, I find myself doing the same thing!  Best of luck!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 17.25 | DEX 12 | STA 20.75 | CON 34.75 | WIS 22 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 CURRENT: TBA

Nice SMART goals. Cookies have been my weakness for the last couple of years. I like your idea of still allowing a few things. Telling myself "No!" only ends up leading to a rebellious EAT ALL THE THINGS session. When I was doing paleo I would reward myself at the end of a successful challenge with one small 60-80% dark chocolate bar.

How do you plan to train toward more push-ups?

Good luck on your challenge!

• Like 1

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Your goals look great. My first challenge focused on getting back to running (after being lazy for a long time...not injured)... You will be back to running a 5k before you know it!

I sure hope so! Today, I was only able to run 1.5 miles sooo I've got some work to do. . . I think it's doable though!

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Nice SMART goals. Cookies have been my weakness for the last couple of years. I like your idea of still allowing a few things. Telling myself "No!" only ends up leading to a rebellious EAT ALL THE THINGS session. When I was doing paleo I would reward myself at the end of a successful challenge with one small 60-80% dark chocolate bar.

How do you plan to train toward more push-ups?

Good luck on your challenge!

I'm planning to do some free weight exercises + push-ups 3-4 times per week. Usually my free weight exercises consist of weighted squats, swings, (sometimes) deadlifts, and more squats! Cuz squats are great and burn like crazy! I also plan to do 3 sets of 15 pushups on my strength workout days. In the coming weeks I plan to up my pushup count to 3x20 and increase the weight for my squats and deadlifts so that I'll be strong enough to do 20 consecutive pushups (fingers crossed!!)

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Sooo I weighed myself yesterday and I actually weigh 180 lb which is a tad more than I had hoped. This means that my main goal is actually to lose 35 lbs not 30 lbs. My goal weight is 145 lbs so I've got me a ways to go!

Also, I ran today on the treadmill and only made it 1.5 miles sooo I've got a lot of work to do this challenge! It's definitely doable though! Strength training 3-4 days per week plus Cardio 1-2.

If I discover I'm not making the gains I need in the coming weeks, I might combine my cardio and strength training workouts into some type of HIIT workout to better commit to the two areas and also improve my strength and endurance. We'll see. . . for now I'm gonna keep them separate.

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

HOOAH! 

I mostly came in here to ask if your UN has anything to do with TLOK, but those goals look awesome too!

Race: Alive | Class: Ranger | Level: 7 | STATS: Whoops~ (Yes, that's totally a stat! I checked, I swear!... >.>)

Understand that everyone needs time. Understand that everyone deserves patience. Understand that healing, and change take countless seconds, minutes and hours before real health of body and mind can be obtained at all.

"Everything lost is meant to be found."

Becoming a part of the X-men: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | Current

Sooo I weighed myself yesterday and I actually weigh 180 lb which is a tad more than I had hoped. This means that my main goal is actually to lose 35 lbs not 30 lbs. My goal weight is 145 lbs so I've got me a ways to go!

Also, I ran today on the treadmill and only made it 1.5 miles sooo I've got a lot of work to do this challenge! It's definitely doable though! Strength training 3-4 days per week plus Cardio 1-2.

If I discover I'm not making the gains I need in the coming weeks, I might combine my cardio and strength training workouts into some type of HIIT workout to better commit to the two areas and also improve my strength and endurance. We'll see. . . for now I'm gonna keep them separate.

You can do it!  It may take a little longer but you'll get there.  Being flexible with your goals is definitely the way to go - that's why I like the 6 week challenge format, it gives you some breathing room to reevaluate and course correct.  Just be sure not to burn out if you're going from 0 exercise to 5x a week; that can be really challenging.

• Like 1

You're nearly halfway to your 5k goal already, you can totally nail it this challenge! We have the same weight loss goal of 35lbs too, except I'm a 5'2" shortie going from 145ish to 110ish, so I'll be following your challenge along. :) Sounds like you have everything planned out, it's just about putting it all into action now - good luck!

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

HOOAH! 

I mostly came in here to ask if your UN has anything to do with TLOK, but those goals look awesome too!

Nope, sorry! My UN is a nickname I got in undergrad.

Thanks and Good luck on your challenge:)

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

You can do it!  It may take a little longer but you'll get there.  Being flexible with your goals is definitely the way to go - that's why I like the 6 week challenge format, it gives you some breathing room to reevaluate and course correct.  Just be sure not to burn out if you're going from 0 exercise to 5x a week; that can be really challenging.

Flexibility is key and I totally agree! Fortunately, I have been doing strength training workouts pretty regularly - like 4-5 times a week - so I think 5x (for cardio and strength) is very doable this challenge! The distance I am able to go cardio wise, might have to be adjusted, but I'll play it by ear.

You're nearly halfway to your 5k goal already, you can totally nail it this challenge! We have the same weight loss goal of 35lbs too, except I'm a 5'2" shortie going from 145ish to 110ish, so I'll be following your challenge along. :) Sounds like you have everything planned out, it's just about putting it all into action now - good luck!

That's a good point - I am halfway there! Thanks for the encouragment! :)

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Overall, this week has been pretty good! I did 16 pushups this week so was pretty pumped about that. Also, I got 5 workouts in, checked in on 3+ NF boards, and ate paleo most of the week! Yesterday, I did use up one of my three sweets for this challenge. I went out with a friend I hadn't seen in a while for dinner and dessert. It was fun and definitely worth it! I will probably end up using my second sweet  allowance next weekend cuz I'll be visiting my family next weekend. I guess my sweet allowance will be more towards the beginning of the challenge than spread throughout it. Oh well, that's probably for the better anyway!

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Great job on the push-ups! You're so close to that goal. Next week maybe? Once you hit your max push-ups during a workout, try doing max knee push-ups right after. That should help you gain an extra one the next time. You may already do that. I don't know. :-)

Lag a'mhuilin
It's the name origin for Lagavulin, which is Ron Swanson's and my favorite scotch.
It means 'hollow by the mill,' which in my mind is a metaphor for my fitness training and education.

Great job on the push-ups! You're so close to that goal. Next week maybe? Once you hit your max push-ups during a workout, try doing max knee push-ups right after. That should help you gain an extra one the next time. You may already do that. I don't know. :-)

Right now I don't do max knee push-ups right after so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

So far this week's been off to a pretty good start. Somehow I gained superpowers and totally did 18 push-ups this week! :victorious: I'm super excited! I've never had a 2+ push-up gain two weeks in a row. It's looking like I'll probably reach this goal early so I need to think about what I want to do the last half of the challenge. I could always go for more reps, but I was thinking about trying some push-up variations? What do you guys think? I want to be able to do a plyometric push-up eventually - but I think I need to build up to that. In the meantime. . . ???

As far as my running goal goes - got to 2 miles this week! I'm actually a little bit ahead of schedule to make the 5k by the end of the challenge. I did however run  jog super slow [like under a 10 min mile pace] . . . on a flat indoor track in air conditioning. A little disappointing. I want to at least reach a 10 min mile pace (if I'm running indoors) - which was just over my pace before my injury. I know originally I said I planned to run outside, but it's just been too dang hot and humid. Hopefully, in the second half of the challenge, it will be cooler? We'll see - until then, I'll probably be running inside.

My no sugar goal is not looking so good. Gonna have to make some edits! This past Sunday I had 2 chocolate chip cookies which means I've already had 2/3 of allowed desserts this challenge. At this rate I'm definitely gonna fail this goal.

Revised Goal: Sweets are allowed on the weekends, but in moderation 

This is still progress from where I was before - as I ate sweets both during the week and on the weekends. In later challenges, I plan to continue to reduce my sugar intake.

On a more positive note, I did make these AMAZING Turkey Zucchini  Burgers with Lemon Yogurt Sauce. Paleo and DELICIOUS! I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

Congrats on the run!! You will definitely meet your 5k goal ahead of time at this rate. Inside, outside, track or treadmill who cares you ran 2 miles! As a person who runs slowly over short distances I would love to be be able to run a 10 minute mile. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Girl, you are killing it!  Congrats on the pushups and the running gains!

It's totally ok to redefine your goals, but make sure your new goal is still SMART.  How exactly do you define "in moderation" - one sweet a day on weekends?  One sweet for the whole weekend?  No more than 50g of sugar a day?  If you don't set a limit, it's harder to stay on track.

Those turkey burger look amazing, I'm going to have to try that out!

So far this week's been off to a pretty good start. Somehow I gained superpowers and totally did 18 push-ups this week! :victorious: I'm super excited! I've never had a 2+ push-up gain two weeks in a row. It's looking like I'll probably reach this goal early so I need to think about what I want to do the last half of the challenge. I could always go for more reps, but I was thinking about trying some push-up variations? What do you guys think? I want to be able to do a plyometric push-up eventually - but I think I need to build up to that. In the meantime. . . ???

This is still progress from where I was before - as I ate sweets both during the week and on the weekends. In later challenges, I plan to continue to reduce my sugar intake.

On a more positive note, I did make these AMAZING Turkey Zucchini  Burgers with Lemon Yogurt Sauce. Paleo and DELICIOUS! I highly recommend them.

How about setting a new push-up goal at like 30 for standard push-ups, then over the course of the week choose different variations for the first two workouts: wide-arm, military (bend elbows right at the side of your body), close hand or diamond (really tough), plyo, divebomber (kind of starting in down dog and going through the motions as if you're ducking under a low barbed wire fence -- this one can be good for core and shoulders too), etc. On workout 3 bring it back to standard so you can get your weekly benchmark. Working out all the different muscle groups throughout the week will probably help your standard push-ups.

Thanks -- I'm bookmarking that zucchini burger site for the great recipes! Spicy honey glazed chicken. Lemon basil chicken...mmmm

Lag a'mhuilin

Congrats on all your progress this week, your hard work is totally paying off! I've never gotten past one or two full pushups so haven't tried it, but this site might have some ideas for you for your pushup progressions.

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

Girl, you are killing it!  Congrats on the pushups and the running gains!

It's totally ok to redefine your goals, but make sure your new goal is still SMART.  How exactly do you define "in moderation" - one sweet a day on weekends?  One sweet for the whole weekend?  No more than 50g of sugar a day?  If you don't set a limit, it's harder to stay on track.

Those turkey burger look amazing, I'm going to have to try that out!

That's an excellent point. Clarity is essential when defining goals. My revised SMART goal is one sweet a day on the weekends for a total max of 2 sweets per weekend. I will aim for 1 sweet per weekend, but will permit 2. Thanks!

How about setting a new push-up goal at like 30 for standard push-ups, then over the course of the week choose different variations for the first two workouts: wide-arm, military (bend elbows right at the side of your body), close hand or diamond (really tough), plyo, divebomber (kind of starting in down dog and going through the motions as if you're ducking under a low barbed wire fence -- this one can be good for core and shoulders too), etc. On workout 3 bring it back to standard so you can get your weekly benchmark. Working out all the different muscle groups throughout the week will probably help your standard push-ups.

Thanks -- I'm bookmarking that zucchini burger site for the great recipes! Spicy honey glazed chicken. Lemon basil chicken...mmmm

I like that thought. I'll set a new pushup goal of 30 standard and practice pushup variations on two strength training workouts after I reach 20 standard. I can pretty much guarantee that I won't reach 30 this challenge, but I like that idea as a long term goal. Besides, the pushup variations require extra strength so it just makes sense to increase my standard pushup goal. Thanks for the tip!

Congrats on all your progress this week, your hard work is totally paying off! I've never gotten past one or two full pushups so haven't tried it, but this site might have some ideas for you for your pushup progressions.

Thank! I'll definitely be checking that site out!

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge

So week 3 wasn't as spectacular as the previous 2 weeks. More of a 'meh' week. . .

This week I drove home to visit my family which was super fun! Got my sister ready for college and hung out with the parents. Good week! I didn't eat quite as paleo as I had been prior, but I'm back on track now. Had two sweets this weekend - so on track with this revised goal.

Also, I didn't make any pushup gains this week which is disappointing; however, there is still plenty of time left in this challenge to reach that goal. I don't really know why this week was so tough -  the only thing I can think of is that I changed my workout time this week. At school (the first 2 weeks of the challenge) I worked out after work at 5pmish. At home (this past week) I worked out first thing in the morning before breakfast. I've read that your muscles tend to be weakest in the morning due to the sleeping just before and are strongest in the late afternoon/early evening after they've been active for a full day. So maybe I can attribute my lack of pushup gains to that nugget of science? Maybe not. lol. Maybe just had an off-week. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers that I reach 20 pushups this week!

Running - Going tomorrow outside. The plan is just to see how far I can go. Next week I'll run on the track to figure out more accurately where I am distance wise and how close I am to that 5K.

As far as that final goal goes - checkin' out other NF threads - I'm about to do that. :)

• Like 1

Ranger | LEVEL 5 | Human

CHALLENGES

Current Challenge