• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
obax

obax - stick to it

Food derails pretty much always happen thanks to company, oh well. 

Can you maybe make the stretching a bit more fun? Either giving yourself points and lvlups and such.. or while watching / listening to something? 

Or you could do locomotion exercises with a definite flexy aspect, like bear walks?

Food derails pretty much always happen thanks to company, oh well. 

Can you maybe make the stretching a bit more fun? Either giving yourself points and lvlups and such.. or while watching / listening to something? 

Or you could do locomotion exercises with a definite flexy aspect, like bear walks?

In this case, I think the problem was more the presence of the game rather than a lack of desire to stretch. I'm actually feeling relatively motivated to stretch more or less consistently, since I paid good money for FF, and I know I need it. I'm frustrated by the lack of any progress on my hamstrings, but I'm seeing progress elsewhere, so I'm just going to keep at it.

I usually stretch with the TV on, and actually, contrary to my new rules, I managed to have a pretty good stretch last night WHILE playing my game. Like most things, I just need to buckle down a bit more and I'll be good. Which is easier said than done.....

• Like 1

Monday

Supposed to be strength in the morning, hockey in the evening. Alarm went off, I woke up, then promptly fell back asleep. The only reason I wasn't late for work was that the neighbour was banging around outside my window and woke me up again.... So, only hockey in the evening. It was only ok, I was kinda hungry, tired and generally irritable, and no one was playing their positions and it was chaos on ice, which got old fast.

Stretching occurred. Food was... I honestly can't remember, but I don't think great.

Tuesday

Strength stuff after work. I fell asleep when I got home, for much longer than was good for me. I also made soup for lunches for the rest of week, which took longer than I expected. So I didn't get started 'til 10pm. I didn't have it in me to do all of it, so I just did the two most important: pushups and hip thrusts.

PU - 4(20), 3(19), 3(18) (That's a PR since I started doing real(knee))

HT - 3x10

Stretching will occur as soon as I post this. I think I'm going to cut out the one hamstring stretch that's irritating my calf muscle. I don't know what the actual issue is, but that stretch makes it worse, so... Otherwise I'm sticking to what I've been doing. I still haven't changed the stretches like you're supposed to in FF, I'm hoping to have time this weekend to go through the videos and figure out what shoulder ones I want to change to.

Food was blah, due to lack of preparation/motivation to cook anything.

Random note #1: I've been incredibly tired lately, which is sapping my energy for all things. I haven't been sleeping, mostly due to the heat (damn you, no AC!!!). It's supposed to cool down a bit tomorrow or Thursday, hopefully that'll lead to better sleeps...

Random note #2: my hair is THIS CLOSE to being able to be pulled back in a wee pony tail/bun thingy (I'm not at all skilled at making it be where it needs to be, and own a grand total of 1 hair tie, so you can tell this is new to me). I'm not sure how I feel about the hairstyle over all, but until I get a call from the police and need to be more professional-looking, I'm going for the modern day hippie/man bun look.

• Like 1

Wednesday

Run in the morn. I did my 2k hilly route, and even made the effort to find my watch, but don't have a time, since I failed to press the start button properly. It was actually not to bad for a morning run on an empty stomach, but I felt like I was going slow.

Hockey in the evening. Was much better than Monday, partly because I was in a better mood/less hungry, and partly because the people there knew the game better than the people on Monday.

Stretching to come. Food was ok but not tracked.

Thursday

Didn't stretch last night, more puppy frowns for me. I kept laying there saying 'get up and stretch' but never did...

Strengthy stuff tonight. I didn't want to, but I bribed myself with ice cream. In reality, I probably would have eaten the ice cream even if I didn't do it, but it would have tasted of disappointment instead of mint chocolatey goodness.

Went as follows:

FH - 3x10

EP - 2:00, 1:45, 1:30

SS - 3x10

PU - 5(17), 3(15), 3(15)

HT - 3x10

The 2 minute plank was oddly easy, but the other two were not. Same goes for the 5 real pushups.

Stretching to come. Food was pretty good, ice cream notwithstanding, but I only tracked breakfast.

Unrelated, I finally saw the cat ghost. I can't decide if I want to be freaked out or think it's cool...

Hehe, glad you made the ice-cream taste like minty-chocolate-goodness. 

Sorry you're feeling so tired lately.. anything to do with that time of the month? Or are we blaming the heat? Is it any better today?

Hehe, glad you made the ice-cream taste like minty-chocolate-goodness. 

Sorry you're feeling so tired lately.. anything to do with that time of the month? Or are we blaming the heat? Is it any better today?

Blaming the heat, mostly. The heatwave has finally moved on and my sleep's been a bit better. I'm hoping I'll catch up a bit on sleep this weekend. I'm also not making the best choices re: bedtime, it's rarely crazy late, but it's not exactly on time either...

Woot for the 2 minute easy plank!

Thanks! I did it once before and it was NOT that easy. I'm curious to see how it goes the next time, if this was a fluke, or if it's some actual *gasp* progress.

• Like 1

Hey girl, checking and seeing things going pretty good for you. :)   That's always inspiring to see, so thanks for that.

Also thanks for poking at me to see how I've been.

I'm gonna give finishing this challenge a shot.

We've got our hockey team evals this week (no cut tryouts, so no worries there) but some of the girls from some of our opposing teams want to play with us this year... and that's weird.    I think it will change the team atmosphere, and I really LIKED our atmosphere.   Ugh!  

So how is your hockey going?  Which league/set up was this?

Hey girl, checking and seeing things going pretty good for you. :)   That's always inspiring to see, so thanks for that.

Also thanks for poking at me to see how I've been.

I'm gonna give finishing this challenge a shot.

We've got our hockey team evals this week (no cut tryouts, so no worries there) but some of the girls from some of our opposing teams want to play with us this year... and that's weird.    I think it will change the team atmosphere, and I really LIKED our atmosphere.   Ugh!  

So how is your hockey going?  Which league/set up was this?

I've never played on a team that always played together every year, at least not since I played ringette as a kid, so that's how it goes for me every year. By the end of the season we're finally starting to click, and then I start a new season and have to start all over again...

Hockey's going ok. I'm a bit bored with the shinny, there's not enough competitiveness for me. I played in a tournament a couple weeks ago and really, really enjoyed it, and realized what I was missing. For the up coming season, I haven't committed to anything yet, which means I think I'm too late for anything but shinny. I'm debating joining my sister's ringette team, but hockey has become my first love, and I've become a hockey player, and hockey players can sometimes get in a bit of trouble in ringette... So I don't know.....

Saturday

Volunteered in the afternoon, and then a movie in the evening, and I thought I'd have time to squeeze in a strength workout in between. In a perfect world, I probably would have, but alas, this is not a perfect world....

Don't really remember the food part of it, but I do recall there was a bag of popcorn involved.

Sunday

3 hour walk/hike (it was woodsy and off road, but not really challenging enough to call a proper hike) at a medium-slow pace (geocaching the whole way) + a few extras the we drove to then walked for maybe 15 minutes each. My legs were pretty tired after this, so I came home, ate, and lay down a bit. Then I didn't want to get up again, and I had no ice cream left with which to bribe myself, so I decided that if I went for a run, I didn't have to try too hard if I didn't want to, and didn't have to time myself. That was enough, and I actually ended up sprinting a bit at the end.

Food was ok I think.

Monday

Hockey. Was ok, didn't get my heart rate up too much though. But it is what it is.

Stretched. An observant reader will note that I said nothing about stretching on the weekend, and that's because I didn't stretch (more puppy frowns. I need to find a different frowning animal, the puppy is apparently too amusing to be a deterrent...). So today felt good, but I also felt the lack of stretching previous to this.

General Note

I've decided to completely give up on morning exercise, and switch my schedule to M, W, F - cardio (hockey or running), and Tu, Th, Sat - strengthy stuff. I'm not super happy about this, but I'm just too tired and too cranky in the morning to want to do anything but drink coffee and pine for my bed, and I'm not willing to get up even earlier to try to perk up and get it done.

Well it's no use setting yourself up for failure either, so I'm thinking that's the right decision. I wouldn't be able to workout in the morning either, not even if you paid me to do it. 

Maybe try a hyena? Then at least it'll be hilarious :P

I agree with KB Girl, I've tried a few times to do the morning exercise thing and it does not work for me at all.    You gotta find/do what works for you.   And it often seems you and I end up on similar schedules. :D      Is working out midday in any fashion an option for you?   I realize that I am super blessed to have a work arrangement like I do, but being able to get a quick run or lift in on my lunch break has truly been the game changer for me.       It also serves as a great mood lifter for the second round of work.

As for hockey, I hope you can find something that ups the ante for you a bit.     I have to believe that up in the great Canada land there are even more opportunities for hockey than there are down here.    I will cross my fingers that you find something awesome.

Well it's no use setting yourself up for failure either, so I'm thinking that's the right decision. I wouldn't be able to workout in the morning either, not even if you paid me to do it.

I agree with KB Girl, I've tried a few times to do the morning exercise thing and it does not work for me at all.    You gotta find/do what works for you.   And it often seems you and I end up on similar schedules. :D      Is working out midday in any fashion an option for you?   I realize that I am super blessed to have a work arrangement like I do, but being able to get a quick run or lift in on my lunch break has truly been the game changer for me.       It also serves as a great mood lifter for the second round of work.

I knew it would be challenging going in but I was finding it hard to fit everything in in the evenings, and finding that I was letting things scheduled for weekends slide since I wanted to do all the things with other people. So it becomes a choice between buckling down in one way versus buckling down in another way. Lately I've found it easier to buckle down on weekends and evenings, if that changes, I can go back to mornings and see how it goes. Generally, I'm feeling more motivated over all, so that helps.

@Starpuck - midday workouts would be ideal, but I don't have the opportunity. I've occasionally thought about trying to squeeze something in on my break, but by the time I get my lunch break I'm starving, so not eating is not an option, and by the time my lunch is ready and eaten, I don't have much time before I have to get back to work. I work in customer service too, which means no munching food while I work (my boss tolerates my sandwich eating at work when I get breakfast to go, but a full meal would be pushing it). When I took the position I'm in, I knew it'd be an adjustment, since previous to that I worked all evenings and was able to do a midday workout before I even went to work. It'd be so much easier if someone would just pay me to workout in the day and have fun/sleep in the evenings........

Tuesday

Strengthy stuff as folllows:

FH - 3x10

EP - 1:45, 1:30, 1:30

SS - 3x10

PU - 5(20), 3(15), 1(15)

HT - 3x10

Decided to forgo the 10lb weight on the hip thrusts, since they hurt my calf, of all things, and I wanted to see if it made a difference. It did indeed, though it still bothered my calf, just not as much. I think I'll keep it this way for a while and continue with the stretching and see if it helps.

Stretching occurred. Food was good, but a bit carby, I tried a new breakfast that included oats and fruit and milk and protein powder, which put me off to a carby start. I've got more for tomorrow, but I don't think it'll be a frequent thing, maybe just a 'I need a change' thing. Kept me pretty full though, so it's not all bad. Might try replacing some of the milk with yoghurt or kefir the next time I make it.

Also, food related: holy crap, it's hard to eat protein!! I had a scoop of protein powder, plus whatever is in milk and oats, then a can of tuna, then a hamburger made of 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef with cheese, and I still didn't make what I'm supposed to. I'm not upset or concerned about this, I'm happy eating what I eat as long as I'm under on kcals, mostly I'm just flabberghasted at how much I ate (113g) and how much I still had to go (23g), and how I would ever get that extra in there if I cared to do so...

Wednesday

Tired! And my alls hurt... Chose a rest day, and will double up the run and strengthy stuff on Saturday, since I'm busy literally all day Sunday. Objectively, this seems like not the best choice, but subjectively it feels like the right choice, so..........

Instead I did a little laundry and cooked a little food and cleaned a few dishes. Stretching to come shortly, I've discovered that if I stretch my calves first, it makes the hamstring stretch feel more like it's actually stretching my actual hamstring. Dunno if it really is, but it feels like it...

Food was no good today. I didn't pick anything particularly unhealthy, but neither did I pick anything particularly healthy (and I probably picked a bit too much, overall). Also, I paid someone else to make all of my food today, which my bank account does not approve of...

Thursday

My body was seriously considering puking off and all throughout the day. It passed eventually, but I decided the right choice was to get into be and watch the football game.

Friday

Ran 2.4k in some time. I couldn't be bothered to find my watch. It felt ok, but my legs were pretty fatigued. I was headachy all day, I think because of changing weather, so I really didn't want to go, but I did anyway. Stomach was still feeling a bit sour, but no threats of puke, so that was good. 

Did a bit of stretching, but not a full stretch. Food was good, and tracked, I was over a bit but not by much.

Saturday

Feeling kinda down today, for no particular reason, and I let that get the better of me. Which means I neither ran nor did any strength stuff. I shall try to get one or the other in tomorrow, but I'm busy pretty well all day, so it's unlikely to happen.

Stretching isn't going to happen, for the same reason. Food was ok until I had Wendy's for dinner......

One accomplishment today: I unclogged the tub drain! It literally took all day and three different drain cleaners, it was a stubborn clog, but now I can have a shower without getting water over my ankles, and clean the tub out without leaving residue!

Barring some miracle free time tomorrow, I'll get back at it on Monday.

Hello Obax, long time no see! I've read through your entire thread and even though you said it would be boring, it wasn't! Protein is hard to eat a lot of. I'm a meat eater and I really love protein, but it is expensive, it usually requires preparation and it turns out just like you I really love fruit too haha! I'm glad you're not beating yourself up over not getting the target. If you track, you probably know how much protein you make on usual days, and just try to set the goal say 30 grams higher or something. So you do work on getting more protein, but that way it'll be easier for you while probably still having effect!

You are bad, bad, bad at the stretching, you should do that more! Maybe tell yourself that even if you don't make the four stretches you are required to do, you HAVE to do at least one every day. You didn't make your goal then, but you didn't do absolutely nothing either, which is better! It's what I'm doing now because I'm also bad at stretching, I have the same program btw :P

Hello Obax, long time no see! I've read through your entire thread and even though you said it would be boring, it wasn't! Protein is hard to eat a lot of. I'm a meat eater and I really love protein, but it is expensive, it usually requires preparation and it turns out just like you I really love fruit too haha! I'm glad you're not beating yourself up over not getting the target. If you track, you probably know how much protein you make on usual days, and just try to set the goal say 30 grams higher or something. So you do work on getting more protein, but that way it'll be easier for you while probably still having effect!

You are bad, bad, bad at the stretching, you should do that more! Maybe tell yourself that even if you don't make the four stretches you are required to do, you HAVE to do at least one every day. You didn't make your goal then, but you didn't do absolutely nothing either, which is better! It's what I'm doing now because I'm also bad at stretching, I have the same program btw :tongue:

Lilith!! Welcome welcome!!

Yeah, I know re: the stretching. I was feeling a bit demotivated when I realized I made no progress with the hamstrings, but it gets me going again when I wake up and feel ancient. I'll get back to it, even if I've drifted away from FF. Which I need to drift back to, even just to see if it works on other parts of my body, even if my hamstrings are determined to stay unbendy.

I'm happy with being close on my kcals/day and on my macros. I just can't take eating that seriously, and if that means I end up with a little more pudge than I really want, well then c'est la vie! I'm feeling like my pudge has lessened slightly, anyway, though since I don't every weigh myself I'm relying on eyeballing it in the mirror, so it's hard to say for sure.

Monday

Hockey. Was ok. Stretched after. Honestly don't remember what the food was like. Not great, not bad, I think.

Tuesday

Strengthy stuff. Was meh. I worked the early shift today, so I'm super tired. It's also 10000 degrees here today, with about 1000% humidity, so overall, my motivation is pretty low. Went as follows:

FH - 3x10

EP - 1:40, 1:30, 1:00 (gave up on the last one. See above note about low motivation)

SS - 3x10

PU - 3, 3(16), 2(10) (gave up on that last on too, on the knee pushups, and also forgot to do the knee ones on the first set)

BW Rows - 3x10

My sister suggested to try good mornings instead of the hip thrusts, to save the wear and tear on my calf. It definitely didn't bother my calf, but I can't say my glutes or hamstrings really feel like they did any work either. Maybe I'm doing them wrong? I dunno. But I did 3x10 of them.

Stretching to come later, I have to clean the house up a bit because my mom is coming home tomorrow, so that's my next priority. Food was mostly good today, I think, but not tracked.

It does suck when you feel like you make no progress on your hamstrings. But that should be physically impossible right? If you stretch them? Or at least you are keeping them from getting worse... 

I've never done good mornings so I don't know if you did them wrong or if you're supposed to feel your glutes. I do know I always feel my glutes with hip thrusts. So not much help there :P

Theoretically good mornings should be comparable! Maybe add a little weight? 

I thought of this as I was doing them, but I have no idea how to add weight without access to a gym. I supposed I could hold something heavy in my arms, though the idea of having weight in front of me like that makes me scared for my back if I do them wrong. Other than my 2x5lb dumbbells, I have nothing I know the weight of, other than my dog, who's maybe a little heavy for my first try at adding weights. I could probably acquire some 4L jugs of water, but that's about all I can think of......

Also, I am now giggling at the idea of using my dog for weightlifting. And, at the same time, contemplating the logistics of using him for back squats...

I've never done good mornings so I don't know if you did them wrong or if you're supposed to feel your glutes. I do know I always feel my glutes with hip thrusts. So not much help there :tongue:

This is why I'm irritated at whatever is going on in my calf/knee, the hip thrusts are just so perfect.... Stretching really well seems to somewhat mitigate the pain that the hip thrusts cause, so I think I can keep doing them if I have to. I'm just afraid that one day it might be too much and I'll do some serious damage. But for now I'm going to keep experimenting with good mornings, and if I can't get them to work the way they should and I can't get my calf to start feeling better, I'll consider seeking out a professional assessment.