• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
obax

obax - stick to it

Wednesday

Ouch my knee! And I mean actually, it started after my lunch break and didn't stop for the rest of the day. It felt like there was something new happening in my calf, so far the tender spot has been towards the inside of my leg, but this was on the outside, and was hurting all along the outside of my knee. The calf tightness has so far gotten better with use, ie. it always feels better after a run, but today I decided to just to rest it and stretch and massage. Maybe running would have been fine, but running is also easy to make up on the weekend, so....

Stretching my calf didn't help, but stretching my hamstring did. I can still feel that something is up (I suspect my IT band, which is chronically tight, but I have no idea what set it off, it was fine all morning, then on my lunch break I sat and ate and did some dishes, and then when I got back to work, it just started as I walked down the hall), but it's a lot better after stretching. I'm now regretting a bit that I didn't try stretching earlier and then going for a run, but what's done is done, and at least now I know what the source of that particular tightness/pain is. After this, I'm really thinking a professional assessment might be in my future, but I'm gonna give it a bit still at see how it does or does not progress.

Food was good but not tracked.

Yes maybe it is better to see a professional. Your body is serious business and it deserves all the care in the world <3 I am glad that the stretching relieved it. Maybe incorporate a morning stretch every morning? So you are not bothered too much by your knee? 

Anyway, if I'm on track in NF now, this is the last week of the challenge, right? Finish it with a bang :D 

finishline.gif

I thought of this as I was doing them, but I have no idea how to add weight without access to a gym. I supposed I could hold something heavy in my arms, though the idea of having weight in front of me like that makes me scared for my back if I do them wrong. Other than my 2x5lb dumbbells, I have nothing I know the weight of, other than my dog, who's maybe a little heavy for my first try at adding weights. I could probably acquire some 4L jugs of water, but that's about all I can think of......

Also, I am now giggling at the idea of using my dog for weightlifting. And, at the same time, contemplating the logistics of using him for back squats...

Hehe the image works in my head! For good mornings youd put weight on your back aswell, I don't think it's doable to keep good posture with the weight in front. 

Hope your knee feels better soon. I'd get it assessed. And remember, if there is tightness somewhere then it's usually because some other part is not functioning properly and your body had to tighten up to compensate.

Hehe the image works in my head! For good mornings youd put weight on your back aswell, I don't think it's doable to keep good posture with the weight in front. 

Hope your knee feels better soon. I'd get it assessed. And remember, if there is tightness somewhere then it's usually because some other part is not functioning properly and your body had to tighten up to compensate.

That's what I thought re: weighting good mornings, and I have no idea how to do that at home... And I know re: the tightness. I think my tight hip joint combined now with a tight calf is putting pressure on my knee. I don't ever feel like the knee joint itself is unstable or anything like that, it's just frustrating that it seems like the more I do to try to fix tightness and imbalance, the more it seems to make things worse/cause new issues.......

Thursday

Strengthy stuff. Wasn't as tired today, but am feeling very physically fatigued. The heat probably has something to do with it, it's still 10000 degrees C... I can't wait for it to not be summer any more...

FH - 3x10

EP - 1:30, 1:15, 1:00

SS - 3x10

PU - 4(14), 2(10), 1(10)

BW Row - 3x8

Decided to just leave out any hamstring/glute exercise to see if it will help my knee/calf. I'll give it a week or so and see if there's any improvement. Speaking of my knee/calf, it feels a lot better today. Still tight but not nearly as painful as yesterday.

Food was ok, not tracked. Stretching will occur shortly.

Going to the cottage for the long weekend, so there probably won't be any updates until Monday or Tuesday. Which I guess is the end of the challenge? Huh. Where does the time go?

Hoping that resting your knee will help. Have a great weekend and hide some good caches

That's the plan! Well, maybe not hide them, but definitely find them!!

Be kind to your knees!

I am, I am!! It's irritating though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday

Decided to go to the cottage early tomorrow. I knew if I went tonight I wouldn't run, and it's unlikely I'll want to take the time to do both running and strenghty stuff tomorrow when I'm there. I figure if I get up early and go, I'll arrive at about the same time as I would get my ass in gear if I was there already, so I'm not losing any time to do things and stuff. Getting up early and going is a big 'if', but I'm determined. I'm already 1/2 way ready!

So, my run was 2k hilly route in some time. I purposefully didn't look at my watch which was sitting right beside me when I put on my shoes so I could say I 'forgot' to put it on, but now I sort of wish I'd timed it, since it felt way less crappy than I was expecting. Sometimes that means my effort is lacking, but sometimes that means it's actually a good run, and there's no way to tell without a time...

Calf is feeling not bad today. I could feel some tightness as I ran (no pain though), which loosened as I went. It was no worse than it was before, and it felt good all day at work today. I'll have to make a point of really stretching my calves well when I'm at the cottage, I normally do it on stairs, and the cottage is all one level, but the deck outside has stairs. When it's pitch black I don't go out and use the stairs, so I'll either have to stretch when it's still light out or brave the darkness....

Cottage plan is strengthy stuff tomorrow, run on Sunday, and hopefully lots of walking/hiking while geocaching. I think I'll take Monday off, it's a holiday after all. Unless it's rainy, in which case I'll come home for hockey.

It's nice that your run felt less crappy than expected though! I think you should stick with the original reason you didn't take the watch, which is not knowing you did sucky. So that option doesn't exist and it clearly was a great run with a great time! :D

Keep taking care of your calf <3 

Have a nice weekend!

Do you have a lacrosse ball (or similar)?  I've been rolling my feet during my stretching routine and it helps a great deal with calf/hamstring tightness.  Hurts like hell but works.

• Like 1

It's nice that your run felt less crappy than expected though! I think you should stick with the original reason you didn't take the watch, which is not knowing you did sucky. So that option doesn't exist and it clearly was a great run with a great time! :D

Ha! I like the way you think!

Do you have a lacrosse ball (or similar)?  I've been rolling my feet during my stretching routine and it helps a great deal with calf/hamstring tightness.  Hurts like hell but works.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................... Perhaps I will give this a try... Just thinking about it is making me cringe, however...

Enjoy the cottage time! Congrats on finishing yet another challenge in your consistent way :)

Thanks! It doesn't feel very consistent from my POV, but I guess when I think about it, it's better than I feel like it is. I have trouble sometimes believing that less than perfect can still be pretty good, but I do think this challenge has gone better than some of the last few.

• Like 1

Challenge Wrap-Up

I'm not going to go over each goal in detail, but I'm feeling better overall about this one than some of the last few. As KBG pointed out, I'm actually fairly consistent. I get caught up in the fact that I'm not always perfect sometimes, but when I step back and think about it, I might be less than perfect, but I still did ok.

One specific I will comment on is the Focused Flexibility goal. I was mostly consistent-ish with my stretching, but did get away from the FF a bit. I kinda forgot about the shoulder ones towards the end of the challenge, mainly because I was focusing on my calf/knee/whatever it is, and I also didn't switch stretches as I was supposed to. I think I'm pretty solidly in the 6-week cycle, and the point of switching it up it to keep it from getting boring, so maybe doing the same for 6 weeks isn't that bad after all (2 doesn't feel long enough for me). I'll have to think a bit about it and will revisit this one the next time around.

The Between

To keep myself honest, I shall report on The Between. Today I did my strengthy stuff, as follows:

FH - 3x10

EP - 2:00, 1:07, 1:15

SS - 3x10

PU - 5(18), 5(15), 5(10)

Yes, that's right, that's 3x5 real pushups. That's a PR, by a fairly considerable amount (or at least what feels like a considerable amount, 3x5 has thus far felt impossible). Also, the 1:07 on the plank was mainly because it's still 10000 degrees C, and apparently a t-shirt was overdressed. It was so hot it felt like I couldn't breathe, so I gave in and stopped. It went better on the 3rd one, sans shirt. This is one area where I really envy men (being able to just walk around shirtless), and also why, despite the lack of equipment, I like working out at home (cuz my mom doesn't care if I walk around in just a bra, and my dad is very good at pointedly looking the other direction when I go to fill my water bottle).

Got another PREP test coming up in a couple of weeks, and a practice next week. I'm a bit nervous about only having 1 practice, but in the past I probably could have gotten away with 1 or none, so last time I determined that this time I would only do 1 so it feels less like a waste of time and money, but still lets me gain the confidence from the practice. That said, the day that I should be able to do it (barring work coverage) technically gives me enough time to squeeze another in there if it goes disastrously, but I'm anticipating it going as well as it always does (which is very well).

• Like 2

The Wednesday Between

Ran 2.4k in 12:59. Felt crappier than that, so I was surprised at the time. My legs were quite fatigued, and all of my left was tight and a little bit ouchy. Got some heel pain going on, and a bit of a foot cramp towards the end.

Tomorrow is hockey. It's the first game of the season, so we'll see if I'm in over my head or not... Also, dammit! I forgot to sharpen my skates again!

Wooooo good luck with your first game!

Thanks! I mentioned it in my current challenge, I think. But the short version is, it was good!

Way to go with the pushups and great challenge. I like that you realize that you did good on the challenge, even if you aren't perfect .

I have the mindset that if you're going to do something, you should do it right. Somehow, not being perfect with my schedule, or not equaling or bettering my last time/count/whatever becomes not doing it right. Which is ridiculous, and most of the time I'm ok with being less than perfect, but other times it feels like I'm wasting my time, and I have to remind myself that just showing up is the first step on the path to awesome, and one step forward is always better than no steps forward.

• Like 1