Lou_be_Lou keeps moving

Lou_be_Lou

Keeping it simple for all of the reasons.

1) Keep moving

run at least 3x a week

martial arts when there are classes (they're a bit sporadic due to summer)

cycle to work at least 2x a week (with allowances for weather because, scotland)

bonus exercise = yoga and/or at home technique or bag work

2) Food

I've notice that I can't stomach much processed food at the moment, so cook from scratch.

Key guidelines for me = gluten free, dairy light, mostly AIP compliant but with some rice and other gf grain.

For funnsies cook one new recipe per week.

3) Music

Play that bass 6 days a week.

Bonuses (funnsies?) = aural training app, tuba and flute - once a week each please.

That should keep me nicely out of trouble - I'm just hoping we have some mornings without rain cause this morning, no way was I running or cycling, and there wasn't even that much rain! 

I kind of got ahead of myself already on the food - made a "danish rye bread" containing no rye (from http://www.friendsofadam.se/brodbok/friendly-bread.html), and it is the best gf bread I have ever ever made!!!!!  Tasty tasty - but made it on sunday.... ooops.  Along with belly dancer beets from Well Fed 2.  All tasty, all good.  Need to make more recipes from both cook books.

Challenge is go!

• Like 1

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Gluten-free rye bread?  Do not taunt me so!

It has "dark syrup", so I used molasses, and all of the seeds - pumpkin, sundflower, linseeds and seasame seeds, plus a bonkers list of gf flours - I'll cobble together a more english version of the recipe (its currently in a google translate version from swedish) and monk kitchen it - maybe tonight - i'll let you know....  Amazingly it actually tastes like bread.

Looking good over here. And do not fear the rain! It makes you tough inside and out. :)

My best runs ever (head wise, not speed wise) were in rain - I try to remember this, but at 6am with cats suggesting that they need cuddles it is difficult to remember that rain is beautiful......

Yesterday managed a bass practise (a bit brain scrambled, but it was ok), and this morning I ran (5.3k)  and then did GMB shoulder warm up things.  Challenge started!

Nice challenge!  I know what you mean about biking or running in the rain. It is not so bad on the way home, but it is unpleasant to get to work damp. Good rain gear helps, but only so much.

You play tuba and flute in addition to bass? What a multi-talented musician!

Aye, arriving damp at work is just bleugh - especially as the work showers are broken.... oops.  And flute and tuba are instruments that don't get played in public - ok, generally have an ornamental function, but I'm loving trying to play them again (when the lodger is out, cause they're sounding shocking).

Guh. Cats. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a cat-person, I'd despise them.

They get in the way when you're training. :tongue:

but sometimes they provide additional weight during push ups and sit ups.......

Going well here, good bass practise last night.  Cycled yesterday.  Ran this morning.  All good.

Initiating a counting system.......

Runs: 2/18

Cycling to work: 1/12

Bass practise: 2/36

Very happy with the start of the challenge - also very happy cause after my run (!) I picked raspberries and blackcurrants for some of my breakfast, YUM.

• Like 2

Nice challenge, Lou.  You gonna populate our Kitchen with awesomeness over the next 6 weeks?   Are ya?

I kind of got ahead of myself already on the food - made a "danish rye bread" containing no rye (from http://www.friendsofadam.se/brodbok/friendly-bread.html), and it is the best gf bread I have ever ever made!!!!!  Tasty tasty - but made it on sunday.... ooops.  Along with belly dancer beets from Well Fed 2.  All tasty, all good.  Need to make more recipes from both cook books.

Wat.  WAT.

I'm not GF but now I want that bread.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Nice challenge, Lou.  You gonna populate our Kitchen with awesomeness over the next 6 weeks?   Are ya?

Wat.  WAT.

I'm not GF but now I want that bread.

Absolutely, re kitchen awesomeness - i just get to hungry whenever i look there.....

Quick check in - bass morning this morning cause jujitsu tonight.  Sorting stuff out - next challenge is getting lodger happier about at least one morning a week of bass practise before 7am - she wasnae happy this morning ......... oops.

Tally

Cycling to work: 2/12

Bass practise: 4/36

Hi Lou! Looks like your challenge is off to a good start!

The best bit is that I'm waking up feeling excited either about getting to exercise or about bass playing.  Both are great!  I'm crediting eating cleaner (which is going just fine) with waking up alive (vs old school uggggghhhh how can it be morning).  I've even been waking up before my alarm!

Had a bleugh time at jujitsu last night though - my brain was fried and it just wasn't really happening - complete with doing a bad block, something crunched in my finger.  Oops.  It seems fine (i've been icing it), impressively swollen, quite blue, but is moving just fine and mostly discomfort free.  Even managed a bass practise this morning, so I'm mostly sure its just soft tissue damage.  GRRRRRRRR. 

Today's update:

Tally

Cycling to work: 2.5/12

Bass practise: 5/36

Technique practise; 0/6 oops

UGH, yeah, fingers and martial arts. It's a bad relationship. :( Ice that puppy and get some ibuprofen down if you can.

I did plenty of icing and it seems to have helped.    Bruising almost all over (it was a pretty range of colours friday and saturday), good range of movement, still slight swelling.  Seemed to have dodged more of an injury.....

The weekend was fine - 5k parkrun, some cycling, kickboxing training and a run this morning.  YAY.

I also did loads of baking - made gf bread for work (recipe still to follow in the kitchen) cause finally, an edible bread!  Plus gf pizza (!), plus another trial bread.

Week 1 was a win - loads of targets met (didn't play with aural training app, and didn't manage at home technique work, but think i did everything else that I'd hoped for).  Astonishing.

Even more of a win is that I managed the whole of the week in a healthy state.  PHEW.  Especially as this is the first no illness week in a long time.  Again, PHEW.  I think eating no processed food may be my magic bullet.  I'll be keeping that up.

Tally

Runs: 4/18

Cycling to work: 3/12

Bass practise: 6/36

• Like 2

Yeah you! Watch that blue finger- unfortunately it's not one that is outstanding for expletives or the colour would add panache.

I dropped by to say "hi" and I did start my own challenge. It's good to "see" you my best and original cheerer-on-er :)

Sent whilst slaying demons and such so please excuse mistakes.....[emoji6]

• Like 1

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

"the stars began to burn through the sheets of clouds, and there was a new voice which you slowly recognized as your own"  ~ Mary Oliver

Battle/Flight Log

Wow, somebody stole the week!

Its been bonkers.  Work is fairly non-stop, trying to get my work done and look after two students who keep needing to learn new stuff.  Eeeeek.  They're great, but I feel a bit slammed.  Plus, I'm needing to learn music for a gig in about 9 days - I've started, but its taking lots of time.  And somehow I'm busy but my to do lists keep growing.  Ah well, I suspect all of this is normal.

Good news, my staying healthy streak is still going.  YAY!  So I'm still on a no processed food binge.  Doing just fine.  Though feeling guilty about not yet having posted my new gf bread recipe..... Tomorrow?

Challenge going ok - i've cycled to work this week a couple of times, played bass a fair bit, run 3 x (>18k), made it to training.  Plus eating clean.  This week hasn't had a new recipe just yet......  I also earnt volunteer point today - was a marshal at my local parkrun - brilliant fun, its a 5k run, 3 x around a route, so I was clapping and cheering continuously for about 45 minutes, amazing spread of runners, from 17 min for the first home, to 50 min for the slowest - I had a challenge with myself to cheer folk on enough that the struggling ones managed to speed up a bit - yep, managed it for most of them.  Only took about an hour to calm back down from all the enthusiasm.  Definitely fun getting to do rabid cheering on.  Oh and I'd managed to go for an early early 5k run myself first, then pop into work, then marshal.......  too much for a sat morning......

I was tired during this week  - must do some early bedtimes......

Log:

Tally

Runs: 6/18

Cycling to work: 5/12

Bass practise: 12/36

• Like 1

Challenge going ok - i've cycled to work this week a couple of times, played bass a fair bit, run 3 x (>18k), made it to training.  Plus eating clean.  This week hasn't had a new recipe just yet......  I also earnt volunteer point today - was a marshal at my local parkrun - brilliant fun, its a 5k run, 3 x around a route, so I was clapping and cheering continuously for about 45 minutes, amazing spread of runners, from 17 min for the first home, to 50 min for the slowest - I had a challenge with myself to cheer folk on enough that the struggling ones managed to speed up a bit - yep, managed it for most of them.  Only took about an hour to calm back down from all the enthusiasm.  Definitely fun getting to do rabid cheering on.  Oh and I'd managed to go for an early early 5k run myself first, then pop into work, then marshal.......  too much for a sat morning......

That is quite the set of activities to do early on a Saturday. I hope you get to relax some tomorrow.

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Wow, you are so busy!  You are really nice to be so focused on helping people at home and volunteering.  You made a big difference to those runners :-)  It would take a while to settle after that!

Lots of cooking time sounds like it's worth it for you to avoid the processed foods.  I think 7FG and SandyLion do the same it is really works for them.

Sorry I took so long to get around to your thread *grovels*

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Wow, you are so busy!  You are really nice to be so focused on helping people at home and volunteering.  You made a big difference to those runners :-)  It would take a while to settle after that!

Lots of cooking time sounds like it's worth it for you to avoid the processed foods.  I think 7FG and SandyLion do the same it is really works for them.

Sorry I took so long to get around to your thread *grovels*

no worries re the belated catch up - we're all bonkers busy it seems........

That is quite the set of activities to do early on a Saturday. I hope you get to relax some tomorrow.

i do love that flavour of bonkers saturday - yes I usually make sure I relax!

My oh my, what a week! Sounds like even though it tried to get away, you stayed on top of it. That's awesome! And playing volunteer cheerleader and watching other people suffer is loads of fun and inspiration too. :D

well, watching the fast runners is a pleasure, and the ones who are struggling - that is a complete inspiration!

Meantime, yep, I went missing.  Sadly its because I was an idiot on sunday.......  I got all excited about a recipe that a friend at work told me about, cooked it, ate it (sunday dinner and monday lunch, more fool me) - turns out that that bit where last time I didn't feel great after eating soy sauce (gf of course) was merely a prelude. Well, this time, by monday I had hyperdermographism, which while drawing on my skin is vaguely entertaining, it means that anywhere that clothing touches it hurts.  Oops.  Tuesday I was brain fried and oh so tired (but vaguely functional at work).  Wednesday= worst day (just needed to be horizontal, most of me hurt), I managed to crawl into work by 3:30pm  - and only made it in cause it was phone handover for being on call, oh, and students who I didn't really want to leave for the entire day.  Thursday a bit better (a proper 1/2 day at work), today much better.  Bloody hell!  No more soy sauce for me.  And at the same time I hope it was the soy sauce and not something else that I ate but have forgotten about.........  Or just something environmental......

So, not a great week for exercise (a big fat zero after kickboxing on sunday night).  I have managed some bass practise - had to cause I've got a challenging gig on monday and about 12 hours rehearsal this weekend.  Much of the music is now up to speed, but not all of it.   Oops again.

But I'm back, I'm much more awake.  My skin is feeling slightly tender but mostly normal.  And I haven't had a painkiller since this morning.  Much better.  Hoping to manage at least one run in the weekend. But it depends a bit on how exhausting the rehearsals (and driving to rehearsals - about 90 min each way) are........  Am trying to hear my yoga instructor in my head with her "listen to your body".  Followed by "be kind to your body". 

current tally (again, oops):

Runs: 6/18

Cycling to work: 5/12

Bass practise: 17/36