Smarter, Stronger, Faster

VRGirl

My name is Valerie and this is my first 6 week challenge. 

I've been a member of the Nerd Fitness Academy for about 5-6 weeks, and I'm really enjoying it. I have never posted here, but I am active on the FB women's group. I am a PhD candidate in my last year of school, and I'm working hard to keep both my mind and body in shape. I was born a runner, but I lost a lot of my fitness abilities when I dove headfirst into school. I want to take that power back and be proud of my strength, my body, and what I can accomplish. 

Over the last couple of years, I have moved from barely able to run a mile, to completing 5 1/2 marathons in good time, but I'm still trying to break that 2 hour barrier: PR 2:00:08 (seriously.) In order to accomplish my main goal (below), I must get stronger and faster. Since this is my first 6 week challenge, I'm going to start out with some pretty small Quests and step it up from there. 

Main Quest: Run my first full marathon in 4 hours in January 2016 at the Arizona Rock n Roll Marathon (my family will be there to cheer me on W00T!)

Quest 1: Run a mile in 7 minutes and 30 seconds by the end of the 6 week challenge. My PR is currently 8:06, so I have to shave off 47 seconds. 

Measurement: A = 7:30 B = 7:40 C = 7:50 

Reward: A = +3 STA/ +1 DEX ; B = +2 STA/ +1 DEX ; C = +2STA 

Quest 2: Drink Less Alcohol - this is the main source of my bad calories. I am SUPER social, and a social drinker. 

Measurement: # of drinks per week total - A = 7 or less B = 9 or less C = 11 or less

Reward: A = +2 WIS/ +1CON ; B = +1 WIS/ +1 CON ; C = +1 CON

Life Quest: In order to become as competitive as possible for the market, which opens in my field mid-September, I MUST get 1 more article accepted (at least on a contingent basis) to a major journal. I have been devising and outlining an article all summer for a specific journal, and now I need to just write the thing. My life goal is to have the first draft complete and ready for review by my adviser by the end of this challenge. 

Measurement: A = Finished and Submitted B = Still need to write conclusion C = 1/2 drafted

Reward: A = +2 CHA/ +1 CON ; B = +2 CHA ; C = +1 CHA

Motivation: Feeling good about my own accomplishments makes me proud of myself, and the direct result is confidence. I need to be confident and academically in a great place when I start interviewing late fall/winter. The more confidence, the more jobs I'll likely score. It only takes one - but I want the right one. 

• Like 1

Skaði Thistleside

Half Dwarf/Half Human : Scout 

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

STR 4/ DEX 1/ STA 4/ CON 3/ WIS 5/ CHA 4

"Je suis Prest." 

I found out last night that an old friend OD'd in a parking lot in Washington state. She went missing about a month ago from Phoenix, AZ and the whole story is really shady, but the police found her body sometime early Monday morning and now Facebook is blowing up with kind, loving messages about her life. And my phone is blowing up with messages from friends from the old life. It's a little like ghosts resurfacing. 

Last night, when I heard, I just thought, "I'm not surprised. Another one bites the dust" because that is the kind of life I rose up out from. 

But then I dreamt I was a teenager again and I was late going home and I was going to get in trouble for breaking curfew. In real life, I was the only kid with a curfew. Even my brother didn't have one. A lot of my old friends were there. And I woke up really sad. I just keep thinking about her two kids. Their father abandoned them early on, and now she's dead, and her new husband isn't going to stick around for them. Thank God she has a sister who will step up. But I think about them and I cry all over again. 

Because I'm super social, I need people. Lots of people. So I'm still going on with the day. I worked out. It's hard to cry in plank position. It's harder to cry when you're doing squat thrusts. But I did it. 

And I'm NOT going to quell the tears with alcohol. I started this 6 week challenge yesterday, and I'm using it to break habits. This is my first monster on the quest. But I think someone screwed up and put the boss monster at the beginning instead of the end. 

• Like 1

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest." 

Hey! My main quest is the AZ R'n'R as well, albeit the half! God luck to you! Can't wait to follow your progress!

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Hey i finally found you from the f group (i lost track of the link) and thought i'd say hi :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and fair play for you to channel your grief into squat thrusts as opposed to alcohol! I'm doing a Whole30 this challenge so i'm also giving up alcohol. Like you i'm a social drinker and being an undergraduate it comes with the territory but i'm determined to stay strong!

how are you finding your first challenge?

Hobbit on a mission level 2

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71372-smileitsmes-fight-to-be-an-initiate/

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning how to dance in the rain!

What an amazing challenge wow!  Love NFA too but I do not do FB at all.  LOL  Odd ball I know.  Stop by the Scouts Tavern and say hello.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Thanks everyone, for your encouraging responses! It's going to be a rough challenge in terms of quest 2, which needs a good nickname like, "The Great Social Drinking Test" or something.

But in other quest news, I already beat Quest 1 - which I assumed would be the hardest. I had a friend come to the track and time me, which made a HUGE difference because I didn't have to worry about anything except just running. And I ran. And it hurt, but I ran a 7:00.05 mile! I couldn't believe it!! Originally, I was going to have my friend time me once a week, but now I'm just going to have her time me one more time in week 5 to see if I can beat a 7 minute mile. What's .05 seconds, right? I had NO idea I could run a mile in 7 minutes. NO idea. 

I DID manage to make it through week 1 of quest 2 unscathed. I have 2 very close friends with whom I spend most of my time. They know I'm serious and they are pretty good about not trying to talk me into drinking with them, but they both drink A LOT, and there are always events, and exceptions to why I should drink just one extra one, and an open bottle of wine on the table. Good thing I like iced tea w/o sugar. My biggest dream would be to get the both of them involved in Nerd Fitness. I'm working on that. Maybe I should make it a quest. 

My life quest is on hold because I moved this weekend and decided to paint my living-room before I set it up. It turns out painting is difficult and I'm definitely using it as my non-strength training cardio for the weekend. But I ate pizza - a lot of it - and noodles - and a bunch of shit I just shouldn't have eaten. And I felt pretty bad about it. Some of it has to do with my two friends just bringing whatever food they want around, but most of it has to do with me doing what they want to do because it's easier. I felt really weak, but I can't really tell them about it because it just makes them think I think they're weak. It's like an unending cycle of 'how many people can Valerie accidentally insult in one hour' game. 

But tomorrow I'm setting up my bookcase and organizing all the books I need in order to write, and I'll be back on track. 

And I need it. All the chaos of moving and having books stacked on the floor of my new bedroom is rough. I need bumpers on all my stuff because I keep falling on it. 

• Like 1

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest." 

What an incredible mile!  I have never been that fast since I started running again.  Wow!

Moving, food, friends, and all that stuff is tricky for sure.  I know I feel like I am not so nice when repeatedly declining things offered.  Someone always asks why and then I have to reply I do not like to eat that stuff and well you know how that goes.  Sometime I go in saying I am not going to eat something and I feel good about it.  Then I do eat junk for whatever reason.  I completely get the feeling weak scenario.  You do and do not want to talk about it with them.  Hard to admit when you feel like you may have let yourself down and also not wanting anyone to misconstrue what you are saying since you do not want hurt feelings.  Ugh.  Went through it on Sunday actually.  My gut has yet to forgive me for it too.

• Like 1

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Hard to admit when you feel like you may have let yourself down and also not wanting anyone to misconstrue what you are saying since you do not want hurt feelings.  

This is SO what I'm experiencing. It's so nice to read understanding.  :panda:

I love my friends. I wouldn't survive without them. So I want to do my thing and feel good about it, just like I want them to be happy. 

This week is going to be REALLY hard - I have, in order and each day: 1. A date 2. A going away party 3. A friend's band playing at a big show 4. A birthday party 5. A housewarming party. -- And I'm going to stick to my quest. I need a power boost. Like a flashy star. 

• Like 1

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest." 

c6ff76fc646456c460c35fc65a5ba334.gif

You can do it.  If you miss one time just keep at it.  Having a game plan can help going into each item.  They each have their own challenges so as best you can anticipate the challenges and how you want to handle it.  Also if you miss then take a minute and learn why so next time you are just that much smarter.  

• Like 1

I couldn't do it. 

I couldn't stick to the Challenge over this weekend with all the parties and the more parties with some parties on the side. 

In my Google Sheet where I record how much I'm drinking, I wrote "Pirates came and Stole My Challenge" - and you know what? I'm not going to feel bad about it. I had a GREAT time having everyone over at my place for the very first time AND having all the sushi and sake with my best friend for her birthday. In my old life, I would have felt really terrible about this and kind of beat myself up over my 'failure,' but I'm not going to do that in my new life. 

I started all my sheets over today, and I even moved up to Bodyweight Brigade Level 2 - and I feel pretty great. I'm pretending that this weekend's drink-a-thon didn't happen because I promised my bestie that I wouldn't record everything this weekend, so I am giving myself permission to have dropped off the grid, because I gave myself permission to drop off the grid. 

The next major party (my other closest friend) isn't until the 22nd, and won't be coupled with 1000 other parties. I'm confident I can stick with the challenge. I CAN DO IT! 

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest." 

That's the right spirit. Don't give up.

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Alright, next party just three days away. How are things going? What's your strategy for sticking to the challenge heading into the libatious weekend?

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Thanks for checking in with me! That's really thoughtful and amazing! I have like, the opposite of accountability over here in my regular life. 

This month so far has been SO hard. I had another party on Monday, and an event on Tuesday. And not one but 2 parties now, on Saturday, plus a  tabletop board game night on Friday. I want to throw in the towel all the time. 

BUT - my strategy is to not really drink at the birthday party so I can drive and make an appearance at the 2nd party, and then drive BACK to the birthday party and maybe have 1, or 2. And then drive home a few hours later. I'm finding that when I bring fancy waters, put them in fancy glasses, it's pretty much the same as drinking, and no one even asks, so the social part is mostly covered. Until people start doing shots. AND... it might have been my idea to provide a pinata filled with plastic airplane bottle of liquor at this birthday party. So.... I'm my own worst enemy. But I sure know how to throw a party. 

I am about to go out to the grocery store and get some fancy waters though. I CAN DO THIS! 

• Like 2

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest." 

BUT - my strategy is to not really drink at the birthday party so I can drive and make an appearance at the 2nd party, and then drive BACK to the birthday party and maybe have 1, or 2. And then drive home a few hours later. I'm finding that when I bring fancy waters, put them in fancy glasses, it's pretty much the same as drinking, and no one even asks, so the social part is mostly covered. Until people start doing shots. AND... it might have been my idea to provide a pinata filled with plastic airplane bottle of liquor at this birthday party. So.... I'm my own worst enemy. But I sure know how to throw a party. 

I am about to go out to the grocery store and get some fancy waters though. I CAN DO THIS! 

I hope it works for you. I started counting calories again and just realised how many calories beer has.

We have a few parties this week, too. And it's really hard to not eat all the cake. It's always hard to resist something, when there are such special occasions. Because one might tell oneself, it's a special occasion. We can do better tomorrow. It's all right to have every thing we want from time to time. The matter is, that there are quite a few of these "speacial occasions" ^^

I'm rooting for you. Keep strong. I'll try to eat less cake, too. ;)

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Thank you everyone, for the well-wishes, the support, and the connections. 

Half of this challenge was easy as, well, cake. The other... nope nope nope. 

Here are my 6 week challenge results:

Main Quest: Run my first full marathon in 4 hours in January 2016 at the Arizona Rock n Roll Marathon (my family will be there to cheer me on W00T!)

Quest 1: Run a mile in 7 minutes and 30 seconds by the end of the 6 week challenge. My PR is currently 8:06, so I have to shave off 47 seconds. 

Measurement: A = 7:30 B = 7:40 C = 7:50 

Reward: A = +3 STA/ +1 DEX ; B = +2 STA/ +1 DEX ; C = +2STA 

Result 1: I cleaned this out on the first week. I had no idea I could run a 7 minute mile. Yeay me. 

Reward: +3 STA & +1 DEX

Quest 2: Drink Less Alcohol - this is the main source of my bad calories. I am SUPER social, and a social drinker. 

Measurement: # of drinks per week total - A = 7 or less B = 9 or less C = 11 or less

Reward: A = +2 WIS/ +1CON ; B = +1 WIS/ +1 CON ; C = +1 CON

Result 2: This was nigh impossible. I kept a spreadsheet where I recorded how much I was drinking. At least one day a week, I wrote simply, "Shenanigans" - so... yeah. This was SO hard. There's always a party somewhere. This 6 week challenge, I got my 2 best friend's birthdays, my housewarming party, Dragon Con... and so on and on and on. BUT I DRANK LESS THAN NORMAL! 

Reward: +1 CON - I tried. 

Life Quest: In order to become as competitive as possible for the market, which opens in my field mid-September, I MUST get 1 more article accepted (at least on a contingent basis) to a major journal. I have been devising and outlining an article all summer for a specific journal, and now I need to just write the thing. My life goal is to have the first draft complete and ready for review by my adviser by the end of this challenge. 

Measurement: A = Finished and Submitted B = Still need to write conclusion C = 1/2 drafted

Reward: A = +2 CHA/ +1 CON ; B = +2 CHA ; C = +1 CHA

Result 3: This was also very difficult, mostly because there was so much else going on (Dragon Con). But I give myself B status on this one. I pretty much still need to finish it up and submit it. 

Reward: +2 CHA

I really liked doing this challenge, and I will try again in a week. And you better believe drinking less stays on there. 

CHEERS all! 

Skaði Thistleside

My 3rd 4 Week Challenge

Level 4

"Je suis Prest."