Emma in rehab

This is an idea that has been percolating in my brain since the Avengers Workout Challenge. I wanted a persona but I have never clicked with the superhero thing. However, agent of SHIELD appeals to me.

Therefore, I am pretending to be an agent who was injured on my last assignment. During my recuperation I gained a lot of weight and got out of shape. Once out of the hospital I was retrained for lighter duty doing radiology in the medical lab. I live on base in BOQ, a small apartment, and am doing rehab to regain my strength. I eat in the mess hall most of the time. Since it is only open at certain times my eating is restricted to those times. This helps control my "anything goes" eating habit. I go to the gym three times a week for rehab and work on other exercises in my quarters.

Gym three times a week

Stretching daily

Walk daily

Calories 2000 a day

These are mostly good habits now except for the eating.

On a personal level I have been editing my life. Since the divorce I have been saying yes to almost everything that came my way. Tried a lot of things. I am now going to say no to things I don't like. I used to want to go to parties because FOMO. Now I know I really don't like parties. I loved theater when I was in high school but I feel so much better since getting out of that last theater project. I simply don't have enough time to do a proper job so I am saying no to theatre from now on. People keep telling me I should do music professionally but I don't like the stress. My job pays enough for me to live on and I am happy here. My spare time now is for leisure, R and R, not stressing about a second job.

R and R: read, nap, watch movie, play piano, write song, walk, take a road trip.

Update from last challenge: I never did that balloon ride last time. Found out it cost $250 and only lasted an hour. Too pricey for me. But I will find other things to do.

I will find the way to fabulous.

• Like 9

So somehow I missed the post about you starting a new thread and I thought you hadn't posted for a week and was getting concerned. Finally found new thread and I was two pages behind. Then you start another new thread. I need to pay closer attention.

As far as saying no goes, I've been reading a lot lately if it's not a hell yeah, it's a no. Find your hell yeahs and do those.

• Like 1

Monday

Rehab done, gym, walk and stretches.

Modified eating plan went well. Breakfast snack, lunch, dinner and then mid rats. Worked entire shift and then some. Monday is usually a very busy day. I asked if there was anything else and the dispatcher told me to run! Run while you can! Funny woman.

Eating dinner at midnight is kind of weird, ok definitely weird but it helped get me through the end of my shift, knowing I was going to have a full meal when I got home.

Today 

walk not done. Had breakfast meeting with Rotary and weather got too hot by the time we were done.

Had breakfast at meeting (good food, always good food) so just had fruit for lunch.

Been doing Konmari on my stuff and getting to the end of it. Finally went through the piles of random music compositions and got them organized (it's been years! Years!). Found the master of my very first cd, thought it had been lost,  and a couple of old favorite pieces that I thought were lost.

Almost done with daily clean of BOQ, then will do stretches and tubes while watching movie.

• Like 4

A-HA!  New thread!  

I love this new challenge!  You are now officially AGENT EMMA!  Rehab is hard, and slow, and often frustrating, but you're on the right track, and paring down your life will make you speedy and aerodynamic!  

Looking forward to seeing you in the Helicarrier, Agent.

• Like 1

Hahaha your dispatcher sounds hilarious! Also sounds like the midnight meal is working for you, at least mentally as a motivator for getting through the shift. 

Love that you found some goodies while cleaning! So cool!

• Like 1

Tuesday

Didn't track my food. That breakfast meeting threw me off all day. I did resist a few snacks by telling myself the mess hall is closed. Small win, that.

Stretches, yes

Walk not, too hot.

Today

Gym

Walk before it gets hot

Stretches

Track food

Put stage gear into storage. Don't really like performing, not going to seek it out, but I do expect it to be part of my life from time to time.

Take audio recording gear in for sale thus simplifying -editing my life. I'm so not an audio engineer, it is ridiculously complicated, at least for me. I am sticking with software for my compositions.

• Like 4

Sounds like everything is going well for you. Well everything except the play. Sadly there are some things we have no control over.

Are you still taking suggestions for things to watch? If so and since it seems like you Nathan Fillion from Castle you may want to check out Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog in which I found both Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan to be funny in. And also Firefly with Nathan as captain of a good hearted smuggling space crew that goes and does good deeds. Then follow that up with the movie Serenity that continues the story after the series got canceled. If you want more I've got tons, but my tastes tend to run more towards the silly.

• Like 2

I am totally relieved and happy to be out of the play.

After the divorce one of my favorite things to do was to just lie on the bed, stare at the ceiling and enjoy the feeling of freedom. Then I lost that feeling. Thought it was because I wasn't living out of a suitcase anymore (no stuff). After getting out of the show I felt that freedom feeling again and realize it was scheduling. Having too much to do. Editing my life, cutting out things I don't really want to do, has brought back the freedom feeling.

Wednesday

Rehab done. I have eliminated any weight work over my head. This seems to be helping my back. Back up to increased weights on other moves and increasing sets now. Still no DOMS. What is limiting me, I think, is my heart. I get out of breath and light headed. I have had a mild heart condition all my life which has never limited me before, but I have never really pushed myself very hard physically before. Am paying attention to how I feel and being careful to not work out alone in the gym. But hey, the heart is a muscle so I should be able to make it stronger too. :)

Calories good.

I love Nathan Fillion. I wish Castle were my dad. :) I will check out your suggestions, Bearlee. Thanks!

• Like 6

Be careful with the heart stuff - have you thought about talking to a doctor about your training?  Might give you more of an idea on how to train safely, and it can't hurt to get more information!

Life-editing is a great high, but it can be tricky when that high wears off.  It's an ongoing process!  Here's a cool blog to check out if you don't already know these guys:  http://www.theminimalists.com/

"Life-editing" Never heard it called that before, such a simple term for something so powerful.

I did some major "life-editing" almost a year ago and it really took some weight off my shoulders that I wasn't even aware that I was carrying around.

I want to second the idea of chatting with your doctor about your workouts, all knowledge is good knowledge right?

• Like 4

Friday

Cleaning then shopped till I dropped. I don't like shopping so it didn't take all that long. :) Plus I ran out of room to put stuff in my little car.

Bought Agents of SHIELD and binge watched and did more stretches and backpack and tubes while I was watching.

Thought about taking the puppy for a run on Hwy 1 but the weather wasn't all that great at the coast.

Rehab done.

Calories, didn't count but seems to be okay.

For some reason (not enough bedtime carbs?) had a lot of trouble sleeping. Made some toast. Out like a light.

Today gym and more shopping and some painting that I have been putting off for too long.

• Like 3

Sunday

Week review

Weight down 1.4 pounds. KEEP IT UP this time. Or rather KEEP IT DOWN next week!  And then some,  Emma! We need to match the car, fabulous wise. Ignore the Blerch!  (I like that idea by the way, thank you)

Gym 3x a week: yes

Walk daily: not on the really hot days. Mostly good.

Stretches: yes

Calories: Going back through my book, I did write down everything I ate, but not the calories. Fail mostly.

Bingewatching Agents of SHIELD. Don't have TV so have only seen pieces of episodes while wandering through nursing homes. I fear I am quite hooked on it. Bought it Friday night. Almost through first season.

I said yes. dammit. Friend referred me for a onetime performance of Rod Stewart. Fundraiser. Just spoke with the woman in charge and I might do it. I have not made a commitment at this point. Waiting till I actually get my hands on the music and rehearse with her. Find out exactly what she expects from me.

• Like 7

WOOT Congrats on weight loss!  That's so cool that you're seeing concrete results this early in the challenge - it bodes well for the next 5 weeks!

This new gig sounds pretty cool - are you not into doing it, or is it just the fact that it's filling up your time and using up energy?  

Hiya! I'm following along now too! Congratulations on losing weight during your first week! I love your goals, they are very realistic, especially since you're recovering from so much!

Nathan Fillion. (dreamy sighs) He was also in a movie called The Waitress with Keri Russell and was pretty adorable in that too. I used to have a tremendous Nathan crush. Now, alas, my fickle heart has moved on to Tom Hiddleston. :)  Celebrity crushes can be so cruel :)

• Like 2

Emma woke up feeling tired and draggy this morning and has been sneezing a lot the last couple of days so I went over her food journal. Yup. She apparently read this diet book on how you don't really need protein at every meal and since she doesn't like eating protein (I really have to force her to do it) she has not been eating the protein that her body needs. We had that talk, again, about how everyone's body is different and her body needs more protein than someone else's otherwise she gets tired and the hay fever starts up.  Sigh, sometimes that woman is so stubborn.

Emma is also feeling  a fair amount of pain in her shoulders, elbows and knees this morning so I am letting her skip the gym today. She is still going to do a light weight training at home and take a nice walk.

The mid rats idea has been working well. I think what Emma really needed was a "bookend". (Idea totally stolen from someone else here on the NF boards, thank you) An evening routine other than just staggering into the BOQ and falling into bed. She is getting better at staying up late so we have been able to create an evening routine which includes watching one (ONE) episode of a TV show, currently Agents of SHIELD, along with a cup of tea and her "sleeping pill", a piece or two of toast.

I had her try a couple of episodes of doyogawithme, but she still hates yoga. She is totally good with her PT stretches though, so I'm okay with that.

She is rearranging the furniture, again. One of her kids said that her hobby is rearranging furniture. I think he might be right. She's got the computer on top of the dresser so it is now a "standing desk". She showed me a web site, the minimalists, that one of her NF friends showed her. On the one hand, she really doesn't need anymore encouragement in the minimizing area, on the other hand, with all the changes in her life lately it makes sense to get rid of things that belonged to a way of life that doesn't exist anymore, at least for her.

On a sad note, we took the cat to the vet on Monday. She has been making funny sounds when she breathes and has not been very perky lately. The vet thinks the cancer has moved to her lungs and that she is in pain. Emma has been crying a bit on her way home after work every night wondering if the cat will still be alive when she gets there.

Many thanks to all the rebels here on Nerd Fitness. You help Emma feel less alone in her struggles and provide camaraderie through the forums which she does enjoy, not to mention all the information and ideas and encouragement which you guys with each other.

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your Cat, I know I'm dreading "that" day.

Protein affecting your hay fever? Never heard that one before, then again I don't suffer from allergies.

The best part of the forums is a encouragement a person receives here on the forums, I've meant people here that I would never have otherwise, and am stronger for it. Together we CAN do anything.

• Like 2