Stop/continue lifting or do something else?

Hey. So I just got back from a doctor (orthopedist) because I was there for my regular check up, because I have f.cked up back. And he said that I should swim and do some BW exercises for back and that I shouldn't lift heavy weight.. So right now, I really don't know what to do.. I am bulking on SL 5x5 with accessory and I like it, want to complete at least those 12 weeks, but on SL you have to lift heavy, you can't lift some light weights.. So I really don't know if I should continue working out in the gym, or if I should transfer to calisthenics or idk.. Would it be even possible to gain weight (of course mainly muscle) on calisthenics?? 

Oh god, fml..

Speaking from personal experience... Back injuries are not to be dicked around with, and strength training is not a race. If you've injured yourself, please follow your doctor's advice for recovery - the plates will patiently await your return and you'll make better gains when you're not compromising form to compensate for your injury.

If you have a pre-existing condition, like scoliosis, it may be possible to train "around" the condition and even improve it through heavy lifting, but guidance from a good physical therapist would be advisable. I have a friend on MFP who has made incredible progress this way despite major back issues. She's a badass beast, but she trains with endless patience and a healthy respect for her spine.

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Ask your doc for a referral to an expert on sports medicine, and get a second opinion.

Meanwhile, if the doc says no heavy lifting, then don't do heavy lifting.  Why would you go to an expensive professional for advice and then not do what s/he says?  Bulking can wait, but screwing up your back can make you miserable for months, or years, or even the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I think I explained myself wrong.. I had scoliosis when I was younger but now he says that it has gotten better.. 

Aaaah. May I suggest this thread for reading. This one has lupus, not scoliosis -- my mistake there -- but her takeaways have been the same. Patience and persistence, and working closely with good physical therapists to work out a plan that makes progress possible. I hope enough of the details are in the thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1202245-sweat-tears-and-the-sea-three-years-of-mfp

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous