• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IronChefEd

IronChefEd preps for his cruise

So the wife and I are going on a cruise at the end of September, and while I'm still a long ways off from looking good in a bathing suit, I'd like to at least look a little better by the time we get there.  With that in mind, here are the goals for this challenge.  I'm doing my own "mini" challenges as a way of shooting for some milestones I want/need to reach.  Maybe I'll call them "sub-goals" so I don't get confused with the Guild minis.  All graded on 100 points.

Strength: Strength training three times a week.  Lifting weights or BBWW.  3 pts STR, minus 10 pts for each week missing the goal.

Sub-goal: Do one unassisted chin-up and one unassisted dip.  My gym recently got one of those "assisted" pull-up/dip machines, and I haven't been able to do a pull-up... well, ever, really.  I'd like to be able to move my own body weight with no help.  +1 STR for each.

Endurance: Stamina training of at least 3 miles three times a week.  We're training for some races next year (anyone else doing the Disney Princess Half-Marathon weekend?) and setting this goal will help us continue to make sure we're posting a decent time.  3 pts STA, minus 10 points for each week missing the goal.

Sub-goal 1: Complete a half-marathon distance in under 3 hours.  My best is 2h46m, but that was a while ago.  +1 STA

Sub-goal 2: Complete a 10k distance in under an hour. This will be the toughest, as I need to shave about 12 minutes off my current best time.  But that's why they call it a challenge!  +1 STA

Diet: Two out of three daily meals Paleo, or at least one out of two for the days I sleep in a bit and have brunch instead ;-)  Also making smart choices on snacks whenever possible.  This shouldn't be that difficult, especially since I won't be travelling much this time, but if I don't have it down, I'll have less incentive to stick to it.  +3 CON, minus 10 pts for each week missing the goal.  

Accountability/Tracking: This one is for T2sarahconner, who challenged me to post at least 3 times a week this time around. I'm also going to start a battle log over in that section and do my best to enter some sort of note every couple days.  PLUS track as much as possible on DailyMile, which I've been using for years.  In order to keep it simple, the only part being scored will be my weekly posts on this thread.  +2 WIS, minus 10 points for each week... you get the idea.  

• Like 1

Great challenge, love the sub goals to challenge your self to be bikini ready!

Glad to see you are a least going to attempt to post this time. Nothing like having a shout out in your thread which is equivalent to a " yes, dear"

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun reward coming up in September! Is your wife working on you with these goals?  I recently saw a thing on the Disney Princess Half-Marathon and thought it looked awesome.  Anything over 10k totally scares me though, I have only ran one 10k. 

Sounds like a fun reward coming up in September! Is your wife working on you with these goals?  I recently saw a thing on the Disney Princess Half-Marathon and thought it looked awesome.  Anything over 10k totally scares me though, I have only ran one 10k. 

We're actually doing all three races: Royal Family 5K, Enchanted 10K, and Princess Half-Marathon, and she is training for them with me.  I've been running longer than she has, so she's got a slower pace than I do (and being half a foot shorter than me doesn't help that at all), but she's shaved almost two minutes off her mile time from last year.  Don't let the distance scare you - just like everything else, you work up to it.  It's painful for a day or two afterwards, but totally worth it.  And the course is so much fun!  You start in the Epcot parking lot, go all the way out to Magic Kingdom, up Main Street USA and through the castle, then out Frontierland and back through Epcot before finishing outside the park.  There are photo stops with all sorts of characters you can't usually get, such as the Princes and Mary Poppins with the Penguins.  Best of all: it's Florida, so it's almost totally flat!

• Like 1

Oh I hadnt thought about the elevation/flat part of it!  I live in Colorado so I wonder if the run would be easier for me!  LOL you have convinced me to research it more!

• Like 1

Didn't get to the gym today due to a plumber taking his sweet time getting here and getting the work done, so tomorrow is miles + weights. Then more miles (6.2 of them) on Saturday, and maybe more on Sunday just to get used to doing three days in a row.

Well, the best-laid plans...

Between the plumber taking his sweet time on Thursday and the mechanic taking his on Friday, I missed two days in a row this week. Fortunately I'm able to make them up over the weekend. Yesterday was a good 45-minute weight training session followed by 3 miles, and today will be at least another 3 miles, depending on how I'm feeling.

Week 1 results!

Strength: Three days strength training achieved.  I'm down (up?) to 40 lbs assistance on both my chin-up and dip, but that's only my one-rep best.  I usually do pyramid up sets for my weight days, but I may tweak that a little this week to see if I can achieve some better gains.

Stamina: Three days stamina training achieved, including a nice 10k walk yesterday.  No update on the time goals yet, but I have a 10k training run scheduled for Friday, so I'll see how much I can shave off my last one.

Diet: Stayed within constraints despite a couple nights out with limited food options.  Should be better this week when I have a little more control over what I'll be eating.

Accountability: Made a few posts here and did my best to keep the daily log current.  

As to my overall goal, I'm down a full 20 lbs on my quest to reach 200.  It's been almost 10 years since I weighed in that low, and experience told me the next 15 lbs to go will be some of the hardest, as I tend to "plateau" around 220 and can't seem to get below that, even though I know there's more weight I could lose.  May start picking some brains around here to see what the next steps should be.

Mid-week update!

Got my chin-up/dip resistance down to 30 lbs resistance.  Going to continue to go back for some extra sets to see if I can't get a little further this week.

Had a moment of divine insanity yesterday and decided to do my 3 miles on the outdoor track in 94-degree heat.  Not the smartest choice I've ever made...

Meals have been pretty good, for the most part.  What isn't paleo isn't too far off base, but there is still a little room for improvement.  The wife found several new recipes to try over the next week, and since she's the picky eater, her choosing them means she'll (probably) like them.

Need to be more diligent in logging my daily activities, but at least I'm coming here to keep the updates coming.

Sounds like your challenge is going great so far, keep it up. 

Where are is your cruise going to? My wife and I are taking our first cruise together this October(she has been on cruises before but not me). We are going to the Bahamas.

We depart Port Canaveral, sail down to the Bahamas, stop by Castaway Cay (private island), and spend a day at sea before returning to PC.  It's only my second cruise - took one when I was about 12 years old - so it's been quite a while.  Hope I don't get seasick like I did on the last one...

Sounds like a nice trip. We are leaving from Baltimore and stopping in Port Canaveral before making two stops in the Bahamas and sailing back up the east coast. I have been a bit worried about sea sickness too. We got a rear facing balcony cabin and I've been told the front and back of the boat have the most movement. I don't normally get motion sickness but that sure would ruin a vacation quick. 

Hope you enjoy your trip and the sea sickness doesn't return.

Yesterday's gym session included three unassisted dips! I was at the end of my workout but hadn't put that particular exercise in as I've been trying to vary my routine to keep myself from growing too accustomed to certain things. I walked by the rack and said "Eh, just give it a try." So I did, and was able to crank out three reps. Now that I know I can do them, I'm going to start putting them in on a regular basis. My chin-up is down to 20 lbs assistance, so hopefully in a week or two I do that by myself as well.

This morning was a 5k with the wife to get her back into running on roads. She broke her foot last year and has been slowly working on getting back to race-ready condition. We came in at 48:23 and beat most of the local high school football team by a good three minutes

Week 2 in the books!

Strength: Three days strength training, and as noted above, I managed to complete three unassisted dips last week. I added them to my regimen today, and although I'm only doing sets of 3-5 reps, it's more than I was doing this time last month. Getting closer to doing an unassisted chin-up. I bet I could manage one now, but my form wouldn't be very good. Might try that towards the end of the week.

Stamina : Three days stamina training achieved, including a competition 5k on Saturday with the wife. Got my 3 miles down to 31:30 on Thursday, and I'm going to try to drop that a little more this week before I do a training 10k on Saturday.

Diet: Maintaining at least two out of three, and trying some new Paleo recipes to add in some variety.

Accountability: The daily log isn't working out so well, but I'm keeping up with this thread, so it's not a complete loss.

• Like 1

Meant to post this yesterday, but meetings ran long.

I've started using MyFitnessPal to track what I'm eating and see where I can make improvements.  Cause diet is 80-90% of the battle, right?  It's been eye-opening, to say the least.  I thought I had been doing pretty well, but looking at the numbers gives me a better perspective on certain things.  It lets me know where I can make some changes for the better.

You are doing great keeping up. It is eye opening when you log everything right? I always do better when I track on MFP. Even too much healthy isn't great. It really helps me with carbs and calories.

Workout goals for the week have been attained, so today and tomorrow would be bonus points (or calories burned, I guess). MFP has become my daily tracker in lieu of the others, and I've tracked food and exercise every day since I started using it in Tuesday. Somehow I've managed to come in under my calorie goal every day except yesterday, where I was only off by about 100, so it's a useful tool to help keep me honest.

Week 3:

All goals met or exceeded last week (five days of cardio in some form!), with a couple notes:

-Still struggling to get one unassisted chin-up, but I'm going to give it another go today at the beginning of my workout so I'm not burnt out when I try it.  

-Did eight miles in 1:35:30 yesterday.  I was having a good leg day and could have kept going for the 13.1 mini-goal, but time just wasn't on my side yesterday.  May carve out time on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, when I don't have other things demanding my attention.  The 10k goal is looking less likely, but I'm going to keep working towards it.

-Diet and Accountability: I started using MyFitnessPal on Monday, and managed to stay under my calorie goal every day except one (and I was only off by 200, on Friday for the wife's birthday party).  That has become my daily tracker, so if you're on there, look me up!  I've been pretty diligent about posting here to keep everyone updated, and having the daily tracker helps keep that on my radar.

I had an unofficial weigh-in yesterday, and I'm down almost 20 lbs since I got back on the fitness wagon.  Still a long way to go, but even little results are nice to see.