• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

MINI CHALLENGE: Starship Nerdiprise, Captain's Log

WELCOME ABOARD THE STARSHIP NERDIPRISE!

Well..... almost.

You see, a lot can happen in a short amount of time.  One day, you're exploring the galaxy, the next...

tumblr_ms0xfrAruW1s67vyfo6_r1_500.gif

And so, here we are, on some unexplored and potentially hostile planet, with naught but our wits and ingenuity to save us... and no ship to speak of.  But we are Assassins, and we do not let such little things stand in out way.  It's time to band together and Rebuild the Starship Nerdiprise!

After all, we don't want to stay here, now do we?

How it Works:

In our efforts to build a better, stronger, faster ship, we're going to be working in mini-teams.  Every team will chase its own goals, but all teams' contributions will ultimately aid in getting our ship spaceworthy.  As you select your team, think about your main focus this challenge.  You may find that working with one of these groups compliments your main goals and enhances your performance in the area which matters most to you. The teams are:

tumblr_inline_na7w3gVKLo1sz2ky4.gif

Engineering:

Getting the ship functioning - and keeping it that way - involves long hours of thankless work.  You may belong on this team if your primary aims circle around endurance and stamina, busting out high rep counts, and amazing your peers with the fact that you can keep going and going and going and.... you get the picture.

WVsWGhV.gif

Weapons/Shields:

Those who are responsible for the ship's offensive and defensive capabilities are going to focus on making it (and themselves) as strong as possible.  You may belong on this team if you are primarily concerned with growing stronger, chasing PRs, progressing to more difficult exercises, and astounding those around you with your physical might.

tumblr_mn821tBXP71ssr9bco1_500.gif

Med Bay:

We cannot forget the extremely important role played by the medics in everyone's well-being.  You may belong on this team if you wish to pursue higher levels of flexibility and mobility over the course of this challenge.

giphy.gif

Galley:

The ship's crew won't get very far if they're passing out from malnutrition.  Underrated but vitally important, the galley team keeps everyone well-fueled to do their work.  You may belong on this team if your main goals at this time circle around cooking and eating better foods or exploring other food and water related issues.

big-bang-theory-star-trek-tv-shows-tv-94

Away Team:

This group is the first to be called upon when something... unusual needs to be done.  The away team will have an opportunity to encounter many different things over the course of this challenge.  You may belong on this team if you like chasing shiny things.  ;)  Also, if you like HIIT.  You have been warned.

As mentioned above, all teams will work together to build the ship.  No single team is better than any of the others - however, we all succeed or fail together.  All teams will have to complete their various goals to ensure we are ready to return to our exploration of the universe.  If any single area of the ship is neglected, the Nerdiprise will not fly..... and we may just rot and die on this rock.  No one wants that, right?  Right!  So let's get to building!

How We Build:

• Each team will have a large, overarching challenge to complete, as well as several additional, optional bonus tasks.  Each task completed will add points to that team's score, signifying the % of their work that has been completed.

• Each team must earn 10,000 points in total.  Up to 6,000, or 60%, may be earned simply by working on the overarching challenge assigned to your group.  The remainder will be up for grabs as additional tasks become available.

• Each team will earn 3 stat points for their overall contribution.  3 more will be available for grabs by participating in bonus tasks.  The stats you'll improve will depend on your team(s) and which bonus challenges you choose to take on.
    • ​For the base challenge, stat points are capped at 3.  You can choose from the stats associated with the groups you join and split them in whatever way you feel best represents your contribution.  Fractions/decimals are fine, but the total must not exceed 3.

• 3 additional points will become available as new tasks crop up.  Again, you will be able to choose which ones you take on based on your team choice any given day.  Once again, you will effectively choose where you want to improve, but again, bonus stats will be similarly capped at 3, regardless of how many teams you assist.  Fractions/decimals are fine.

• If you stay with one team for the duration, it is entirely possible to add all 6 points to only 1 or 2 stats.

• An Assassin may switch teams as often as once per day; however, please work with one team at a time and note that the stat points earned will be capped at 6 regardless of how many teams any given person assists over the course of the challenge.  Do consider that staying on one team may aid you in greatly improving your performance in one focus area; however, you may certainly dabble as much as you like.

• All 50,000 points (10,000 for each team) must be earned in order to ensure that the Nerdiprise can fly at the end of the challenge.  If any single team's numbers come up short... no stats will be distributed.  We all win or lose together.

• REGARDING OUTSIDE PARTICIPATION: Members of other guilds (excluding recruits) are welcome to participate in this mini if they wish; however, we cannot award additional stats to non-Assassins, so it would be just for fun.  If you're from another guild and want to join in, go ahead and start contributing... and introduce yourself, we'd love to get to know you!  If you are a Recruit, please focus on completing your first challenge right now.  We promise we will have more fun minis in the future, so level up and join us next time!

tumblrm1d5rsqvqs1rs0h5zo1500.gif

Ready to build?  Good!  Read on for details.

• Like 13

Below, please find the details for overarching team challenges and points.  Remember that you are free to work with different teams, but no more than one team per day.

ENGINEERING:

• Those who work primarily with the Engineering team will earn +3 STA at the end of the challenge.

• The engineering team will be doing 
     to build up the ship.  1 rep = 1 point, which means that up to 6,000 burpees may be done to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Engineering team member who completes a circuit of the NF Beginner Bodyweight 3 times through without stopping to rest can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

WEAPONS/SHIELDS:

• Those who work primarily with the Weapons/Shields team will earn +3 STR at the end of the challenge.

• The weapons/shields team will focus on strength PRs.  A PR (whether this is completing a new, more difficult exercise OR completing a new, higher rep set of an exercise) is worth 25 points when it is documented in the Weapons/Shields thread.  In this instance, PRs with weights are permitted, along with bodyweight PRs.  This means that up to 240 PRs may be documented to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Weapons/Shields team member who posts a form check video of a bodyweight exercise to the Weapons/Shields thread can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

MED BAY:

• Those who work primarily with the Med Bay team will earn +3 DEX at the end of the challenge.

• The Med Bay team will focus on flexibility work.  Progress will be tracked in total minutes spent on dedicated stretching or mobility exercises.  1 minute = 1 point, which means that up to 6,000 minutes of stretching may be documented to build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Med Bay team member who posts a progress picture showing flexibility improvement (for instance, a splits or backbend progress picture) can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

GALLEY:

• Those who work primarily with the Galley team will earn +3 CON at the end of the challenge.

• The Galley team will focus primarily on nutrition.  Every time a Galley team member posts a new recipe that they have made, complete with photos and their personal review, on the Galley thread, they will earn 100 points.  This means that up to 60 new recipes may be posted to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Galley team member who feeds their recipe to a taste-tester and documents the taste-tester's thoughts in the Galley thread can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

AWAY TEAM:

• Those who work primarily with the Away team will earn +3 CHA at the end of the challenge.

• The Away team members will earn points by completing the Workout of the Week as provided by the Starship Captains on the Away Team thread.  Each time the workout is completed IN FULL and documented in the Away Team thread, an Away Team member will earn 100 points.  This means that up to 60 WOWs may be done collectively by the Away Team to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• There are NO BONUS POINTS available for this team at this time.  However, opportunities to earn your remaining points will certainly crop up as the challenge progresses.

>>TRACK YOUR PROGRESS HERE<<

In addition to the above, keep your eyes on the Captain's Log thread.  We are, after all, in unfamiliar territory, and we should expect that things will go wrong... a quick response will be needed from all teams to ensure that our building stays on schedule... and of course, there will be points up for grabs when this happens, too.

Questions?  Concerns?  Gif spam?  Lay it on us!

• Like 5

Team Thread Links:

Nerdiprise Build Progress:

Engineering:

100%
100%

Weapons/Shields:

100%
100%

Med Bay:

100%
100%

Galley:

100%
100%

Away Team:

100%
100%
  • Like 1

Crap, I'm torn between Engineering and Away Team... Ugh.....

Engineering may or may not have been created with you in mind............. ;)

You can switch between them every few days, if you like!  You're not locked into any single team. :D

• Like 3

With the weapons\shields team do we post our PRs on the spreadsheet and just update it kind of like last challenge?

Please note exactly what your PR was in the Weapons/Shields thread.... this will also let your colleagues celebrate with you!  As for the spreadsheet, you will simply count your NUMBER of PRs. :)

• Like 1

You can switch between them every few days, if you like!  You're not locked into any single team. :D

LOL, well that's an ego stroke.

When I get a chance to get home and see the work out of the week I shall make a decision. If the Away Team has more fun workouts, then sorry, but I'm gonna try and kill myself. At least until the Tough Mudder :D

• Like 2

LOL, well that's an ego stroke.

When I get a chance to get home and see the work out of the week I shall make a decision. If the Away Team has more fun workouts, then sorry, but I'm gonna try and kill myself. At least until the Tough Mudder :D

Ha!

Well, the Away Team only gets one workout per week.  But please, pick whatever interests you most!

• Like 1

Just to clarify, we could only do the workout of the week once? Or can you do it more than once per person?

You can do it as many times as you like within the span of that week.  Daily, if you want!  More than once a day might be pushing it, but I won't forbid it.

• Like 1

So, the switching between teams thing...we pick one that's our primary focus, but we can add points to other teams as well?  Looking at the options, Galley seems to fit best in what my goals for the challenge are, but I've also been working on improving my splits.  So, I would primarily be galley with my food, but I could post stuff about my splits progress too?  Or am I confused about how that works?

Crap, I'm torn between Engineering and Away Team... Ugh.....

I plan to start in Engineering and volunteer for any interesting Away Team missions that may come up.

• Like 2

So, the switching between teams thing...we pick one that's our primary focus, but we can add points to other teams as well?  Looking at the options, Galley seems to fit best in what my goals for the challenge are, but I've also been working on improving my splits.  So, I would primarily be galley with my food, but I could post stuff about my splits progress too?  Or am I confused about how that works?

You can be on as many teams as you like, but not more than one at a time.  To make it easily measurable, let's say that people can switch teams no more often than once per day.  SO if you want to spend Monday with galley, Tuesday with Med Bay, Wednesday with Away Team..... that's all you. :)

• Like 1

CAPTAIN'S LOG UPDATE:

Thank you all for your thoughtful questions!  I have added an FAQ section to each team's thread to hopefully address most areas of confusion.  The team switching rules have also been updated in the main thread to clarify that you may switch teams once per day.

I am watching all of the team threads as well as this one for additional questions as they crop up.  Good luck!

• Like 5

CAPTAIN'S LOG UPDATE:

Thank you all for your thoughtful questions!  I have added an FAQ section to each team's thread to hopefully address most areas of confusion.  The team switching rules have also been updated in the main thread to clarify that you may switch teams once per day.

I am watching all of the team threads as well as this one for additional questions as they crop up.  Good luck!

Thanks for the update for letting us switch around.  Assassins like to do All The Things :)  Now that I know I can do more than one it makes the decision much easier.  Off to the Away Team for the crazy HIIT I'm craving then I can drag myself to Med for recovery the rest of the week.

It looks like the Away Team will be my jam, with Galley visits once (or twice) a week. I may have some ideas already :D

That's my plan too :)

• Like 2