• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Engineering Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS

Work on the Nerdiprise is really coming along,and what's even better, it seems as though we may even get some financial assistance from an external source... which is awesome, but it does come with a caveat.  Of course!

A Vulcan diplomat has unexpectedly arrived to make site visit before aid is offered, and we need to make a good impression! This will require work to stop until the formal dinner and festivities are complete.  Let's all band together and make a good impression!

giphy.gif

HOW IT WORKS:

1. Until the festivities are complete, no teams may work.  Complete the preparations before continuing with your daily Nerdiprise building duties.
  2. To wine and dine the diplomat, each team must prepare a 4 course meal consisting of an appetizer, an entree, a side dish, and a dessert.  The same person can make all 4, or 4 different people can collaborate and each make one, or some combination of the above!
  3. For simplicity's sake, please stick to ONE team for the duration of this mini.
  4. Post your full menu on the Captain's Log thread.  Provide recipes and photos.  You can provide links to your team thread if you want to post them individually there or include everything in one post here, but please do not split your team's submission between multiple posts on the Captain's Log.
  5. The Nerdiprise captains will select the best menu once all 5 have been submitted, and that team will get a boost to their points when the event ends!
  6. Remember that this is optional!  Take care of yourself, focus on your goals, but if you have time for a bit of extra cooking........ your friends can use the help.    :)

giphy.gif

---

Hey, guys!  Awfully quiet around here......

Medics are done with their work - would you guys like some help with the current mini?  I'm planning on cooking up a storm the next few days, anyway. :D

I think everyone from Engineering is on vacation or recovering from Tribbles and Q.  Any help would be appreciated :)

Fair enough!  Well, I've recruited Urgan to help me, and I think she will be helping with the app at the very least.

As for me, I made a rather hearty dish last night:

20150824_200930_zpskkkyv4vu.jpg

Chicken Enchilada Quinoa

Follow the link for the recipe.  Makes 6 HUGE servings if you use it as an entree.... or 12 smaller servings if used as a side.  We can go either way with this one, depending on what else we can come up with........

Do you guys need any help over here? I can come up with a side?

I thiiiiiiiiiink we're using my quinoa as a side and Urgan was planning on contributing an app (scallops) and a main course (chicken)?  So we need a dessert especially......

My app submission is Seared Scallops

Scallops 3

Nothing to it, really. 

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp butter

1 lb Scallops

1/2 cup white wine

1/2 tsp parsley

salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt the butter on medium high heat

2. Deposit scallops in skillet and let them cook 30 seconds - 1 minute

3. Flip the scallops, wait another 30 seconds 

4. Deglaze pan with white wine

5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper 

6. Serve topped with parsley

• Like 1

BROWNIES!!!!!

brownies.jpg

I accidentally discovered the wonder of from scratch using cocoa powder brownies once when desperate for chocolatey noms and too lazy to go to the store (I usually have all this stuff around the house.)

Recipe:

Ingredients:

10 tbsp butter (1 stick + 2 TBSP, the original calls for unsalted but I like to use salted and then I don't add the salt later)

1 1/4 cups sugar

3/4 cup + 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder (I use the standard Hersheys stuff)

1/4 tsp salt  only add this if you are using unsalted butter!
1 TSP vanilla extract

2 large cold eggs

1/2 cup all purpose flour

To make this you need: 8 inch square baking pan and a double-boiler (or you can do the water in a sauce pan and put a heat safe bowl of some kind in it that is big enough to not fall into your pan but will let the steam from the water hit the bottom of the bowl; you heat the chocolate through indirect heat from the water), parchment paper to line baking pan

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Put water in either the bottom pan of your double boiler or into a saucepan (about an inch of water is plenty.) Put your pan with water on the stove over high heat to let it start getting hot while you measure out all the things!

2. In the top pan of your double boiler, or into your heatproof bowl, add:  butter (I like to slice this into smaller slices so it melts faster), cocoa powder, sugar, and salt if you are using that. I love mise en place so I also measure out the flour into a separate bowl, put the two eggs in a little bowl so they wont roll off and break somewhere, and get my vanilla extract and measuring spoon out and nearby so I can grab them easily.

3. Put your double boiler/ heatproof mixing bowl on top of the hopefully now hot water you have heating up on the stove. You can reduce the heat on the stove to medium if the water is boiling and ready to go. Stir your cocoa/sugar/butter mixture with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until all the butter is melted and everything has combined and forms a smooth ish paste (it won't be totally "smooth" per se and you'll still see the grain of the sugar but it will form an even batter!) If you poke it with a finger it should be uncomfortably hot and you have to pull your finger out right away. Now remove this from heat and sit on your kitchen counter to let it cool a bit.

4. While your HOT HOT chocolate cools a bit, cut a piece of parchment paper big enough to completely line the sides and bottom of your baking pan and put in your baking pan so it's ready to go when you are done with your batter.

5. When your batter has cooled slightly to warm and not HOT, stir in your vanilla extract with your same wooden spoon.

6. Stir in the cold eggs VIGOROUSLY one at a time. Mix it like you mean business, letting the first egg completely mix in before you add the next one. The batter will magically transform to thick and shiny and smooth brownie batter. So shiny! Magic!

7. Stir in the flour. They stress that you should make sure you don't over mix this. You should be able to have the flour fully incorporated and your batter smooth and even with only 40 strokes. This you can do slowly/ doesn't have to be vigorous beating like with the egg.

8. Pour this now completed batter into the parchment paper lined baking pan. You might need to smooth it out a little to get it even since it is thick. It might be in a slightly weird not-square shape on the corners because of the parchment paper and that is totally fine!

9. Put this awesomeness in the preheated oven! The recipe claims this will only need to cook for 20-25 min but mine always seems to take more like 35 to 40. I start checking it at 20. Insert a toothpick in the middle. If your toothpick is completely coated in still liquid batter give it another 5 min and check. And keep checking it like that every 5 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out slightly moist. (These are gooey and fudgey so it won't come out completely clean or if it did you waaaay overcooked them!

10. Let brownies cool until you can touch them OK. I like to eat at least one while they are in that warm but not so hot it will burn me phase. EAT ALL THE THINGS. BE HAPPY! NOM NOM NOM!

Original recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/best-cocoa-brownies-108346

• Like 1

Hi Engineers! Med Bay is completed so I thought I'd give you guys a hand with the BBWW; I guess it's only apropos that I wind up here eventually since I'm an engineer at my day job. :lol: Managed my three non-stop circuits in 11:11.18! May do another round tomorrow if I'm feeling able.

(And may I say, I am not surprised you guys are done with all the burpees. ;) And I'm relieved that you are, truth be told!!)

• Like 2

Did my last yoga for med bay yesterday so today and going forward I will do the bonus work for engineering (1 set of 3 rounds BBWW).  Wish we could do more than one a day for points...but I'm in till the end.  Hopefully many others will join us!

If anyone wants a break from burpees there is a crazy HIIT up in the Away Team. I guess there could be a few burpees in it actually :(. Anyway, I'm happy to switch out my regular strength training for some BBWW if we could get a little HIIT love :). Will do burpees for the cause too!

It looks like all the burpees are done (can only do 6k points worth) so it's all about the BBWW now. They need a lot of people to do this a LOT (since we're restricted to one-a-day). Let's hope whatever mini pops up helps 'propel' everyone towards 100%! I'll fit in a BBWW today.

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

• Like 2

One BBWW completed for Engineering today!  Plus 47 burpees.  Not that they count anymore but I felt I had to share that I did some today since they were a "birthday gift" to me from my xfit class this morning (1 burpee=1 year).  I was hoping everyone would help - share the love kind of a deal.  But no.  All me.  The gift I gave to myself.  Oh the joys of aging!

• Like 1

It looks like all the burpees are done (can only do 6k points worth) so it's all about the BBWW now. They need a lot of people to do this a LOT (since we're restricted to one-a-day). Let's hope whatever mini pops up helps 'propel' everyone towards 100%! I'll fit in a BBWW today.

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

I'll help with the BBWW then.  Yes, I really hope a mini pops up soon.  The Away Team needs 13 more rounds of HIIT and this current one is ridonkulous.  

• Like 1

When this mini first popped up, I looked at it and said "Next".  Burpees?  Not yet for me.  I was (and still am) doing the NF BBWW, but I was taking well over an hour to get through three sets.  No way I was going to be able to do one, much less three sets without any rest.  So off I went to Weapons/Shields, but this was tingling my brain.  How fast can I get through three sets?  On 8/2 I did the workout for time.  The fastest I could get through it was 53 minutes.  Over the next several weeks my time improved, as did the difficulty of the workout as I increased the difficulty of the exercises.

Today I seriously went for it.  Started my Amazon Prime 'Disturbed' playlist, hit Go on the timer and got started.

Since I was doing this workout for time, I did normal squats instead of the full range of motion deep squats I had been doing, and I dropped the extra dead hangs I added to the routine until later this afternoon.  I did each set without any rest in between exercises, but did stop for a quick breath after the jumping jacks.  It was a very short break just to catch my breath, but it was a break.  I gave it one heck of a shot.

On the bright side, and it is a very bright side, I completed the workout in 23 minutes.  That is 30 minutes faster than I could do just one month ago, while doing more advanced exercises than I was then, so... Win!  I never would have even attempted this if it were not for the Engineering Team Mini.  I so appreciate all the thought and hard work that goes into these challenges.  I am leveling up  :)

• Like 9