• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Weapons/Shields Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

WEAPONS/SHIELDS:

WVsWGhV.gif

Those who are responsible for the ship's offensive and defensive capabilities are going to focus on making it (and themselves) as strong as possible.  You may belong on this team if you are primarily concerned with growing stronger, chasing PRs, progressing to more difficult exercises, and astounding those around you with your physical might.

• Those who work primarily with the Weapons/Shields team will earn +3 STR at the end of the challenge.

• The weapons/shields team will focus on strength PRs.  A PR (whether this is completing a new, more difficult exercise OR completing a new, higher rep set of an exercise) is worth 25 points when it is documented in the Weapons/Shields thread.  In this instance, PRs with weights are permitted, along with bodyweight PRs.  This means that up to 240 PRs may be documented to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Weapons/Shields team member who posts a form check video of a bodyweight exercise to the Weapons/Shields thread can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

>>TRACK YOUR PROGRESS HERE<<

Answers to FAQ:

• Please make a note of what exactly your PR was in this thread.  Did your first pistol squat?  It counts.  Managed 8 reps instead of 7 of push-ups?  It counts.  Bench pressed 100 pounds when your previous max was 95?  It counts!

• You may make multiple PRs per day, as you are likely to work on multiple exercises per day.

• In the spreadsheet, count the NUMBER of PRs and form check videos.  Do not note what the exact PR was on the sheet - do that here instead.

• Like 1

Let me verify that I have this correct.  Over the next couple of days I document PR's for squats, push ups, kettlebell swings and TGU's.  Then I enter the number 4 on the log.  When I achieve a new PR in any of those movements, I increase the number on the log by one.  A form check vid will be entered as 1, 2....

I also note my PR's in this thread.

Correct?

• Like 1

Let me verify that I have this correct.  Over the next couple of days I document PR's for squats, push ups, kettlebell swings and TGU's.  Then I enter the number 4 on the log.  When I achieve a new PR in any of those movements, I increase the number on the log by one.  A form check vid will be entered as 1, 2....

I also note my PR's in this thread.

Correct?

You've got it!

As a note, just make sure that even the first PR you record is a true PR over your previous performance.... you know what your last max was!

For example, yesterday I hit a PR of 74lbs on bench press (I know, I know, tiny.....).  The mini challenge hadn't started yet.  If I join this team and do 74lbs again today, I CANNOT call that a PR.  If I do 75, though, that's fair game. :D

You count the number of PRs (4 in your case) and number of videos (1, 2, etc) just as you stated.  Remember that form checks must be for BODYWEIGHT exercises, although PRs can be weighted exercises.

• Like 1

I'm in! 

giphy.gif

I am thinking that I will use my BW workout as I am trying to increase my PRs on:

Dumbbell Rows (by weight)  25 lb yesterday

Bulgarian Split Squats (by reps) 7 yesterday

Close Push ups - by reps AND by lower inclines  8 reps on the 3rd stair yesterday

Horizontal Pulls - by leverage - yesterday, 12 with feet centered in doorway

Plank - by incline leverage @ 30 seconds (2nd step yesterday)

Side Plank - by time (30 seconds/side yesterday)

Dunno if I will post videos, though.  I'm internet shy.  Maybe with a paper bag over my head? 

• Like 4

Lol no bag! Its ok no pressure :)

And ohhh ok we can have multiple PRs thnx

I think i finally understand (need coffe for lunch)

• Like 1

Dunno if I will post videos, though.  I'm internet shy.  Maybe with a paper bag over my head? 

Hazard has made some videos with a towel over his head...... you would not be the first. :D

Incidentally, I will mostly live over in the Med Bay this challenge, but I'm going to pop over here on deadlift days to encourage myself to break through some plateaus. :D

• Like 1

Is the form checks where you would put the name of exercise you did or where would you log that?

The name of the exercise goes here in this thread.  Describe what you did.

In the spreadsheet, just put a number.  This should be the number of form check videos you post.  For example, if you do 5 videos this week, you will enter the number "5" in the form check column. :)

• Like 1

I'm assuming besting your running time doesn't count? ;)

Looks like I'll be continuing my AMRAPs I mean PR on the following:

# of inverted rows (15)

# of standard push ups (15)

duration of standard plank (68 sec)

duration of handstand against a wall (10 sec)

If I get my resistance bands soon, I may be able to tackled assisted pull ups!

Let's do this!

tumblr_inline_nok9s6Apyb1t8uo2l_540.gif

• Like 3

I'm almost embarrassed to post my first PR for this challenge.  But I've been working on achieving it for awhile and kind of proud of meeting my goal of getting it done for the start of this Six Week Challenge.

Turkish Get Up - 15 lb kettlebell for each side.

Previous PR was balancing a shoe on my fist.

• Like 5

I'm almost embarrassed to post my first PR for this challenge.  But I've been working on achieving it for awhile and kind of proud of meeting my goal of getting it done for the start of this Six Week Challenge.

Turkish Get Up - 15 lb kettlebell for each side.

Previous PR was balancing a shoe on my fist.

No shame.  TGUs are tough to do well!  Props!!

• Like 2

Just curious.....what exactly does PR stand for?

Personal Record. When you set a new record.

Here I am, reporting for duty! My challenge at the moment is to create a training sampler video, so I'll have some material for form checks, and I'll be working on PRs for lots of exercises and bodyweight movements already. Pistol squats? More like rocket launcher squats :P

• Like 3

I didn't think I'd be up for the mini this time, but...this is just too perfect.

My PR attempts will be on squats, bench, overhead press, and deadlift. I scored a 2lb Bench PR (72lbs) and a 2.5lb deadlift pr (165) tonight.

• Like 3

This sounds like a great mini for me - I'm trying to get myself strong enough to do standard pushups in this current challenge. My PR for a standard pushup is 3.

I also want to continue working on my plank time - current max is 3:05. I'll add bulgarian split squats from the Nerdwarts challenge - my max was 50. I will also add bench press to this - my PR is 75 pounds.

XqHrUf7OEa5rO.gif

• Like 2

Hey tenaciousglee just curious what do you plan on working on for your PR? I havent decided yet myself

Hey! First up will be unweighted pull-ups. Then maybe a pistol squat. I did several weeks of pistol progressions, but never could quit get the hang of them. Handstand push-ups would be cool, too. My current PR is 1...

For weighted stuff, I'm thinking deadlift, overhead press, and floor press. I need to go check my previous bests!!

• Like 2

Personal Record. When you set a new record.

Here I am, reporting for duty! My challenge at the moment is to create a training sampler video, so I'll have some material for form checks, and I'll be working on PRs for lots of exercises and bodyweight movements already. Pistol squats? More like rocket launcher squats :tongue:

Thank you!

Shall-We-Begin-Star-Trek.gif

As for my PR's today, I increased my pylometric box jump to 12 per set, from last week's 10.and I did 3x10 2-step jumps, when before I've only done one set.

Now how do I post a video in the thread? I know how to post a link, but I want the video to actually be in the thread.   Hazard showed me how I'm good :)

Honestly...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

This is an easy one for me this week as I literally just joined a gym. Leveling up from BBWW to barbell training!

This, yesterday I did my first ever barbell Squats and Presses and my first Deadlifts in years.

So, actual numbers (KGs):

Squat

20x5x3

30x5x1

40x2x1

Press

20x5x3

30x5x3

Deadlift

40x5x3

(I had to use two 10 plates in order to get the correct height)

As you can see I was taking it pretty easy as I was a total total noob and I want to ensure I get the form right, so I will be going back over the chapters in Starting Strength and next gym day I will also record for form. 

Going off to add these to the spreadsheet :)

Question... Do I add a new entry for each entry on the spreadsheet, or just update my one entry each time?

• Like 2

This is an easy one for me this week as I literally just joined a gym. Leveling up from BBWW to barbell training!

This, yesterday I did my first ever barbell Squats and Presses and my first Deadlifts in years.

So, actual numbers (KGs):

Squat

20x5x3

30x5x1

40x2x1

Press

20x5x3

30x5x3

Deadlift

40x5x3

(I had to use two 10 plates in order to get the correct height)

As you can see I was taking it pretty easy as I was a total total noob and I want to ensure I get the form right, so I will be going back over the chapters in Starting Strength and next gym day I will also record for form. 

Going off to add these to the spreadsheet :)

Question... Do I add a new entry for each entry on the spreadsheet, or just update my one entry each time?

Oh man, with Starting Strength you're gonna make sooo many PRs for the next couple months. So how did it feel  to squat and press? Form is really important, no doubt about it. 

Edit: My understanding is one entry per Assassin is the way to go. 

It felt weird and hard but I felt great after. I'm pretty happy with my squat and deadlift. I most want to check my press form. I will post a vid next workout but It's gonna have to be saturday as I have physio Thurs and got cinema tix fri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1