• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Weapons/Shields Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

Managed a new PR on the plank - 3:25! I think it may be a bit before I can top that number again. Shaky abs!

Now I have a new goal for next week :)

Star%20Trek%20Shields.gif

• Like 2

Goober Noob Question - if we are doing progressive sets, so for example split squats, 8 - 8 - 7 Wednesday and then 8 - 8 - 8 today, does that count as a PR? Or does it only count when I go up to 9? If the progressive sets count, then I have a few more additions, as of now, I am only putting in the three that I mentioned.

I'm pretty sure that it's whenever we do a bit more than we could the day before.

For my challenge, by the end of the first two weeks, I am trying to do one set of each exercise of the modified workout. So I am trying to do at least one more of each, or hold the plank longer every day. The mini's, to my understanding, are mostly to give us that extra little push on days we might otherwise say 'screw it'.

Also, in the weapons mini, it's a bit more difficult to earn the amount of points we need as a group to get the ship off the ground, so I think the idea is that each little bit counts. Especially since we're all at different levels. Some folks might be able to do a handstand push up, but others are recovering from an injury or pushing against a disability. This way we don't have to all be at some sort of Ironman level to contribute (I would be sitting on the sidelines if that were so, just watching.)

• Like 2

Okay, reporting with some PRs!

• 9 archer ring rows with lefft hand (up from 8)
  • first of any sort of one-armed push-up - I've tried all sorts before, but today I managed a one-arm knee push-up with a 5# counterweight in my left hand held over my back. I managed partial reps without the weight and with straddle variations etc., but this one my first and only one true rep

I got my iron cross on the rings up to 40 degrees (long way to go until I'm near 90 degrees though, which is a proper iron cross - which I think is a PR but I'm not really sure so I don't think I can count that!

• Like 2

I upped my plank time to 37 seconds, previously 35 seconds.

I did 14 reps of the dumbbell rows with 14lb dumbbell, previously 12.

I did 22 squats, previously 21.

I did 11 push-ups with the stack of yoga blocks under my chest, previously 10.

• Like 4

Plitog from Engineering... just dropping by to recalibrate a few isolinear chips.

I increased two of my PRs from my earlier numbers at Nerdwarts.

Push-ups went from 24 to 26.

Wall sits went from 133 seconds to 150 seconds.

• Like 3

Since I couldn't reach my PRs, I'm uploading two form check videos!!

Your posture is great!

But your depth is lacking.  You performed partial pushups, using only the upper range of motion.  Working the entire range of motion is important for your pushup strength development.  Also, you're elbows are pushing out perpendicular to your body.  Like a 'T' shape.  Partial depth and flaring elbows are indicators that your arms and/or chest aren't strong enough yet for this level of pushup.

At this stage, you should consider doing Incline pushups, using a chair/table/counter/etc -- at a height at which you can complete the full range of motion for at least 3 reps.  That means a height where you can touch your chest to the thing (counter/table/chair/stool/floor) that you're doing the pushups on.   Work on increasing those 3 full reps until you can get about 7-10 full reps, and then progress to a lower height.

--

Goober Noob Question - if we are doing progressive sets, so for example split squats, 8 - 8 - 7 Wednesday and then 8 - 8 - 8 today, does that count as a PR?

I wouldn't count that for myself as a PR.

That doesn't mean it isn't one.  If hitting an extra rep on a third set is important to you, then I don't see any harm in you counting it.

--

• Like 2

It's like Whack-A-Mole, except with tribbles :)

Today was my first day of attempting real push ups in my BBWW.  Completed a total of 11.  Eleven Tribbles Whacked (or should I say assassinated?) 

• Like 2

All hands on deck!  We've got trouble!  Or should I say, we've got tribbles............

They meant 50 from each of us, right?  (EDIT:  500 :lol:)

Standard Push-Ups.  I broke mine up into two sets, 30+20.  Four points of contact with the floor at the top of the motion, eight at the bottom.

EDIT:  Okay.  I get it.  500 Push-Ups from this team.  No problem.  Today is a rest day.   :)  I will be editing them in as I go.

10+10+10+10+10 Diamond Push-ups.  15h35; 15h41; 15h47; 15h55; 16h00

Push-ups today:  100/500.

• Like 2

I wouldn't count that for myself as a PR.

That doesn't mean it isn't one.  If hitting an extra rep on a third set is important to you, then I don't see any harm in you counting it.

Well I am going to be all hardcore and not count it as one, either! 

(But yes, yes it is important to me - I am finding that every workout is a new frontier for me - the progress is downright intoxicating.) 

• Like 1

Hello, Weapons and Shields team!  I've taken a quick sojourn from my Med Bay duties to join you today!  I've got a couple PRs to report, as I FINALLY got over my overtraining energy crash and went lifting!

First PR: New bench press 1RM or 80lbs!

Second PR: New OHP best-yet weight of 58lbs - and I even managed a 5x5!

And now, back to Med Bay with me..... but I will be back later this week!

• Like 4

Had to go back and check my lifting records, but I am excited to report 2 PRs today:

Overhead Press - 2x90# (a 90# sandbag is a beast to hoist over your head)

Weighted Dips - 2x37#

I also hit 25 push-ups, 10 regular at the start of my workout, followed by 5 suspended and 10 regular to finish the workout.

[Edit to add]: 15 perfectly pitiful plyometric push-ups - also a new PR for plyometric push-ups!

• Like 3

Hey guys! I'm a warrior, stars was nice enough to let me come crash this party.

I meant to come post last week, but it completely slipped my mind (work stuffs).  But I got two PR's last week on Friday, and I'm shooting for more tonight!

I did 5x5 @ 130# in squats, which was HUGE for me! I had previously stalled at that weight, had to deload, and come back. So I was VERY happy about this PR.

Also, I PR'd in bench when I did 5 sets of 3 reps at 70#.  I will get to 5x5 slowly but surely!

tl;dr:

PR's = 2

Do we still need pushups, because I can help!

Edit: updated spreadsheet and added some push-ups. Had to stealthily close my office door.  Did two regular, and then my wrist was VERY unhappy so I did some wall ones (don't worry stars, they were still really challenging, I promise I'm not cheating!).  After I get home and voodoo floss my wrist, I'll probably be able to bang out some more regular style. 

• Like 3

Today I was able to increase the StrongFirst Simple & Sinister kettlebell workout by one full set.

Prying Goblet Squat - From two to three sets of 5 with a 15 lb kettlebell.

StrongFirst Hip Bridge - From two to three sets of 5, 3 seconds each.

Halo - From two to three sets  of 5 in each direction with a 20 lb kettlebell.

Kettlebell Swings - From one to two sets of 10 with a 25 lb kettlebell.

Turkish Get Ups - From one to two sets of 1 from each side with a 15 lb kettlebell.

One more PR is in the books :)

• Like 4

4PR

Incline Pushup = 10 +1 (was 10)

Box Squat = 9 (was 7)

One Arm Dumbbell Row = 10 (per side) (was 8)

Knee Plank = 30 sec (was 20)

I did the same amount of assisted split squats as last time. My left knee hurts a lot when I do them.

• Like 1