• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Med Bay Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

For those who might be looking for beginner flexibility routines, here are a couple of short (~10-12 min) that got me started, and my regular stretching routine includes most if not all of these exercises (and then some, these days):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NgRcaKdrAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZTGgEWPbLk

I love the splits video, ive been using that sporadically, though im going to use it more regularly now.

I think I will sign on here because  my flexibility and mobility is shit and  only likely to get worse as I start seeing clients next month. I am not sure  what  to track though.  Iw as thinking that   I might  do a couple of yoga poses if that would count-  for example right now I  can't sit back on my  heels with my toes turned under at all, or put my heels down in down dog,  or even sit in  half lotus. Would any of those count?  I am a little afraid to start training splits at this point, and back bends are right out. 

• Like 1

Today I'm in Med Bay! It's my off day from workouts, so stretching sounds really good.

For those who might be looking for beginner flexibility routines, here are a couple of short (~10-12 min) that got me started, and my regular stretching routine includes most if not all of these exercises (and then some, these days):

Thanks for these videos!!! I'll be using them today!!! Late night edit: 5 minutes of stretching done before bed!! :)

• Like 2

gallery_11473_1823_819673.jpg

Here is my starting pic from last night. The camera on my phone isn't great, so it didn't capture the numbers on the teape measure, so I did it again tonight to measure how far down I got, 46cm.

Does posting a starting pic earn bonus points for the medbay? Or only later pics that show progress?

• Like 3

Did the splits progression video. Actually 2 of them. Found out I was a lot more bendy than I thought! Can't wait to see the progress pictures over these weeks. Took my before pictures tonight on my splits for both sides, and my middle splits. I have a lot of work to do on the middles, but I'm really pretty close to the sides. Keep in mind I'm 100 pounds over weight and have never done gymnastics... or any sports or dance or anything... I'm really proud of where I am!

j9xh9qzm.jpg

sorry for the crazy cleavage, there's no stopping it to be honest...

XLLhTW0m.jpg

k4sSOYZm.jpg

• Like 5

I'm fitting in five minutes of stretching before bed every night, and it's been nice!

Does anyone know what stretches are good for sacrum balancing? I carry my daughter on my right hip frequently (I'm right handed) and my sacrum on the right is always feeling out these days. Our yoga instructor showed us some ideas, but I thought I would ask here too!

- Sent from my magic Navi-powered device!

• Like 1

I'm fitting in five minutes of stretching before bed every night, and it's been nice!

Does anyone know what stretches are good for sacrum balancing? I carry my daughter on my right hip frequently (I'm right handed) and my sacrum on the right is always feeling out these days. Our yoga instructor showed us some ideas, but I thought I would ask here too!

Hmm I seem to recall that Katy Bowman has written about carrying kids, let me find it.

Edit: Found it! That was easy enough. :) It seems to be more about how to hold babies correctly in the first place rather than trying to fix it afterwards. ;)

http://www.katysays.com/pain-free-baby-holding/

• Like 2

First of all...congrats to Alexandrite!!!

tumblr_nkp519FWsi1r2p3x5o2_r1_400.gif

I'll be splitting my time (no pun intended) between here, weapons & shields, and galley teams.  I'm always working on my flexibility to keep Fibro at bay...Thanks to Starsaparts post during a Suprise Mini last challenge, I've decided to try to work on splits, primarily.  I'm also going to be working on all around flexibility...legs, arms, back, core...you name it, I'm gonna flex it!!  LOL!!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I think I will sign on here because  my flexibility and mobility is shit and  only likely to get worse as I start seeing clients next month. I am not sure  what  to track though.  Iw as thinking that   I might  do a couple of yoga poses if that would count-  for example right now I  can't sit back on my  heels with my toes turned under at all, or put my heels down in down dog,  or even sit in  half lotus. Would any of those count?  I am a little afraid to start training splits at this point, and back bends are right out. 

Anything you're doing to increase your mobility counts.  All of those definitely qualify. :)

gallery_11473_1823_819673.jpg

Here is my starting pic from last night. The camera on my phone isn't great, so it didn't capture the numbers on the teape measure, so I did it again tonight to measure how far down I got, 46cm.

Does posting a starting pic earn bonus points for the medbay? Or only later pics that show progress?

The starting photo is still useful for measuring progress as you carry on. Yes, you can count it.

• Like 1

All right, medics, I have a contribution!

Gave myself 30 minutes of deep stretching last night at aerial open gym..... my arms got tired early since it was my second day of aerial in a row, so I thought I would use the time productively.  And I have a progress video, because I couldn't get someone to snap a pic!

I got injured a few months back as some of you may know, and I lost my ability to do a full pancake. :(

But last night after a lot of deep stretching, I fiiiiiiiiiiinally got my chest on the ground.  So for the record:

Definitely more stretching to come today + an actual pic for progress.... I will shamefully show off how far my splits have fallen since my injury (the better to improve, right?).

• Like 8

I will try to find a way to snap morning pictures of my toe to elbow every morning, after my morning set!

I'm more flexible throughout the day, and after my second and longer set, but guess this will make a more clear progress!

here are the fist two!

Right side 1192fit.jpg

Left side: 

a9saa1.jpg

FYI, only one allowed per day for points.  I noticed you claimed two, but please adjust. :)

You can post another today, however!

• Like 1

Okay I'm going to stick with med bay today and add the 15 minutes of hip mobility we did in Hip Prehab (and maybe some stretching later ow my poor hips). The rest of the class was agility, strength and conditioning. Yay max load week x.x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll probably be here on the days I'm not doing any strength training since I do yoga and/or stretching every day. I did 15 minutes of stretching this morning.

• Like 2

Forced rest day due to accidental overtraining, booooooooooo.

So of course I went to the gym and spent 45 minutes stretching and foam rolling. :)

In addition, have some blurry progress photos.  Here are my splits, somewhat underwhelming due to injury recovery.  The photos don't really show it well, sadly, but my pelvis is a few centimeters from the floor in both cases.  But it's getting muuuuuuuuuch better than it was when I first got hurt.

Right:

Screenshot_2015-07-31-11-58-54_zpsheg1h7

Left:

Screenshot_2015-07-31-11-59-48_zpsjawsnv

Apropos of nothing, but I think they're actually better in the air, maybe????

Screenshot_2015-07-31-12-37-11_zpszlrqzb

• Like 10

That's a really, really lovely aerial split! It's quite impressive that your active flexibility is so close to your passive flexibility. I'm jelly. :)

• Like 4

Hello all! I think I will be living here primary during this challenge. I didn't build any flexibility goals into my personal challenge, but I was missing not having it, so here I am! I want to work on my splits this round and I'm pumped! I'm loving seeing all the inspiring pics, hopefully I'll post my own soon. 

Apropos of nothing, but I think they're actually better in the air, maybe????

Screenshot_2015-07-31-12-37-11_zpszlrqzb

This is gorgeous! You've almost inspired me to get up in the air (darn fear of heights). And I totally see what you mean about them being comparable to/better than your ground splits, that's impressive!

• Like 2

That's a really, really lovely aerial split! It's quite impressive that your active flexibility is so close to your passive flexibility. I'm jelly. :)

Thank you!  I think I may actually do better when I remember to engage my muscles.... I've been improving when I stretch by going for 10 second intervals of flexing my muscles, then releasing and inching just a weeeeeeeeeee bit lower.

Hello all! I think I will be living here primary during this challenge. I didn't build any flexibility goals into my personal challenge, but I was missing not having it, so here I am! I want to work on my splits this round and I'm pumped! I'm loving seeing all the inspiring pics, hopefully I'll post my own soon. 

This is gorgeous! You've almost inspired me to get up in the air (darn fear of heights). And I totally see what you mean about them being comparable to/better than your ground splits, that's impressive!

Yay, welcome!  Lots of Ravenclaw grads here, I noticed...... ;)

And doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiit.  Ravenclaw eagles should fly.  It is known!!!

• Like 2

Thank you!  I think I may actually do better when I remember to engage my muscles.... I've been improving when I stretch by going for 10 second intervals of flexing my muscles, then releasing and inching just a weeeeeeeeeee bit lower.

Yay, welcome!  Lots of Ravenclaw grads here, I noticed...... ;)

And doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiit.  Ravenclaw eagles should fly.  It is known!!!

oooooo yes, I love PNF stretching! My jazz teacher always made us do that and I was super impressed by how close my leg got to my head. I have to start doing that again, I forgot all about it.

Ravenclaw for lyfe :)

• Like 3

Are we allowed to backlog, if we forgot to log the day before? I did yoga class yesterday and it ended up being one-on-one (I was the only one to show up) so we did a LOT more stretching than normal because I love that kind of thing. It was about 30 minutes of stretching over the hour and a half long class.

And stars, those pictures rock! Can't even believe the progress from just the beginning of last challenge!

• Like 1

Are we allowed to backlog, if we forgot to log the day before? I did yoga class yesterday and it ended up being one-on-one (I was the only one to show up) so we did a LOT more stretching than normal because I love that kind of thing. It was about 30 minutes of stretching over the hour and a half long class.

And stars, those pictures rock! Can't even believe the progress from just the beginning of last challenge!

If you did it yesterday and you didn't contribute to any other team yesterday, then yes, count it.

I don't recall posting splits pics last challenge, but yes, I am really coming along now that my hamstring has healed!!!! :D

Back to oversplits training by fall........................................

• Like 1

Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiit!  I am afraid of heights but doing aerial has really helped actually!