• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Galley Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

GALLEY:

giphy.gif

The ship's crew won't get very far if they're passing out from malnutrition.  Underrated but vitally important, the galley team keeps everyone well-fueled to do their work.  You may belong on this team if your main goals at this time circle around cooking and eating better foods or exploring other food and water related issues.

• Those who work primarily with the Galley team will earn +3 CON at the end of the challenge.

• The Galley team will focus primarily on nutrition.  Every time a Galley team member posts a new recipe that they have made, complete with photos and their personal review, on the Galley thread, they will earn 100 points.  This means that up to 60 new recipes may be posted to help build up the Nerdiprise.

• BONUS: Any Galley team member who feeds their recipe to a taste-tester and documents the taste-tester's thoughts in the Galley thread can earn 10 additional points.  This bonus challenge may be completed once per day by any single Assassin.

>>TRACK YOUR PROGRESS HERE<<

Answers to FAQ:

• You may make as many new recipes as you like per day, but you must actually make them (not just Pin them ;) ) and provide photographic evidence in order to earn points.

• Please provide either a link to an online recipe or an ingredients list and step by step instructions.

• If a recipe isn't new to you but you are planning to make it and want to share it here, that is allowed, but please try to play fair and attempt new things most of the time.

• Recipes should be nutritious overall.  We understand that this means different things to different people, so there are no specific guidelines, but this does mean that double chocolate chunk skillet cookies probably don't belong in the Galley. :D
  • You cannot repeat the same recipe for additional points.

• Like 1

Hello fellow cooks!  As much as I am an Engineer for realz, looking at what's set up for this challenge, I think I will fit best here.  I have cooking (healthy) meals at home as one of my goals, so now I have an excuse to try lots of new stuff!

I'll probably pop over to the Med Bay a little bit, too, since I'm working on getting my splits back, too.

And, of course, one never knows when you might get called upon for an away mission...  :)

• Like 2

I'm with Elennare--an engineer for my day job, but a Galley slave for this challenge! I'm actually trying a totally new-to-me recipe tonight as part of my challenge goal to get more vegetables in my life. I'll take pictures--and we'll see if I can actually get any of them into my posts here. Also, my kids make excellent, although quite picky, taste-testers.

Wrong franchise, I know, but I hope you don't mind this gif:

200.gif

• Like 5

Jalepeno Bites

Jalepeno Bites

2 jalepeno peppers, sliced in half longways

1 T. goat cheese

1 T. cream cheese

1 T. grated Parmesan

1 T. chopped tomato

1/2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

4 slices bacon

4 toothpicks

Heat oven to 375.  Combine the cheeses, the tomato, and the cilantro.  Divide into fourths and fill each jalepeno half with a fourth of the cheeses.  Wrap a piece of bacon around each jalepeno half and use the toothpick to hold it in place.  Place in a small pan and bake for 20-40 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.

My Review:  Yum!  This is my favorite low-carb jalepeno popper variation I've tried.

Taste-tester's Review:  Spicy!  The cream cheese goes well with the bacon.  Next time I'd wait to eat them till they cooled down a little bit, though.

• Like 4

They really do! I'll be contributing later tonight. Incidentally, I was planning on making a Thai green curry in my crockpot. I think it will be delicious :D(and will give us more points)

• Like 2

Jalepeno Bites

2 jalepeno peppers, sliced in half longways

1 T. goat cheese

1 T. cream cheese

1 T. grated Parmesan

1 T. chopped tomato

1/2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

4 slices bacon

4 toothpicks

Heat oven to 375.  Combine the cheeses, the tomato, and the cilantro.  Divide into fourths and fill each jalepeno half with a fourth of the cheeses.  Wrap a piece of bacon around each jalepeno half and use the toothpick to hold it in place.  Place in a small pan and bake for 20-40 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.

My Review:  Yum!  This is my favorite low-carb jalepeno popper variation I've tried.

Taste-tester's Review:  Spicy!  The cream cheese goes well with the bacon.  Next time I'd wait to eat them till they cooled down a little bit, though.

What's a "T."?

And who was your Taste Tester?

-

What's a "T."?

And who was your Taste Tester?

-

A T. is a tablespoon.

My taste tester was my 13-year-old stepson.  And no, he does not like everything I make, not by a long shot!  :)

• Like 1

A T. is a tablespoon.

My taste tester was my 13-year-old stepson.  And no, he does not like everything I make, not by a long shot!  :)

I was kind of hoping Kagetsukai was right about tubs of cheese. :D

--

• Like 6

I was kind of hoping Kagetsukai was right about tubs of cheese. :D

--

Tubs of cheese..... yum..................... 10/10 would eat.

Also, I accidentally recreated something that tastes a whole lot like panang curry last night!  I did it before the challenge was posted, so no opportunity for points (plus I'm hanging with med bay for most of this week) BUT you guys will definitely see me spending a day or two with you sometime soon!!!!  And I am eagerly watching this space for exciting new recipes..... yummy. :D

• Like 2

Give me a second! It's easier to send a picture from my phone, and easier to type a recipe from my laptop! 

OK: 

Sautee a diced onion and 1 tsp minced garlic in olive oil until tender.

Add:

6 c. chicken broth

1 cooked diced chicken breast

1/2 c. diced carrot

1/2 c. diced celery

1/2 tsp thyme

I also added some fresh oregano

Simmer for 20 - 30 min. 

Serve over: cooked orzo. 

My review: Good! Needs more salt.

Husband's review: "It's pretty good."

4yo review: Not yummy (ate crackers instead). 

• Like 3

BBC288E8-7C6D-4C36-BD7C-1945F1FF336D.jpg\

(Olives added for show)

Tonnato Sauce - I didn't have the anchovies, so I used sardines.  Next time.  ;)  If you don't know Nom Nom Paleo yet... you're in store for lots of tasty treats!

Here’s what to gather to make 2 cups of sauce:

• 1 (7-ounce) can tuna packed in olive oil, drained
  • 5 anchovies packed in olive oil, drained
  • 2 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup Paleo Mayonnaise
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:

Dump all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Done.

Bon appetit, nerds!

3FEAE78F-8710-4A85-A9F8-3A752068DA95.jpg

• Like 1