• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Galley Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

This mini challenge could have been made for me!  I've just started trying out a new eating plan, and of course it comes with new recipes.  

Here's supper tonight:

Steak Kebabs

Steak Kebabs:

1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat

6 chicken sausages

1 package of mushrooms

1 package of cherry tomatoes

1 red onion

1 bell pepper

1/2 summer squash

1/4 eggplant

1/2 zucchini

I had some marinade on hand in the fridge I needed to use up, so I cut the stew meat into bite-size pieces and let it set in the marinade in the fridge all day.  I put a handful of wooden skewers in water to soak for about three hours.

Then I cut everything else up so that I had an equal number of bite-size pieces of everything (just because I'm that way), put it in a bowl, and drizzled it with olive oil.  Then I mixed it around and sprinkled it with salt and pepper.  

Then the tedious part began!  I impaled meat and veggies onto a skewer.  Because I'm me, I put an equal number of everything on each skewer, but you can definitely do it any way you wish.  ;)

I then turned them over to the grill chef, who cooked them on the charcoal grill for about 5 minutes on one side and until done (about 2-3 minutes) on the other side.  

My Review:  These were a really good way to use up some of the vegetables I had lurking in my fridge.  The steak and the sausage were my favorites, but I ate the veggies just because they were there, and they weren't too bad.  My favorite was hearing the kids rave about how they liked some of the veggies.  This is definitely a good summertime meal.

• Like 1

97d03c36-07e9-4b3f-aefd-1af7f364e4a0_zps

Foil-baked salmon with summer squash

Put salmon filet on foil square. Put lemon slices on top and chunks of 1 summer squash all around. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

My rating: pretty good. Next time I might try red potatoes instead of the squash. Also I probably should have thawed the salmon before baking. Very filling dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Might be a bit before I have anything to post. I've got kaluha pig in the crock pot right now, and we'll be eating that for a few day. Alas, this is the second time I've made it, so no points to add. :(

• Like 2

Might be a bit before I have anything to post. I've got kaluha pig in the crock pot right now, and we'll be eating that for a few day. Alas, this is the second time I've made it, so no points to add. :(

I have some cooking now too. Never be sad about Kalua Pig.

• Like 2

I got a shipment from Hello Fresh today which is this delivery service that gives you the right amount of food and tells you how to cook it. I got 3 meals which I will eat twice for a total of 6 days of dinners for me and 300 points for the galley :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spinach Bacon Quesadilla

Spinach Bacon Quesadilla:

1 whole wheat tortilla

1 Tablespoon cream cheese

1/2 cup spinach, chopped

2 slices bacon, chopped

1 Tablespoon cheddar cheese, grated

Salt and pepper

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat till it's crispy.  While it's cooking, spread half of the tortilla with cream cheese and top that with the spinach, cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper.  Add the cooked bacon and fold the tortilla in half.  Turn the skillet with the bacon fat in it down to medium heat, and cook the quesadilla on each side till it's brown and the cheese is melted.

My review:  This is really good!  I love quesadillas in general, and this is definitely one I'll make again.  The meltiness of the cream cheese contrasts well with the crunchiness of the bacon.

Taste-tester review (9-year-old stepson):  It's good.  I can't really taste the bacon, but I sort of can, kind of.

• Like 2

Kids make the best taste-testers!

I should add another reviewer to my chicken soup entry:

15 month old: Thought it was yummy until he saw his brother having crackers; then only wanted crackers.

• Like 2

Kids make the best taste-testers!

I should add another reviewer to my chicken soup entry:

15 month old: Thought it was yummy until he saw his brother having crackers; then only wanted crackers.

LOL!

You only get to count one, but that is hilarious (as was the crackers comment - I had a good giggle).

• Like 1

I don't get to have a taste testers :( Most of the food I make won't be consumed by my BF so... no dice.

I don't have a taste tester either. Unless dogs count. Do dogs count? 

• Like 2

Ooh, Ooh!  I made food!  Snacks count, right?

Blueberries with sweet goat cheese:

Blueberries and Cheese

Mix one small log of goat cheese with sweetener to taste (I used about 1.5 tablespoons of sugar).

Add a whole bunch of blueberries and mix.

No taste-tester, because it was too yummy to share (also, no one was home).  Probably not that healthy since I ate it all, but in small amounts I bet it's not too bad...  :)

• Like 3

I don't have a taste tester either. Unless dogs count. Do dogs count? 

I don't think that counts :tongue:

tumblr_ngq0ytECXg1tl3kt6o1_500.gif

^^

What she said.

Mix one small log of goat cheese with sweetener to taste (I used about 1.5 tablespoons of sugar).

No taste-tester, because it was too yummy to share (also, no one was home).  Probably not that healthy since I ate it all, but in small amounts I bet it's not too bad...  :)

I didn't make any rules about snacks, and I can't think of a correct way to write a limit, so you're okay. :)  But something with more than 2 ingredients would be good next time. :D

Sounds great! Hmmm, I wonder what that'd be like with honey...?

• Like 1

But something with more than 2 ingredients would be good next time. :D

Hey, be fair!  It's got 3! :D  And I bet it would be delicious with honey.  I promise to make more complicated things for the rest of my contributions.

And also, I would like to report, just for the record, that Kahlua pig is kitty-approved.  :)

I was eating some, for...you know...quality control... :)  when I noticed she was looking at me with a "what 'cha got there?" look, so I gave her a bit.  Normally, she does not show any interest in people food, but she scarfed the pork.

• Like 2

Hey, ya'll!!  I'm a little bit late here...trying to play catch up since life keeps happening...

I'll be posting here since my hubby and sis already have me posting our meal pics on FB...and I've had most people grouse that they are going to stop reading my thread because the pics I post look too delicious, and more than a few threats to come over and steal my dinner!!! LOL!!

So this was from Monday Night...sorry the pic is a bit blurry...and yes, the pasta sauce IS black...

11011462_902392203176670_203452360173091

Squid Ink Pasta with Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Part of my goals this time around is to eat out of our pantry and garden as much as possible...

I have lots of spaghetti pasta (people who PCS keep giving it to me), and the Squid Ink pasta sauce was a gift from a Japanese friend...the label was in Japanese, so I just kinda guessed at what to do...

The Brussels Sprouts can be done with fresh or frozen (if frozen, best to thaw first, and they tend to cook a little faster than fresh).

Squid Ink Pasta

Japanese squid ink sauce (ours came in a jar)

spaghetti (break in half)

"shakum" cheese (mixture of shredded cheeses in the green container)

cook pasta per package instructions, adding some EVOO and salt to the water

drain pasta and let rest in the colander

return pot to heat and pour in sauce

when sauce is properly heated, add pasta and some cheese

stir carefully to combine 

serve with more cheese on top

NOTE:  be very careful when making and eating this...it will stain!!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts (frozen or fresh)

S&P

EVOO

"shakum" cheese

preheat oven to 450

put sprouts in a bowl, drizzle with EVOO and S&P to taste,

mix with hands to ensure proper coverage

turn out onto a lined sheet pan

bake for 20 mins, stir, then 15 more minutes or until nicely browned

stir again, sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and toasty

serve and enjoy

Taste tester:  Hubby and I both enjoyed the meal.  However, the next day, he told me not to make the pasta again...his "downloads" were black!!!  Yesterday, when we had leftovers for dinner, he told me I get to eat the leftover pasta because he was STILL pooping black!!!

200_s.gif

• Like 2

I'm looking for some recipes to make brussel sprouts a little more palatable for my crew - I'm hoping the Galley crew might have some ideas during this challenge! I'll come up with a new dinner recipe tonight and post that for some points, as well as a review from my picky son.

• Like 2

Spinach and Goat Cheese Scramble

Spinach & Goat Cheese Scramble:

1 Tablespoon butter

1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup spinach, chopped

2 eggs, beaten

Salt and pepper

2 Tablespoons goat cheese

Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and stir frequently for about a minute, then add spinach and cook and stir till spinach is cooked.  Add eggs and season with salt and pepper.  Cook and stir till eggs are nearly done, then crumble the goat cheese on top.  Cook just till goat cheese is melted, then serve.

My review:  The cheese is what makes this, but it makes it really, really good.  I wish it was a little bit more filling, though.  I combined this with a piece of whole-grain bread, but I think I'll still be hungry before lunch.

• Like 1

Hey, be fair!  It's got 3! :D  And I bet it would be delicious with honey.  I promise to make more complicated things for the rest of my contributions.

And also, I would like to report, just for the record, that Kahlua pig is kitty-approved.  :)

I was eating some, for...you know...quality control... :)  when I noticed she was looking at me with a "what 'cha got there?" look, so I gave her a bit.  Normally, she does not show any interest in people food, but she scarfed the pork.

Teasing~

I really need to make Kahlua pig one of these days.  I really, really do.

• Like 1

So this was from Monday Night...sorry the pic is a bit blurry...and yes, the pasta sauce IS black...

You sure that's pasta?  Looks kinda like Klingon gagh  :)

gw321-gagh.jpg

• Like 1