• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Galley Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

I do have one!

Will have to get some Hawaiian salt and give this a go.

Yay! I really hope you love it. It's a great building block for... Well, everything.

Green beans with lemon and garlic:
075a95b0d923d59f5ea68352a46ef85c.jpg

1 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)

1 cup green beans, fresh or frozen (these were frozen)

1 tbsp lemon juice

Salt & pepper to taste

Sautee garlic in oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and stir to coat with the oil and garlic. Cover the skillet to steam the beans, 5-8 minutes. In the last minute, sprinkle the beans with the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper if desired. 

Husband had a cold, so he had no comment.

My kids' internet nicknames are Gadget (4 year old) and Widget (15 months old).

Me: Gadget, what do you think of the beans? 

Gadget: Crackers. 

However, he ate several of the them. Widget seemed to really like them, but green beans are still a little hard for him to chew. 

My review: This gives you some nice, crisp green beans with a slight tangy flavor. And it's really easy to make for a side dish! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for some recipes to make brussel sprouts a little more palatable for my crew - I'm hoping the Galley crew might have some ideas during this challenge! I'll come up with a new dinner recipe tonight and post that for some points, as well as a review from my picky son.

Here's my post for Brussels Sprouts...they are awesome!!  I have to smack my hubby (and sometimes myself) to not snack on them before they hit the table...as soon as I pull the pan out of the oven, they are great to just pop in your mouth...turned around and caught Hubby with his cheeks bulging as he tried to scarf them while my back was turned!!  LOL!  Our nieces and nephews love them too...we call them "Martians Heads"...

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts (frozen or fresh)

S&P

EVOO

"shakum" cheese

preheat oven to 450

put sprouts in a bowl, drizzle with EVOO and S&P to taste,

mix with hands to ensure proper coverage

turn out onto a lined sheet pan

bake for 20 mins, stir, then 15 more minutes or until nicely browned

stir again, sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and toasty

serve and enjoy

• Like 2

I hope you have a slow cooker... Dis!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

All the tasty piggy protein with no stove/oven and no hard work makes annyshay a happy girl. Also simple!

I do have one!

Will have to get some Hawaiian salt and give this a go.

That sounds amazing!!!  I don't know where to get Hawaiian salt around here (living in Japan)...is there a possible substitute?

I'd like to join in with the Galley Crew, although my offerings will be slight for the first couple of weeks. I'm in the middle of moving across the country, so my kitchen is mostly packed up. But tonight I made dinner, trying to use up things in the pantry.

pesto squash

Baked chicken and spaghetti squash with pesto

Chicken:

Put chicken tenderloins in a casserole. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and herbs to taste (I used garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and parsley). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until done.

Baked spaghetti squash: I used this recipe. I tossed it with a jar of walnut pesto.

I served it with frozen green beans.

My review: It was pretty tasty. I've never been a pesto fan, but the walnut pesto was good. This particular jar was from Italy, a gift from my in-laws who vacationed there recently. But I might have to see if I can get some here, or find a recipe to make my own.

My taste-tester was my husband. His verdict: The chicken was good, the squash and pesto were ok.

• Like 1

It's 95 degrees here so I went with a quick cooking meal to limit the time at the stove. Honey Sriracha Chicken Stirfry.

Honey Sriracha Chicken Stirfry

1 pound of chicken - I used chicken tenders but use what you like - cut into bite size pieces

1/3 cup of honey

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1.5 teaspoons of sriracha sauce (or more if you like it HOT)

1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar

2 tablespoons of garlic -  minced

Juice of one lemon

1/4 tsp of white pepper

3.5 cups of fresh chopped stirfry veggies - I went with onion, bok choy, mushroom, peppers, bamboo shoots, broccoli, etc.

teaspoon of oil

salt to taste

1. In a large skillet or wok, add oil and heat on high. Add chicken and cook until brown. While chicken browns, mix honey, soy sauce, sriracha, vinegar, garlic, lemon, pepper together in a bowl.

2. Add your veggies to your browned chicken and then pour the sauce in slowly into the pan. Cook the veggies until they are to your liking (I like them still a bit crisp) and the chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with salt to taste and remove from heat. Serve as is or with a side of rice or noodles.

Serves 3-4

the family gave it two thumbs up, including the teenager who ate all the veggies

Sauce was heavily modified from http://www.carlsbadcravings.com/honey-sriracha-chicken-noodle-bowls-recipe/

• Like 1

That sounds amazing!!!  I don't know where to get Hawaiian salt around here (living in Japan)...is there a possible substitute?

I bet normal coarse salt would work just fine, though the Hawaiian stuff is taaaaaaasty.

I have sad tidings my friends. My crockpot was beheaded by a falling jar of coconut aminos. A big ole chunk is gone so it won't seal anymore... Moment of silence.

Now, time to upgrade! :D

• Like 2

I bet normal coarse salt would work just fine, though the Hawaiian stuff is taaaaaaasty.

I have sad tidings my friends. My crockpot was beheaded by a falling jar of coconut aminos. A big ole chunk is gone so it won't seal anymore... Moment of silence.

Boo beheading.

Yay upgrade!

I thought I saw the question about "do  have to post on the exact day I do the thing" somewhere on this thread (from Bast, maybe?), and the answer is, try to post on that day, but I know sometimes you have to play internet catch-up.  As long as you do one team's challenges per day, you can bulk-post if you have to..... honor system.

• Like 2

For dinner tonight I made Parmesan raviolini with pesto and summer veggies!

veggies_zpsknvhtfsr.png

So first I cut all the veggies. There were a lot of veggies (this is two servings but still). A bunch of green beans, a few broccoli florets, about 10 grape tomatoes, and a whole yellow squash. 

cut%20veggies_zpsp3wo0mxy.png

The raviolini were already prepared, so I just had to boil them for 5 minutes. While they were boiling, I sauteed the veggies in 1T olive oil (squash first for 5 mins, then I added the tomatoes and green beans and sauteed for three minutes more). When the pasta was done, I boiled the broccoli for 5 mins in the same water and then added them to the veggies. 

saute%20veggies_zpsjflxvsbh.png

When everything was done, I put them all together and mixed in a jar of pesto, half of a bunch of chopped up basil (which I chopped up myself after going "oops I forgot to chop up the basil"), and some parmesan. 

pesto%20pasta_zpsbhtxtyvv.png

I put half on a plate and half in a tupperware to save for a future meal. Then I garnished both servings with the rest of the chopped up basil and ate my dinner! So yummy. I can't wait to eat the rest of it tomorrow :x

parmesan%20raviolini_zpsnnfk6jjk.png

• Like 2

I thought I saw the question about "do  have to post on the exact day I do the thing" somewhere on this thread (from Bast, maybe?), and the answer is, try to post on that day, but I know sometimes you have to play internet catch-up.  As long as you do one team's challenges per day, you can bulk-post if you have to..... honor system.

Yep...that was me...Thanks, Stars!!

If that's not a indication condoning an online purchase, I don't know what is...off to the research  bay...

My deepest condolences for your loss...but it looks like it gave it's life for a good cause....upgrading!!

• Like 1

OK, this is a belated post for my contribution on Thursday...

It all started in the garden...11792065_903807453035145_265452842812123

Then I used what I harvested...

11823123_903840469698510_810075781347895

To make homemade Sloppy Joes...

11041163_903840473031843_675517286286703

These are healthier than regular...if you use the can mix, there's a lot of additives and sugars and other stuff you wouldn't want to eat (if you knew what it was...).  The recipes out there aren't much better...they all use a couple cups of ketchup (loads of sugar there) and they had more sugar to the recipe and don't use much veggies...

Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes may be known as lowbrow cafeteria food, but they’re still delicious.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil

1 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into small dice

1 yellow bell peppers, seeded and cut into small dice

1 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into small dice

2 medium yellow onions, small dice

10 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped

1/2 can tomato paste (small can)

2 pounds lean ground beef

2 (14-ounce) cans tomato sauce

Seasonings:  Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Cayenne, Smoked Paprika

2 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering (Cast iron is best).

Add the peppers, onion, and garlic, season with salt (I use Pink Himalayan mineral salt), and

cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 6 minutes.

Add the tomato paste, stir to combine, and cook until the raw flavor has cooked out, about 1

minute.

Increase the heat to medium high, add the ground beef, and cook, breaking the meat into

smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it’s just cooked through and no longer pink, about

4 minutes.

Add the seasonings to taste, being light with the cumin (strong flavor) and cayenne (heat level),

stir to coat the meat and vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, and Worcestershire, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld and the mixture

thickens, about 30 minutes.

Taste test intermittently and adjust seasonings to your preference.

Serve immediately, or allow to simmer on low, stirring frequently, until the buns are ready.

NOTE:  The flavors continue to develop as the Sloppy Joe mixture sits, so you can make this recipe up to 2 days in advance and refrigerate it in a container with a tight fitting lid, or freeze it for up to 1 month.

Taste Tester:  Hubby thought they were great and so did I!  However, he groused at me for making him fat after he finished eating his THIRD one!!!  I had actually halved this recipe, since it was only the hubby and I, but it still made enough for 5 sammies!

• Like 2

I'm doing the Keto diet, and quite enjoying it! 

My boss suggested a recipe, and since my household was in BAD need of a treat, I went all the way and even bought an ice cream maker!  

Bullet Proof "Get Some" Ice Cream  -- so named because it is said to also inspire lust.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/get-some-ice-cream/

Ingredients
  • 4 whole eggs (pastured of course)
  • 4 yolks (in addition to the whole eggs above)
  • 2 tsp vanilla (I use UpgradedVanilla)
  • 1 gram vitamin C (ascorbic acid) or 10 drops apple cider vinegar or lime juice to taste.
  • 100 grams (7 tbs) grass-fed butter
  • 100 grams (7tbs) coconut oil (or substitute half  Upgraded Cacao Butter for amazing taste)
  • 50 grams (3tbs + 2tsp) MCT oil (important for consistency)
  • 80 grams (5.5tbs) xylitol or erythritol (or more to taste – you can add up to 160 grams if you want)
  • ~100 grams water or ice (just under 1/2 cup; add less than you think you need, then increase the amount).
  • (optional) 1/4 to 1/2 cup of low-toxin Upgraded Chocolate powder
Methods
  1. Blend everything but the water/ice in blender. It takes a while to get the butter blended into perfect creaminess.
  2. Add water or ice and blend some more until well blended. Ideally, you want a yogurt-like consistency for creamy ice cream, or add more water for a firmer, icier texture
  3. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and turn it on.

Now here is the story and the review:  I didn't slice the 7 tablespoons of butter into small pieces before putting it all into the blender.  I should have.  Because the stick of butter floated and occasionally dove down to barely get dented by the blades... something was wrong.  So I got in there with two knives (after turning the blender off) and cut it up.  Then ran the blender more.  It was fighting more than it should have been -- and this is one that has powered through frozen strawberries for many years. Probably too many years.   When I declared "good enough!!" it was because I was bored - not because it was evenly mixed.  Then I added three ice cubes and immediately heard a huge "clang."  Loud enough that my boyfriend called from the office "babe...?  How's my blender?"  The gears had stripped and the bolt had shorn clean off.  Well, blending done.  So I pulled out the ice cubes and subbed in some water.  Poured the whole thing into the ice cream maker and let it be.

The fact that it wasn't blended smooth became apparent within 10 minutes.  Fine grains of fat were freezing and riding on top of the blade.  I scraped them off once, but they hopped back on again.  OK, fine.  Once it thickened a little more the grains were taking turns on the blade, so I went with it.  Took a walk, came back.  The maker was done.  Put the bucket into the freezer until friends arrived.

We all agreed that the ice cream was tasty.  Like a Mounds bar.  And surprisingly creamy.  The little grains of frozen coconut oil freaked out one guest, who opted to eat around them.  Another guest (who is a big fan of boba tea) decided that they are like tapiocas and quite enjoyed them.  We experienced no rampant lust, but once I get us a new blender I'll try again.  This needs to be explored.

• Like 1

Chinese chicken salad:

c6dda9007a60cef60ce0c81ce093d179.jpg

Recipe:

• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
  • 4 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (sold with Asian foods)
  • 1 Tbsp. grated or minced fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 small head romaine lettuce or bok choy, thinly sliced (6-8 cups)
  • 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, or use 1 can mandarin oranges (optional)
  • 6 oz. crispy chow mein noodles, or use broken ramen noodles

To make the dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce, the ginger and the sesame oil. 

To make the chicken, in a large heavy skillet or pot, place the chicken in a single layer. Pour 1/3 cup of the dressing over the chicken and reserve the remaining mixture for the salad. Add 2 cups of water to the pot, or just enough to cover the chicken. Bring it to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, 7-10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice it thinly. In a bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining 1 Tbsp. soy sauce and 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce. 

In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, peppers, scallions, and almonds or oranges (optional). Top it with the chicken and remaining dressing and toss the salad thoroughly. Sprinkle the noodles on top, and serve.

Taste tester reviews:

Me & Husband: went back for seconds. Yummy! But definitely a weekend meal, as it took a lot of chopping and mixing. 

Widget (15 months): Took everything out of bowl, spread it around his tray.

Gadget (4 years): Fell asleep after eating a couple of the chow mein noodles because he'd been outside playing all afternoon and skipped his nap. 

Greetings Galley Team;  Thought I'd take a break from Weapons/Shields (we have a Tribble problem don't cha know) to help out with Sunday dinner.

I love me some Carnitas.  I enjoy making them as well as eating them.  I've been meaning to make the Citrus Carnitas from the book "Well Fed" for quite some time.  The citrus in this recipe is lemon and lime instead of the traditional orange, there (of course) is no sweetened condensed milk, and no added lard.  This mini challenge gives me a great excuse to give it a shot.

Now, good cook I am.  Food stylist I am not.

The menu tonight includes:

Well Fed - Citrus Carnitas

Well Fed - Cumin-Roasted Carrots

and chili dusted grilled pineapple

ca4cde78-f235-4063-a28b-c61874324fc9.jpg

Dinner turned out very nicely.  The Carnitas were very tender and moist.  They went well with the carrots, I feel not so much with the pineapple.

I use lard to oven fry my usual Carnitas, this dish was browned in the rendered fat on the stove top.  The texture of the crust is not the same as a traditional Carnita, but still very good.

The lemon/lime really wakes this dish up and makes it interesting.  The heat was there, but not at all excessive.  The drippings in the pan are really, really good.  There are lots of leftovers for lunches during the week.  I see wraps with pico de gallo and avocado in my future :)

My Sweetie thought they were very tender and she liked the lemon/lime better than the traditional orange.  She is not at all heat tolerant and thought the heat was a little more than she would like.  She thinks the grilled pineapple goes well with the dish.

Nutrition as plated:

Cals = 673, Carbs = 32gr, Fat =  39gr, Protein = 46gr, Sodium =  791, and Sugar = 19gr

One last note.  I used a bone in pork shoulder, I'm a bone collector for my broths so purchase meat bone in when I can.  A boneless shoulder would be a little easier.

This is a recipe that I would recommend to anyone who likes pork, Mexican food, or even citrus based dishes. 

• Like 1

Greetings Galley Team;  Thought I'd take a break from Weapons/Shields (we have a Tribble problem don't cha know) to help out with Sunday dinner.

Welcome!  We're glad to have the help.  Cooking for this crew can be a challenge, especially while having to keep the Tribbles out of the pots!

Dinner tonight: sweet potato tacos with caramelized onions, black beans, and avocado-lime crema

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Cut veggies. I diced 1 sweet potato and 1 onion, minced 2 garlic cloves, cut the corn off 1 cob, zested and halved 1 lime, and pulled the leaves off one package of cilantro. Then I drained and rinsed 1 can of black beans and put half in the fridge for another time. 

3. When the oven is preheated, toss the sweet potato in 1T olive oil, spread out on a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper. Roast 20-25 min. These were done by the time I finished cutting everything else >.> 

food%208-2-15%202_zpsqpaawulx.png

4. Heat 1T olive oil over medium heat and add onions. Toss to coat and cook about 5 min until they start to caramelize. Also wrap some corn tortillas up in foil and let warm for a few minutes in the oven.

food%208-2-15%201_zps2ctlm0ul.png

5. Add the corn, black beans, and garlic and cook about 3 more min. 

food%208-2-15%203_zpsk7smg3l2.png

6. Add the sweet potato along with about 1T cumin, 1T honey, juice from 1/2 the lime, and red pepper flakes to taste. 

food%208-2-15%204_zpsuuyffinr.png

7. Make the avocado crema with 2T sour cream, 1/2 mashed avocado, the lime zest, and juice from the other half of the lime. Also salt and pepper. 

food%208-2-15%205_zpstyetz8u2.png

8. Assemble the tacos! Use the filling, the avocado crema, and the cilantro leaves. I left off the rest of the avocado but you can use it too. This makes 2 servings of 3 tacos, so since I'm just one person, I put the rest of the filling, avocado crema, cilantro, and tortillas in the fridge for tomorrow. 

food%208-2-15%206_zpsdimqs13t.png

My review: I mean, tacos are basically my favorite thing in the entire world. I love corn, black beans, sweet potatoes and caramelized onions. I love cumin. I love cilantro. I love sour cream. I thought the honey might be weird (I don't really like sweet that much) but it was a good flavor paired with the red pepper, and the avocado crema was a creamy, citrusy way to cut the heat of the filling. It was kind of a lot of work for one person, but healthier (and dare I say ... yummier?) than Taco Bell. I am definitely eating the rest tomorrow, and I hope I'll make it again. 

• Like 3

I heard there was a problem with the replicators so I thought I'd stop by and lend a hand. It also gave me an opportunity to try out a recipe for Hawaiian Bread Rolls.  I used all-purpose flour instead of bread flour, and skipped the glaze.  Also, I always proof the yeast before adding the other ingredients. In this case it wasn't foaming as much as expected so I added a little extra just to be safe.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the pineapple juice, but it turned out rather tasty.  My wife and son both agreed.  I'll definitely be making this one in the future.

I didn't realize we needed pics for full credit, so this one is after 5 rolls had already been devoured.

gallery_36896_1819_20125.jpg

• Like 2

Playing catch-up!!!

I've been very busy this weekend (blame the tribbles, as always), but in fact I did spend yesterday hanging out in the galley!  I had one of my "throw things into the crock pot and see what happens" mornings.... it was rather successful flavor-wise, though it does not look like much:

20150802_131410_zps44dumi5p.jpg

Thai-style coconut shredded chicken

Ingredients:

5 bonesless, skinless chicken thighs

About half a can of coconut cream

About half a jar of Trader Joe's Sambal Matah (or mix of fresh veggies and spices, heavy on ginger and lemongrass and pepper)

Tomatoes cut into thick chunks (you could also add bell peppers, if you like those)

Coconut flour (optional - for thickening)

This is about as easy as it comes.  Dump your chicken into a crock pot (I put mine in still frozen!).  pour coconut cream and sambal matah on top.  Dump in veggies.  Cook on low for eight hours while you do other things.  Shred the chicken with a fork and serve over rice or noodles or - in my case - zoodles!  If it comes out watery, add some coconut flour (just a bit!) for instant thickening.

My review: tasty, though I would have added more tomato, and might have played with the proportions a bit more to avoid the "watery curry" issue.  Tasted a bit like panang curry, anyway.  Mmmmm.

My taste-tester's review: I fed this to my father when he came by to help me with my sprinklers.  "This is shockingly delicious!" He said, likely surprised it tasted so much better than it looked.... ha!  Then, "Give me some to take home to your mother."  Success!

• Like 3

Here you go, chicken cheesesteaks (paleo or not, up to you)

2 chicken breasts pounded flat

1 red bell pepper

5 scallions

Garlic

3 T shredded skim mozzarella

Olive oil

Salt, pepper, tobasco (I used chipotle tobasco)

Salt, pepper, and spray olive oil on your chicken breasts

Grill the chicken 

While the chicken is grilling, cut the bell pepper into tiny strips

Dice the scallions, mash and dice the garlic

Put a tsp or so of olive oil in a pan and heat 

(don't forget about the chicken--I turn it once every two minutes on high heat)

Put the garlic and scallions in the pan and sautee for a minute, then add the peppers, and sautee over medium heat for up to five minutes.

When the chicken is done, take it off the grill and let it sit under foil for about 2 min

Slice the chicken very thin, and add to the pan with the pepper mixture.  Pour on the tobasco to taste.  Mix it all up, sprinkle cheese over it, and then put a lid on it so it melts.

Serve on a plate, or in a warmed up hoagie roll.  Of course, it's healthier without the roll, and if you really don't care about calories, add more cheese.  Ours looked like this:

chicken cheesesteak