• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Galley Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS

Work on the Nerdiprise is really coming along,and what's even better, it seems as though we may even get some financial assistance from an external source... which is awesome, but it does come with a caveat.  Of course!

A Vulcan diplomat has unexpectedly arrived to make site visit before aid is offered, and we need to make a good impression! This will require work to stop until the formal dinner and festivities are complete.  Let's all band together and make a good impression!

giphy.gif

HOW IT WORKS:

1. Until the festivities are complete, no teams may work.  Complete the preparations before continuing with your daily Nerdiprise building duties.
  2. To wine and dine the diplomat, each team must prepare a 4 course meal consisting of an appetizer, an entree, a side dish, and a dessert.  The same person can make all 4, or 4 different people can collaborate and each make one, or some combination of the above!
  3. For simplicity's sake, please stick to ONE team for the duration of this mini.
  4. Post your full menu on the Captain's Log thread.  Provide recipes and photos.  You can provide links to your team thread if you want to post them individually there or include everything in one post here, but please do not split your team's submission between multiple posts on the Captain's Log.
  5. The Nerdiprise captains will select the best menu once all 5 have been submitted, and that team will get a boost to their points when the event ends!
  6. Remember that this is optional!  Take care of yourself, focus on your goals, but if you have time for a bit of extra cooking........ your friends can use the help.    :)

giphy.gif

---

Here's my zucchini sticks:
9872a29e35a2675feb12f3727258e56e.jpg

Recipe:

• Cooking spray or oil mister
  • 4 medium zucchini (200g each), ends trimmed
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1â„4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 1â„4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with oil.

Cut each zucchini into 16 sticks about 4 inches long and about 1â„2-inch thick for a total of 64 sticks. Put them on paper towels to blot excess moisture.

In a small bowl, season the egg whites with the salt and black pepper to taste; beat well.

In a medium-sized shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese and garlic powder. Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg whites, and then into the bread crumbs, turning to coat well.

Place the breaded zucchini sticks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and spray the tops with more oil.

Bake until golden brown and tender in the center, 23 to 25 minutes.

Note: For best results, bread the zucchini in two batches so the crumbs don’t clump up. Divide the bread crumbs in half. Bread the first two zucchinis, then dump the crumbs and use the remaining crumbs to finish breading the last two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning on making some paleo brownies tonight.  "Death by Chocolate" from Delicious Obsessions. (I can't link at work.)  If needed, I'll post a pic! Hopefully they're good, but I haven't tried them yet so no promises. They look delicious.

If we still need a side I'm sure I can come up with something but it won't be fancy.

EE -- when you've got your recipe ready, want to put all 4 together and post in the Captain's Log? :)

42fc9a1f79e49bd3dd045a74479caac3.png

Miso-Glazed Roasted Eggplant

• 3 small eggplants, cut in half 
  • 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons minced ginger

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Score the eggplants diagonally, but don't cut all the way through the skin. Salt the flesh and let stand for 10 minutes or so, while the oven preheats. 
  3. Blot with a paper towel to get out some of the moisture.
  4. Brush eggplant flesh with sesame oil and place face-down on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until skin is a bit wrinkly around the edges.
  5. Remove from oven and flip carefully. Turn oven to broil.
  6. Mix miso paste, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger together. Divide and spread across the scored flesh of the eggplant halves. Broil for 5-6 minutes or until glaze becomes a bit shiny.

• Like 1

EE -- when you've got your recipe ready, want to put all 4 together and post in the Captain's Log? :)

Will do!

So I made Death by Chocolate brownies from this website.

It was super easy... as in throw everything in a blender and blend, pour in pan, bake consume.  They do taste a little bit like banana, but they're still REALLY good.

Death By Chocolate Brownies

2015-08-26-20-28-21.jpg

Ingredients:

-1 cup mashed banana (about 2)
-2 eggs
-2 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 tbsp. almond milk
-½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
-1 cup cocoa powder
-¼ cup honey
½ tsp. baking soda 

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
2. Place everything in blender except baking soda and puree until smooth.
3. Pulse in baking soda and spread batter into prepared dish.
4.Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until knife comes out clean

Yay! we're back to posting! Since Med bay is done, I'll be spending more time over here again. Last night's adventure was shiitake bok choy soba and it was delicious! I adapted it from this blog  The original is vegan and gluten free, mine is just vegetarian. I also upped the sauce a bit and changed the ratios around a smidge.

Taste test: My husband again. He loved it despite being skeptical of all things green and plant-like. He thought the mushrooms were the best part because of how they are fried up and full of umami goodness!

Sorry for the bad photo, the last serving is my lunch today and i dont have a good camera and i'm hungry!

iLe0ldV.jpg?1

SHIITAKE BOK CHOY SOBA NOODLE BOWL

Serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups, washed and sliced shiitake mushrooms

1 large bok choy

2 bunches of buckwheat soba (usually comes in a 3 bunch pack of about 8oz)

3/8 cup soy sauce, divided

3/8 cup mirin

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed

3/8 cup toasted sesame oil

sesame seeds to garnish

METHOD:

–  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Cook noodles per package instructions, drain and rinse with warm water.

–  While water is coming to a boil, prepare mushrooms, sauce, and bok choy.

–  In a large non stick sauté pan heat butter with 1/4 cup soy sauce and add mushrooms.  Give a quick stir to coat and then cook on medium high heat for 6 minutes (do your best to not stir the after the initial mix).  Give them another stir and cook an additional two minutes.  The should be brown, slightly crispy and a little caramelized.  Set aside until noodles are prepared.

–  For the sauce, combine mirin, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and 1/8 cup of soy sauce.

–  For the bok choy, trim off end, wash thoroughly and dry and chop into thick strips.

–  In a large wok combine noodles, sauce, bok choy and mushrooms.  Cook over medium high heat until bok choy is wilted (2-3 min).  Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!

Hey guys!  Last night, I decided to experiment and make some beef meatballs!  I wanted to do it with stuff I had around the house as opposed to running around looking for fresh spices.  The result was actually pretty good!

20150828_192559_zpssl7mjoxh.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 lb ground beef (I used 96/4)
  • 2 eggs (in retrospect, 3 might have been better!)
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (or any kind - if you want to make it paleo, you can use something else)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • Fresh or dried minced onion (I used dried)
  • Garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic if you're feeling ambitious)
  • Italian seasoning (or fresh oregano, parsley, etc)
  • Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix everything in a mixing bowl.  Season to taste - I used pretty healthy dashes of all the spices.  Then form little meatballs by rolling the mixture in your hands and plop them onto a cookie sheet.  I didn't do this BUT you may want to spray the cookie sheet to keep them from sticking.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes (I did 30, and it was too much!).  Makes ~36.

Easy peasy!

My review: This really hit the spot for my meatball craving, though more egg and less cook time would have made these more moist.

My taste-tester was my wife, who NEVER eats from-scratch food that I make, so this was A HUGE DEAL!!!!  She said they were really good!  But echoed that they were a bit dry and should have come out of the oven sooner.  Next time.

I'm hosting a dinner party tonight, so more from me later. ^_^

Grilled Cinnamon Apples:

108ae8f61b8db9664cbb082a0477c8b0.jpg

• 2 apples, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1/2 cup/120 mL water
  • 1/4 cup/60 mL lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon/5 mL cinnamon
Preheat grill for medium heat. Combine water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add apple slices to mixture. In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar. Place apples on grill rack and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, turning once. Once cooked, place apples on a large dish and sprinkle with sugar mixture.

>>These are super easy if you're already grilling something. I was especially happy that my rather lackadaisical grill cleaning methods (nothing more than taking a grill brush to the grill while it's still hot after each use) didn't contaminate the apples at all. I threw these on after I was done grilling some hot dogs for dinner.

My review: Yummy! Try to sprinkle the cinnamon sugar more evenly next time. 

Husband's review: Yummy! It's like an apple-flavored snickerdoodle cookie. 

Kids: surprisingly, both kids refused them. Apparently apples are supposed to be raw and crunchy, and it kind of weirded them out when "apples" were cooked an floppy. Their loss! All the more for the rest of us. :D

• Like 2

Grilled Cinnamon Apples:

108ae8f61b8db9664cbb082a0477c8b0.jpg

• 2 apples, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1/2 cup/120 mL water
  • 1/4 cup/60 mL lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon/5 mL cinnamon
Preheat grill for medium heat. Combine water and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add apple slices to mixture. In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar. Place apples on grill rack and allow to cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, turning once. Once cooked, place apples on a large dish and sprinkle with sugar mixture.

>>These are super easy if you're already grilling something. I was especially happy that my rather lackadaisical grill cleaning methods (nothing more than taking a grill brush to the grill while it's still hot after each use) didn't contaminate the apples at all. I threw these on after I was done grilling some hot dogs for dinner.

My review: Yummy! Try to sprinkle the cinnamon sugar more evenly next time. 

Husband's review: Yummy! It's like an apple-flavored snickerdoodle cookie. 

Kids: surprisingly, both kids refused them. Apparently apples are supposed to be raw and crunchy, and it kind of weirded them out when "apples" were cooked an floppy. Their loss! All the more for the rest of us. :D

Those look really good. 

Galley!  I have many items for you!

On Saturday, I had a dinner party.  I made two new recipes, both with a Caribbean bent.  They were delicious.  Here is my plate:

20150829_202344_zpsmmtvem71.jpg

I've made this chicken before (garlic lemon ginger marinade yum yum), and rice is rice, but the veggies and slaw were new, and good.  Breakdown:

Caribbean Vegetables

I followed the recipe, but based on the comments, I pretty much doubled all the spices.  Came out fragrant and hearty, yum!

Taste tester review: My family came for dinner.  Everyone loved it, but most hilarious was my aunt, who ate FOUR servings.  My mom grilled me about the contents of the sauce and refused to believe it was just spices and low sodium chicken broth.  WINNING.

Tangy Jamaican Cole Slaw

This appealed to me because it doesn't use mayo.  Yeah!  I followed the recipe but subbed in some stevia drops for the sugar.  Even my mother, who swears stevia tastes terrible, did not notice.  The entire giant bowl of slaw was devoured. :D  I liked this slaw quite a bit - it was sweet and a little bit tangy as advertised, but didn't feel heavy at all.

There was also homemade peach cheesecake bars..... but my wife made those, so I can't take fredit. :P

And then last night, I decided to recreate something my mother often made for me as a breakfast comfort food.... good for lingering at the table on Sunday mornings.  Or as breakfast-for-dinner, as the case may be. :D  It helps that my friend R brought me a bunch of fresh produce from his garden and some freshly laid eggs.  I love having a friend who keeps chickens....

20150830_211231_zpsepryctfr.jpg

Ingredients:

• 3 eggs
  • ~1/4 cup of milk
  • 2 summer squashes of your choice (I used one zucchini and one yellow squash)
  • ~4oz kielbasa or other sausage of choice
  • Green onion
  • Salt and pepper

Cut up your sausage and dump it in a big pan with a little bit of oil.  Brown it until it starts looking rosy (if you're using raw sausage, make sure it cooks ALL the way through before you continue).  Peel and cut up your squashes.  The dish will be way more tender if your squashes don't have skin, so don't skip this step!!!  Once your sausage is nicely browned, toss all your squash into the pan.  Cook for another few minutes, until the squash starts getting soft.  Meanwhile, in a bowl, whip 3 eggs with milk and more salt and pepper (if desired).  Once your squash and sausage are about ready to go, pour your egg mixture into the pan.  Cook over medium-low heat, allowing the eggs to cook through, though with the milk, they should still be a little soft and runnier than you're probably used to with American-style scrambled eggs.  Once eggs are almost done, add some green onion (however much you want!), finish cooking, then eat.

If you're me, you'll eat the whole pan in one go...............

It's got a very fresh, almost spring-like taste (probably because of the green onion and the nicely tender squash).  Really filling and tasty - 100% success at breakfast for dinner was had for sure.

• Like 1