• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

starsapart

Galley Team (Assassins Mini Challenge)

Belated post from Saturday...Sorry, been having connectivity issues...

This is my recipe for Garden Pickles.  I grew up on a farm, and every Summer, we'd harvest whatever was fresh in the garden, or just use extra/leftover veggies to make these pickles.  We had one container, that we would start with the first harvest of cukes and maters, and just kept adding veggies as the season went along.  We'd add more "sauce" as it got low from being absorbed by the veggies as well as from eating.  By continually adding to the same container, the flavor just keeps getting better all Summer!  Feel free to use any veggie you like!

Garden Pickles

cucumbers

bell peppers

onions

tomatoes

- or any other fresh veggie you so choose

olive oil

vinegar

garlic powder

onion powder

Italian seasoning herb blend

mineral salt

cracked peppercorn blend

chop veggies into bite sized chunks

mix enough of the vinaigrette to cover the veggies, seasoning to taste

stir veggies in vinaigrette to coat

cover and refrigerate overnight (at least)

add veggies and vinaigrette throughout the Summer to have a steady supply all season long

11041563_903840466365177_736988254722679

This pic was taken on Friday...I used the leftover veggies from the Sloppy Joes

11224557_904855029597054_358054447409411

This one was taken on Saturday, when we ate them with our lunch...

Taste Tester:  Hubby says they are great...he actually begs for me to make them each year.  They are delicious and very refreshing as a side with just about anything...especially if it's grilled!

Fellow Assassins, Today I had my first con hangover. After a writing panel, video games panel, a steampunk poetry slam contest, and a cosplay contest it was busy for a Sunday. I present My offering to the galley. Recipe from give me some oven via Pintrest.

*Disclaimer: I had help cutting the chicken because my knife cuts suck.

You can serve this over your favorite starch or starch substitute. I used quinoa because I had some around.

Skinny Honey Lemon Chicken

YIELD: 4 SERVINGS

PREP: 10 MINS COOK: 10 MINS TOTAL: 20 MINS

INGREDIENTS:

SKINNY HONEY LEMON CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:

1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless (raw) chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

3 tablespoons soy sauce (if making this gluten-free, be sure to use GF soy sauce)

2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

salt and pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

Honey Lemon Sauce (see below)

optional toppings: toasted sesame seeds, thinly-sliced green onions, extra lemon zest, lemon slices

HONEY LEMON SAUCE INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup chicken stock (I forgot stock so made a quick stock sauce was a lighter color in recipe)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

3 tablespoons honey (or more/less to taste)

2 tablespoons cornstarch (you can arrowroot if Paleo but you might need to experiment on amount for desired sauce thickness)

zest of 1 lemon

pinch of ground ginger

(optional: sriracha, for heat) *edited*

DIRECTIONS:

Combine the chicken, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar to a large ziplock bag, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 8 hours.

When you are ready to cook the chicken, drain and transfer it to a separate plate. Season the chicken on both sides with a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. And in a separate bowl, whisk the honey lemon sauce ingredients together until combined.

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute for 5-7 minutes or until it is cooked through and no longer pink inside, stirring and turning the chicken occasionally for even cooking. Transfer the chicken to a separate (clean) plate with a slotted spoon.

Pour the (whisked) marinade into the empty saute pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce reaches a low boil and thickens. Add in some sriracha if you would like for extra heat, to taste. (Feel free to also season with extra salt and pepper, or extra honey or lemon.)

Add the chicken back into the pan and toss until it is evenly coated with the sauce. Remove from heat and serve the chicken immediately, topped with optional toppings if desired.

*It was good for a quick recipe but will add vegetables next time for a fuller stir fry dish.

574c7e5eedabc87eee34e3c4a665f365.jpg

I have squished 15 Tribbles.

Also, I have another meal to share (pics and recipe tomorrow, because it's late and I have to get up early).

For Husband's birthday dinner, I made grilled salmon, grilled baby broccoli with hollandaise sauce, and seasoned tater tots (was supposed to be sweet potato puffs, but the store didn't have any).

Does someone mind updating the spread sheet(s?) for me?

I have squished 15 Tribbles.

Also, I have another meal to share (pics and recipe tomorrow, because it's late and I have to get up early).

For Husband's birthday dinner, I made grilled salmon, grilled baby broccoli with hollandaise sauce, and seasoned tater tots (was supposed to be sweet potato puffs, but the store didn't have any).

Does someone mind updating the spread sheet(s?) for me?

Edit: obviously I had taste testers, too, but I should probably mention that I will be adding their thoughts tomorrow when I post the rest of the details.

As promised, the details of last night's dinner.

Grilled salmon dinner

Salmon:

Drizzle olive oil over the fish.

Sprinkle with a healthy does of cumin and thyme.  Add a pinch of red Hawaiian salt, and the leaves from a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Grill for ~20 minutes, or until flaky.  I put the fish on some aluminum foil before putting on the grill, but do it however you prefer.

Broccoli and Sauce:

Drizzle olive oil over baby broccoli and grill until tender.

For the sauce, melt 1/2 cup butter/ghee (I've not gotten this to work right with margarine).

Whisk together 4 egg yolks and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.

Put the egg mixture in a double boiler and keep whisking.  Add the melted butter a little bit at a time, whisking until it's incorporated.  Don't add more until it's all mixed.  Be very careful not to heat the sauce too hot, or you'll end up with scrambled eggs.  If it starts to stick, take it off the heat!

Whisk in a pinch of cayenne pepper and about 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard.

Potatoes:

Cook bag of crispy crowns per the instructions.

Toss with a healthy amount of Italian seasoning and a pinch of red Hawaiian salt (or whatever kind of salt you have...I felt like being fancy).

Taste testers:  Husband says "the fish is excellent, the broccoli is good, the sauce is good, and the potatoes are good."  Little Bug (the four year old) said "Yummy yummy in my tummy!"  And, Little One (the 1.5 year old) didn't say anything, but excitedly ate it all up. :)

• Like 1

I am finally posting to this thread!!! W000t!

Tonight I made Eggroll in a bowl!

Pic in my gallery!

Full recipe here, because I'm lazy and I really hope I don't have to copy/paste the thing here.

I made two modifications to the recipe:

• I used green chile sausage (it was on sale at Sprouts) which gave the dish a bit of a kick
  • I added a small tablespoon of tapioca starch, because I wanted a bit of carbs in there.

Needless to say, this dish was AMAZING and everybody needs to try it immediately. I gave a little bit to my boyfriend to try and he said "That is really not bad" which translates to "I really like it and I'd eat it again." I'm glad I understand boyfriend-speak. He then proceeded to tell me it would go really well with some baked wonton strips, at which point my face looked like this:

mckayladisappointed.jpg

I see what you did there...

• Like 3

Pic in my gallery!

Full recipe here, because I'm lazy and I really hope I don't have to copy/paste the thing here.

• I used green chile sausage (it was on sale at Sprouts) which gave the dish a bit of a kick
  • I added a small tablespoon of tapioca starch, because I wanted a bit of carbs in there.

Needlessly to say, this dish was AMAZING and everybody needs to try it immediately. I gave a little bit to my boyfriend to try and he said "That is really not bad" which translates to "I really like it and I'd eat it again." I'm glad I understand boyfriend-speak. He then proceeded to tell me it would go really well with some baked wonton strips, at which point my face looked like this:

mckayladisappointed.jpg

That looks amazing. And it looks perfect and certainly doesn't need wonton strips. :D

Pic in my gallery!

Needlessly to say, this dish was AMAZING and everybody needs to try it immediately. I gave a little bit to my boyfriend to try and he said "That is really not bad" which translates to "I really like it and I'd eat it again." I'm glad I understand boyfriend-speak. He then proceeded to tell me it would go really well with some baked wonton strips, at which point my face looked like this:

mckayladisappointed.jpg

I am so going to try this! Simple + veggies = Awesome!

• Like 1

Hello Galley team! I'm taking a break from the med bay for some food! Last night's adventure was crock-pot pork carnitas!

Because a pile of meat isn't that attractive to photograph, here was our burrito bowl spread

rvcFuOW.jpg?1

My review: Yummmmm! The pan frying helped get the yummy crispy bits that I love! The flavor was perfect for such a small list of ingredients, and the crockpot timing was perfect for a workday meal.

Taste tester (husband): Very good, almost too salty. The jalapeno gave a great level of spice, and the oregano and cumin gave a good depth of flavor.  I know it was good because he went back for seconds, took more than he was actually able to eat, and still wanted it for lunch today.

INGREDIENTS
  • 5 lb / 2.5 kg pork shoulder, skinless, bone-in (4lb/2kg without bone) (Note 3)
  • 1 onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
  • 1¼ tbsp table salt OR 2 tbsp kosher salt or sea salt flakes (Note 4)
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 oranges, juice only
Rub
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Rinse and dry the pork shoulder, rub in salt and pepper.
  2. Combine the rub ingredients then rub all over the pork.
  3. Place the pork in a slow cooker (fat cap up), top with the onion, jalapeño, minced garlic (don't worry about spreading it) and squeeze over the juice of the orange.
  4. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
  5. The meat should be tender and falling off the bone. Remove from the slow cooker and let cool slightly. Then shred the pork using two forks.
  6. Skim off the fat from the juices remaining in the slow cooker and discard the fat. Then if you are left with a lot more than 1½ to 2 cups of juice, then reduce it (either in the slow cooker on the sauté setting with the lid off, or in a saucepan). Set aside.
To Freeze
  1. Pour the juices over the pulled pork and store in ziplock bags or airtight containers. Freeze in small batches for convenience. To use, defrost completely before following the next steps to brown
To Serve
  1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non stick pan over high heat. Place shredded pork into the pan and press down and cook until the bottom side is golden brown and crusty.
  2. Pour over the juices and serve immediately (if you are using defrosted carnitas, this is not applicable as the juices are already on the meat).
  3. If you are reheating the carnitas, then flip and cook the other side briefly just to warm through. I really recommend only making one side crusty and leaving the other side juicy and moist.

Pic in my gallery!

Needless to say, this dish was AMAZING and everybody needs to try it immediately. I gave a little bit to my boyfriend to try and he said "That is really not bad" which translates to "I really like it and I'd eat it again." I'm glad I understand boyfriend-speak. He then proceeded to tell me it would go really well with some baked wonton strips, at which point my face looked like this:

mckayladisappointed.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh another Eggroll in a Bowl convert.  Told you. :D

• Like 1

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh another Eggroll in a Bowl convert.  Told you. :D

I didn't realize just how much I would like it! Now I'll have to keep trying this and make variants, because OMG cooking adventures :D

>.> eggroll in a bowl sounded good to me, so...

d6f00c10-b150-474b-9eb4-b92bc276bd68_zps

(I used the same recipe as Kagetsukai above, only I replaced some of the soy sauce with water and used turkey sausage instead of pork).

It was good! All together I ate 1/2 pound of turkey sausage and half a bag of coleslaw mix and it was less than 450 calories. I'm stuffed. I'll eat the rest tomorrow :tongue:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Catching up for yesterday!

Since the "cabbage and sausage in a pan" thing seems to be popular here, I present to you a Russian variant.  This is my grandmother's recipe, slightly tweaked by my mother and then recreated by me.  Mine is not as good as theirs, because kitchen magic (if you'd ever eaten my mother's cooking, you would understand, but Kagetsukai and Achaedia and blkhole24601 can all back me up on the fact that my mother is secretly a wizard).  Still, it's tasty and super low cal and pretty easy, so who could ask for more?

20150806_113129_zpssdfvxdrz.jpg

To make ~4 large servings, you'll need:

• Whole head of green cabbage
  • A yellow onion
  • Tomato paste (a couple tablespoons, or to taste)
  • 1-2 bay leaves
  • ~8 oz of Polish sausage (or you could do it with almost any other kind of sausage, franks, etc.... I recommend pork, not beef)
  • Splash of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

You will also probably need a big pot.  I used a stockpot.  The cabbage cooks down, but it takes up a LOT of room at first.

Instructions:

• Cut the cabbage.  It doesn't really matter how, though smaller strips are good.  You can buy shredded cabbage if you want, but halve the rest of the recipe if you do as that's less than half a head.
  • Put your pot on the stove and put in a bit of olive oil.  Add the cabbage on medium high heat, stir it around a bit.  Leave it on the burner while you...
  • Chop the onion, again in rough strips.  Toss it in with the cabbage, stir again.  I like to salt here, but you don't have to.
  • Add about half a cup of water, reduce the heat slightly, and put a lid on your pot.  Let it cook for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • While it cooks, cut up your sausage.  When the 10 minutes are up and the sausage looks cooked (translucent, a bit more yellow than green), dump in the sausage and the tomato paste, mix it all up.  It'll be kind of watery at this point, and turn faintly red with the paste.  Drop in your bay leaves and close the lid again.
  • Cook ~5 more minutes.  You're done!

Simple as it gets.  I love cabbage anyway (I think I'm culturally obligated), but it's particularly yummy stewed like this.  Mine isn't a full-flavored as my mother's, so since she SWEARS she adds no additional seasoning, I may experiment with more tomato paste, more salt/pepper, etc.  A better (and more full-flavored) sausage than I had access too might help as well.  Still, yum yum!

No taste tester as I made this for myself while working from home yesterday and the cats wouldn't count even if I could get them to eat cabbage. :D

• Like 2

Husband had an "interesting" cooking adventure last night.  He made stir fry, and started the veggies while I was on my way home.  I was picking up the meat, since all we had at the house was frozen, and the idea was I'd get home, we'd throw that in, it would be done shortly and then Little Bug and I would eat then run to his gymnastics class.

Traffic was terrible, so I didn't get home in time to do anything more than grab Little Bug and run out the door (we had a snack in the car, so he didn't go to class on an empty stomach).  While we were doing that, Husband and Little One finished making dinner.

Husband decided to grill the steak I'd picked up.  So, he gets the grill ready, puts the steak on, sets a timer for when to flip it, and goes about getting other stuff around.  Little One is playing outside while this is going on.

Timer goes off, Husband goes to flip the steak, and notices the temperature gauge is pegged at as hot as it will get.  Uh oh...  He cautiously opens the grill, and is greeted by a wall of fire.  Turns off the gas, but stuff is still on fire.  Removes (assumed to be charcoal) steak, and very carefully turns off the propane at the tank.  Since the fire seemed well contained by the grill, he let it burn itself out, under supervision (yay not having to spray it with the fire extinguisher).

Once the fire was out, he took a look at the grill (no damage!) and the steak.  Did you know you can grill a steak perfectly in 4 minutes?  We didn't, but apparently Little One did, and was tired of waiting for dinner. :D

• Like 2

Catching up for yesterday!

Since the "cabbage and sausage in a pan" thing seems to be popular here, I present to you a Russian variant.  This is my grandmother's recipe, slightly tweaked by my mother and then recreated by me.  Mine is not as good as theirs, because kitchen magic (if you'd ever eaten my mother's cooking, you would understand, but Kagetsukai and Achaedia and blkhole24601 can all back me up on the fact that my mother is secretly a wizard).  Still, it's tasty and super low cal and pretty easy, so who could ask for more?

20150806_113129_zpssdfvxdrz.jpg

To make ~4 large servings, you'll need:

• Whole head of green cabbage
  • A yellow onion
  • Tomato paste (a couple tablespoons, or to taste)
  • 1-2 bay leaves
  • ~8 oz of Polish sausage (or you could do it with almost any other kind of sausage, franks, etc.... I recommend pork, not beef)
  • Splash of olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

You will also probably need a big pot.  I used a stockpot.  The cabbage cooks down, but it takes up a LOT of room at first.

Instructions:

• Cut the cabbage.  It doesn't really matter how, though smaller strips are good.  You can buy shredded cabbage if you want, but halve the rest of the recipe if you do as that's less than half a head.
  • Put your pot on the stove and put in a bit of olive oil.  Add the cabbage on medium high heat, stir it around a bit.  Leave it on the burner while you...
  • Chop the onion, again in rough strips.  Toss it in with the cabbage, stir again.  I like to salt here, but you don't have to.
  • Add about half a cup of water, reduce the heat slightly, and put a lid on your pot.  Let it cook for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • While it cooks, cut up your sausage.  When the 10 minutes are up and the sausage looks cooked (translucent, a bit more yellow than green), dump in the sausage and the tomato paste, mix it all up.  It'll be kind of watery at this point, and turn faintly red with the paste.  Drop in your bay leaves and close the lid again.
  • Cook ~5 more minutes.  You're done!

Simple as it gets.  I love cabbage anyway (I think I'm culturally obligated), but it's particularly yummy stewed like this.  Mine isn't a full-flavored as my mother's, so since she SWEARS she adds no additional seasoning, I may experiment with more tomato paste, more salt/pepper, etc.  A better (and more full-flavored) sausage than I had access too might help as well.  Still, yum yum!

No taste tester as I made this for myself while working from home yesterday and the cats wouldn't count even if I could get them to eat cabbage. :D

Interesting. The way I make it is that I let the cabbage boil by itself to settle and I use the oil to sautee the sausage and onion to give it more flavor.

I think I'll have to make some bigos for you and see if you like it - it adds sauerkraut and a whole lot of other spices to the mix. And more meat. And wild mushrooms. I'm drooling...

Not sure about that.........

It's a hypothesis! :tongue: