Sovellis woke with a splitting headache. He felt woozy and disoriented. Looking around, he saw he was back in Noor's stone shack. How had he gotten there? Wasn't he just at the ruins of that tower? Despite feeling awful, at least he could feel that the fae beast's hold on him had been broken.

Noor calmly chopped vegetables,  layering them over  chunks of rabbit meat to start a stew.  She  ached all over and  her mind felt crisped,  but  it was over for now. The tower was free of beasts and she could finish her research and collapse  it's haunted hall.  Sovellis was freed for now.

"What the hell happened...?" he croaked, his voice hoarse from disuse. How long had he been out?

"You were almost taken by a faebeast in that blasted tower. Do you remember anything? Did you accidentally talk to it?"

Noor crossed to him and handed him one ofher heavy mugs filled with  strong smelling tea

Taking the mug, he tried to remember. "Ishu, I talked to Ishu."  He shook his head. "But that makes no sense, Ishu couldn't be there. I had to get out, but I couldn't." His memories were a confusing mess, and didn't seem to flit together cohesively.

"AH. it stole an image from your mind and tricked you into speaking  to it. There was too much  magic in that  place to be safe."  She shuddered, glad that the creature was gone.

He stared down into the steaming mug, slumping. "I'm sorry, I should have been stronger. I'm not being any help at all. Just putting both of us in greater danger."

She placed  one large gnarled hand on his shoulder.  "Stop.  You know how dangerous  fae can be. That's why I waited fro there to be two of us to go back.  Had it been just me, it could have taken me I would still be there in its clutches.

He looked up at his old friend with a sad smile. "Thanks for saving my life. Again. Heh, my family should have paid you double."

She laughed long and hard remembering. "Your family pays plenty well. You should send them a letter after this.  Speaking with Ishu for real might do you well."

Nodding and fiddling with his signet ring, he sniffed the tea, then took a cautious sip. It was surprisingly good, if rather pungent and strong. "Were you able to find out anything helpful at least?"

"Well, I  came close to sorting through all the magics and traced the curse to the fae's room.  Now that its gone and  made a bond  to not return, I can go back and finish my work. One thing I do know is that this curse can not be dispelled and has to be survived or bested."

"A curse that can't be dispelled? I didn't know such a thing could be done. Damned fae. Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job besting it so far!" He still felt a little ashamed for being tricked and captured by the fae, but he tried instead to focus on his friend's success. "So, back to the tower again?"

"Yes, soon.  First though we need to make you well again. You didn't eat properly for several days, or meditate."

That explained why he felt so horrible. "I'll be fine, I should just need a day or so. I don't want to slow you down."

"And I could  use a day to research and  rest before heading back to work.  We shall have stew and  relax tonight,  spend tomorrow regrouping. Then we can see how well you have recovered and  if the fae keeps its word."

At the mention of stew, his stomach growled. Nodding, his smile grew as a spark of hope returned to him. "Good plan, especially the stew part!"

"I had good hunting today.  A brace of rabbits,  a small deer. Hunting w iht a cat is so difernt than with a dog."  SHe beamed  at the large sleeping cat napping inthe sunlight

"Heheh, I bet, a predator that large that can also sneak up on things? Terrifying!" He stretched his stiff limbs, trying to feel closer to normal. This quest had not been kind to him so far, but he had to find a way to move forward.

<-------<<<

Woo! Another challenge! Last one did not go so well for me. My poor elf succumbed to the pressures he faced, but luckily he had his friend Noor there to defeat the fae beast and drag him to safety. This challenge I am back with the rangers, and will look very different for me, because school stuff is ramping up again. I am going to focus on balance. In therapy I realized there were 5 basic areas that I need to succeed in to be a happy, healthy person. Academia, spirituality, physical fitness, chores (basic adulting), and reducing my drinking. I have shown many times over that I can rock any one of these at a time. The problem is that I need to make them all work at the same time. For this challenge, I must do something productive in each category to be counted successful. Four of five categories accomplished is a successful day. This feels uncomfortable for me, because it will place less emphasis on several things I've been doing awesome at and more emphasis on things I've been avoiding. I am also trying to practice greater patience and empathy for myself, but most of the time I still want to kick myself in the face. We will see how this goes, hopefully it works better than the last challenge! Woooo! *dives in*

Also, I am starting my challenge tomorrow and counting two days past the official end of the challenge because I mixed up what day of the week it was. Oops.

• Like 2

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

A New Beginning C1:  A Rough Start, b=But Still a Start

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 15 | DEX: 8 | STA: 12 | CON: 11 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 12

Yeah! Glad to see you back, mellon nin!

Balancing all these areas of life at once is very hard. I've been struggling with that too. Maybe for starters, just do one small thing in each area? That'll make it easier to accomplish everything you want to accomplish. Most of my goals are accomplish-able in 15-ish minute chunks, and it's really helping banish the mentality of "AAAH I DONT HAVE TIME FOR ALL THESE THINGS THAT ARE ALL CRUCIAL TO LIFE". :P

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you're back on the wagon! I'm here rooting for ya! :D

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm seeing a lot of "life balance" challenges this time around. Must be because school is starting up soon.

Shadri's idea of breaking your tasks down into 15-minute (or less) chunks seems like a great one. That's something I probably need to do, myself. I keep skipping things on my to do list because I don't feel like I have time for them. But maybe if I just break it all down...

4 out of 5 categories per day seems like a good way to give yourself a little leeway. You got this. :)

• Like 3

Yeah! Glad to see you back, mellon nin!

Balancing all these areas of life at once is very hard. I've been struggling with that too. Maybe for starters, just do one small thing in each area? That'll make it easier to accomplish everything you want to accomplish. Most of my goals are accomplish-able in 15-ish minute chunks, and it's really helping banish the mentality of "AAAH I DONT HAVE TIME FOR ALL THESE THINGS THAT ARE ALL CRUCIAL TO LIFE". :tongue:

Anyway, I'm glad to see that you're back on the wagon! I'm here rooting for ya! :D

Mae govannen, sut naa lle umien? I have been wondering just how to determine what qualifies for having done something in a category, and a 15 minute minimum really sounds like a good place to start, I think I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion! It really can get overwhelming to try and do everything every day. Blegh.

Hmm, I'm seeing a lot of "life balance" challenges this time around. Must be because school is starting up soon.

Shadri's idea of breaking your tasks down into 15-minute (or less) chunks seems like a great one. That's something I probably need to do, myself. I keep skipping things on my to do list because I don't feel like I have time for them. But maybe if I just break it all down...

4 out of 5 categories per day seems like a good way to give yourself a little leeway. You got this. :)

I noticed that too, and I bet you're right. School definitely makes balancing a much more important issue. I know that's a big part of why I chose this for this challenge!

• Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

The elf woke after a night of fitful rest, only to be greeted with oppressive heat and humidity. Despite this, he was able to get up and make breakfast, while waiting for Noor to wake up. He tried to keep his mind off the growing heat by straightening the cooking area and working on some of his stories. As much as he disliked the idea of going out into the sun or doing anything physically strenuous, he knew that one of them would have to go to the creek for more water today or the heat would be even more dangerous. 

<------<<<

I dislike summer. I dislike it very much. I am soooo ready for fall. I miss the cold. The little ac unit we finally installed in the living room is simply not up to the task today. I am going to do my best to not leave this room all day, but I have already made some progress on my goals! I actually checked my emails (which is always anxiety provoking for me), and opened up my essays to look at the revisions my advisor suggested. She is a notoriously thorough and... abrupt... editor, so I was kinda shocked when there were only like 3 comments total on my essays. I know this means she thinks they're pretty good already, but my brain keeps trying to find some other meaning for this. I also did my basic adulting already! I broke down a pork loin that we got from costco into 4 pairs of pork chops, 2 roasts, and a pile of stew meat. I plan on reading some out of the poetic edda today, but I'm not really sure what to do for the physical fitness portion of my goal. I can't really do anything outside today, so I guess that leaves me with lifting, but there isn't any ac in that part of the apartment. Maybe I can bring the weights into the living room. Hmm... 

• Like 3

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

Found you! 

Love your intro story post! This is a GREAT challenge for you, really love the way you've set it up to work on the things that really need work.

Also this 

I know this means she thinks they're pretty good already, but my brain keeps trying to find some other meaning for this.

I KNOW THESE FEELS! SOVELLIS'S BRAIN LISTEN TO ME YOU ARE OVERCOMPLICATING THIS! (now to get my brain to listen to this as well) 

G7UWo.gif

• Like 3

level 21 magic cat druid, doodlie for life

sucking at something is the first step to being sort of good at something

past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Current

(old) Battle LogBattle Log

You could do some body weight stuff in the living room with the AC on right? That's why I'm finishing my basement, nice and cool down there.

Seconded, doing BW work right in front of the AC is a great workout strategy for hot, humid summer days.

Thanks for the suggestions, this is actually what I ended up doing. Don't know why I didn't think of it myself. :-P

Found you! 

Love your intro story post! This is a GREAT challenge for you, really love the way you've set it up to work on the things that really need work.

Also this 

I KNOW THESE FEELS! SOVELLIS'S BRAIN LISTEN TO ME YOU ARE OVERCOMPLICATING THIS! (now to get my brain to listen to this as well) 

Haha, thanks, I really like when Noor and I can rp a bit. Hopefully more story is on the way. And yeah, I wish my brain would listen. I guess it will probably just take time.

• Like 3

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

After another night of rest, Sovellis was feeling much more like his usual self. He had discussed their situation with Noor and they had decided it would be best if he traveled to a nearest town, which really wasn't terribly near. There, he could investigate the history of the area, and hopefully find something out about the ruined tower. He could also make occasional trips out to the shack to bring Noor fresh supplies. Now that he was faced with heading out on his own again, he found himself hesitating. Anxiety rose in his chest as he tried to pack his things to go. He had come so close to being taken by that creature, and now he was going to be by himself out in the wilds. What if he failed again? It seemed he didn't have much choice, so he kept packing, even if he dragged his heels about it.

<------<<<

Don't know why I'm struggling so bad today. I did my chores, but that's about it. I need to get ready and go to therapy soon, but I feel I should get something else done first. I really need to work on my essays. Once I get started on it, I should be fine, but actually sitting down and opening the file.... ugh.

• Like 4

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

seconding Jenn, when I had really horrible essay procrastination my goal was to do 10 minutes everyday, or one minute on the days where ten minutes felt like too much. Getting myself to open the word document was always the hardest part. Give yourself permission to walk away after however long you can handle and feel truly grateful and successful that you did ANY work on it. Don't judge the amount (this is very important). I always tried to do this first thing after meditation so that I built up momentum for my day. 

• Like 3

Sovellis eventually got his things together and headed out onto the road. He wished he had had more time to talk with Noor before he left, but she had already dove back into studying the curse. At least it wasn't quite as hot today, he thought as sweat began dripping down his back, soaking his shirt beneath the pack. He ended up not making great progress towards the town, but at least he had started.

<------<<<

I didn't end up getting anything more done before therapy, but I think getting me out of house helped a lot cause when I got back I set a timer (per your suggestions) and started working on my essays. By the time the timer went off, I had actually finished one of them! I also tried a short beginner's yoga video I found online. It seemed simple and easy enough, but by the end, I was sweating and breathing hard! Yoga is deceptively hard. Now for some food, and then reading.

• Like 4

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

YEAH!!!!! That is so awesome Sovellis! 

Sometimes getting out of the house is exactly what I need to get my day going, way to go reclaiming your day and finishing (!!!!!!!!) one of your essays! You rock!!!giphy.gif

• Like 1

Sovellis woke early and set out on the road again. He already missed Noor's company and wished he wasn't alone on this trip. At least there would be people in town he could talk to, maybe he could even get a gig or two while there. It never hurt to make a couple extra coin. He also very much wanted to get a letter out to his family, so he could confirm that Ishu didn't hold such contempt for him as the fae beast had led him to beleive. He still felt pathetic for having fallen prey to the beast's tricks, but there was nothing he could do about it now. At lunch he sat down under a tree to work on his writings, but found his ink bottle had gone completely dry. Grumbling, he carefully poured a little bit of water into the bottle to try and reconstitute the ink, but could quickly see it was going to be a slow process. With a sigh, he packed his ink away to let it absorb the water and headed off again. The day was very warm again, but the breeze kept it from being too horrible. About midafternoon he came across a narrow but deep washout across the road. It didn't take long to climb down and then back out of it, but the effort left him drenched in sweat and tired. Clearly he hadn't recovered as fully from his ordeal as he thought. Still, he pressed on, wondering how Noor's studies were going.

<------<<<

My best friend, Noor, who I am used to chatting with every morning over messenger, has started her internship, which means my morning routine is really thrown off. (lol, boohoohoo, I know) So far I have been able to recognize the disruption for what it is and keep moving, though it has taken extra effort. Things sorta happened in fits and starts today, but they happened. I went to work on my essays, but my one computer refused to charge properly, and the other refused to open the file properly. I finally got the one computer charging again, and contacted potential participants for my dissertation, so I was still productive academically. I watered the garden, cleaned up a bit, and made bone broth, and I also re-did my altar, which had become dusty and cluttered and a little to representative of the state of my life, lol. I even got myself to lift! It was an abreviated lifting session since I haven't lifted in a while and it is still pretty dang warm. Not the most satisfying day, but not a bad day, definitely.
  • Like 1

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

Also, thanks for cheering me on, I can always count on you guys to bring the positivity! :-D Oh, and if anyone knows of other story based threads sorta like what I do, I'd love to know about them so I can follow them too. I've got a few I follow, but I love stories, so I'm always looking for more!

• Like 2

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

My best friend, Noor, who I am used to chatting with every morning over messenger, has started her internship, which means my morning routine is really thrown off. (lol, boohoohoo, I know) So far I have been able to recognize the disruption for what it is and keep moving, though it has taken extra effort. Things sorta happened in fits and starts today, but they happened. I went to work on my essays, but my one computer refused to charge properly, and the other refused to open the file properly. I finally got the one computer charging again, and contacted potential participants for my dissertation, so I was still productive academically. I watered the garden, cleaned up a bit, and made bone broth, and I also re-did my altar, which had become dusty and cluttered and a little to representative of the state of my life, lol. I even got myself to lift! It was an abreviated lifting session since I haven't lifted in a while and it is still pretty dang warm. Not the most satisfying day, but not a bad day, definitely.

Well done realizing what was wrong with your routine and working at making a new one, finding a new "starting point" can be a challenge sometimes.

Sounds like a VERY productive day for you buddy, well done!

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

That night, a vicious storm woke the elf. The wind drove rain into his eyes as lightning arced across the sky. He huddled down beside a large rock, hoping to hide from at least a little of the wind, but as tired as he was he was unable to get any more rest. The next day, he was exhausted, but despite that he was able to make it to the town. He secured a room for himself at the inn and collapsed onto the bed, shutting out the world. After a night of good rest, he was feeling significantly better. Even before breakfast, he made inquiries about where in town he might be able to research the history of the area, and learned there was a hall of records that might hold some of the information he sought. 

He chatted with other inn patrons over coffee, picking up the local gossip. After breakfast he would have to arrange to get a letter sent home. As much as he knew the words of the fae beast to be false, the pain they caused lingered. He was already fairly productive today, so he felt good about his chances of getting things done.

<------<<<

Didn't post yesterday because the night before, my girlfriend woke me up in the middle of the night to fight with me because I was snoring. Ended up not really getting back to sleep, and then yesterday was pretty much a wash. To make up for that though, I jumped right into working on my essays this morning, and actually finished the revisions on the other two! Now I just need to rewrite the autobiographical essay (by far the hardest one) and I'm completely done! I am going to email the revised essays to my advisor today because I really need the positive feedback. I have had some really terrible experiences with this school that have ingrained in me the ideas that I am incompetent, a terrible student, a slacker, and a terrible writer. All the feedback I've been getting from this advisor has refuted this. I plan on diving into my other goals and getting them out of the way early because we are gaming today, in one form or another. If our friend is still not feeling well enough to play dnd, we will either roll characters for a new game (for just me and Noor), or play board games, or perhaps we should paint minis... we have SO MANY MINIS OMG. So yeah, much better day today so far.

• Like 4

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

After a productive day in the small, predominantly dwarven town, Sovellis enjoyed entertaining a small crowd at the inn, though it wasn't a proper gig. He didn't care, he needed the outlet. During his performance, however, a terrible storm rolled in, and they were all soon thankful for dwarven construction. Near constant lightning and howling winds drove everyone indoors, and those in less sturdily build structures ran for shelter as their roofs began to tear apart. Fueled by attention and readily flowing drink, Sovellis just kept his performance going, distracting all who would listen from the terror outside. 

He eventually made it to bed, and woke feeling happier and healthier than he had in a long time. It clearly had been too long since he had performed. Hopefully he could secure an actual gig soon. When he emerged from his room, he found the town in emergency mode. It turned out that the human quarter had suffered quite badly from the storm, many buildings having been damaged by the strong winds and hail. He offered his labor to aid those impacted by the storm, and though he didn't get around to some of his other tasks for the day, he felt good for his efforts. 

<------<<<

While I was over at Noor's, gaming, a huge storm system moved through our area, causing a good bit of damage. A tornado even touched down not too far from the suburbs. I cleaned most of the bathroom, worked on my altar and participated in online forums, and did sprint intervals, which felt great! The storms have cooled things down enough that I can do stuff outside without dying. I seriously should live in the damned arctic or something if Chicago is too warm for me. Didn't get around to my last essay, mostly because I forgot to plug my computer in last night. Oops. Oh well, I'll get it done tomorrow. Hopefully. For tonight, Black Butler and Skyrim, and trying to organize a group camp out at Devil's Lake in Wisconsin.

• Like 3

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger

So what did you end up doing? gaming or painting minis?

What game are you and Noor going to play together, more DnD or another rpg?

Just curious buddy.

We ended up playing Elder Sign, which was really hard, but awesome! After playing, our dm actually seemed interested in running a call of cthulu game for just me and noor, which would be badass. Of course, given my inclinations, I would always prefer more dnd type fantasy, but call of cthulu sounds great and honestly, if it means I get to game, I'm not going to complain! lol

• Like 2

Lv 1 Wood Elf, 

Lv 7 Wood Elf Ranger