zare the Airmen (hopefully)

zare

I need to meet certain physical standards so here it goes,

First goal: I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 12 min so I'm running 3 miles a day to increase endurance and speed

Second goal: I need to be able to do a certain number of pushups and sit ups so strength training it is, 4 days a week at the gym is the plan

Third goal: I still have 5 lbs to lose so the last goal is to again stick to my diet but also to keep track of and hopefully reduce my calorie intake.

Life goal: honestly don't know what to do for this one, any ideas?

• Like 1

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

STR:7  DEX:7  STA:5  CON:7   WIS:5  CHA:4 

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

Spreadsheet for current challenge

weight loss(start: 275lbs, current:208)

89%
89%

Nice, straight forward challenge, Zare.  Few suggestions though.

First goal: I might suggest replacing a run with some sprinting - that will help air capacity, endurance, and gives you knowledge about what your personal burn out pace is which can let you pace yourself better in your slower runs.  Also I hate running, and sprinting takes less time.  So bias.

Second goal: The best way to do more pushups and sit ups is by doing more pushups and sit ups.  Strength training is all well and good, but I might try to have a more PLP-like program focusing on pushups and sit ups rather than a nebulous strength training program.  I'm assuming you're training for a military PT test - best way to train for the PT test is to pretty much keep doing the test, which won't have you lifting a barbell.

Third goal: How are you keeping track of your diet/what is your diet?  Are you counting, doing a more Paleo-esque approach, or some other method?

Life goals.... eh, you seem to have one already - getting into the military.  Not a shabby life goal, honestly.  Unless you want people to bounce more ideas off of.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

When I run I always do sprints about every km or so, and I understand that doing pushups and situps would be the best way, but I have a hard time pushing myself to my limit with them while with strength training I can with more success, but thank you for your feedback I will definitely give it some consideration

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%

Well, the thing with PLP is, you're looking to develop strength-as-skill rather than just purely pushing the weight as hard as you can. You're not trying to 'push the limits.' It's more like a practice. And since military standards are based on reps, the practice will do you some good.

Also, you might want to talk to Machete about this, as he was a soldier up until recently.

Anyway, good luck!

• Like 2

and phoenix i forgot to say, my diet is paleo esque when i can, it's hard when you are busy and are stuck eating with people that refuse to eat food that has less than 15 ingredients in it lol

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%

yes sir that is the hopes

I was enlisted, so no sirs. Haha.

Anyway, Airman then. Soldiers are Army, I think Navy peeps are called sailors, and Marines are Marines. Have you talked to a recruiter yet, and do you have a rough timeline of when you'd eventually want to do it?

When I run I always do sprints about every km or so, and I understand that doing pushups and situps would be the best way, but I have a hard time pushing myself to my limit with them while with strength training I can with more success, but thank you for your feedback I will definitely give it some consideration

Well, the thing with PLP is, you're looking to develop strength-as-skill rather than just purely pushing the weight as hard as you can. You're not trying to 'push the limits.' It's more like a practice. And since military standards are based on reps, the practice will do you some good.

Also, you might want to talk to Machete about this, as he was a soldier up until recently.

Anyway, good luck!

^What Kishi said.

PLP upped not only my pushup ability, but also my pull up ability a helluva lot faster than my strength training program did in a year and a half.  The strength was there, but the function largely wasn't.  Do a strength training program (which you still haven't told us what you're planning), but make sure you get reps in of those pushups and pull ups.

and phoenix i forgot to say, my diet is paleo esque when i can, it's hard when you are busy and are stuck eating with people that refuse to eat food that has less than 15 ingredients in it lol

I... don't honestly know how to respond to this.  Just because people want to eat crappy food doesn't mean you are required to do so as well, barring literally not being allowed to make or order your own food.  And if that's the case, you should be incredibly conscious about calorie numbers then rather than a specific diet/way to eat, as that's what will help you lose weight.  "Sticking to a diet" is a good plan, but if you try to rationalize "I can't follow X diet plan because of other people" then you need a new method that doesn't rely on others "messing you up" to succeed.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I was enlisted, so no sirs. Haha.

Anyway, Airman then. Soldiers are Army, I think Navy peeps are called sailors, and Marines are Marines. Have you talked to a recruiter yet, and do you have a rough timeline of when you'd eventually want to do it?

yes i have, I took my AFOQT already, and now my recruiter wants to meet sometime this week to sign paperwork and get ready for the physical exam.

• Like 1

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%

I... don't honestly know how to respond to this.  Just because people want to eat crappy food doesn't mean you are required to do so as well, barring literally not being allowed to make or order your own food.  And if that's the case, you should be incredibly conscious about calorie numbers then rather than a specific diet/way to eat, as that's what will help you lose weight.  "Sticking to a diet" is a good plan, but if you try to rationalize "I can't follow X diet plan because of other people" then you need a new method that doesn't rely on others "messing you up" to succeed.

fair enough, i guess it was a bit of a cop out, you see i moved back home after some things happened and because i was paying school debt i don't have much money left, so they have been helping me like with feeding me, thats what makes it slightly harder for me to say i won't eat that, and in those situations i will try and control my calorie intake better,

overall I am sorry about my poor mentality, and thank you for your input.

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%

also i don't really know what i'm doing day to day with strength training until i get to the gym, i have a friend who works there and he lets me know what i should be doing for the day, based on what i want to work towards of course

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%

Well, in that case, you roll with it. If you're living with your folks and dining off of what they feed you, then sometimes you just have to take what you can get. I totally understand that. On the one hand, you know what you want to do to eat healthy, but on the other hand you don't want to be a dick to people. Not-being-a-dick is probably more important, particularly since as you say, controlling your caloric intake should help to balance out the worst parts of what the food can do to you from a body-comp perspective.

It's also good practice long term. If you get into the USAF, you'll be eating what the Gub'ment tells you to eat. Learning this kind of fluid diet game may actually be the most helpful thing for your goals in the end.

It's all good, man.

Also, not to harp on PLP again, but you know, the whole thing is designed to be easy-volume that you can do day-to-day without it interfering in general training. Just saying.

• Like 1

Also, not to harp on PLP again, but you know, the whole thing is designed to be easy-volume that you can do day-to-day without it interfering in general training. Just saying.

Until the later days.  Then you want to space it from your general training.  Trust me.  Days 30-60 are exhausting.

yes i have, I took my AFOQT already, and now my recruiter wants to meet sometime this week to sign paperwork and get ready for the physical exam.

Ah, then you have actually taken steps towards this. Good. Good. Recruiters have quotas, and your recruiter's job will be to get you into Basic Training, so s/he will probably give you all the minimum requirements you will need to achieve. Don't try to hide anything from your recruiter either, that just makes the process longer (allow your recruiter to hide it). Tip: bring a pocketbook to MEPS.

I was Army, so I don't really know how the Air Force operates. (I remember the Air Force people were getting paid substandard living allowance for being in an Army barracks, so I imagine they're treated better.) But Basic Training I believe is around 6 weeks. Your calorie intake, stress levels, and exercise will be tightly controlled during this time. That is why it's not uncommon to see people lose massive amounts of weight during Basic (then balloon-up after). A lot of people also get either in great shape (for the military) or injured. So right now you only need to get the minimum requirements down and your foot in the door. Side note: this is not a rule. I gained weight during Basic, around 10 pounds, from being fed massive amounts of calories regularly for the first time in my life. My fitness levels went down though, but I was able to run a faster 2-mile.

also i don't really know what i'm doing day to day with strength training until i get to the gym, i have a friend who works there and he lets me know what i should be doing for the day, based on what i want to work towards of course

Is your friend a trainer, or just a guy who trains? What does he usually make you do?

I've worked with a few unfit and recovering individuals when I was in, and we usually had to get them to a certain weight and be able to perform at least 42 pushups and 56 situps (each in 2 minutes) and run 2 miles in 16 minutes. I don't imagine an Air Force PT test being greatly different, and a 1.5-miler uses the same energy system as a 2-miler. Usually the weight loss is the biggest factor in improvement in a fitness test. A 25-pound weight loss almost always gives a sharp increase in scores, since it's easier to move when you're not carrying all the extra weight and the military fitness tests are often about relative strength. "The best pullup program is 3 sets of stop being so fat."  So keep a sharp eye on your diet. Mostly I use a low-carb approach. There are arguments against this somewhere, but ultimately it works; I'm not trying to be right, I'm trying to be effective. One guy was eating nothing but chicken breasts, eggs, and spinach; another was eating Atkin's bars and other Atkin's first phase approved foods. The idea is to write down what you are eating so all the food that goes in is accounted for. A lot of people are "mindless eaters" and end up consuming a lot more than they think.

For the run part of the test (which is usually the biggest issue), I found that running technique offers the best bang for your buck. Practice running barefoot on grass with your toes pointed forward at least once a week, and always run with a metronome set to 180 bpm and synchronize your steps with the beats. Yes, it will make you take very fast baby steps, and increasing your stride frequency is the point. It will also discourage overstriding. Depending on the time that you have, I would go with building your cardiac output for several months with long, slow, low-intensity runs; or intervals every other day if it's in 8-12 weeks.

With the pushups, a lot of people break down mostly because of a weak core and unstable shoulders, not because of a lack of pushing strength. I build them up to a solid 1 to 2-minute plank to address this. We also did a set of pushups every hour on the hour of the workday to "grease the groove". I found that the first burst before coming up to the rest position is mostly where I am able to do the majority of my pushups, so I try to make them count. (For example on my first "burst" I am able to do 90, but after that I can only do around 10 at a time.)

For situps, there's a technique that we use during the test, but ultimately you would need to use and strengthen your hip flexors. Again, grease the groove.

Of course, consult your doctor before doing anything.

• Like 1

thank you machete for the information, it helps alot, and i'm doing well lou.

kishi, no I haven't all applications for ots are due by sep 4 so i won't know until about then.

sorry about being away for a while there, i didn't have internet for the last week or so

• Like 1

Level 2, Monk,  Half-Orc

first challenge

Second Challenge

Third Challenge

Fourth Challenge

Fifth Challenge

89%
89%