Princess Heather's Thrown Off Her Groove

So I fell off the face of the planet last challenge, and I think I'll let my Meg tell you why:

DSC_0657_edited-1_zpsoywmbqin.jpg

WARNING: Frank discussion of hormones and lady business ahead, skip to goals below if you only care about lifting etc.

For anyone who has read any of my challenge threads in the past year and a half or so, know that I have been trying to figure out what on earth is wrong with my hormones, cycles, and fertility, and was like 1 test away from an official diagnosis of PCOS, after YEARS of telling my doctors that I was certain I had it.

So finding out that I was pregnant literally while waiting for a referral for yet another PCOS diagnostic scan was such an amazing surprise. Though, to be fair, I had a pretty good idea that for the first time in at least a year, I actually ovulated (long unpredictable cycles generally don't allow for the right hormonal conditions for releasing eggs). In fact, my ovulation predictor kit (pee sticks into a machine most mornings each month) had never once gone above "low" readings, and went to "high" for a couple days and then actually gave me a "peak" reading! That's what should happen every month for "normal" people.

Two weeks later, I had cramps that I assumed were a period finally coming on (I think by then it was about day 40 of my cycle). But this persisted for about 4 days without a period, and that's not typical for me. Plus, I had the added bonus of being at about 10% of my normal energy levels, needing naps after work and being completely drained just from doing a load of dishes. So I bought an early pregnancy test, and was thrilled to see that it was positive! Mr. Princess was asleep after working a night shift, so I spent the day just enjoying the news privately, and getting an official blood test done to confirm. I told him when he woke up that evening. Since then we've told our family and friends and announced on facebook last week.

I had my first appointment last week and heard a few heartbeats, and now its very very real to me.

Between nausea and fatigue, my house is a disaster, I've been eating practically an all starch diet, Meg is bored, and time is just flying. But now that I'm nearing the end of the 1st trimester (already) a lot of this yucky feeling should pass and get better. So these are my goals, with the overarching theme of reclaiming my groove for the rest of this pregnancy (within reason) and to enjoy this new roller coaster I'm on.

tumblr_mvej4dTDFX1sm2yoxo2_r1_500.gif

Goal #1: Bring It On

Kronk_Athlete.gif

Exercise 3 days a week.

Work on just getting in some exercise each week. With the fatigue, I have a rough time even getting out enough with Meg for her exercise. But I can usually make it through the first 20 minutes of something and get over the hump and feel good, so if I can force myself to do that a few times a week I'll be happy. Still hiking and lifting, and occasional zumba or yoga.

Goal #2: I've never liked your spinach puffs.

tumblr_m70iwyehEr1rp3nu9o1_500.gif

Eat as well as I can stomach.

Before being pregnant, I assumed I'd be able to just force myself to eat healthy despite any morning sickness etc. Boy was I wrong. Fried eggs for breakfast? NOPE. Cooking meat and veggies for dinner? GAG. Even feeding Meg her kibble is enough to turn my stomach. So, I'm going to make the best choices I can for how I feel each day. I'm trying to at least limit straight up sugar, and when I feel like eating something good, jump on that opportunity for healthy eating. I've been eating a lot of mexican food, which all things considered is better than eating fast food.

Goal #3: Lady with a baby coming through.

tumblr_nr8hw7B2lQ1u2e015o1_250.gif

Just enjoy the process.

I want to be able to enjoy this time, despite the obvious setbacks to my healthy lifestyle and the puking and such. I am so happy that this is happening, and I want to record these changes and milestones. So I will be doing one journal entry a week, just to get a general idea of how things have progressed. I'm not a journal-er, so this is probably all I can commit to accomplishing, but it'll be cool to be able to look back on someday.

• Like 1

I am so beyond freaking excited for you and Mr. Princess!  Like, SO EXCITED!!!!! So excited, in fact, that there are NOT suitable gifs to express my excitement. 

but here are some thematic gifs because duh... 

anigif_enhanced-20907-1414362872-10.gif

tumblr_m4ujkhjWC01rxodpio1_400.gif

anigif_enhanced-20098-1414363096-2.gif

• Like 1

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I am so beyond freaking excited for you and Mr. Princess!  Like, SO EXCITED!!!!! So excited, in fact, that there are NOT suitable gifs to express my excitement. 

but here are some thematic gifs because duh... 

So much win HG! This movie is seriously underrated.

Yeah!  Been wondering where you've been.

Yep, been sleeping away my afternoons and trying not to vomit. It's a fun time for me :D

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am soooo excited for you! this is amazing news! HG said it perfectly in gifs, as always, so i'll leave it at that. i couldn't even get through reading your goals i was so excited to congratulate you!

So much win HG! This movie is seriously underrated.

Yep, been sleeping away my afternoons and trying not to vomit. It's a fun time for me :D

um yes. this movie is the bomb. you always pick the best and most appropriate movie themes.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh so excited for you!!

Before being pregnant, I assumed I'd be able to just force myself to eat healthy despite any morning sickness etc. Boy was I wrong. Fried eggs for breakfast? NOPE. Cooking meat and veggies for dinner? GAG.

Lolol. This is consistent with the experience of basically every pregnant woman I have known.

I want to be able to enjoy this time...

Just gonna throw this out there because it was a struggle for Mrs Roo, but it's ok if you don't. Mrs Roo wanted to love being pregnant soooo bad, but the reality for her was that she just felt hot and sore and fat all the time. There wasn't really anything magical about it, and she kept wondering what was wrong with her because she felt like it was supposed to be. Moral of the story, do your best to enjoy yourself, but don't sweat it if you don't. The payoff is worth it either way.

• Like 4

I just want to say that I think its really interesting that with sooooo many Disney movies out there, and so many where mom/dad/parents kick the bucket, Emperor's New Groove is the only movie with a pregnant character. Doesn't really add anything to the story either, so its an interesting choice.

Week 1 Recap:

Goal #1 Bring it OnExercise 3/3

I did a Yin yoga session, a hike, and then about 2 hours of obedience class with Meg. Also, it's really "hot" in Alaska right now, so all of these felt hard!

Goal #2 I've Never Liked Your Spinach Puffs Check!

Managed to cook and eat a meal with brussels sprouts and ground beef. I'm counting that as a win, and maybe a sign that I might be getting a little better.

Goal #3 Lady With a Baby Coming Through Check!

While I'm still not feeling my best, I did have a great week of just being excited. A friend of mine shipped a big box of maternity clothes to me from California, and that helped a lot with being more comfortable at work and stuff.

In other news, Meg had "digestive issues" in a room with brand new carpet, so that was fun to clean up. And we're working on painting the rest of the rooms we hadn't gotten to yet in our house (we moved in 2 years ago almost).

And today in Alaska it is almost 80, which in a stuffy office with no AC makes for a hot day of work.

Today I ate tuna sushi and had a fruit smoothie, so a much better day nutritionally than I've had in a while!

awesome week 1!!

almost 80 with no a/c?? that should be like a snow day. isn't anyone worried about heat stroke especially with people who probably aren't used to consistent heat?

and sorry about having to clean up that mess. what'd she eat?

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

You know, I never picked up on that - the only movie with a pregnant character.  I mean, I knew most Disney movies were single parent but yeah. Interesting. Also, this is one of my all time favorites. 

Glad you're able to eat some things you feel pretty good about.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that the ick feeling goes away soon!

Hey man, 80 without A/C is hot!  If our A/C breaks and it's 80 or higher it counts as an emergency maintenance fix.  So yeah. Ew. And also, hot in the north (especially your north) is damn hot given the relative coldness. I remember growing up if it was 95 or above we were told to stay indoors or in the shade if we had to go outside.  Here, 95 is an average day.  

all that to say, "Ew, 80 w/o A/C is not cool." 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

all that to say, "Ew, 80 w/o A/C is not cool." 

what you did there

tumblr_mf0r26dAfb1qgupwc.gif

i see it

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

It's been super weird weather wise. We had a big cool down to go with a LOT of rain over the weekend, but the temps are creeping up a bit again. It was mid 70's yesterday. And yeah, I know a few people have those lovely window AC units for days over 75, and when there's a real heat wave all the fans at Walmart etc sell out. Most of the big box stores, mall, movies, etc all have AC, so I suppose some folks might just go hang out inside Target or something when their home is unbearable during the day.

But being Alaska, I know that we will be cooling down very soon for the fall. By September, it should be pretty solidly hoodie weather again, and by end of October we might even have snow. So I'm trying to remember that I like sunshine, and actually get outdoors some since my midwife tested my vitamin D levels and they were a tad low.

I'm still not feeling super great, in fact this morning I'm having some yucky feeling cramps. I'm assured this is normal, but its very much not fun.

Also, Meg's issue was we just started doing another training class, which meant too many treats. I think I need to transition to a toy based rewards system to prevent this in the future. Some of the other dogs get to tug on a toy for a few seconds when they do good, rather than a food reward.

Week 2 Recap:

Goal #1 Bring it OnExercise 2/3

Did a short hike with Meg and Mr Princess. And did some walking to the grocery store, and an extra walk to pick up Meg from doggy daycare. But no lifting and no yoga. I missed my normal CF and yoga times due to a leadership conference I had to attend for work. But I gotta tell you, sitting for 8 hours a day in an auditorium felt a bit like a workout, and I actually spent a good deal of time standing in the back when my butt and hips just couldn't take sitting anymore.

Have a few fruit smoothies. Still not where I'd like to be, but I'm being diligent with my prenatals etc so yay.

Finished a great pregnancy book, written by a economist/statistician pouring through the research and numbers on a lot of different aspects of pregnancy. Helped me feel better about choices I'm making and planning to make. It was very much a NF rebellion type of book, seeing if the facts/science/results actually reflect the "common knowledge" about what is and isn't okay to eat/drink/do during pregnancy and delivery.

Musings About Pregnancy and Body Image

I spent the better part of the last 2 years arguing with my doctor and then finally getting tested for PCOS, and was on the verge of that as a final diagnosis when I found out I was pregnant. I had been told that I was ever so slightly insulin resistant, and that at a BMI of 25.5, I was overweight and would need metformin to fix my insulin problem. (Point of reference, BMI of 25 and under would be considered normal weight.) All this after drastically improving my diet over the past 4 years and eating far more veggies and far less processed junk, and finally getting out of the disordered eating mind frame that allowed me to once have a BMI of 19.3, just a smidge above the line for being underweight. I was finally in a place where more often than not, I focused on what my body could DO, and less about what it looked like. It made no difference to my doctor that I could do heavy deadlifts or squats with my muscular legs, or that family and friends were no longer asking me if I was sick because I was so skinny. So it was so remarkably frustrating that being healthier by my estimation wasn't seeming to fix my hormone irregularities.

And then, by some miracle, I actually became pregnant. I actually ovulated for the first time in a year (as far as my charting and monitor could tell), and sexy times happened on the right days, and we're now expecting a little person to join our family. And I'm gaining weight, and that's something expected and NORMAL. Stepping on the scale is not something to dread right now, and so far I'm gaining within the average range of what's recommended. Every lb I gain right now is a reminder that I'm really pregnant, that I have hormones running even more wild than usual, and this process is proceeding along. While I'm not eating real well due to nausea and fatigue, I'm doing the best I can and I'm OK with that 9or at least I'm trying hard to be). I'm having more grace and patience with myself than I've ever had. Even when I was eating a practically 100% paleo diet, I was still susceptible to a poor state of mind regarding food, that I had to be perfect with the good stuff just like I'd had to be perfect with the restricted, 1200 calorie low fat diet I'd been trying to make work before. Perfection was stressful. Perfection was frustrating. Perfection never existed.

Some days, it is feeling a little rough to know that I can only wear maternity pants now, and that a lot of my favorite shirts are now going to be too short to cover my belly. It could be so easy to start criticizing myself for being this "big" already, or to start really restricting intake to keep weight gain to a minimum so it's easier to lose the "baby weight." But I'm committing to trying really hard to just be. To be okay where I'm at, doing what I can to be active, and when I see or touch my expanding belly, to just smile and be happy. Cause I am, despite the puking and the loss of appetite for my favorite foods and the sometimes coma inducing fatigue, very happy to be pregnant.

• Like 2

Week 3 Recap:

Goal #1 Bring it OnExercise 3/3

I did a yoga session, a hike/blueberry picking, and painted my master bedroom. I think painting may have been the hardest one!

Another successful week, more protein from grilled chicken and hard boiled eggs, and fruit smoothies, and some actual broccoli was eaten.

Spent as much time sleeping as I felt like, and (mostly) didn't feel guilty about it. Having a new fancy mattress helped!