Discovery of the New World... chord509's Battle Log

So I may not be clear on how this all works just yet, but I've always had success by stumbling forward.

My first challenge is in my sig below. I am currently on Day 3.

I have been successful in packing my lunch for work. Our cafeteria is staffed with legit chefs, and the food is restaurant quality (read: DELICIOUS!!!). So, part of my challenge is to bring my lunch to work for the 6 weeks in order to fill myself on nutritious foods that aren't chock full of sugar and processed carbs.

Strength training is going well. I'm doing the Beginner Bodyweight Workout. I'm currently 6'1",  253 lbs. So, bodyweight workout is pretty significant. I made it through the first workout fairly easily. I did work up a good sweat and my heart rate was definitely elevated. I think I am going to ramp things up by adding another rep per exercise, per workout, in order to make things a bit more challenging.

Running is my Achilles' heel, pun intended. Currently, I'm at my heaviest and, historically, when I've tried running, I am quick to develop shin splints and quit soon thereafter. After strength training on Day 1, I incorporated a stretching cooldown and discovered that my leg muscles are very tight, and not in a good way. Sitting on the floor with my feet tucked flat under me is a painful challenge. So I think that is a big contributing factor. I've been driving a desk for 13 years now, and my muscles have shortened as a result.

Yesterday was Day 2, and I ran for the first time. It was a struggle! I'm using the C25K app from Zen Labs, and the notifications weren't working properly. All told, I still made it through a 30 minute workout with an average heart rate of ~152. I stretched when I got home and, boy, did that smart! I focused on stretching my calves and shins. It probably would have hurt less had I just doused myself in gasoline and set my legs on fire.

After 30 minutes of stretching, though, my muscles definitely loosened up, and I'm not nearly as sore today as I normally would have been. So I think I'm onto something.

If anyone here has any suggestions on heavy runners avoiding injury or how much discomfort is within the normal range, I have a virtual high five waiting for you!

Oh and... cat .GIF!

50.gif

So I'm still going strong on Day 3. I've kept up with strength training, cardio, and taking my to work. Go me!!

Yesterday, I injured myself during warmup. I tried doing too much, too soon. I was vaulting over a handrail and didn't get my foot over. I tripped and landed badly on my right foot. I don't think I broke anything, but I may lose a toenail for my efforts.

It's fairly uncomfortable and we'll see how it goes. Today is cardio day, and I will be running tonight with the C25K app. It's going to hurt like a beast!

Also, another cat .gif.

crazy-cat-o.gif