Sam Ashen Pistol Squat

Here is a set of 7 Pistol Squats alternating left and right and finishing with a failure on the right side.

Be as brutal as you like.  It is very new and I have not read up on it very much, so a lot of it is imitating what I think should be done.  Also feel free to comment on which side is stronger because I am really interested in that information.  My own comments will be in spoiler tags.

The positive:  It is getting done.  That said......

Going down, I am trying to get balanced in a bottom position.  Getting up, I try to center my bodyweight over my foot and try to make it look gracious.

Stability:  Need more confidence going down.  The first rep looks best.  As it goes on, I should have been playing YMCA in the background the way my arms were moving to keep the balance.  That way it would make a cooler you-tube video.  8)

Going up and staying balanced is kind of a challenge.

It comes down to coordination, stability and confidence.  A lot of this will come with more practice and possibly some research.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Woot! Awesome job. I'm still working on mine, so take my advice with that grain of salt, but I think if you lean forward more it will help with the balance some. Looks really strong though, now you are just working on the make it pretty part.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

The knee is wobbling quite a bit, try to keep it in line with your toe. It seems like no big deal at first until your knees start hurting.

You do a lot of barbell squats judging by your challenge thread, so my guess is the smaller muscles involved in balance are weak relative to the rest of your legs.

That is something that improves with practice, but doing the full movement with that much wobbling also exposes you to possible knee injury. If it's not getting better very quickly, or if your knees start to hurt, I would recommend regressing a little to box pistols or negatives.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

One year ago, I never even heard of the term, "pistol squat."  I first encountered it about nine or ten months ago and I have not given it any serious attempts until a month or two ago.  My total rep count is less than 50.

I can try the box pistol squats and see how that works out.  Do you recommend negatives over assisted pistol squats?

This guy looks like he is getting a lot more stability.

Added:  I am leaning towards the negatives because that exposes the weak points of the motion.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Negatives are a little more difficult than box-assisted pistols, which makes them more helpful if you're ready for them. When I worked up to pistols, I used a box to make sure I was only going into ROM that I was reasonably stable in. But the balance muscles adapt quickly to a pistol's stresses, so I didn't need to spend a long time at any one box, I lowered every workout or two until I was doing full ROM.

I'm not as much a fan of door- or wall-assisted pistols. It's too easy to provide more assistance than you intend, and the gap between a lightly steadying hand and no hand whatsoever is a huge one, so it's very hard to progress intelligently.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st