hexadamsel's log

hexadamsel

Hi, I'm Kristal and this is my first challenge. I joined the rebellion because I want to be ready when the Zombie Apocalypse (or any kind of apocalypse) happens. But really, I joined because I want to look and feel better than I do right now and hopefully meet like-minded people (aka nerds). Like many people these day, I sit at a desk for the majority of the day and in the past few years the pounds have slowly crept on and now it seems like no matter what I do I can't make them go away. To top it off, since I have started working from home I have developed social anxiety, which includes online interactions, so posting this is already a big step for me. I am hoping if I start feeling better about my body and like what I see in the mirror that the anxiety will lessen and I can eventually start participating in some of the activities that I use to enjoy.

I am 5'10" and currently 183 pounds. I would love to get back down to around 160lbs, but more importantly I want to be strong, flexible and unafraid. When I was younger, I wanted to be a gymnast, but I wasn't interested in competing, plus it was difficult being 8 years old and taller than the instructor. Now with circus arts becoming popular, I would love to get fit and look into acrobatic classes.

Main Quest: By the end of the year, gain strength, flexibility, and improved self-confidence. Ultimately, I want to lose 20 pounds and / or fit in my size 10 jeans (currently wear size 14). I promised myself another tattoo when I accomplish this.

Goals for this challenge:
Quest 1: Cardio on elliptical for at least 10 minutes a day at least 5 times per week.
Meaurements: A) 10 mins for 30 days; B) 10 mins for 29-25 days; C) 10 mins for 24-20 days
Reward: A) 3 STA & 2 STR; B) 2 STA & 1 STR; C) 1 STA

Quest 2: Do Beginning Body Weight Routine every other day. I can currently do 2 circuits without collapsing. I would love to be able to get that up to 3.
Measurement: A) 21 days; B) 20-16 days; C) 15-11 days
Reward: A) 3 STR & 2 STA; B) 2 STR & 1 STA C) 1 STR

Quest 3: No alcohol or soda during the challenge.
Measurement: A = 0 sodas or alcoholic drinks, B = 1-5 sodas or alcoholic drinks, C = 6-10 sodas or alcoholic drinks
Reward: A) 2 CON; B) 1 CON; C) 0.5 CON

Life Quest: Practice juggling 30 minutes 3 times a week.
Measurement: A) 30 mins for 18 days; B) 30 mins for 17-14 days; C) 30 mins for 13-10 days
Reward: A) 3 DEX; B) 2 DEX; C) 1 DEX

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Challenges: Current 1 2 3 | Trackers: Current 1 2 3

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Hey, Nice goals.

I recommend tea for people who are dropping soda, as you can get some really lovely flavours these days!

Good luck with all your goals!

• Like 1

Level 1 Grey Elf Adventurer    STR 1|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4.5|CHA 2.5

Current Challenge    Previous Challenges one

Eating 2 meals a day

67%
67%

walking 10,000 steps a day

45%
45%

working out daily

14%
14%

to do ticks

50%
50%

First of all my compliments on setting up your challenge. It looks great, except for one thing i'm missing. Did you ever hear about the saying:

You can't outrun your fork?

I think your challenge would benefit greatly from something diet related. I see you are already doing something on the drinks end. Kicking alcohol and soda are great monsters to slay! But seeing that your main quest also involves dropping weight maybe something diet related would really benefit you. Unless ofcourse you are already going very strong in that department.

Though no pressure here, if you like your challenge the way it is, by all means go for it! Dedication is one of the most important things! You also peeked my interest with the Beginners BodyWeight Workout and your talk about acrobatics. There are a couple of members among the assassin who do acrobatic related stuff.

In case you haven’t noticed, i’m an Assassin Ambassador. The Assassin Guild is a guild made up of people who like to be masters of their own bodies. We like training anywhere, anytime with anything. For ourselves, in competition, in cooperation or just for plain fun! The whole world can be our playground!

We Ambassadors assist, support and encourage new recruits. So if you have any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask me or any of the other Ambassadors or Guild Leaders.

There is a thread specific for recruits who are thinking about becoming Assassins, you can find it here: Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat. It’s a place where you can meet other recruits we are also thinking about becoming Assassins after your first challenge as a recruit.

If during your first 6-week-challenge you want to know what is going on within the Assassin Guild this thread is a good one to follow. Assassin Guild Info & Announcements You can find some basic info and all announcements regarding the Assassin Guild.

If you are into just hanging out with some assassins there is the  Assassins' Den. There will be talk about all sorts of things over there. Feel free to roam around! If you want to know what it’s like to be an Assassin you can check out the thread with the Assassins which have been interviewed, its called Assassins Uncloaked. There is even a thread on Food: Assassins' Scullery.

As you can see there is plenty to explore in the world of the Assassin Guild. Good luck on your challenge and be sure to PM me if there is anything i can do for you.

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

Hey, Nice goals.

I recommend tea for people who are dropping soda, as you can get some really lovely flavours these days!

Good luck with all your goals!

Hi Kasey, thanks for stopping by. I often drink tea mid-day if I need a boost. I'm a fan of green & jasmine teas. My sister in law use to work at a Chinese tea house and it is always fun to go to her house and sample the various Chinese teas (I had no idea that there were black Chinese teas!) I do also occasionally like to drink chamomile tea when I am feeling particularly anxious.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Though no pressure here, if you like your challenge the way it is, by all means go for it! Dedication is one of the most important things! You also peeked my interest with the Beginners BodyWeight Workout and your talk about acrobatics. There are a couple of members among the assassin who do acrobatic related stuff.

Hi mr_willes. Thanks for all the great info about the Assassins. I haven't quite figured out where I’m going to fit in, but the Assassins are at the top of my list for all the reasons you mentioned. I prefer to work out at home and have a few weights, but tend to do more body weight work outs with some yoga stretching thrown in. I would also love to get into hand-balancing. I have been pondering the "which assassin would you be and why?" question on the Level 1 Assassin Initates board all day!

First of all my compliments on setting up your challenge. It looks great, except for one thing i'm missing. Did you ever hear about the saying: You can't outrun your fork?

I think your challenge would benefit greatly from something diet related. I see you are already doing something on the drinks end. Kicking alcohol and soda are great monsters to slay! But seeing that your main quest also involves dropping weight maybe something diet related would really benefit you. Unless ofcourse you are already going very strong in that department.

As for incorporating diet into this challenge, it was hard to narrow it down to just 4 quests. I think I eat decently, I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and we cook a lot at home. I do occasionally give into cravings, but even though it's not part of the challenge I am going to try to keep them to a minimum since it will help for my main quest in the long run. I have also been keeping track of my food at MyFitnessPal to make sure I’m at a deficit. For this challenge, my main concern is getting my butt out of my computer chair and moving. I think I will probably incorporate more food related goals in the upcoming challenges.

Thanks for stopping by!

Level 4 Assassin

\. My sister in law use to work at a Chinese tea house and it is always fun to go to her house and sample the various Chinese teas (I had no idea that there were black Chinese teas!) 

That would be such a great job. Australia have a tea company called T2 and they have giant walls of different varieties... I'm a little obsessed.

How is the bodyweight routine going for you? I tried it last night and couldn't complete one circuit, so I definitely have room for improvement.

Level 1 Grey Elf Adventurer    STR 1|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 4.5|CHA 2.5

Current Challenge    Previous Challenges one

Eating 2 meals a day

67%
67%

walking 10,000 steps a day

45%
45%

working out daily

14%
14%

to do ticks

50%
50%

That would be such a great job. Australia have a tea company called T2 and they have giant walls of different varieties... I'm a little obsessed.

She doesn't work at the tea house anymore, but she still has a wall of tea in her house and several cabinets, plus about a dozen different Chinese tea pots used for different types of tea. It's crazy.

How is the bodyweight routine going for you? I tried it last night and couldn't complete one circuit, so I definitely have room for improvement.

I can get through 2 circuits before I fall over. I was doing my own version of a bw routine before I found NF. It was much more lax, but I think it helped me condition for the NF bodyweight circuit. I was doing 30+ minutes on the elliptical before I found NF and never sweat as much as I do doing the BW routine now. It seems to get a little easier each time. Keep up with it and I'm sure you will be able to get through it. Baby steps.

I've always wanted to go to Australia, though I don't know much about it. I had a fried that live in Sydney for a while and he loved it. My husband use to be a bartender and a few of his patrons were from Australia. They are the friendlies people.

Have you ever been to the states? I live on an "island" that is kind of between San Francisco and Oakland called Alameda. If you are a Star Trek fan, then you will know it as the place where the "nuclear wessel" are in Star Trek 4.

Level 4 Assassin

Mini Quest #1

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?
    I believe that my quest to: “By the end of the year, gain strength, flexibility, and improved self-confidence. Ultimately, I want to lose 20 pounds and / or fit in my size 10 jeans (currently wear size 14). I promised myself another tattoo when I accomplish this.†is achievable and reasonable. I am already feeling more self-confident since I started working out regularly and participating on the forums. Losing 20 pounds by the end of the year is roughly a pound a week, which is totally doable.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?
    Yes my quests build towards my main quest of losing weight and feeling better about myself. I do not think I am taking on too much. We are almost done with this week and I have done pretty well so far.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?
    I think 20 lbs is a small goal, I could go 10 or 5, but I think 20 is a good number. This is only the 1st step. After I reach that goal, there will be others, not necessarily weight related.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them?
    Yes I can track my goals. I have created a Challenge Tracker Spread Sheet I will probably also put some of those progress bars in my signature.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?
    I am grading myself on the number of times during the challenge I complete each goal. If I lose 20 lbs I plan on getting a tattoo.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?
    If I happen to get sick or become injured, I will try to continue the best I can, but will continue grading myself as usual.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?
    My 7th anniversary is this weekend, but I still want to stick to no alcohol. There are other things I can drink that taste just as good without the alcohol. Also, we may visit my in-laws and when we go up there we tend to drink and eat a lot. Also my schedule gets disrupted, so I will need to stick to my routine and take it easy on the tasty treats.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?
    I don't think so, they all seem to work well together.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?
    I do have the time. I am fortunate enough to work from home, so I am able to work out in the morning and immediately walk into my office.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest?
    There are few habits I am trying to build, mostly getting off my butt and being active. Working out at least a little every day as well as practicing juggling a little every week. Not going to get better with the clubs and balls laying on the floor.

Level 4 Assassin

Week #1 Update

Achievement Unlocked: 3 Circuits of Body Weight Routine

The last circuit went slower than the first two, but I stuck with it.

Stayed on track all week, just have to keep up the momentum (Follow my progress on my Challenge Tracker). I joined NF Academy on Saturday with my husband and have been reading though all the content. Great info.

Summary: More energy, exhausted at night, wake up before my alarm goes off, more focused at work, juggling getting better, Mill Mess is getting cleaner, down 1 pound

Level 4 Assassin

Another Assassin Ambassador stopping by :). Sounds like you had a strong week one and are ready to build on the momentum!

Sounds like you might be a Star Trek fan too? We are having a Star Trek themed mini challenge over at the Assassin Guild. Motivation can be hard to come by and the Minis help me. Others like to use an Accountabilibuddy. If your husband joined NF too then you probably have an Accountabilibuddy at home already ;)

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

One thing that helped me cut my craving for soda was to cut grains from my diet.  I had a major soda habit - 6 to 8 cokes a day (not diet coke, fully leaded!!).  About two years ago I worked very hard to clean up my diet but still just craved the soda.  Then I decided to try and cut out grains from my diet for an unrelated experiment and weirdly my soda cravings vanished.  I went from daily soda to no soda without a problem.  I do still like a soda at the movies but otherwise, I'm good with water. That was about a year ago that I did that and I'm still good today.  Although I do find that if I eat too much fruit, my sugar craving kicks back in and I start eying the sodas.  I still eat fruit daily - just with one meal instead of every meal.  It helps.  so good luck with your goals!  I'll be watching :)

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Hi Lightning & mom2sjm,

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I'm a Star Trek fan. I saw the Starship Nerdiprise mini challenge. It looks like a lot of fun. I'm impressed with the amount of thought and creativity that went into creating the challenge. I also glanced at the Nerdwarts School of Assassincraft & Ninjary from last challenge, I have no words...it's wonderful. Perhaps I will be able to participate in the next one.

My husband and I have had a good time so far with NFA. It is good to have a buddy in the house that can encourage and celebrate with you.

Over the years I have cut back my soda habit a lot. I was only having maybe 1-3 a week. It was a crutch. If I was having a bad day, I would have a soda with lunch and sometimes it tasted so good, I would have a second. Now, I have 1-2 pieces of fruit a day and I don't seem to be craving the soda.

So far so good.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Week #2 Update

This week went well. It wasn't as strong as last week, thanks to womanly things, but met all my goals and ended strong. I was able to do 3 BBW circuits yesterday and the DOMS set in today. I'm sore, but I LOVE it! Up 2 lbs this week? As long as I feel good and see results elsewhere, I'm not too concerned with scale.

I have been juggling since I met my husband 14 years ago. I have always meant to learn more tricks, but never made it a priority. I have advanced more in the past 2 weeks then I have in 14 years. Not only is my Mill Mess getting smoother, I can now juggle two balls in one hand (left & right), started learning columns, the box, claws, and the shower. I think the strength training helps. Two balls in one hand can be taxing on the biceps. I haven't practiced clubs yet, but I plan to. We want to start passing.

Summary: A little more tired this week, hungry, craved soda a couple times, but ended up guzzling water instead.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

So you know that scene from Alien when the little alien bursts out of John Hurt's stomach? Images of that flashed through my head last night as I was up for 2 hours with the worst stomach pains I can remember.

4fa24fcd2f23293665f0c514c10f941b.jpg

You get the idea, so I won't go into the gruesome details. Needless to say, I woke up this morning after 4 hours of sleep 3lbs lighter, dehydrated, and no energy to do the BBW. I'm hoping that I will have the energy this evening to go through it, otherwise I will just have to get back on track tomorrow.

I just wish I knew what caused this. The only things my husband didn't have that I did was a scramble with some sausage leftover from dinner and a mango. Now I'm hesitant to eat anything though I know I need to.

Level 4 Assassin

Week #3 Update

Finally feeling better today. Nasty little stomach bug did its job on me. I skipped working out on Wednesday, picked it back up on Thursday, but with a lot less energy than the other workouts. Didn't exactly eat well while I was sick. I didn't eat much, but I ate what sounded good. I am down a couple of pounds and 1/2" in waist, hips, & chest. We'll see if this is the result of the workouts or the nasty little bug.

Level 4 Assassin

Week 4: Checking your starting credits

1. Goal allocation:
   Q1: Elliptical 10mins 5x/week = 3 STA & 1 STR
   Q2: BBW every other day = 2 STR & 1 STA
   Q3: No alcohol or soda = 1 CON
   LQ: Juggling 30min 3x/week = 2 DEX

2. Mid Challenge Summary:
   Q1: Elliptical 10mins 5x/week = A (100%)
   Q2: BBW every other day = B (90%)
   Q3: No alcohol or soda = A (100%)
   LQ: Juggling 30min 3x/week = A (100%)

3. Challenge allocation:
   Q1: A (100%) = 3 STA & 1 STR
   Q2: B (90%) = 1.8 STR & .9 STA
   Q3: A (100%) = 1 CON
   LQ: A (100%) = 2 DEX

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Week #4 Update

Still staying on target. Went to my first BBQ this weekend since I stopped soda and alcohol. Got some questions, but not as many as I thought. I'm going to switch it up a bit this week and start to do the Academy's Bodyweight Brigade - Level 1 workout. I've also started doing NF Yoga on my rest days. I'm almost to the point where I can pass clubs.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Week 5 Mini Challenge

• 5 minute yoga (+1 DEX),
  • 10 burpees (+1 STA),
  • 10 lunges per leg (+1 STR),
  • 20 BBW Squats (+1 STR),
  • 1 mile walk/run (+1 STA), OR
  • 30s plank (+1 DEX)

My DH and I went for an impromptu 1 mile walk (+1 STA for me). I also did yoga this morning, but I have been doing that every other day for the past couple weeks.

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin

Assassin ambassador checking in on you :)  You are just marching through this challenge like you've been doing it for months!  

What do you think of NF yoga?  I keep meaning to look into it because I really enjoy yoga.  

Also, I'm a HUGE Star Trek fan too.  The Assassin mini challenges are always fun, but this one made me extra happy.

giphy.gif

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Week #5 Update
Started doing the Academy's Bodyweight Brigade Level 1 workout. A little more challenging than the recruit / beginner. I also like that there are two different workouts. I have a bad habit of getting bored with my workouts. I still can't do a regular push up. I have no problem doing 3 sets of 10 knee push ups. I've graduated to prisoner squats. I currently use a 25lb dumbbell, but I think I may need to look into either a heavier or adjustable dumbbell for my one armed rows or getting some kind of portable inverted row bar. I work out in my living room and the table is in the kitchen, so going to the kitchen for inverted rows would throw off my rhythm I think.

To answer your question, Lightning, I really like the NF Yoga. They are fun and easy to follow. Before NF Yoga, I was doing various yoga poses on my own, but didn't really know what I was doing and was too intimidated to go to a studio. I tried looking for videos online, some of them were ok, but most of them were hard to follow. NF Yoga spells it all out by having the different series. I have done both Water series videos a couple times alternating with BW training. It wakes me up in the morning and gets me ready for my day. Today I did Fire A Series for the first time. More challenging than the Water series. I will need to practice Half Moon though, I kept falling over.

I have started to notice changes. I think my arms look thinner, but the tape measure doesn't say so. My pants and wedding ring are also looser. This is what keeps me going. That and I like checklists and having my Google Spread Sheet to check things off encourages me. I just need to keep going after the challenge is done.

Level 4 Assassin

Thanks for the info on the yoga! I'm reaching my boredom limit with my current body weight program so I'm going to switch things up next challenge. Yoga will likely play a part.

Congrats on those loose pants :). I'm experiencing body recomposition rather than weight loss. Inches are hard to measure because you never know if your measuring the same spots. Loose clothes is usually what I notice first.

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

Week #6 Update

Started out strong. Was able to do 15 Knee push ups during my work out, still can't do a strict push up. I've never really had much upper body strength. Perhaps that will be part of the next challenge. I want to be able to do push ups and pull ups. The last part of the week was not as strong, but that was expected. I have started to notice a connection between diet and energy level. It makes a difference. Will need to work on that too. Overall, I think this challenge got me on the right track. I have a workout schedule and I know I will stick to it. I'm also loving the addition of the Yoga.

@fractal: hexadamsel is a play off of hexadecimal (c: You are the first in a while to comment on it IRL and online. My husband came up with it because I do a lot of web work, where the colors are hex code.

Level 4 Assassin

Final Challenge Summary

1. Goal allocation:
   Q1: Elliptical 10mins 5x/week = 1 STR
   Q2: BBW every other day = 1 STR & 1 STA
   Q3: No alcohol or soda = 1 CON
   LQ: Juggling 30min 3x/week = 1 DEX

2. End Challenge Summary:
   Q1: Elliptical 10mins 5x/week = A (100%)
   Q2: BBW every other day = B (100%)
   Q3: No alcohol or soda = A (100%)
   LQ: Juggling 30min 3x/week = A (100%)

3. Challenge allocation:
   Q1: A (100%) = 1 STR
   Q2: B (90%) = 1 STR & 1 STA
   Q3: A (100%) = 1 CON
   LQ: A (100%) = 1 DEX

Mini Challenge #1 - Let's Get Smart: +1 Wis
Mini Challenge #2 - Making Friends: 0
Mini Challenge #3 - The Library: 0
Mini Challenge #4 - Checking Your Starting Credits: N/A
Mini Challenge #5 - Sports Day: +1 STA

I will be heading over to the Assassins guild for my next challenge!

• Like 1

Level 4 Assassin