Why am I not changing faster?

Here's what I do:

The Whole 30: meat, no grains, no processed foods, no sugar, no dairy.

Resistance Training:  Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Yoga: Tues, Thurs, Sat

Following couch to marathon plan: Cardio Walking (jog heart-rate) 6 out of 7 days.

After a severe fall during an adventure weekend a year and a half ago, I am recovering from a year of surgeries (5); two knee replacements, one shoulder rebuild.  I was cleared for exercise two months ago, and have been working out hard since then.  I am thirty pounds overweight and my muscle tone went from toned to squishy over the last year, so I am rebuilding every thing.   However, the scale isn't budging and neither is my clothing size.  People say that I look awesome that my general energy has changed for the better. I'm getting a lot of positive comments but.. want to see more changes faster.

Any thoughts?

Goodness!  Are you basically robocop now?  Good on you for getting back on the horse.  It sounds like you're recovering well.

I think you have the hardest part down, which is routine discipline.  It's impossible for things to not be changing after two months of a routine like that.  Do you find you're able to lift a bit more?  Do more yoga without tiring?  Run a little farther?  If so, then things are working - even if you don't see the results just yet.

If your weight isn't changing the way you'd like, that could be for a couple reasons.  First, fat only comes off if you eat fewer calories than you burn.  Take whatever stance you'd like on what specific foods you consider healthy, but the fact remains fat only comes off in caloric deficit.  Even cutting out grains, sugars, dairy, etc, you could still be eating too many calories for fat to drop.  Maybe dial back your intake for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Second, you're gaining a ton of adaptations.  You're creating more glycogen and blood.  If you're eating too many calories for fat loss, then those excess calories are going to start going towards muscle growth.  All of that increases your overall weight.

• Like 2

Also, you could be borderline maintenance and seeing some recomposition.  You may be rebuilding muscle (muscle memory) that you lost during your downtime and burning some fat.  That could cause your weight to remain stable while dropping your body fat.  Given enough time you would see the change in your clothes size though, maybe start tracking your waist circumference?  If you are serious about it then it wouldn't hurt to track your calories and ensure you're in a deficit.

• Like 2

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Hang in there. This happens to me and happened to me when i started too. My only conclusion is that resistance training does some funny old things to your body that confound measurements.

More blood JPrev? Really? Permanently or just temporarily?

Track as much as you can, weight, bodyfat, measurements, gym PRs etc. Improvement in any of them is a win. Often you'll find while one is seeing no progress one or more of the others are.

More bloody JPrev? Really? Permanently or just temporarily?

From the running.  It'd be a small change (~10% more, so maybe an extra pound or so), but figured I'd mention it as one of the many things that, in aggregate, are having effects she may not realize.  The change in blood volume remains so long as you do some kind of aerobic exercise regularly.  It disappears quickly if you take time off training, but it comes back quickly, too.

• Like 3

From the running.  It'd be a small change (~10% more, so maybe an extra pound or so), but figured I'd mention it as one of the many things that, in aggregate, are having effects she may not realize.  The change in blood volume remains so long as you do some kind of aerobic exercise regularly.  It disappears quickly if you take time off training, but it comes back quickly, too.

Thanks. Interesting.

So you don't get similar from lifting? What about things like circuit training or barbell complexes? Not really "cardio" but more cardio than regular lifting.

• Like 1

So you don't get similar from lifting? What about things like circuit training or barbell complexes? Not really "cardio" but more cardio than regular lifting.

No, not that I know of.  I'd think the reason is along the same lines as why lifting  generally doesn't improve your wind.  Your heart gets pumping, but the stresses/metabolic demands aren't the same.  If blood volume increases from circuit training and the like, I'd imagine it's only as much as circuit training improves your cardio.

Now, I wonder if blood restriction training would have an effect, perhaps by tricking the body into thinking it's using a greater percentage of usable oxygen.  Dunno if that's how it'd work, though.

• Like 2

Wow thanks all so much.

BTW- I didn't mention that I'm 59.  I wonder if age is a factor.  I'm sure calories are though.  I'm thinking that the party line about Paleo, that weight just falls off effortlessly might be an exaggeration.

I am basically a cyborg, I got a prosthetic eye in the mix too.  

• Like 1

As we get older, we burn fewer calories.  Most of that is attributed to the age-related, slow decline of muscle mass (in part due to decreased activity).  All of your surgeries have probably kept you out of any serious action, further weakening your muscles.  And women generally don't have as much muscle as men do in the first place.  So, your ability to eat paleo again and again and again without fat gain isn't the same as, say, a teenage male's!

BUT! The good news is none of that matters.  Resistance training will be able to throw the brakes on all of this.  Exercise in general can slow - even reverse for quite some time - all sorts of age-related declines.  It'll take longer for you to get there than it would for a teenage male, but you can get your muscle back, increase your calorie expenditure, and lose the fat.  The body is pretty crazy.

I can only imagine what walking through airport security must be like for you.

• Like 2

I travel quite a bit and have to add 20 minutes to every security line. I light up,the places and get special pat downs..always.

Thank you all.

I'm going to add calorie restriction to my current challenge goals

I'm also adding patience. I need to remember that just this spring I could only walk my dog but I did two 5ks in July. I was in a sling for 2 months during Feb and March after having 7 procedures ( I have 14 scars on my shoulder)and after that my right arm could barely hold a glass of water, and now I'm doing a full routine of resistance training using barbells twice a week.

So maybe I am maying more progress than it seems to me.

• Like 4

I'm also adding patience. I need to remember that just this spring I could only walk my dog but I did two 5ks in July. I was in a sling for 2 months during Feb and March after having 7 procedures ( I have 14 scars on my shoulder)and after that my right arm could barely hold a glass of water, and now I'm doing a full routine of resistance training using barbells twice a week.

So maybe I am maying more progress than it seems to me.

HOLY HELL THAT'S AMAZING! Yes, you bought a winning lottery ticket and you're complaining it's "only" $50,000. Enjoy the freedom your training has brought you and give your body time. It may be healing and strengthening bits you have no way to measure.

• Like 2

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

I agree, though easier said than done remember how far you've come. Before long even this time now will be just a memory of the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

Even if you were all in one piece to start with, two months isn't that long.  Relax and trust the process.  And enjoy the compliments you're getting.  Maybe your friends see something you aren't seeing.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

OK, 59, recovering from major injury and surgery, half-cyborg, AND doing more activity and eating better than most people half your age? You are winning at life. Seriously awesome!

As for why you're not seeing changes- I second everyone else. I'd also say make sure you're not creating a lot of stress around food and exercise. The stress response can wreck havoc on Weight-loss efforts.

• Like 3

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

My advice is to be patient. You've absolutely got this and you just have to see through to your goals. It might take a little while to build back up to everything you were before you were hurt, but that's just a fact of life. Be confident knowing that you're doing very well and that you'll notice a change soon.

• Like 1