Is This A Good Exercise Routine To Get Stronger And Bigger ?????

sxo

I've always been a very tiny girl (5 feet, 88 lbs) and for as long as I can remember very weak. I'm 21 now and I've just recently started going to the gym in hopes of getting stronger and bigger but mostly just stronger, thankfully I have noticed a difference in my body from when I first started but as I continue going to the gym i'm not sure if i'm seeing any more results. I think it may have something to do with my exercise routine, I do a split routine for all my major muscle groups but I don't really switch up the exercises. For example, whatever exercises I do for leg day, I would just repeat for every leg day using heavier weights and doing less reps and more sets. So my question is can you get bigger and stronger doing the same exercise routines but increasing the weights you use for those exercises ?

My routine usually goes something like this

LEGS AND ABS
Plank 
Side bends
bicycle crunches or in and outs
some times i'll do weighted bridges 
sit ups
leg press
hamstring curl
calf raises 
and i'll either do deadlifts or barbell squats 

ARMS AND CHEST
bicep curls
dips
pull ups
hammer curls
overhead extension
dumbbell flys 
dumbell bench press
incline chest press
sometimes i'll do deadlifts as well on this day

SHOULDERS AND BACK
deadlifts
bent alternating dumbbell rows
cable row
dumbbell shoulder press
dumbbell raises both side and front 
one handed dumbbell rows
dumbbell shrugs

If I continue doing these exercises but using heavier weights will I be able to get bigger and stronger ?

This might be more of a warrior specific than a women specific question. Sorry but that just seems like a LOT of different things and I don't even know what some of them are.

Are you still progressing in strength? Getting "bigger" is limited by genetics and hormone profiles.

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

I've always been a very tiny girl (5 feet, 88 lbs) and for as long as I can remember very weak. I'm 21 now and I've just recently started going to the gym in hopes of getting stronger and bigger but mostly just stronger, thankfully I have noticed a difference in my body from when I first started but as I continue going to the gym i'm not sure if i'm seeing any more results. I think it may have something to do with my exercise routine, I do a split routine for all my major muscle groups but I don't really switch up the exercises. For example, whatever exercises I do for leg day, I would just repeat for every leg day using heavier weights and doing less reps and more sets. So my question is can you get bigger and stronger doing the same exercise routines but increasing the weights you use for those exercises ?

If I continue doing these exercises but using heavier weights will I be able to get bigger and stronger ?

Okay, so it sounds like you have seen some results and that is an excellent start.  I wouldn't get discouraged if you feel progress has slowed.  How long have you been going to the gym?  It can take some time to see results, so I would keep at it for a while before deciding nothing is changing.  If you're being consistent and nothing is happening then try changing your routine.  Another potential problem could be caloric intake.  If you're suddenly using the gym and exercising, but are still eating the same amount of calories, you probably won't see much muscle gain as your body doesn't have enough fuel to encourage growth.  Don't get discouraged; it may just take some time to figure out what works for you specifically.

I'll let some other people chime in with thoughts on those specific exercises/suggested routines.

p.s. - Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 2

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

In order to get bigger, you must be in a caloric surplus; that is, eat more calories than you burn. If you aren't in surplus, you aren't going to gain muscle mass, although you may continue to gain strength for a while. The program you describe looks more complex and time-consuming than necessary for the goal you mention - and if you're doing that split just once a week as a beginner, it probably is less effective than doing a full-body workout with fewer exercises every time.

I'd suggest you take a look at this Web site (starting with that page, but look around from there) if you want to learn more about building your own program. But as to existing programs for your goal, I'd suggest you check out All Pro's, which aims for a balance of strength, size, and simplicity. Just a couple suggestions for your consideration. :)

• Like 1

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Hi there. I do Stronglifts 5x5 and have seen nice progress. Very simple program...I modify the starting weights and always adjust for my own warm ups when the app doesn't supply one. Like the ladies before me have suggested, take a look at your calories and protein intake. If you are lifting heavy and not seeing any gains, you probably aren't eating enough to support muscle growth. I would also support the suggestion of checking out the power lifting section...you can find some good info on routines & nutrition. Good luck :)

Just chiming in here- as usual I'm just echoing. 

Everyone here gave solid advice. Those are all excellent exercises, however if you're starting out and don't have someone to guide you a program like Stronglifts Starting Strength is an excellent place to start and be able to track your strength. 

Also, like everyone said, calorie surplus. Figure out your TDEE and eat 5-10 percent above it to make sure you're gaining mass- if you don't gain mass you can't build muscle! 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both